Author's Chapter Notes:
They finally get what the other ones been wanting, things go right for a change and we get a little piece of heaven just before the dawn of the new day.
He’d been trying to get the damn tie right for an hour, he’d already seen Scott and Xavier pass his room going down to the dining room. Frustrated he tried again and ended up with it almost across his shoulder. A growl erupted and he threw the tie at the open door, it was caught by Kurt.

His expression was one of concern. “Is everything alright Logan?” He felt like snapping a quick answer but seeing the depth of concern on Kurt's face he kept it down and just shook his head.
“It’s that damn thing!” He pointed at the tie in his grasp. “No matter how hard I try I just can’t get it right.” Kurt walked in a little further, his voice hesitant.
“I can help you, if you want me too?” He looked as if Logan would spear him for talking to him. Blowing off steam he nodded. Kurt approached and stood him in front of the mirror and brought the tie round his neck. With a few deft moves the tie was done, smoothed down and looking fine. Smiling Kurt moved away toward the door. Before he left he stopped him.

“Kurt?” His amber eyes caught his
“Yes Logan?”
“Do you love her?” The question wasn’t wasted on him and his tail moved slowly from side to side as he thought about his answer.
“Yes I do, as much as I love god for bringing her to me. She reaches the me that I want to be, helps me to get to it everyday. Or at least to try.” His hands played with the small crucifix that hung from his waistcoat. “Yes Logan I love her. I’d die before I hurt her.” He scanned his face as if looking for the reason why he’d asked him.

Smiling Logan spoke, “I’m glad you found each other Kurt, in this world finding one person who loves you as you are is hard. If you’re like us it’s even harder.” Kurt could see the loneliness and hurt in his face, felt the burden on his bones and in his heart.
“Are you ready to go down now?” Kurt held the door open with his tail. Smiling as he got up and walked over to him.
“Ororo sent you didn’t she?” Kurt just smiled and opened the door wider. “Damn those women.” As he passed out into the corridor Kurt answered.
“Ah, but without them, life would be damnation would it not?” Smiling into his face and feeling the laughter wash over him, relaxing his muscles and easing the tension inside himself.

************************************************

When they reached the dining room he had to wait a moment, the doors were wide open and he could see the groups of young women and men dancing, talking and having fun. He almost bolted when he noticed Jubilee and Kitty walking toward him, he ducked inside the room looking for Marie. Pulling on his gloves he walked slowly around the outside of the room, searching for her. He’d almost done a full circuit when he met up with Scott and Xavier, they both did a double take when they saw him. Straightening his back he met their respective gazes full on, Scott was smiling and he waited for his comment.

“Nice suit Logan. Where ‘did’ you hire it from?” The sarcasm was evident. Logan was going to enjoy this.
“Nice place, very exclusive. Only tailored for those who can afford it. Want to see the label?” He opened his jacket and flashed the inside, Scott’s eyes looked at the inside and he realised exactly where it had come from. “Well, you had so many and Ororo thought you wouldn’t mind, seeing as it’s a special occasion and all.” He watched as his mouth opened and closed like a fish. Xavier was trying not to laugh at the cheek of it all.

Logan could scent Scott getting wound up and he was just itching for him to say something when the crowd went quiet. Everyone turned to the doors and there she was.
Stood in the doorway, dressed in a royal blue silk evening dress, long gloves, wrap and a very nervous smile. Logan was stunned, he could feel all the men in here take a breath as they realised what she had become.

The dress she wore hugged all the right places and accentuated her already blossoming figure. Xavier coughed lightly and Logan took the hint, pushing through the still crowd he walked over to her. As he approached he saw her eyes widen and her pupils dilate as he approached, a freshly washed scent of her wafted to him, telling him how nervous she really was. Holding out a gloved hand she took it and they both entered the room arm in arm. His attention was all on her, her face, her hair, her dress, everything. Losing himself in what she had become when he wasn’t looking, the scraggly teenager into this beauty by his side.

