Author's Chapter Notes:
The Carnival is just starting and the night is only just beginning, there are delights for everyone, especially for Logan....
He couldn’t believe it, she’d just stiffened up and walked away as if it had been nothing, he could smell her hurt whether it was from him stopping or from his touching her in the first place he didn’t know. Catching her eye and seeing her blush rise and colour her cheeks he realised it had been because he’d stopped not that he shouldn’t have in the first place. They were nearly with everyone else and he didn’t want them to see her upset like this. Grabbing her arm and pulling her to a stop he turned her round to face him, his gaze falling on hers as she tried to show him a brave face, knowing he’d hurt her by not being able to control himself around her. “I’m sorry Marie,” using her name to show her he meant every word. “I didn’t mean to hurt you, just seeing you stood there…I’m sorry I shouldn’t have risked hurting you again.”

He watched as her eyes widened, as she listened to the words and the things he wasn’t saying, the way his fingers were holding her, light but strong. The way his head was leaned toward her, the look in his eye as he spoke to her, the way he was pulling her toward his own hips. He wanted her and he was spelling it out in movements and signals she couldn’t mistake for anything else. Raising her hand to his face, she stroked his skin as the cold wind blew through the carnival making her cloak flap around them both. His voice deepened as he pulled her closer to him, her hand sliding under the leather he wore. “Marie I’m sorry, I never meant to hurt you. Just that…” He struggled with the words as she snuggled under the coat, her hair protecting his skin as she held him.
“Ah know Logan, ah know. Ah had you riding around in here for a while remember?” Her eyes met his and she understood why he’d been pushing her away, he didn’t want her to suffer his life, to relive the pain he went through every time sleep overtook his frame. The next words out of her mouth almost stunned him, “Touch me Logan, please?”

His heart was hammering so hard he thought it’d break through his ribs, looking at her face, reading the need shining out to him he couldn’t refuse her. Seeing her lips covered with something glossy he just moved before she could know what he was doing. Holding her head still as he kissed her, feeling her fingers tense for a second then relax as she let herself fall into the embrace he had on her. Feeling her press herself against him as she let him hold her up, her entire body sliding against his making him rumble with pleasure. When he finally released her, her skin glowed under the make-up she was wearing and her eyes were sparking, he had her, all of her with only one kiss.

The rest of the world had disappeared for a second and there was only them, the two of them united until the voice of Jubilee cut through their world. Her tone high and shrill as she cheered, “YAY BOBBY!! Another one for the team!” Turning they saw the rest of the group stood around a booth, they were shooting targets to gain prizes. Pieter already had two bright coloured stuffed animals hanging off his arm with Kitty hanging off the other smiling and laughing as Bobby demolished the targets winning Jubilee a neon pink elephant with purple ears. Unwrapping herself from Logan Marie caught Jubilee’s gaze and her friends next comment earned her a deep rumbling growl that reached them through the loud music all around. “Well, looks like I’m not the only one to win a prize tonight, what you gonna do with him Rogue? Keep him locked up in your room or let him out once in a while?”
Bobby and John had the good sense to move her quickly out of the range of Logan, distracting her with the promise of more shiny prizes. Distracted Jubilee left with the two of them leaving them with the other couple Pieter and Kitty, who didn’t even notice them both as they walked side by side. They had eyes only for each other but Logan was watching for trouble as well as watching Marie. That was how he saw the attack coming before anyone else did, no matter where they went there would always be someone trying to cause trouble. It was just how the world worked.

Bobby was already falling by the time Logan got there, Jubilee was being held by a couple of rough looking men her hands useless as they pulled the wallet out of her hands. Letting go of Marie’s hand he flew over to them a small crowd had already gathered around, when Logan got close enough he could hear the accusations flying. “This little skank tried to steal my wallet!” Logan took one look assessed the situation and was about to act when a couple of carnival women pushed through the crowd and entwined themselves around the upset men. Logan watched as Bobby was helped up by John, the women were whispering something into the men’s ears and they suddenly forgot all about them. When the man let go of Jubilee Logan grabbed her quickly pulling her safely out of their range; her face was a picture. She looked totally flustered and unsure, by this time Pieter and Kitty were there with Marie, everyone looked as if they were waiting for something, for someone to throw a blow but it never happened.

The air felt charged as the women pulled the men away into a tent covered in faded gaudy pictures of women in semi clothed poses. Looking around the small group he had to protect Logan watched the crowd disperse slowly, the cultured tones of perfect English meeting his ears, as they did so the crowd shifted revealing the speaker. “I do apologise, sometimes people forget themselves at the carnival. Everyone comes to have fun and let off a little steam.” He nodded to the group of youngsters before making eye contact with Logan, “But then again we all have our ways of coping don’t we?” His smile was sincere but the look in his eyes made Logan’s skin crawl, the kids were all looking at the strangely dressed man but Jubilee couldn’t tear her eyes off his watch and chain hanging from his waistcoat. He could smell her sweat as she tried to keep her hands busy and her eyes away from the shining chain; the man was absently playing with it as he spoke to them all. “Please allow me to apologise,” he produced a set of tickets with his left hand out of the air.

