After several failed attempts he had to face the facts. Cooking wasn’t his forte. Had never been. And it was quite apparent that Marie wasn’t Michelin material either. Scent of burnt butter and flour filled the room, and what had once been a kettle reminded now a smoking cauldron. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, making the girl at his side flinch.

“You looking for a girl, pal?”
“I’m not your pal, but as it happens, I’m looking. Why?”
“Heard of Magneto’s new place yet? He’s got one sweet set-up going on. This great big mansion, filled with chicks. And the best part of it? It’s free!”


“Okay. Plan B. Let’s go and grab some burgers,” he huffed. Marie’s head drooped. Failure. It was written all over her. She had failed, and now would be a perfect time for a punishment. Little whipping perhaps for her shortcomings as a cook? He shook his head, but decided not to react. Instead he went around her and reached for his jacket, opening the front door. Sound of it forced her to lift her gaze. There was hope, a shimmer of it. And when he smiled that shimmer escalated to something, almost resembling an honest smile.

Getting in hadn’t been a problem. Getting out with the girl posed a challenge of sorts. It really got difficult after.

The girl standing behind the cash register gave them thorough look, then popped her gum and rang his order. He knew what the girl was thinking. He didn’t care, just picked up burgers from the counter and steered Marie out. Eating at the greasy diner under the watchful eyes of the cook and the cashier felt like a bad idea. Marie was still jittery around strangers, and the pair that run the diner looked just a tad bit too curious.

Max was the only one he trusted enough. Well, basically Max was a grade A asshole who couldn’t have found his own ass even if he tried with both hands, but the guy had healthy attitude towards life. He preferred it instead of slow and painful death that Logan had to offer should he screw up anything.
“Take care of her. Your life depends on her well-being.”
“Yeah, yeah… Like always.”


She ate silently her share of the meal. Not a hint of complaint or revulsion over rare burger he had ordered from a girl who had preferred fresh salad over any kind of burger just a month ago.

“I was thinking…” He started, hoping against hope that she’d interrupt her with some witty remark. She opted to stay silent and wait for him to continue.
“Perhaps we should head back home. There’s not a hell of a lot I can do for you. I… I thought I could help, but…”
“Home?” It was barely audible, scratchy whisper, but it came from her lips, and shone from her eyes. An actual question. He resisted the urge to grab and kiss her. Instead he nodded.
“Home. Back to Xavier’s place. I thought this would be better for you, tag along with me and get over what happened at your own pace, but it’s not working.”
There was a question in her eyes, burning through loud and clear, but he wasn’t going to answer before she actually asked it. Her brows scrunched from frustration, then she cleared her throat.

“I… I will get better. With you,” she whispered, her gaze darting back and forth between his face and the floor. He shook his head.
“No, you don’t.”
“I will,” she whispered, tone of her voice more confident.
“Is that a promise?” He asked. She huffed, then braced herself and looked him straight in the eye.
“I promise.”