They walked over to Xavier and Scott, Logan pushed out his chest a little more, setting his shoulders back. This was his moment as much as it was hers, Xavier knew how much he felt for her. They’d discussed how it should be handled, she was young but she needed him too. Over the past few months Marie had been practising her control with Xavier and Logan didn’t doubt that Xavier knew the real reason why it had been so important to her.

Smiling he looked Scott in the eye and saw the pain of Jean’s loss still there, it knocked a bit of his pride out of him and he offered Scott her arm. A look of understanding passed between them, she was his, the dog tag around her wrist said that but he wouldn’t stop him from dancing with her. Xavier and Logan watched them go into the crowd and dance, eyes followed their movements and hearts were broken that night.

Xavier broke the silence first.
“She’s beautiful isn’t she?” He looked down at him and saw nothing but the enjoyment of others dancing and having fun.
“Yeah, she is.”
“It’s strange how quickly they grow up, it seems only yesterday that she was a child. Nowhere to go and no-one to care for her.” He looked up at Logan. “Then you found her and we brought you both here.”

Xavier paused for a moment. “Do you ever wonder where you’d have been without meeting her, or us for that matter?” Puzzled he turned into his calm gaze.
“No I don’t suppose I ever have. I’ve just lived each day at a time.” Like an animal, was the thought that finished his speech.
“I have Logan, and without you both we’d all be dead by now.” He looked at Xavier with a mix of surprise and astonishment on his face. “It’s true, just think how often you’ve saved our lives, the children’s and my own. Without you we wouldn’t be here.” He looked out into the party swirling around them. “Ororo wouldn’t have Kurt, Damask would still be a slave, I’d be dead or a vegetable doing Styrker’s bidding, Scott would be too. But most of all Marie might have died in Laughlin City.” His head snapped round to see Marie dancing past with Kurt, laughing and joking, her eyes meeting his and her joy at seeing him plain in her steady gaze.

“What do you mean Prof? How do you know? She could have found someone else to hitch with.”
“True but then Erik would have found her all the easier and used her in his plan. Killing the rest of us with the backlash that would have come from it. I have thought about this for a long time Logan, maybe fate sent you in each others way on purpose. A bit like Ororo and Kurt.” Xavier smiled as he watched Peiter and Damask move across the floor, both of them unsure of the steps and just going with the general flow of the dancers.

“Just like them, we dance in time to fate, hoping we get the steps right as we go. We don’t know until the music is over whether or not we got them right or wrong.” He watched the floor as the music wound down.
“I just hope I can keep up with the music.”
“Oh I don’t know Logan, you seem to be doing alright.” A quirky smile played at the edges of his lips. “I think it’s time for her presents or Jubilee is going to explode.” Wheeling himself over to the table laden down with presents Xavier called out for attention and the room went quiet. He made a small speech about how far Marie had come in the few years that she had been there and he watched her blush as each person spoke. He kept to the side of the room, just watching, allowing her to feel the centre of attention, to feel special, to feel normal.

******************************************************

It took an hour for her to open all of them, he’d moved outside to the cool air of the night. Feeling the cold settling on him like a jacket, remembering the last time he’d been out in the snow with her. Remembering the fight he’d had on his hands, trying to keep Sabretooth away from her and onto him. Ready to defend her with his life if need be. His breath fogging as he played back the memory of him coming back and seeing her in Bobby’s arms. The hurt he’d felt and suppressed because she was happy, she’d found someone else who’d cared for her, loved her but it wasn’t what she’d thought and he’d been away again when that had happened.

Turning round he watched the bright lights dancing around in the room, each one a new life, a new start made possible by Xavier and the school. The brightest of them all, Marie, looking happy but there was something on her mind. He relaxed and let her mind flow into his. She was looking for him, getting worried because she couldn’t see him anywhere, wondering if he had left already. He gently sent a warmth out to her, reassuring her that he was still around. She caught it and stopped dancing, her eyes met his and she smiled. Waving him over he left the cold snow and returned to the warmth of the school. She stood there, defiant in her gown her gloved hands held out to him.

