Author's Chapter Notes:
Anne comes home and gets news she doesn't want that concerns Logan, Marie learns about Lupa's old family and what it means to her own families safety.
Anne was clearing the turf getting the space ready for her fire when she felt Katherine come to into her space, turning herself toward the figure she sat herself down on the steps of the vardo. Katherine made her way toward her successor, the green of her skin reflecting the small glow of the embers just taking hold. Katherine sat next to Anne, her body made of the forest, her scent alive with late summer flowers, they said nothing for a while just letting the sun lower itself until the owls began to talk over the trees. “He needs you Anne,” Anne nodded and fed the fire keeping it small, her gaze finding the green one of Katherine.
“I thought he would, Lupa’s going to find it hard settling in he’s not entirely human and he’s…” Katherine’s gaze stopped her mid sentence.
“I mean Logan.”

Anne looked sideways at her mentor, the settled echo of the forest rang through her form as the night shift took over, her hair bristling with new life and small creatures rustled in the folds of her skirts. “He needs your help understanding what’s coming, someone is coming Anne. Someone who’s related to Lupa, someone who’s going to want to take him away, make him turn his back on them here.” Anne’s face looked serious as she watched the stars slowly appear in the sky, her face taking on a steel edge to it.
“Is it them?” Katherine just nodded, “You set me up didn’t you?” Again, Katherine just nodded her assent. “Why?”
“He has to make his own choices Anne, they need to know he’s alive and who he’s with. Logan has been alone too long without family, without knowing where or who comes from. At least this will ease some of those questions for him.”
“What about Lupa?”
“What about him?”
“He doesn’t know does he? He doesn’t know his role in this.”
“No, he doesn’t and it’s not your job to tell him.” Katherine’s face became stern and her voice deep; a wind blew the fire and the trees as she spoke. “Your to hold the truth until it’s asked for, until she asks for it then you can tell her, then and ONLY then.” Anne dropped her head to the fire before looking at Katherine again.
“I know that, I understand how important it is but what about Logan? He’s going to ask questions, you know he is. What do I tell him? Do I lie and lose his trust, do I say nothing, tell me what do I do!”

Katherine stood up and looked at the young woman who was holding the remains of her powers, the one who was taking on more and more of her abilities the longer she stayed. Her young form slumped forward and her head resting on her hands that were propped up on her knees. Stroking her hair with a warm hand Katherine just sighed, her arms wrapping around the young apprentice knowing she was finding it hard enough without having to lie to the one friend she had here.

“When he asks something you can’t answer tell him to ask me, tell him to go to the amphitheatre he’ll find me there.” Anne nodded into the soft moss of her skin, tears trickling down as she lifted her head out of her soft bosom. Her gaze going to the West and the glow of the sunset fading still, her voice quiet yet strong as she felt the presence come into her territory.
“They’re coming, will they be safe? Marie and Amber?” Katherine just shook her head there were some things even she didn’t know and the thoughts of older creatures than herself was one such thing.
“Nature will be as nature will be Anne, all we can do is stand here between them and hope they make the right choices, for all of us.” Katherine let go of Anne and walked toward the fire, letting it reflect off her skin, showing her form, as it truly was, a mixture of plants animals and roots. “Logan is coming Anne, be ready for him, he needs you more than you realise. He may need you in other ways than talking to him.” Katherine’s eyes flashed as she turned to let Anne see her body shift into the moss skinned naked form she had used before. Anne paled hugging her legs shut tight her eyes wide as she realised what was being asked of her.

“I CAN’T!” A scent of musk and desire flooded her veins as Katherine moved to the other side of the fire.
“You will if he asks for it Anne, you won’t be able to help yourself. You’re the land here Anne, I’m a ghost, a memory living on until I’m not needed. I have Lupa to teach, to give him control over the beast inside himself. You know their laws; they’ll need to see his commitment to the land, to the teachings of the family. Wayland told you the LAW.”
Anne’s mind went back to the diner she’d met Wayland in, the small booth where he’d laid out the truth to her, what she was becoming, what Lupa was and who Logan was. The part she’d have to play in it all, being the repository of the skills and knowledge that Amber would need, seeing herself as the teacher to her as she grew up. Her purpose already laid out, her path already marked out yet it wasn’t set, choice was evident in every single move of the pieces on the board. Nothing was set and she thought she could get out of the Law, get out of that part but if Lupa’s kind were coming here they’d fight to take him away if they knew Logan wasn’t strong enough to raise him.

She had to prove herself as well, being able to show the way, the path, the choices she’d made and the sacrifices she was willing to go through to make this all happen. And that meant doing something, she really didn’t want to, she’d have to kill and raise Logan in a night, the death and rebirth of the soul and he had to trust her completely. Frightened and alone again Anne looked up at the stars praying for help from someone, feeling Logan and Lupa come ever closer and wishing she was miles away on the road, away from everything.