“Please be my guests and come back to the carnival before we leave, these will let you onto any ride or any show for free. However, you can’t use them tonight, only tomorrow so will you be my guests after this unfortunate incident? Feel free to bring others, we open at 6pm anyone with a ticket can enter.” John was the first to reach out and he took them all, the gloved hand released the strip into his hand. Jubilee was moving forward toward the strange man dressed in top hat, grey suit and dark winter coat. Logan stopped her dead, a rumbling growl vibrating through her, enough to shake her into keeping still. There was something he didn’t like about this part of the carnival, it made his skin itch. Looking at the rest of the kids, he could see them wondering exactly what was going on, the smiling calm face of the man in front of them wasn’t any help.

Keeping his voice level and calm Logan spoke loud enough for them all to understand and hear him. “Come on, we’re leaving,” Shifting Jubilee behind him to go into Marie’s arms he backed away keeping himself between the smiling man and the kids. Marie held her friend as they left the carnival, Kitty also at her friends side their questions being fired at her as the rest of the boys kept a ring around them as they walked. Pieter at the front, Bobby on the left and John on the right with him taking up the rear, finally turning around when he thought he had enough distance between him and the strange man with the sharks smile. He’d be asking a few questions tonight when they got home, like what exactly had happened back there and who the hell owned the damn carnival. Shifting the rest of the group outside the entrance across the road Logan was pleased to see Kitty had her mobile out and was asking for a pick up. Jubilee had her head down and was quiet, her hand locked tightly in Maries own and her eyes were moist. It took more than a small fight with idiots to spook Jubilee and he’d resolve it before the night was out.

Sending a look over the road into the carnival Logan noticed the man hadn’t moved a muscle from where they’d left him, his smile was fixed on them all. Slowly he doffed his top hat and bowed low, Logan kept his gaze riveted to him as he slowly rose back up. The face that met his eyes made him doubt what he was seeing, the skin was parchment thin, the eyes sunken and shrivelled. Sharp white teeth protruded from under blackened gums where a black tongue danced as the laughter deep and earth rich met his ears. The skeleton figure turned and walked away, the cane held in a bony grip, replacing the top hat covering the worms and soil in his matted scalp. Shaking himself he focussed on the rest of the kids, Pieter was alert now looking for trouble and dressed in his costume he exuded a threatening potential. Kitty and Marie were wrapped around a frightened Jubilee; her gaze darting out at the people who were passing by and gripping her guardians each time someone tall passed by. Bobby and John were watching the road for the van, John’s hand absently rubbing his fingers together as if he’d gotten something on them. Watching as he slapped Bobby on the back using the same hand as he pointed to the lights of the van heading their way. Ororo was driving, seeing the boys turn toward him Logan caught a shadow over them that passed quickly, putting it down to the lights all around he didn’t think anything of it, none of them would until later.

The journey home was quiet, Logan driving home with Ororo riding shotgun, the rest of the group was quiet, too quiet and Ororo looked at the faces in the back. Her dark calm gaze hitting Kitty full on, “What happened child?” Kitty’s answer was calm but her words were filled with malice, “What always happens when we try to be normal, we got attacked and Jubilee was hurt. Logan managed to get her away from them, don’t worry he didn’t hit them, they got bored when the rest of us came up.” John chimed in.
“Yeah the carnival manager gave us free tickets for tomorrow to apologise.” Ororo looked at the thin thread of tickets held up by John, her eyes almost deceiving her as they swayed in the movement of the van, for a moment she could have sworn they shifted on their own.
“It may not be a good idea to go back John, especially if you’ve had an encounter already.” Bobby answered her this time his face filled with hope.
“Well he did say that only people with tickets can gain entry tomorrow night, the main carnival is leaving and it’ll only be a small version of tonight’s one. Old fashioned booths and stuff, not many electric rides some steam ones like the Ferris Wheel, their putting it up tonight.” Ororo listened to the words and felt them soothe her fears, if the event was ticket only then they should have a better chance at being safe. That way the only people who were allowed to go would be responsible, turning in her seat to look at the faces of the kids she could see the light of hope in Bobby and John’s eyes. Kitty and Jubilee were non-plussed and Marie wasn’t particularly bothered until Logan piped up.
“If their going tomorrow so am I, there’s something there I don’t trust, something wrong.” He didn’t mention the appearance of the carnival owner to anyone, he wasn’t even sure himself if he’d seen it or not. But if he had then there was something more to that thing than rides and booths.