Hesitatingly he took her hands and she began to move to the music. He stayed still, he looked at her with pleading eyes and she stopped moving. “What’s wrong?” Her voice moved over him like warm honey, sending shudders down his spine and waking the animal beneath.
“I can’t dance.”
She showed a little bit of surprise but then she rallied and they moved off the floor and sat together on a window seat. Just being close to her made him feel alive, the touch of their hands, the feel of her dress on his skin. He could feel his need for her rising, but he wouldn’t rush her, this was her day, her night to shine. She could feel him, his need in her mind and she caught his thought and sent it back to him.
“Do you?” She smiled and nodded, her eyes calm but her pulse racing, her scent blooming as she rose from the seat. “We can’t use my room, it’s already occupied.” Understanding her meaning he had a quick look for Damask and Peiter, they were missing. He hoped he had a good constitution, he’d need it.

Smiling he walked Marie out of the party, the next gift to her was his and he’d been waiting a long time to give it to her. It was going to be perfect, as perfect as it can be when you can’t touch the one you love.

******************************************************

As they walked down the quiet corridors, he shared his dreams of her, his thoughts, his need for her. He could feel as she received them, her own mind open to his visions of her, of what he wanted to do to her. She stopped at the foot of the stairs, her scent suddenly uncertain. He scanned her face for doubt and found some there, lodged in her eyes. Pulling himself up on the same step he moved closer to her, letting her feel his tension, his need. Hoping that she’d understand that he’d been patient so long and that he needed her, now. Eyes burning into her, lips gently brushing hers, sending a wave of pleasure through her that he could visibly watch as it passed over her. She did want him but how much she wasn’t sure, there was the doubt.

Breathing faster he took her hand and led her up the stairs, almost running. Her dress caught on the stair and he picked her up, easily coping with the extra weight. Her hand feeling the smooth expanse of his back, listening to the silk as it tore when he shifted her into a better position to carry. He made the stairs in record time. Positioning her to open his door he looked deep into her. “You sure this is what you want?” Her face was flushed and her pupils were wide, she nodded her approval, too wound even to speak.

He put her down inside the room and turned to lock the door, inside he couldn’t believe that this was happening now. All the long waiting and hoping was over, he had her at last and now he wondered if he could do it. Looking at her stood there in his room, like a bright flower in a foxhole. Impossible but alive, beautiful but deadly, he needed her more than he did anything else. He had done since Liberty Island, when he’d almost lost her.

He watched as she undid her hair, watching it fall across her skin, her wrap now on the bed. The white picked out by the blue of her dress. So beautiful that he thought she would break if he touched her, shatter into a thousand pieces like the dream she was. Turning toward him she moved closer, her hands deftly undoing his jacket and sliding themselves beneath the fabric. Her gloves slid over the silk, making him growl with pleasure at the feel of the material across his skin. The pressure of her fingers on his back, curling into claws as she dragged them deep into his flesh. The animal rose and he welcomed it’s release, bending his lips to hers he kissed her. The charge from her was electric, her heat, her need was enormous and he almost drowned in the tide of feelings coming from her. Still connected he gripped her tightly to him and she could feel him rise, trying to force his way free and into her.

Feeling him against her she pushed into him further, grinding her hips against him, setting the nerve endings on fire. Pulling away from their kiss her eyes found his and he saw all doubt gone, all resistance fallen and lost. Shrugging out of his jacket he tore the ruined shirt away, allowing her hands access to his skin. Picking her up he wrapped her legs around his waist and walked to the wall, supporting her with one arm as his own gloved hand ran up her bare thigh watching as she moaned with the feel of his hand running up the soft pale skin there.

Her legs gripped his waist tightly, the muscle there tight and strong, the silk keeping a barrier between their skin. Her hand reached underneath her and she found his belt, her fingers clumsy as she tried to rush, tried to force the moment. He held her hand steady and he helped her to undo it, slowly. Their breath heavy and the room still, making each movement last, making each piece of sensory information imprint itself fully. The slide of the zipper as it fell, the feel of her silk lined hands as she helped him free. Sliding her hand down the hard shaft, stroking it until he felt it would break. Leaning her back against the wall, he freed his hand and she heard the ‘snick’ as his claws slid out, gently sliding his hand under the dress, finding the side of her underwear he cut it away.