The kids were happy and fine when they both got back, Amber was asleep as were most of the other kids, Lupa was waiting with Marie upstairs. The sounds of contented sleep were everywhere as they waited for the locks to disengage and the security system to recognise their weights and heights. Finally, inside the faces of his family relaxed, Marie was the first to ask, “What was it?” Her tone was calm but he could sense her worry. Nodding to Pieter to check on the rest of the cabin, he turned toward them both.
“Toad, he hacked into the mainframe, took some information. Kitty’s working on it now we just have to wait and see what happens. Not my first instinct but we need to know what they were after and who Toad is working for.” Marie nodded as her hand stroked Lupa’s coat absently as the information slid through her mind. “How are the kids?” Marie’s eyes met his and her smile illuminated the room.
“Oh we had a little argument about what we were going to watch until Amber just pulled her favourite video out, she had it loaded and running before anyone else knew what was going on.” The smile that filled her eyes was one he hoped didn’t involve him.
“Which one?” His tone was becoming icy and Marie laughed as she got up and patted his fraying temper.
“Don’t worry it wasn’t her bath time one, it was the Christmas one. The one where you ended up in the snow bank after Bobby lost concentration.” The smile and quick kiss she gave him eased some of his hurt pride but seeing the amused smile on Lupa’s face irked him a little.
“Hey I didn’t have a choice, one second there was a clear field, the next a fifteen foot snow bank straight in front of me. I still caught the damn football though.”

Marie’s chuckle was heard as the rest of the adults came up from the basement, Jubilee caught sight of Logan and her mouth was opening when Logan just pointed at her and growled, “NOT a word Sparky, not ONE word!” She closed her mouth and just went toward the kitchen a smile dancing over her features.
Lupa was heading toward the food that was being laid out when Logan called him back, “Lupa, we’re heading out in a few minutes. There’s someone you need to meet.” Holding Marie in his arms hugging her tightly as he spoke, “Anne’s back. I saw her just before I went to the school and found our visitor.” Marie snuggled herself closer to him feeling his body reacting to his wife and her scent, purring into her ear telling her he’d be ready when she was, knowing she was glad he’d come back safe and sound. Releasing her as Lupa came over, kissing her quickly and seeing the heated future, he had to look forward to later. “Don’t wait up for us.” Smiling she winked as she walked away to the kitchen area, the rest of the close knit group already in the middle of making dinner.

Turning their backs on the domestic scene, they both left the cabin, the night already filled with sounds and life. Once outside Lupa stretched himself, splaying his feet wide in the soft earth, turning toward Logan his eyes bright and smile wide as they walked down the trails toward the Western ridge. The sounds of the forest alive as they moved quietly through it, Lupa stopped just before the start of the logging trail, his nose lifted to the wind. A look of confusion passed his eyes as he breathed in the scent he could sense coming on the wind, looking over to Logan who had carried on up the trail, his nose missing the rich tenor of the wind. There was something inside the wind, something he knew something he remembered but couldn’t put words to.

Logan stopped a little way ahead when he realised Lupa wasn’t following him, seeing his gaze notice the way Lupa’s head was lifted to the wind. Following suit Logan took his time to read the wind, a faint scent was on it, coming from the west, something almost out of reach but something familiar to him. Something he *knew*. Turning back up the path Logan went on, listening to the sound of Lupa catching up to him, his movements quiet but powerful. “Who are we going to see?” Lupa’s face was excited and Logan could read the expectation in him, maybe it was a mate for him? Someone like him, someone who would understand him and want him. Logan had to put the brakes on while he could.
“Her name’s Anne, she’s was a pupil here for a few years. She’s kind of like Katherine but she’s ‘here’ if you get my drift. Katherine gave her her powers to care for when she died Xavier and Katherine thought it’d be a good idea if she left for a while. She’s been on the road for a few months but she’s home now and she wants to meet you.”

Lupa smiled and Logan could see the small fire flickering in the darkness, the bright colours of the flame sending out a beacon to them guiding them to her. He couldn’t see Anne but he could smell the food she was cooking, a rabbit was dripping fat into the fire. Lupa walked straight over, kneeling in front of the fire he warmed himself through, the cold of the night pricking his fur. Movement and sound from the vardo made his head snap upward, Anne was coming out a jug in her hand. Freezing for a moment as she saw the large shape of Lupa standing up, a stream of words leaving her mouth as she took him in. Logan’s sharp ears picking up the words, ‘The wolf unnamed finds his feet in the heart of his loved ones. Anach curah sithra.’ Seeing Logan, she climbed down the vardo steps and handed the jug to him, facing Lupa she wiped her hands on her long skirt before holding them out to him. Lupa slowly took hold of her small hands, his face taking in every detail of her body and frame, his nose taking her scent deep into his mind. Their gazes locking for a moment as they each recognised the other, when Anne turned her head to look at Logan her eyes were forest green. The same green as Katherine’s and her voice seemed older, deeper somehow. “Come on, eat drink she’ll be here soon. She has something to tell you Lupa, alone.”

