Story Notes:
This is my first real attempt at fanfiction. Feedback craved and encouraged. Be gentle! o_O Song is “Sway” by Bic Runga, and italics represent lyrics.
Before he knocks, before he even reaches the hallway leading to her door, she knows he is there.

His hand is raised, adamantium-laced knuckles braced for impact with the solid oak of the door, when he hears her voice. “Come in, Logan.”

Rogue doesn’t look up from the leather journal sitting in her lap, finishing the last sentence as he settles on the end of her bed. Logan smirks, proud that she’s making good use of the gift he brought back for her. For a moment, he is content to watch her mouth along the lyrics to the soft music playing in the room.

Don’t stray, don’t ever go away…

“What are you up to, Marie?”

“You ask me that every night, like it changes.” Normally, she is warmly receptive to his late night visits to her room. Tonight, Logan doesn’t need sensitive hearing to catch the bitter iciness to her tone.

“Is something wrong?” Even the Wolverine has trouble understanding women, after all.

“You’re wearing your jacket.”

Say you'll stay, don't come and go like you do...

“And...?”

“So, tonight is the night. So nice of you to come say goodbye before you bail again.”

“Please don’t do this, kid.”

“What should I do, then? Sit here and wish you a fond farewell? Well, good luck running away from your problems, and enjoy the rest of your life. Happy?”

“Why are you so angry, Marie?”

“Because I have a right to be, Wolverine. I have sat here every night for the last month and tried to assuage your guilt. And what of it? I have lost sleep, Bobby, and have gained a nice set of baggage under my eyes to go with the emotional one I already carry. You know what? No. I’m not going to do this with you. Just get up and drag your ass out the door.”

It doesn’t seem right to look you in the eye, and let all the things you mean to me come tumbling out my mouth...

“Jesus, Marie, you have to understand. I was there! I could have stopped this all before everyone got involved! Instead, I came back here, tail between my legs. Look where I got us all!” Logan rose from the bed, wildly pacing back and forth.

“What could you have done? Stryker would have finished what he started years ago, and then think what could have happened! For Christ’s sake, Logan, each night you’ve come back, it’s been less and less about your guilt complex, and more and more about losing the love of your life. She loved Scott, Logan. Get over it.”

“How can you get over something like that? I loved her!” Rogue notices him flex his knuckles, dying to let the claws loose. He’s starting to lose control, and needs the physical pain to chase away the emotional.

“You can’t get over it by high-tailing it out of here, that’s for sure. What can I do to convince you that this place needs you?” She left out the fact that she needed him. “Some things are more important than unrequited love. I’ve accepted that. You need to accept it.”

“What do you mean? You’re still in love with that ice prick?”

“No, Logan. It’s not Bobby. For someone with enhanced senses, you are just as blind, deaf, and dumb as anyone I have ever met.” She somehow chokes out a sharp laugh, and it hurts more than it helps.

Sway my way, yeah I need to know, all about you…

“What are you saying, Marie?”

“Nothing. Everything. Just get out.”

Logan opened his mouth as if to say something, but instead slumps his shoulders in resignation, and slowly shuffles out of her room. As soon as the door clicks shut, Rogue hurls the journal as hard as she can, finding the thump the heavy notebook makes not as satisfying as she’d hoped.