Repeating the exercise on the other side she felt the air brush against her, making her gasp, feeling the heat from him rise into her. Pressing herself against his skin, he felt his stomach warm with her heat, could smell her readiness for him. Felt her slide across his skin as she pushed herself back against the wall, forcing him to move closer, to be inside her. His eyes met hers as he moved her into position, her sex warm against his skin. He didn’t need to ask her, the hunger inside her gaze spoke for her. He knew it might hurt her, she’d never allowed anyone this close, ever.
He’d be her first and he wanted to remember it, every moment, every touch, every breath, every scent, all of it.

She moved the last piece of silk between them, now they could touch, now it became dangerous, just how he liked it. He brought himself up slowly, watching her face as she felt his head touch her lips and slide smoothly past, her sides as smooth as the silk had been. Feeling the heat from her wash over his nerves, making him want to force himself home. Keeping his back taught and controlled he pushed past and deep into her. Watched as her eyes widened with shock and a little pain but then the pleasure overrode everything. Forgetting about being unable to touch she slid herself down onto him, moving her hips downwards to meet his upward movement until they were locked together.

*****************************************************

Their minds mixed and he felt her rush into his mind, showing him everything of her, the time she’d crept into his room and lifted the covers to just look at him sleeping naked. The need she’d felt to just touch him, to stroke his skin but afraid she’d wake him. Her watching him dig the pond that day and wondering if he felt the same way about her as she did, if she’d ever get the chance to make love to him. Wondering what his claws would feel like against her naked skin. Watching as she wandered around his mind, finding his own secrets. Seeing him make love to Damask but thinking about her, her hair, her face, her smell and the change in him when he’d known what he’d been running away from and why.

He shared his memories of seeing her on his claws and wanting to make it all better, to make all of it go away and then she’d touched him. Filling him with her, with her need for him, to be there, to love her and the joy he’d felt at finding it there. He’d always been hers, since she’d found him. She’d rescued him, gave him purpose, given him life. He’d chosen to wander alone until he’d died, Alkali Lake had done that to him. She’d given him hope, just by being there, a light in the darkness to guide him home.

He felt her warmth as she held the memory tight in her mind, her hips already moving up, rocking him inside her. Sending fire down his nerve endings, the animal howling to be released, to take, to fuck. Lifting her onto him he pulled away from the wall, letting gravity pull her closer. Watching her skin flush as he filled her completely, her tight muscle gripping him, tying him in place. Locked together he moved over to the bed, sat down and leaned back on his elbows. Resting her knees on the bed she could move and she put her hands on his hard stomach, pushing herself back and forwards on him. Not knowing how she knew what she wanted, just doing it, letting her instincts guide her movements. Her eyes glazed with the feel of him, the completeness it gave, the depths it reached and the wounds it healed, inside.

Pushing up with his hips meeting each move, feeling her excitement rise with thrust forward. Her scent filling him, he wanted to take her, to fuck her, to be an animal with her, to show her all of him. But he couldn’t, not yet, this was hers. She needed him, needed this, to touch, to love, to feel, to know he loved her and would never hurt her.

******************************************************

Watching as she moved faster and faster, burning the memory of her into his mind, having to steady her with his gloved hands. Gently manipulating her so she ground against the skin on his stomach, sending waves of pleasure through her as she stimulated herself. Her breath was coming in great gulps now and he could feel the beginnings of his own building, feeling it rise within him as her muscles contracted against him. Her fingers gripped his flesh tightly, digging themselves deep into him, almost gouging. Sending the animal inside him crazy. Watching as the scent of her exploded out from her body, her fingers curled, hurting him, as the wave hit her. Her mind exploding, showing him everything, all of her, at once.

He could see her first kiss, her first moment of terror when the boy had almost died. Her near misses with the truck drivers she’d hitched with, the disaster with Bobby and the nights of tears. The touch of Damask against her skin and her joy at feeling someone actually touch her without being afraid. He saw all of it, his own face saying that he’d take care of her and understanding how much that had kept her together. How much she had needed someone to talk to her, to want her around, to care for her. Someone who was strong enough not to be afraid of her, someone like him.

