Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan gets Damask back to the mansion and we get to see what everyone makes of her, including Marie. Scott gets a wake up call and Marie gets a new roomate.
Introductions
**************
The small gas station at the end of the trail had been like an oasis in the desert. They coasted in on fumes and he pulled the small truck into the back of the place. It was getting dark when they finally packed everything up and had cleaned everything they’d used.
Last night had been hard on them both, Damask had had to control her scent and he’d had to control his hands, not an easy task for either of them but they’d done it. They’d shared a bed without making a sexual advance on each other. It was as if they’d turned a new page that morning, Damask had been more open and had been asking about the school and what she could do there.

He found out about her true age then, by asking the right questions and adding up the years he finally worked out her age, twenty. She was so small and fragile she looked younger but as he knew himself, a bad diet can stifle any child. He’d answered her as best he could about the school and the pupils there, surprising himself about how much he actually noticed about the day to day running of it. He’d told her about the plane and seen her go pale, but she’d smiled when he told her he’d be with her all of the way home.

He made the phone call after they’d finished their last meal in the truck, going outside he’d seen the orange glow of the city ahead of him and took note of the road sign. They’d use that to find him, the Blackbird was good at navigation. They’d found him once, they could do it again.

The phone rang for an age till he heard the voice on the other end, it was Kurt. He sounded tired and stressed.
“Hey Kurt, its Logan.” The silence that met his voice was very disturbing and his senses picked up on something wrong. “What’s happening? What’s happened to Marie?” Kurt spoke eventually.
“Nothing is wrong, it’s just that things have been a little odd of late. The Professor has been talking to her lately. It’s just that since Jean left…” He trailed off and he could feel the small mans tears from his end, he still felt guilty for not being able to save her.
“I need some help Kurt, I’ve found another kid who needs a home. She needs the Prof,” his words surprised himself. “She needs all of us.”

They made quick arrangements and he hung up, if he knew Cyc he’d be here by morning. They decided to wait for their arrival, sitting outside of the truck, the night was warmer down from the mountains and Damask could easily sit without needing a fire but he built one anyway. Just watching the stars and listening to each others thoughts they passed the night away, laughing and joking about what they’d be doing in few hours time.

She fell asleep on his shoulder at around four in the morning and he didn’t wake her when he saw the Blackbird land in the clearing behind the gas station. Ororo had come to collect them, she was looking tired and worn when he met her. She picked up their meagre belongings and carried them to the plane as he carried a sleeping Damask in his arms. Settling her down in a seat, he buckled her in and moved forward to sit with Ororo. For a moment he was back in time, watching Jean drown under the wave of water, looking across to Ororo he noticed her eyes were holding tears. Blinking back his own he reached across to her. “It’s nice to see you Logan, we’ve needed you.” Her eyes said everything for her as she manoeuvred the Blackbird off the ground, he hoped his homecoming would be as welcome as her eyes were.

*******************************************************

The journey was quick, he’d forgotten how fast the Blackbird really was, by mid-morning they were home. Damask was still asleep buckled in when they landed, he could see Xavier was waiting for him. Cyc was nowhere to be seen, he decided to go and speak to Xavier first.

Walking down the ramp he never got used to the sight of Xavier in his wheelchair, that a mind so powerful couldn’t overcome his own bodies disabilities, that he couldn’t fly like Erik had. He knew he had the strength to do it and wondered why he didn’t. Xavier’s eyes sparkled in the autumn sun as he welcomed him back.
“Where did you get to? We were wondering if you were ever coming back, we have missed you, you know.” His face was open, honest and glad to see him but he could see the question forming behind his eyes.

“She’s in the Blackbird, names Damask. She’s been pretty badly used Prof, her gift is bit a poser for us.” Xavier’s eyebrow raised when he heard the word ‘us’ come from his lips. He noticed but carried on anyway. “She has this kind of pheromone that reaches the parts it usually takes a few beers to get at. The male population is going to have a hard time when she’s around.”

Xavier smiled. "But you seem to be unaffected? Is it really that much of a concern?” He looked for a show of humour in Xavier’s words and couldn’t find any, colouring a little and felt the brush of Xavier’s mind over his. He caught his eyes.
“You want to know anything, just ask me.” Annoyed and prickled by the feel of his mind over his he went back inside the plane. Xavier smiled to himself as he gleaned the thoughts of the passenger inside the plane, broadcasting them to the world in her dreams.

“Damask, Damask, it’s time to wake up. We’re here, we’re home.” Her face slowly surfaced from sleep and her body uncurled, stretching her muscles she moved against the seat she’d been sat in and felt the restraints on her. Panicking a little she started to murmur until he spoke. “It’s ok. I’m here Damask. We’re home. You slept through everything, its time to meet the Prof.” Unbuckling her seat he helped her up and out. Her steps uncertain and sleepy she brushed herself down and looked at him.

“Do I look presentable? Am I ok? Will he like me? Do I have to call him anything?” She was starting to panic. Her scent bloomed and flooded the Blackbird, making him shake his head to clear his thoughts. “I’m sorry Logan. I can’t help it, it always happens when I’m nervous.” Regaining his composure he held out his hand for her to hold.
“That’s ok, don’t worry about it. I’m sure everything will fine, it’s not as if he’s choosing a new horse you know.” Her eyes met his and he saw the countless times when she had been chosen like that. A new plaything to be sent back when they got bored of her. Squeezing her hand he spoke “It’s not like that anymore Damask. I’m here and the Prof isn’t going to hurt you, he may look a bit weird but hey don’t we all?” Laughing as they went he guided her out of the plane, her rich perfume moving ahead of them.

They found Xavier at the bottom of the steps, his face turned upward to see them. He heard a small inward breath as Xavier saw Damask, already flushed in the cheeks he must have been concentrating hard as he was not to be overwhelmed by her. Clearing his throat he spoke.
“Damask, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I hope we can help you here. Has Logan told you much about us?” He watched as Xavier’s eye’s never left her small frame, seeing the man struggle with the same thing he had been for the past few days. Regaining his composure he threw a thought to him.

Logan just smiled and repiled through the mental connection, keeping the words away from Damask.


He just looked at Xavier and winked. Clearing his throat Xavier spoke again. “Now would you mind if we went to the infirmary? Just so we can give you a health check, to make sure that everything is working as it should be?” Damask looked at him and her eyes filled with fear and her hands gripped his arm.
“Are you coming?”
Smiling he put his arm around her “Of course, do you think I’d let you wander round here without a chaperone?” Feeling a little more secure her scent dropped down a notch.

Facing Xavier she answered him. “Sure it’ll be fun. I’ve never seen a hospital except on tv.” Her face fell, “That was until I went blind.” Xavier turned to her and looked into her milky white eyes, seeing the patterning on her skin he threw a thought to Logan as they walked to the lift.