Ororo took in the serious look he had on his face, the set of his jaw and the tone of his words. He meant every word, his concern was real and she smiled laying her hand on his arm as he turned toward home.
“I think I’ll be joining you also, it can’t hurt to have another pair of eyes watching their back can it?” Logan didn’t answer but the smile she caught from Rogue was enough to assure her she’d said and done the right thing. The rest of the journey home was quiet, Jubilee hugging the elephant Bobby had won for her tight to her chest, looking for all the world like the lost child she had been when she’d first come to Xaviers. Something had spooked her and Logan wanted to know what it had been, what had made her steal the wallet? Why had her gaze been riveted to the watch, did she want that as well or was it something else? Marie had her arm around her friend and was pulling her into her grip so her head was resting on her shoulder. He’d use Marie to find out, there was something about the carnival, something that he couldn’t put his finger on, something wrong. Shaking his mind clear he just concentrated on the road, leaving the lights and music behind him, not seeing Bobby and John look out of the back window together, dark smiles etched on their faces.

Back in their room Jubilee just threw herself into her bed, the piles of blankets and covers quickly sorted out as she stripped down under the covers. This wasn’t normal for her; usually she’d parade around listening to her music as she got ready for sleep. Giving them all a good show before she finally shut the noise she called music off and gave them some quiet time. Marie hovered near her bedside as she waited for Jubilee’s head to appear above the covers, when it did, she reached out touching her friends tear stained cheek. “What happened Jubes?” Her friends eyes were water filled as she looked at her a thin smile covering her face as she shook her ebony locks, the first tear trickling down. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” Marie quirked an eyebrow and the gesture made a small hint of a smile cover Jubilee’s face. “You ought to watch those gestures chica, your even beginning to look like him now.”

Marie’s face didn’t change and her look just deepened knowing the potential of the stare on her face. Blowing out a stream of air Jubilee sat up in bed, the covers wrapped tight around her. “You remember me telling you about my mall days?” Marie nodded, Jubilee had told her of her exploits at living on the streets, using malls to steal food, clothing, whatever she’d needed. “Well for a moment I was back there and this guy’s wallet was just hanging out. I mean I was starving Rogue, I could feel my ribs and I just took it, when I had it in my hand everything went back to normal. I would have gotten away with it too if it hadn’t been for the creepy guy with the top hat.” Marie’s face frowned, “What?”
“Yeah he tapped the guy on the shoulder and pointed to the wallet I had in my hand, that’s when the shit hit the fan.” Jubilee reached out to her friend and clutched her arm tightly, “I didn’t mean to Rogue, I really didn’t. I know that’s all behind me now but for a while I was back there you know, alone scared and hungry. If it hadn’t have been for Logan I don’t know what I’d have done, it took me a while to remember where I was and who I was with. There’s something screwy with that place Rogue; I’m not going back tomorrow night and next year I think I’ll stay home for the trick or treaters. Halloween is no longer my favourite holiday.”

Seeing her friend calmer Marie let her settle down to sleep, her own mind filled with the images of a scared Jubilee. She’d come on in leaps and bounds since she first came here according to Storm, when she’d first come she’d been afraid to look anyone in the eye just in case she got noticed. Now she’d be the first to find out about someone, she’d even been nosy enough to bug Logan when he’d first gotten here. Shadowing him as he’d gone around the school with the Professor, learning everything she could about him so she could spread it around the grapevine.

Seeing Jubilee wrapped up against the dark in her bed, Marie knew she couldn’t sleep yet she had to go and see Logan first. They had unfinished business of their own, his touches on her had told her that her wishes and half hoped dreams were achievable. He did think about her and in the way she’d never hoped could be real, it made sense to her now all the avoidance, all the looks and growling to keep her at bay. He’d been trying to protect her from him, from his own selfish wants and desires, not knowing she’d needed to know what he’d been hiding. Going over to her side of the room, she undid the clasp on the cloak and let it fall off her. Looking at the rest of the costume she decided to keep it on, all except the metal arm greaves, they looked too much like armour and she didn’t want Logan thinking she was expecting a fight. If the rest of her time would be anything like the kiss they’d shared in the carnival she doubted she’d be seeing her own room later. Taking a last look at herself in the tall mirror Marie smiled to herself, Halloween may not be Jubilee’s favourite holiday anymore but it was growing in popularity for her.

John and Bobby were stuffing themselves with the candy they’d collected from the younger kids who’d made themselves ill. They knew the first rule of trick or treating, never eat more candy volume than the size of your own head. John was playing with the string of tickets as he munched his way through a pile of gummy worms. His face pondering the designs on the front, counting them there were only eight and if Storm and Logan came that would leave only six. Then if they took theirs off, that would leave four and he knew at least ten other students who wanted to go, several had offered him money already after hearing about the fracas. There were a few scores to be settled out there and the Carnival seemed the best place to do it. He knew Pieter would be going as well so that left three and the thought of losing money annoyed him. Catching his friends eye he waved the taupe string of tickets under his nose, “Think we could get more of these?”