Letting go of Lupa’s paws she sat on the step of the vardo, picking up her cup and drinking the strong tea inside it, Logan sniffed the jug finding it filled with something like honey wine. “Mead from the bee’s,” a crafty smile creeping across her face as Logan took a swig, the sweetness filling his mouth and senses until there was nothing but warmth and heat flowing through his chest. Passing the jug to Lupa whom just drank a large mouthful and followed it with a second, almost draining the jug dry. “Hey, slow down, manners!” Lupa swallowed and a look of guilt crossed his face, passing the jug back to Anne, she sat it down next to her.

They didn’t have to wait long, the wind picked up blowing soft sweet scent toward them, Lupa whined deep in his throat and crouched, trying to hide his desire made flesh, his eyes locked onto one point of the forest. Slowly and surely her form solidified, walking out of the forest as if she’d just gone to collect something, her skin a soft moss green, her hair made of dark leaves a smile written across her face. Moving silently she wound herself around Lupa, taking his head in her hands and leading him away from the fire, the entire area filled with musk and want. Logan kept his eyes riveted to the fire and the rabbit cooking over the flames, his own body reacting to the sight and sound of Katherine. Knowing he had to leave them alone, Lupa needed her and he wasn’t needed there, images of Marie naked and needing his touch flew through his mind. Listening to the sounds of Lupa and Katherine rutting, the scent of her filling his mind until there was nothing else. Feeling his own groin become heavy with blood, a low growl forcing it’s way out of his mouth, then a touch on his shoulder, the scent of a ready female next to him. Losing all thought, all humanity as he snapped his eyes to the source of the scent that was filling him, Anne was stood next to him, her gaze reaching through the haze of sex. Her voice reaching him as she touched his neck lightly with her fingers, “Do you need me?”

Logan was torn, he wanted her, needed her, his body was screaming to take her, feeling his teeth grating on each other as he looked at her. Dropping his eyes closed he felt her touch wrap around his waist, her warmth pressing up against him as Katherine’s cries reached them both. Knowing it was Katherine who was firing this desire, this need that was raging through him, grabbing hold of Anne he pushed his hips deep into hers. Pressing his solid length against her feeling her legs spread to allow him entrance, still clothed he pulled her to him, burying his head into her soft neck licking and biting her skin. Listening to her voice as she encouraged him, asking him to lift her skirts let himself take her, hearing the deep bellow of Lupa ring out across the forest. The young male taking what was once his, scenting the power in his release the need in his cry feeling it reflected in his own mind and soul. Feeling her hands hang onto his back as she tried to climb his body, her own scent mixed with arousal and fear, her words freezing his heart solid. “Please, I don’t know if you want this, I don’t know what to do. I don’t have a choice in this Logan, I have to I need you.”

Pulling his head away from her reddened skin, his bite marks evidence of his need to claim her to have her as his. Seeing her as the child who’d been lost and alone all those years ago, torn between being honest with him and saving herself from the pain of revealing what she’d done. Her eyes were blazing green, knowing Katherine was doing this to her too, the pleasure she was taking from Lupa flowing through her young body. Sending her over, scenting her own desire building, the pulse of her blood as it rushed round her body, her pupils wide as she grabbed his shoulders. Pushing herself into him, grinding her hips in his hands rubbing against his already solid erection, her mouth open and her breath coming in gulps as she whined and wove over him. Frustration and desire filling her scent, her mind not strong enough to resist the emotions Katherine was giving her.

Wolverine raised his head, taking Anne in his grip he lifted her into his body. Her long skirts wrapping around him as she gripped him with her legs, her mouth latching onto his throat, worrying the tanned skin there making him growl and thrust between her clothed thighs. The friction enough to give him pleasure he repeated the move, holding her tight to him as he ground against her clothed body, listening to Anne’s breathy voice calling his name in his ear. “Logan please, come for me.” With each thrust of his hips he felt her moving her skirts higher shifting them until he was against her naked skin. The scent of her filling his world, his hands gripping her shoulders as he moved against her, listening to the howl of Lupa ringing out across the forest, deep and long. The frustration building inside until his reserve snapped, flinging him over the edge as he bit Anne deep in the shoulder. Holding her tight to him as he bucked into her heat, wanting to fill her with himself but knowing he can’t, knowing she was as lost as he was. Linked to the same woman, the same place, the same emotions, feeling Anne’s hand slip between them her fingers working on herself, trying to ease the burning inside her blood. Shifting her higher Logan moved her mouth to his, claiming her, tearing her hand away and replacing it with his own. Her moan deepened as he slid his fingers through her sex, rubbing her proud nub with his thumb as the rest of his hand slid through her heated silk, a finger finding her entrance, tight and wet circling the entrance before slipping inside her. Her body shuddering as he entered her, feeling her internal muscles clench as she flowed over the edge, her body suddenly boneless in his arms. The desire met but the need still flowing through her, tearing herself away from his lips her breath coming in large pants her eyes clearing as she met his dark gaze. “Logan, listen, listen to the forest.”

