He never thought it would happen to him.


He never dreamed it was something he would have to worry about.


He was, after all, The Wolverine. He was a loner. He was a bad ass. He was a man most people just had to look a to know that he could be dangerous, maybe even deadly, if push came to shove.


Hell, he made his living beating the shit out of men stupid enough to face down the ‘King Of The Cage’.


No one with a brain looked at him and thought ‘good guy’.


Until Marie.


He had to give the girl credit. She had brass balls. After seeing him flash the claws at an asshole in the bar, she had the nerve to crawl into the back of his truck and then she had the nerve to challenge him when he told her to get the hell out.


Then she fired at him ‘What kind of name is Wolverine?’.


And he thought to himself, this girl in something.


But he didn’t think she would end up being ‘something’ to him.


But she did.


She became more than something.


She became everything.


She became the one person in the world he offered a promise he intended to keep.


She became someone he nearly died to save, not once, but twice.


She became someone that drew him back to her when he told himself it was best for her if he stayed away.


Of course, he knew the truth.


He had wanted to stay away because he had no idea what to do about the way she made him feel…he told himself to stay away because he had nothing to offer her when he knew in his soul she deserved everything good and decent life could provide.


He told himself that the Ice Kid was good for her.


He laughed after he told himself that, cause he knew the Ice Kid could never support or challenge or love Marie was much as he did.


He knew when he held a crying Scott on the plane, after the events at Alkali Lake, that he would sooner die a thousand agonizing deaths rather than face one lifetime without Marie at his side.


So he made up his mind.


He decided he would have her.


After all, it was only fair, seeing that she had held his heart and soul in her hand from the moment she looked at him with big brown eyes that rendered him powerless to resist giving her anything she could have longed for.


He just didn’t know how to tell her what he needed to say.


Feeling love was new to him, after all.


How to say it was a mystery



********************



She never thought it would happen to her.


She never dreamed it was something she would have to worry about.


She was, after all, The Rouge. She was a loner. She was the girl that could kill with just a single touch. She was a girl most people avoided at any and all cost.


Hell, she had nearly killed the first guy who had ever dared kiss her.


No one that knew about her toxic skin looked at her and thought ‘that’s the girl I want to put my arm around’.


Until Logan.


She had to give him credit. He had brass balls. Or metal ones. After she nearly sucked all the life out of him, in his room, he followed her to the train station and he set beside her and when she began to cry, he put his arm around her and he held her close.


He touched her.


Willingly.


Easily.


He touched her without fear even though he knew what she could do.


He touched her more than once.


When she was nearly dead in his arms, drained by Magneto’s machine, Logan held her to him…he pressed his face against hers and he willed the life and the healing to flow from his body into hers.


He was lodged in her mind.


A part of him was in her.


She could hear his voice from time to time.


She could feel his strength and when she was most afraid, she could tap into the well of his never ending courage.


He was her inner guide.


He was her best friend.


He was her everything.


He was the man she loved.


She knew others thought it was a crush, a teenager girl feeling nothing more than hero worship for the man that had saved her life.


Those people were wrong.


She knew better.


She knew it was love.


And she was fairly certain he loved her back.


Yeah, he flirted with the doctor, he even stole a kiss.


But he had not nearly died for the doctor.


The doctor wasn’t the one he looked to when he needed a friend.


She was the one that gave him peace…she was the one that set next to him on the jet as he held a crying Scott.


And it was then, that she decided.


She knew what she had to do.


She had to find a way to tell him.


She needed him to know she loved him.


She needed him to know it was real love, true love, deep love; she needed him to know it was the kind of love that would last forever.


The question was how?


How to do it?


How to say it, and not scare him away?


Feeling it was so strange and just a little frightening.


She was still not use to it.


Feeling it kind of terrified her.


How to say it was a mystery.