Her eyes were screwed shut, barely breathing, her face red and her hair loose and plastered to her skin. Still riding the emotions, the barrage of feeling that radiated from her insides. Pushing hard into her he watched as her eyes snapped open and met his. She still needed, wanted, desired and clenched herself against him making him wince with her strength. He moved, she was slick and as hot as a furnace, nipples standing proud of the silk dress he rubbed his gloved fingers over them gently. Watching as each pass made her moan and writhe on him, exciting the animal further.

He’d had enough of gloves, he wanted to feel her under the silk, under the thin barrier that kept him alive. Taking off the white kidskin he freed his fingers, flexing them on her body, running his hands over her as he rocked her gently forwards with one hand. Scooping her up and onto him he turned her onto the bed, laying her underneath him. Hooking her heels on the wooden base of the bed she positioned herself, he’d only partly slid out of her with all the movement. His naked hand touched her thigh, seeing her eyes widen again as she realised what he was doing. Her mouth open, about to speak when his hips lunged down, sending him deep into her, silencing her. His eyes staring into her, almost boring into her soul as he moved.

Hands snaked under the dress, holding her hips raised to meet each stroke, her own hands wrapped around his back. Trying to find purchase on him, trying to grip him but her gloves wouldn’t allow her. He felt her frustration. “Take em off,” his voice deep, growling almost. His eyes alive and full of fire, “I want to feel you touch me, feel your claws in my back.”

Not obeying wasn’t an option. Stripping the long gloves off her arms she touched him, they both waited for the sensation to start, the draining and mingling of thought but it never came. Her fingers gripped his skin and dug in with each new stroke, her grip spurring him, the animal rising and she felt it there, wanting to be harder, rougher. Wanting to bite, to tear, to just fuck, just for the pleasure it gave. Meeting his gaze again she whispered ‘show me’. The animal reared and tried to force its way, but he slowed, didn’t allow it’s reign. Not now, not tonight, no matter how much she wanted him too, no matter how much he wanted to. He knew the animal would want to hurt her, make it painful. She wasn’t ready for that.

Shaking his head he looked at her and she knew there was no chance of winning tonight. Speeding his own movements up, he took her mind away and brought her back to now. Pushing his hands into the soft mattress either side of her shoulders, his fingers digging into the softness under them. She moved her hands under his, locking her fingers with his, feeling the strength of his grip as he dove deep inside her.

Concentrating on his own reactions, trying to slow the feelings already rising inside him, trying to reverse the flow, to make it last. Feeling himself unconsciously speed up, bringing her hips close so each stroke counted, feeling her heat burn his skin as they touched. Her eyes half closed, lost in the rhythm, her body half lifted with his strength, resting on her shoulders, hair scattered across the bed. Taking everything in, every detail, every moment. Feeling as the fluids moved, making his movements harder, stronger. Watching her lips mouth his name, needing her to shout, to speak.

Almost there, he lifted her bodily off the bed. Standing with her legs wrapped around him and her eyes wide open as she saw how close he was. Putting her hands on his back and raking him, feeling the skin tear as her nails dug in. Feeling him pull her harder and harder into himself, as if he was pushing up and through her. Her own face red and her pupils dilated, she was coming again and this time he’d be with her.

As the first waves hit, their eyes locked onto each other, both of them felt the rush as he came inside her, feeling like molten metal running inside her body. Pleasurable but so very hot, almost scalding the soft flesh around it. Crying out as he filled her, he knew he’d be heard but he didn’t care, nothing mattered but this, this moment, this piece of time they had together. Their moment, their bond, their love. He heard her breathe his name as he came, bonding them, tying them together.

Holding her tight against him as the last of the fire ebbed away, leaving them both tired and happy. Her head resting on his shoulder, her arms wrapped around his back, feeling the cuts heal, tracing them with her fingers. He didn’t care that it was dangerous, they’d managed so far, she hadn’t killed him, hadn’t even drained him of a single thought. They’d done something much better, they’d found each other, shared who they were, what they were. A loner who’d had nothing but nightmares and a girl who’d wanted to die before she’d be touched.