Her head dropped to his shoulder as she relaxed into his hold on her, his senses still acute Logan listened as his mind cleared, the haze of sex burning away like the morning mist. A long thin howl answered Lupa’s own, rich and deep coming from far away but the sound one that reverberated through his blood. Firing something inside his own mind, opening a memory hidden and lost to him until now.

He’d been feral, lost in the cold forest, living as an animal. He’d come across a carcass, deer brought down in the night, tracks were everywhere but he didn’t care he needed the food. He’d eaten the frozen meat raw, his hands blooded as he’d sliced into the carcass, a sound alerting him and they were there. A pack of wolves around him, several were bigger than he, their forms almost freakish but they’d just watched him growl and stand his ground over the meat. Their gazes on him felt heavy as they calculated his strength, power, one had attacked, and he’d killed it with a swift blow to the neck. His claws shining in the winter sun the blood dripping from them into the snow, the lead wolf just turned his back and the rest had followed. The prey conceded to him they moved off silently into the forest, disappearing just as quietly as they’d appeared. The only thing he’d heard was the howl of the alpha; it’s deep rich sound digging deep into his mind locking itself away. Knowing it was important somehow that it meant something to him personally, now the sound was here in his home.

Looking at Anne her skin flushed and her body already seeking sleep, her arms barely holding him now, quickly moving her so he wasn’t holding her as a lover. Her head lolling against his shoulder as he took her inside the vardo, her eyes opening as he put her down on the cabin bed. Her eyes were blue again and her voice was shaking when she reached out for his arm, “Logan I’m sorry. I couldn’t help myself I’m so sorry.” Logan just looked at her; she was taking on the brunt of the guilt, that she’d made him react to her, that he hadn’t had a choice.
“Anne…It’s alright, I understand I know what she does to you. She does it to me as well.” Anne’s eyes widened and a sense of despair went through her; tears were running from her eyes as she looked into his own guilty gaze.
“Logan, someone is coming, someone who wants Lupa. They know he’s here and they want to know he’s safe here with you, they’re his family or what’s left of it. They’re few and far between now but once they were everywhere, they were hunted down, whole families lost to the flame and hatred. Lupa is important to them, they need to ask him where he wants to be, with them as a wolf or with you and Amber.”

Anne could see the questions running through his head and she answered him as much as she could. “I can’t tell you any more than this Logan, I can’t. I have to follow the law set out for me. The choice is his, if he chooses them Amber will need every help she can, if he stays then things are well and good. You can’t tell him to stay Logan he has to make this choice himself; they’ll be here soon, tomorrow or the day after. I can feel them in the forest, their minds are so old Logan, older than the forest here.” Logan looked at the young woman who’d been given a burden even he wasn’t sure he could carry alone.
“Katherine…?” Anne nodded and held his hand in her own.
“She can tell you more Logan, I can’t. If I did I’d have to go, leave everything wander the world like he does.” Logan realised who she was talking about, Wayland. The man who’d walked into both of their lives changing everything, showing Logan what mattered when he needed to see it and showing Anne a way of living that would make her more than she ever thought possible. “Ask her about what’s coming and the part you have to play in it. I wish I could tell you Logan, please don’t hate me, please.”

She wrapped herself around his hand, gripping it tight like her only lifeline in the storm of her life; he could hear Lupa and Katherine coming back. He gave her a tight hug and let go pulling his hand away from hers, she sniffed once and turned her back on the open door. Wrapping herself up in her clothes her tears still flowing as he walked out into the still evening, sitting on the vardo steps eating the rabbit that had been cooked to a turn.

Katherine had loved him, held him, and whispered something into his ears as he’d mated with her, something important but he couldn’t remember it now. Wrapped up in her warmth her breathing ruffling his fur as she stroked his back, feeling her shift herself under him sliding herself against him. Her soft moss skin tasting of the forest as he licked her throat, his desires banked for now, so much had changed over the last months. He’d grown, he’d found a family, had friends who cared for him, wanted him around, needed to see him. Even Amber sought him out first thing in the morning, pouncing on him and bouncing all over his body, her little hands heading for his ears knowing they were ticklish. He cared for his family, they’d found him and accepted him into their world, he was different and it didn’t matter to them. He remembered the first time Marie had seen him changed, her eyes had been filled with wonder not fear, she even let Amber hold him alone without any fear of what he could do to her. Knowing in her heart that he’d never hurt her willingly, Logan had watched him for a while but after Hank had been to the cabin, he seemed to open up more to him. Spending time with him everyday, just talking or being silent as he did his lessons.