Bobby shrugged as he sifted through the pile of candy on his bed, plucking out a chocolate skull he bit through the top part. Seeing his friend eating the white chocolate, his vision shifting slightly to Bobby delving his face into a cracked skull. The dark matter of the brain sticking to his face as he lifted it out of the crushed bone, the glittering of his blue eyes gaining intensity as he sucked the remains out of the cracked orb. His teeth glittering like diamonds as his skin shifted to a grey colour reminding him of a troll, one out of a dark fairy tale not the bright gonk things the younger kids collected. The cold sapphire eyed gaze caught him and his skin crawled as Bobby smiled, the shadows lengthened as the light disappeared around them. The only light seen was the light in Bobby’s eyes as he came closer to him, the stench of the decayed flesh strong in his nose as his friend moved closer. The grating of his skin as John realised his power was useless against a thing made of stone. As Bobby’s taloned hand reached out to the one holding the tickets, John almost screamed. The touch of warm skin on his own snapped the vision away, leaving him shaking with the sight of Bobby holding the string in his hands. Suddenly John didn’t think it was such a good idea selling the rest, the next three people that asked him could have them and be welcome to it. Bobby’s smiling face checked the tickets as John pushed the rest of the stolen candy away from him. “Had enough?” Bobby’s sapphire eyes sparkled as he grabbed a Baby Ruth from his pile.
“Help yourself,” John dumped the rest on Bobby’s bed feeling the grease of the tickets still on his fingers. Seeing Bobby drop the tickets on his nightstand, their bone white surfaces printed with a dark ink that seemed to move in the warm light, the whole thing looking like a snake’s skeleton, mirroring the symbol on the ticket. A snake with it’s tail in its mouth wrapped in a figure of eight, the Victorian writing proclaiming Dark’s Pandemonium Carnival.

Walking into the bathroom John went to brush his teeth and wash the vision from his mind; the light burned then went ‘pink’. “Great, all I need.” Bobby’s laugh just filled the entire room.
“Oh the great Pyro, master of flame can’t use the bathroom without a light!” Feeling a little stupid John remembered his lighter, fishing it out of his pocket he flicked the wheel as the sparks took hold the little piece of flame gathering strength as he used his power on it. Setting it down next to the sink, as the main light clicked off and Bobby began to move candy into a bin for storage. Taking a look at himself in the mirror the flame gave his reflection an almost hellish cast seeing movement in the doorway he looked at the reflection of Bobby. His blond hair bobbing as he cleaned up the wrappers they’d dropped, unconcerned about the cleaning then but Bobby was a neat freak while he was the one who could live in a junkyard. Smiling to himself as he saw Bobby’s head turn to look at him, the reflection showing sapphire eyes above diamond teeth and skin the colour of granite. Snapping his head round he looked at Bobby, his skin was tanned, his eyes normal and his concerned smile filled with normal teeth.

Seeing his friend weirded out Bobby just shook his head and waved several wrappers at him, “Told you didn’t I? Nothing on this earth is supposed to be neon pink and green at the same time. I’m amazed you’re not on the ceiling with the amount of additives you’ve crammed down your neck tonight.” With that he moved away and John heard him collapse on his bed, the tuneless whistle he usually found comforting now grating on his nerves. Turning back to the mirror John found his gaze haunted as he brushed his teeth keeping one eye on the door where Bobby lay outside. Hoping in his mind that Bobby was right, that it was nothing but a reaction to the stuff he’d eaten and the excitement of earlier. As he finished and flicked the lighter shut, his last look in the mirror had been one of fear, of the dark spaces under the stairs as a child, before everything had gone bad. Before fire had made it’s passion known to him, feeling the reassuring weight of his lighter in his hand John walked back into the room he shared with Bobby. Sure that he could defeat any monsters he came across, but the small child’s voice he once recognised as his own reminded him that stone didn’t burn. Taking a quick glance at Bobby and seeing his tanned blond head resting on his pillow, he just waved at the bathroom. “All yours bud.” Bobby sprang up and shut the door, quite happy with the darkness within the small bathroom. When Bobby came out John was already asleep, his hands clutching his lighter as a talisman, to defend him against what Bobby had no idea.

Logan was sitting in the comfortable dark of the rec room, the open fire casting shadows everywhere as the cold wind blew leaves around the stone covered patio outside. Nursing a beer he was thinking about the man in the top hat, he’d asked Chuck to do a search on the guy, find out who he was and what he wanted. The rest of the faculty didn’t seem that bothered about Jubilee’s reaction to the carnival but it bothered him, there was something wrong about the whole thing.