He nudged her head with his getting her attention. She looked into his eyes and he saw the warmth she’d needed inside staring back at him. “Want a shower?” She nodded and a smile crept across her face, lighting up her eyes. He caught the image as it passed her mind. “Oh no missy, I need some time to recover. You can wear an old man out you know. ”

Looking down at her dress and seeing marks all over it, “I think we ought to get you washed and into something else.” His gaze met hers and a small blush was starting out across her face.
“I don’t know how Kitty’s going to like it when I hand it back.” Bringing his lips to hers he kissed her, allowing her to explore his mouth. Eager, tasting and hungry, a little hard but then who had she had to practise on? Sliding out of her he let her down onto the floor, her dress falling back and covering her. Moving himself a little so as not to leave another mark on the already ruined dress. Letting her go and sending her to the bathroom he watched her walk across the floor, her movements unsteady and seeing her wince a little. Smiling as he thought about that walk, the tell tale swing that was like a calling card of the young virgin. Looking down in surprise as he’d recovered a little sooner than he’d thought he’d need. Hearing the water come on and listening to the fall of silk he might go and see if she was ready too.

The bathroom was already steamy when he went in, pushing off his shoes, peeling off his trousers and socks he stepped in behind her. Hearing her surprise as he touched her back letting the warm water run down between her breasts. Bending his head to kiss her shoulders and neck, biting the skin making her gasp. She made to turn round but he kept her back to him. Allowing his hands to roam over her skin, feeling their ridges move over the pale tones of her body. Closing her eyes she spoke, “But what if I?” He shushed her and continued to touch, to explore her skin. It didn’t matter, all that mattered was now, this touch, this place. He could always let go if she began to use her gift, but part of him doubted that he could, even if he’d wanted to.

Hands found her breasts, using his fingers he gently teased her nipples, watching as one of her hands reached for herself, feeling the other reach for him. Her grip surprisingly strong around him, holding her hand he loosened her grip, allowing her soft palm to gently pull against him. Looking over her shoulder as she played with herself, opening her lips and using practised strokes on her sex. He wondered how often she’d done this alone, as if to answer him she showed her thoughts. She’d been here before, in this room. His hands stopped momentarily as he followed the memory. She’d come in, explored the cupboard, nosed around, used the shower and had come twice while she’d been there. Wrapped in his old towel she’d brought herself to a shuddering climax, wondering if he would smell her here later.

But he’d been away and all traces of her scent had gone by the time he’d returned. He was here now and that was all that mattered, turning her round to face him he kissed her roughly, hungrily. She’d shown him what she’d done, what she’d wanted to happen. Wrapping her leg around his, she tried to move him into her but he moved her hips away, deeply growling his displeasure. No, he wasn’t ready yet, he wouldn’t be rushed. His eyes flashed a warning to her, this was his place, she’d invaded, she owed him.

The animal rose to the surface, allowing it free, his hand twisted in her hair. Pulling her head to his, hungry, needing to dominate, to stamp his authority in this room, this place where he was vulnerable. His fingers found her, slick, hot and open. He slid two fingers inside her and could feel the muscle try to give. Feeling her wince as his fingers stretched her, her kiss becoming harder, hungry. Her hand playing with her breasts, raising her excitement further as he used his thumb to caress her clit. The other wrapped around his shaft, beginning to get into a good rhythm, hard but gentle pressure. Moving his mouth away from hers he bit her shoulder, hard. Teeth making a deep impression on her pale skin, red and livid, marking her as his. She groaned as he bit, the pleasure being mixed with the pain of the bite, forever bonded together in her memory.

Speeding up the movements of his fingers, he began to thrust against her hand. Feeling the beginnings from deep within himself, feeling her writhe and shudder on his hand, bucking her hips toward him trying to milk every last drop of pleasure from it. Leaning her back as his mouth found her breast, sucking hard on the raised nipple he found there, flicking it with his tongue, biting gently. Hearing her shout his name, asking him to fuck her, to do anything but stop the pleasure the emotions and sensations.