When he’d gone after Katherine the first time Logan had followed him. Knowing he wasn’t in his right mind, putting Lupa’s safety above his own, he knew how much damage he could do with his hands and claws and yet Logan had come anyway. Seeing the face of Katherine watching his own he smiled and pulled her into his chest, her soft arms wrapped around his middle and squeezed. He loved it when she hugged him like this, letting himself relax into the hold she had on him, “Come on it’s time you went back.” He murmured his disapproval into her skin, “Oh Lupa we can’t have you out all night. You’ll have me again soon enough.” As if to make the point she shifted her hips into his making him rumble with the thought of her tight wet heat wrapped around him. Laughing she let him go, managing to get out of his grip and stand holding her hand to him. The sound on the wind made his hair stand up on the back of his neck, a howl long deep and distant reached his ears and into his soul. Someone was coming, someone he knew, his eyes met Katherine’s her smile was tight and her voice calm. “Yes Lupa, they’re coming to see you. Maybe tomorrow or the day after but they are coming and you will need to see them alone, I can be there with you but I can’t help you do you understand Lupa?” Inside something clicked something from the other half of him, something that knew it had been some time in happening but it must be. Confident he stood next to Katherine, his size dwarfing her, “I understand.” Nodding to herself Katherine took his hand leading them both back to the vardo and the fire, knowing Logan would be wanting some answers himself.

Logan had just finished the rabbit when Lupa emerged with Katherine following behind him; the scent of the fire covered everything else so when Logan looked at Katherine his eyes told her his annoyance. Placing her hand on Lupa she smiled and spoke to him, “Lupa, Logan needs to talk to me. Can you find your way home alone? He won’t be far behind you a few minutes at the most.” Lupa looked at the serious look in Logan’s eye and nodded, he’d seen that look once before when he’d spoken to Hank in the cabin. Logan wasn’t happy about something and it involved him, “I’ll wait by the bottom of the trail.” Logan’s voice was clipped but soft to him.
“I won’t be long.” As he turned to leave Logan called him back, “Your not in trouble Lupa, Katherine needs to tell me something that’s all.” Lupa felt the air change as Katherine walked toward the vardo, the sense of anger and restrained violence filling the area. Taking large strides Lupa got himself out of the way but not completely out of earshot.

Katherine sat across from Logan, her body still naked the moss skin shining in the firelight, reaching behind him he pulled the door to the vardo shut. Turning his gaze back to Katherine he tamped down his anger, “What are you doing to her?” Katherine looked into the fire before answering, when her gaze met his her eyes were blazing green.
“What she needs to learn Logan nothing more, she’s taking on my role here. The longer she stays the more she’ll take on until I fade away, it could be years or months I don’t know but she’s me now as well as herself. What the land feels she feels, what I feel she feels.”
“What about when you’re fucking Lupa?” Katherine’s face quirked a smile.
“Yes she feels that, she feels everything I do including him. Like you do.” Her gaze unnerved Logan for a moment.
“Why? Why do I feel it?” Katherine moved toward him, crossing the fire without burning herself until she was stood next to him, her face inches away from his own.
“Do you remember the night you first found me, when the forest claimed you as its own? Your own seed spent on the ground between us, the need you felt but couldn’t take from me? You’re the forest Logan, your time’s coming where you’ll have to make the same choice, only this time it won’t be me.”

Her gaze went to the door of the vardo and the occupant inside, she was talking about Anne, “She knows it and she doesn’t want to. Yet, if she refuses to she loses everything, her powers her sense of place. Once you’ve been part of everything it’s hard to go back to being yourself again, think of it like this Logan. What would you do if you couldn’t sense anymore were normal like everyone else but you knew that once you were more than that? That’s her choice and there’s more than her to consider.” Anger poured through him, he was being told he had to fuck a girl he’d cared for, seen as a friend, a daughter even. Katherine moved out of his range as he moved forward her eyes never leaving his, “She doesn’t have a choice if Amber is going to be safe, and neither do you.” The words stopped him dead in his tracks, Katherine continued.

