Story Notes:
This is a series I am writing based on the music from Matchbox Twenty's CD Mad Season...
Yes it's true that I believe
I'm weaker than I used to be
I wear my heart out on my sleeve
and I forget the rest of me


I'm not the same man I was before I met her. She has changed me in ways I never thought imaginable. She's made me soft. Not to everyone, but definitely to her. I mean, I go to the mall. I listen to country music. I can even name all those damn boy bands. Scooter likes to make fun of me. Then I do a little training with him, kick his ass and he shuts up for a few days.

Yes there's times I've been afraid
and there's no harm in that I pray
cuz I'm more frightened everyday
someone will take the hope I have away


If you had asked me a few months ago if I could be happy like this my response would have been a definite HELL NO! But here I am the way I am and I am happy. Truly happy. I don't remember ever being truly happy. I'm not even as curious about my past as I used to be. I've decided my past isn't as important as my future and Marie is my future. Have I ever mentioned how I am the only one she lets call her Marie? Both of those young pups have tried and she quickly set them straight that they were not allowed to call her that. The Cajun took it in stride, but Ice-boy didn't take it well.

But you gotta give it up
to get off sometimes
you gotta give it up
to get off sometimes
you gotta give it up
to get off sometimes I know


I'm scared I might lose her. I don't think I am good enough for her and I know I'm not the best influence. This doesn't mean I am going to give her up, but what if one day she wakes up and realizes what a bastard I am. Because I am. I am mean and rough and rude. For all outward appearance we are total opposites. She is soft and feminine and smells nice. I am none of those things. Ever.

All the times I've given in
you fit me like a second skin
and one by one I will begin
to wear you on the days I'm feeling thin


I don't know what I would do if one day she decided she didn't need me anymore. Or she didn't want me anymore. What if this is all just misplaced gratitude for saving her and helping her. A hero complex or something. I couldn't bear that.

You'd better stop, stop, stop
using me up
you'd better stop
cuz I've had enough
and I'm ready to forget the reasons
that keep me here