Gritting his teeth as he felt his own pressure building, the animal needing release, wanting to slam into her, to lift her onto him and make her his. Grabbing her wrist he tightened her grip and helped her bring him home. As he came he growled her name and her eyes found his, he saw the fire there satiated, banked. Removing his fingers from her he slid them into his mouth and tasted her, watching as her eyes widened as he cleaned his fingers. Smiling at her blush that crept across her face, he pulled her to him and kissed her. Sharing the sweetness of her, feeling her hand release him and pull him closer to her as they stood under the warm rain. Just letting it’s gentle warmth ease them, allowing it to mix their scent together, completing their bond.

***************************************************

He dried her off and wrapped her in the towel she’d used once before, picking her up her carried her to his bed. Her bare arms wrapped around his neck, he didn’t know how they’d managed so far, but he didn’t want the spell to end. Opening the covers he slid her inside, knowing that she could hurt him at any moment, a simple touch that would end this dream. He could see her worrying about it, why it hadn’t happened yet. Picking up her gloves he handed them to her, seeing the pain in her eyes as she pulled them back on. Keeping a sheet between them he got in beside her, they both knew it made sense but it didn’t stop it from hurting.

She looked at him and found tears forming there, his own emotions free at last. Her own concerns lost, her hand touched them and wiped them away, freeing his vision of her laid in his bed. Hair still damp and her skin smelling of him. It was too perfect, as if he expected something to shatter it, to come and destroy all this happiness. “Don’t worry. I’ll do it. I’m nearly there now as it is. It was going to be a surprise for Christmas but I’ll show you now if you want?” He looked at her quizzically, what was she talking about?

Straightening herself in the bed, he could feel her mind concentrating, pulling everything down into her hands, just her hands. Seeing her make blocks on her wrists, keeping all her concentration on her wrists like two iron bands. When she was certain she opened her eyes, “Touch me, touch my hand. Only for a moment.” She pulled off one glove and put up one finger, he reached out and felt the pull of her mutation as soon as he touched her skin. Snatching his finger away he looked at her, his mind full of questions. “Now touch my face. Don’t worry I wont hurt you.” It wouldn’t have mattered if she could have he did it anyway. As his fingers touched her skin he expected to feel the same pull but nothing happened. She saw the shock register across his face.

“The professor’s been helping me, I should be able to control it completely by next year. Able to switch it on and off. I’ll be able to touch people, hold them, without wearing these.” Her gaze rested on her gloves, a small tear rolling down her face as she put the glove back on. His mind was swimming with all this new information, she had changed so much from what he remembered. She saw his confusion as it passed his eyes. “I didn’t keep it from you, I promise.” Her voice sounded hurt as if he was going to scold her. “I just wanted to be sure that I could do it before I told you.”
“But how did we manage this?” She blushed and her eyes looked away.
“I asked for help.” The connotations hit him. Xavier had helped her to control her power tonight. She’d planned this.

He felt confused, tricked, annoyed but overall happy. She saw his emotions run across his face and tried to keep up. “I didn’t mean to hurt you, I just wanted us to..” Her voice trailed off and she looked away from him, small tears already falling from her eyes. “Don’t be mad, please don’t be mad.” He lifted her face and looked in her eyes, wiping away the tears there he answered.
“Why would I be mad? Why should I be when I’ve got everything I’ve ever wanted? I didn’t know how long we had Marie so I just took each moment as it came. Next time I’ll know I can take my time.” She saw the sparkle in his eye and smiled.
“Next time? When’s that going to be?”
“Oh I don’t know, next birthday perhaps?” He laughed as she hit him and began to protest.

“Like your present then?” Seeing her smile from her soul he settled down next to her and felt the comforting weight of her against him. As they drifted off the sleep he caught the edge of a thought drifting away from them. Xavier. He’d have to thank him tomorrow but hopefully it wouldn’t become a habit. They’d be patient, let her gain strength in her ability and him in his trust for those around him.

Just before he fell asleep he wondered how Peiter had gotten on and if she’d worn him out yet? He’d know by tomorrow, but he was more concerned with the soft form next to him. Sighing he drifted off into sleep, free from nightmares now he had a light to hold.