“The ones who are coming, Lupa’s family are your family too Logan. They’ve seen you before; they know the wild you, the one you were before the human side of you remembered what it was. They live as animals it’s safer for them, they live longer but they are few and Lupa is theirs. You’re related to them but not as close as he is, he’s a pure blood, a shifter, if you can’t prove your worth they’ll take him and kill your family line.” The words entered his ears like hammer blows, that something was coming that would kill Amber, kill his family and take Lupa. Anger flooded his system and his claws sang out their surfaces reflecting the fire in front of him as well as in his gaze. Katherine stood her ground as Wolverine fought to the surface of the man she knew and trusted. “Logan there is a rite, one Anne knows, Wayland told it to her. You’ll need to do it while they’re here, they’ll be watching you all the while they’re here. If she does it, it’ll show them you know the correct way of raising Lupa, that you understand their beliefs. If you don’t they’ll take him and kill everyone they find, they don’t leave witnesses behind them. To them life is one way, their way and Lupa has to stand alone and show them he can survive without them or their help, if he can’t they’ll take him. Even you can be killed Logan, they know how to do it they’ve killed enough of their own kind over the years.”

Her words were ringing through his head, Katherine the one who’d saved his unborn child, the one who’d watched and cooed after the new born Amber. The one who had died to save the other children at the school when Sabretooth had come calling, knowing she’d be trapped in this half existence until Anne could take on her powers keeping them safe for Amber. Katherine used words sparingly even now, so if she was telling him these people were coming then it was real and there was nothing he could do to stop it. Forcing himself to be calm, he let his blades slide away as Katherine sat down again, her face reflecting the firelight. “Logan, I’m not saying this to hurt you but to warn you. You’ve seen Lupa as he will be, everything he can be in strength and power.” Logan’s mind offered up the image of a seven foot Lupa with a chest bigger than his own, “These are his people Logan, and they’re older stronger and wiser, fighting them isn’t an option, understanding them is.”

She could see him thinking about what she’d told him, how he could keep everyone safe, locking them in the cabin until they were gone. Katherine shook her head and moved over to his side, her hand touching his shoulder, “It wouldn’t make any difference Logan, they’d wait and pick you off one by one, like good wolves do.”
“So what your saying is that I’m helpless here,” angry he pushed off the vardo steps and walked away. Anger burning off his skin and colouring the air around him.
“No, your not. They need to know your link with the land is still strong here, that you put the right things first, that you understand the need for death and the sacrifice it takes to live well.” Logan turned to look at Katherine, her face was tired her form beginning to lose some definition. “They’re calling me, they can’t enter here without permission.”
“Then don’t give it!”

Katherine stood quickly her body and hair exploding outward as the wind screamed around her, whipping burning embers into the dark sky.
“I DON’T HAVE A CHOICE! Do you think I want them here! Do you think I want to risk everything I’ve fought for, every life I’ve defended, to lose Lupa? I love him!” Stunned Logan watched her crumple in on herself as she began to fade away into the forest edge her voice whispering to him as she faded away. “He was promised to me as much as he was to you, he was supposed to be mine, the balance for this place and for me.” Her words drifting over the now settled fire reaching his ears and filling him with a sorrow he never thought possible. Seeing it as it should have been, Katherine alive and well, Lupa at her side with Amber playing at their feet surrounded by children all of them smiling and happy. But it hadn’t turned out that way, Sabretooth had come and changed everything, making Katherine choose between her own life and those around her, knowing what he was going to do to them all if she’d failed. Her sacrifice had been massive and he was complaining about doing something to keep his family alive, guilt weighed on him as he damped down the fire. Leaving the clearing his thoughts went to Lupa, he knew he wasn’t far and if he knew him like he knew him he’d have listened to every word. Walking down slope, he caught sight of Lupa’s head, his ears dropped down and his hands playing with pieces of a branch. He didn’t need to say anything, he just put his hand out and Lupa took it, holding onto it as a child would. Walking back home in silence they both kept silent council with each other knowing they both needed some space to work out what had been told them. Tomorrow would be the time of discussion but now it was one of unity, of sharing space and time, building bonds and re-enforcing their links with each other. As they rose up the ridge the sound of wolves echoed out across the forest, Lupa’s face was torn between wanting to howl back and the rough palm of Logan’s hand against his own. Patting his shoulder Logan understood the burden; it’s hard to choose between the future and the past, when everything comes down to it it’s a choice everyone has to make alone. He just hoped Lupa was upto it.

Marie was waiting for them when they got in. The lights were down low and the rest of the cabin was silent but they both smelled her trepidation as they crossed the room to the large fireplace where she was curled up. Silently she opened her arms to them both Lupa settled at her feet snuggling under an arm that draped over his massive shoulders. His gaze lost to the fire as the words from Katherine whirled around in his mind. Marie opened her mind to Logan, her worry and questions filling the link they shared between themselves, Logan’s troubled gaze met her own and she voiced her worries.
“What is it?” Logan looked at Lupa and the guilt he knew the young man was feeling; that he’d brought them here, because he was here Amber was in danger as well as the rest of the school. Putting his hand on Lupa’s neck he felt the shudder go through his frame, digging his fingers deep into the fur he tried to soothe the pain he could feel coming from him.
“Lupa’s family is coming.” His words were quiet but the heaviness within them made Marie stop her question in her throat, waiting for her husband to continue. Shifting himself closer to them both Logan wrapped an arm around Marie, his hand continuing to stroke Lupa’s thick neck just above the scar line.

“They’re not like us and they might cause some problems.” Lupa made to move but Logan stopped him dead, his tone hard but calming, “It’s not your fault Lupa, they would’ve found you eventually and if they’d found you at the orphanage…” He left the sentence open and Lupa just sat back against the warmth of his family as the truth settled through him. His mind filling in the blanks for him, the death of all those people the rampage and the terror, the screams of children who wouldn’t understand why it was happening. Turning his face toward them both his features set and his muzzle already wet with tears, Marie just reaching out to him and feeling him climb into her embrace. Holding him and rocking him gently as she had done for the first few weeks, he had been with them, her touch soothing his fears a little.
“I don’t want to go with them,” the words filling Logan’s mind with pride, Lupa had made his choice and he wanted to be with him, with his family. In the two months he’d been here, he’d learned more about himself than he’d ever thought possible, his worth, his importance to the people around him. For the first time he was loved without price or pain, looking into Marie’s eyes he could see her fear for him, that they’d take him away from her and Amber. Turning is gaze to Logan he found a resolve burning inside his eyes, he wouldn’t let them take him, he’d fight for him, he’d die defending him if need be. He was his family; those that were coming were strangers and if they proved to be enemies then they’d deal with them together but he wouldn’t be alone. Lupa reached out to Logan and found his hand gripped tight and pulled over into his arms, the warm embrace breaking his resolve and fresh tears wound their way through his fur as Logan held him. The whisper of Logan’s voice loud in his ears, “I won’t let them hurt you Lupa, you’re my family. No matter what you’re mine and there’s nothing they can do about that. I love you.”

They spent the night downstairs, wrapped up with each other and discussing what was coming and what it meant for them all. Plans were made and things were thrashed out, who to tell, what to tell and how to deal with it all if things went south. They had a day’s grace if that, Logan was going to do recon in the grounds, try to find them first and give them a few rules of his own, maybe even find a weakness in their situation. He left out Anne; it was enough to deal with without bringing up the fact that he was expected to do something with her. Exactly what he had no idea but if it was like the first time with Katherine it wasn’t something he wanted to discuss right now, Marie was wound enough as it was.

Dawn arrived and Logan left them both to get some sleep on the sofa’s, he went to check on the rest of the kids. Silently moving through the cabin he checked on everyone, Pieter was curled up with Damask, her small form protected by his bulk. Jubilee was surrounded by three toddlers all laid over her higgledy-piggledy forcing a smile to his lips. Hank was awake when he passed his door, the large doctor looked troubled making Logan pause mid-step. “Hank?” The amber gaze rose up to meet his, a sense of unease filled him as he saw Hank clench and unclench his hands, going through the open door Logan shut it behind him. Hank rose slowly turning away from him going to the window a look of pain etched into his features, “She was here.” Logan breathed in deep; the faint scent of pine and flowers was in the room.
“Katherine?” Hank nodded keeping his back to Logan the shudders than ran through his form making him seem more animalistic than ever.
“She told me what’s coming. I’m to stay here just in case, she told me everything Logan, who she was, what she was, why she did what she did to us. She’s expecting to die Logan, she’s expecting to lose us all.” Hank turned a different look was held in his eyes now, something Logan had never seen before, anger. A deep burning anger, not the heat of rage or the passion of hatred but the coolness of anger, held deep and banked by years of tending. Hank didn’t move toward him just clenched and unclenched his hands, the movement almost like a mantra, keeping him in check so he could function. “Go do what you have to Logan, I’ll look after them here. Pieter will understand when I tell him what we need to do.” Hank rumbled deep in his chest, a growl sounding out making the glass by the bedside rattle with its intensity. Baring his teeth Hank hissed, “Get out before I do something we’ll both regret!”

Looking at Hank, he could see him torn between wanting to kill him and wanting to fuck him, Katherine had given him her wildness. Backing away slowly he opened the door and bumped into a bleary eyed Jubilee. She took a quick look inside the room and Hank’s eyes narrowed, seeing the movement Logan snatched the door shut just as the glass hit the closing side. The bellow rang out waking up most of the house; Jubilee stood wide eyed as Logan held the door shut bracing it against the frame. “Go get Pete!” Jubilee ran off, the toddler that had been wrapped around her shins standing alone next to him, the small face looking confused at the panting and noise coming from behind the door. “It’s okay, he just got up on the wrong side that’s all.” Peiter was there in a few moments, Damask and Jubilee following behind, “Take the kids out, get em up and moving. Take em to the lake behind the cabin, picnic outdoors anything just do it now!” The women scattered taking the toddler with them, Peiter looked worried at the noises that were coming from behind the door. “Better shift Pete, he’s not in a good mood.” Peiter shifted his skin from healthy tanned to silvery steel, reflecting the world around him Logan released the doorhandle and gently pushed it open a crack. The bed was destroyed, the walls were covered in gouge marks and Hank was sat in the remains of the bed, his breath coming in great gouts. Sliding inside both men waited for the attack, but it never came, all they heard was Hank crying, watching his great shoulders shudder as he breathed. Moving slowly Logan began to approach when Hank snapped round, his eyes still filled with hatred, burning through him stopping him dead. “The next time you open that fucking door it had better be to tell me I’m needed or I’ll kill the next person who does, clear?!” Logan straightened up and Peiter clenched his fists ready to fight, shaking his head at Peiter Logan answered Hank.
“Okay Hank, whatever you want. Pete’ll stay nearby to keep people away.” Looking to Peiter he saw the small nod from the large Russian, as they began to leave Hank spoke to them.
“I can’t control her anger Logan, I’m not her. God, if you only knew how much it hurt, how much she suffered when he killed her….” He pulled his hands into his chest the rage building in him as he thought about it, “OH GOD, GET OUT!! GET OUT BEFORE I HURT YOU!!!” The cry of pain and anger filled their ears, a woman’s scream mingled in with it filled with terror and pain. Tears flowing down the large furred visage twisted into a masque of agony and rage, pushing Peiter behind him Logan backed out of the room, leaving Hank to suffer alone.

When they were outside Peiter put his hand upto the door and felt the wood a look of despair on his gentle face. Logan grabbed his shoulder, “Come on Pete I’ll tell you what’s going on.” The pair of them left the teachers corridor, the kids already fighting over the bathroom and the best breakfast. Going to the balcony Logan watched them prepare as he explained as much as he could to Peiter, what he needed him to do and why.

Afterward Peiter was quiet for a while then he just put his hand on Logan’s shoulder, shifting his skin back to normal he went down for breakfast himself. Placing himself at the bottom of the stairs so no one could get up there without passing him first, a few children tried but Peiter was persistent and just blocked every attempt. Looking down at his wife and children Logan felt their gaze reach him, Lupa was holding Amber tight to his chest, her smiles and little hands playing with his fur as she tried to feed him toast.
Marie sent him her thoughts and feelings, love and pride filling his veins as he smiled at them all, a sound reached him through the noise below. A howl, long and deep, Lupa was still engrossed with Amber but Logan was aware, walking away from the balcony, he went to the small window. It looked out onto the forest and Logan knew they were coming tonight they’d be here outside the door of the cabin. His claws sang out as he turned away, he’d done many things over the years to keep the wolf from his door before but never the real thing before. The image of Lupa fully changed rose in his mind, seven feet tall, heavily muscled, long toothed and sharp clawed. The image of Amber her eyes filled with fear as they broke inside of Marie fighting for all she was worth and dying at their hands filled him with rage.

Wolverine surfaced as he took the back stairs, his feet almost a blur as he headed out into the forest behind the cabin, going to the west ridge where they were. He hadn’t slept and he was hungry, he knew he wouldn’t settle until this was sorted one way or another. Running through the forest he felt the animals scatter as he ran over the familiar ground searching for sign of them, letting Wolverines senses guide him. All day he was out there, searching, looking, finding traces of them but not seeing anything of them, twice he was sure they were nearby. His senses screaming at him to be wary, that they were right next to him, but he couldn’t scent or see them anywhere.

Exhausted as the sun began to set he worked his way back, his feet taking him over the West ridge and into Anne’s camp. A pot was over the fire, the smell from it leading him by the nose straight over to it, looking inside and seeing stew bubbling. A sound made his head snap upward, Anne was there at the vardo door, two bowls in her hands, taking her time she ladled out food handing him one of them. Before he touched it she covered it with her hand, her voice shaking in the quiet of the evening, “Their watching us, if you eat this your saying your willing to take part in what comes next.” His gaze met hers and her skin flushed crimson, “Your choice Logan but one you have to make.” Her hand trembled as she pulled it away, he grabbed it just as she let go making her jump the look in his eyes darkening as she realised who she was talking to. Logan was there but so was Wolverine, they were both there in his gaze as his hand gripped her own, she watched as he lifted the wooden bowl to his lips and drained it. The food spilling down either side of his mouth in his eagerness to eat, she lifted her own bowl taking a mouthful and putting it down when he took it from her, emptying it the same way as he had his own. “Hungry?” He nodded and she went to pour more when he stopped her, looking at him, she saw his eyes turn dark, she knew this, Katherine had shared this with her. Wolverine had taken him over, food and sex were his drives, one had been filled now he wanted the other, his grip on her tight as he pulled her into him. He hadn’t been with his mate for days, he’d been close to this one before, smelled her need for him and she was here now.