Author's Chapter Notes:
Lupa gets his first woman (of sorts) and Logan gets reminded of a promise he made. NC17 rating for this one!
Logan heard the laughter ring out, his sensitive ears catching the tone and inflection, the lilt it had to it, there was only one person who had that laugh, Katherine. Racing along the path he was close to the pond it was about half a mile away and the scent of sex met his nose, the warm spice of it making his own instincts fire. Spurring him to get there, to see her, to touch her, to taste her, his own blood heading south as he ran toward the sounds and scents of heated sex. Wolverine surfacing as he got closer to the pond his own rumbling growl mingling with the ones he was hearing, the scent of a younger inexperienced male making his eyes narrow. Moving closer, Wolverine wondered if Katherine was doing enough, he had to see for himself.

Still inside her, he shifted into a disjointed rhythm, lust making him hurry as he dove into her body. His hips thrusting deep into her, her laughter ringing in his ears as he fought to chase the nebulous tingling that ran through him. Gripping his hips with her thighs she stilled him; a whine coming from his throat as he tried to buck into her, slowly she released him so he could move. Guiding him as he built a rhythm, his hands splayed above her shoulders, her head lost in his huge chest, licking and nibbling at the fur-covered skin. Feeling the sensations deepen as he sped the rhythm she’d given him feeling his body pushing toward the bright release he was chasing when he scented a rival. Being rough with her his claws sank into the ground as he pushed deep into her, seeing her eyes snap upward to his a name on her lips as he came inside her, hard. “Wolverine.”

He could see the bulk of Lupa over Katherine, his body trembling with the effort of restraining himself from just going over there and fucking her. Shrugging off his shirts, stripping everything until he was naked, he was going to make his own dominance known here, he was the alpha Katherine gave herself to him first. Grumbling and growling as he stepped out toward them both just as Katherine shifted under Lupa, turning on her knees and presenting herself to him. Seeing Lupa plunge into her his hands digging into her breasts as he thrust into her body, his own arousal deepening at the sight of Katherine being taken. Seeing Lupa growl at him as he watched his rival move toward him, knowing if he pushed him he could hurt her and that was the last thing Lupa or he needed to see or experience. Crouching down Wolverine waited as he watched Lupa fuck, his eyes going to Katherine’s green and the smile on her lips as she bucked upward into Lupa. A smile running across his face as he remembered that move, it had brought Hank to his knees more than once and Lupa was no different. Scenting his release and the tiredness that was coming from him, Lupa had tired himself out for a while. Seeing Lupa fall to the side of her spent, his chest heaving from the effort of it all, his shape shifting back as he rested eyes half closed.

Katherine raised her body from the ground and walked toward him, her scent deep and full, mingled with Lupa’s own. Her hips near his head as she touched his hair, her fingers weaving into the thick darkness that covered his scalp, her voice like honey as it slid over his ears. “He needs me, he needs to learn control, he has none yet and he could hurt someone.” She paused in her speech to lift his head so he could see her eyes, “Anne is coming home,” the words having more meaning than just an update on what was happening. He nodded and pulled her hips to his mouth, dropping to his knees, as he tasted her, listening to her breathing stilt as he licked and teased her. Her hips coming forward into his grip, her scent rich and deep as he cleaned her of Lupa’s scent, standing quickly and lifting her into him as he walked with her to the forest edge. Katherine’s whispered words reaching him, “Lupa’s watching you.” Hearing his own growled response come from deep within himself.
“Good.”

Lupa watched Logan pick her up, her body graceful and pliant in his grip, seeing him take her weight easily, noting everything he did. Seeing him bite the skin of her throat, seeing her reaction as she bucked into his body her scent deepening as she did it. Moving closer to them both Lupa watched Logan’s fingers enter her from beneath, seeing Logan’s own arousal twitch as he did so. Remembering the feel of her against him as he’d filled her with himself, watching Logan shift her against the tree, seeing the smooth movement of his body as he entered her. A small grunt of satisfaction coming from him as he began to move inside her, seeing him take her, his movements smooth and relaxed. Katherine turned her eyes to him and held out a hand to him, her words entering his head without her speaking them. “Come to me Lupa, come to me.”

Lupa was next to him when Wolverine opened his eyes again, the young male was aroused and needy, his body size was bigger than his but he had rights to Katherine and he was determined to keep them. The gentle voice of Katherine entered his mind speaking to him while her hand wrapped around the solid erection of Lupa. “He needs me Wolverine, like Hank needed you.” At the memory of Hank he thrusted deep into her body a cry coming from her lips, her voice continuing in his head, “Remember the forest, the night I had you both? Two lovers joined by my body? Look and see your son Wolverine, see him as he really is.” Turning his head to see Lupa, the broad chest and body a deep black, his height over seven feet, his breadth nearly three. Muscular and strong, his face was a halfway point like Hanks but his frame was bigger, his entire body was humming with power, a fire burning in his gaze. He was amazing, seeing Katherine’s hand holding his erection it’s size making her hand seem like a child’s, then the image faded back to how he was. Still bucking into the grip around him but smaller, weaker than the vision he’d had of him.

Feeling Katherine shift down into his body, her breath warm and her scent filling him with hunger, “Take me, show him how, teach him.” Lupa was holding the tree above her head his breath huffing over her hair his other hand resting on Katherine’s breast. Dropping his head to the cradled flesh Wolverine suckled the soft nipple bringing it firm in his mouth before releasing it, nodding to Lupa to copy. Watching him suckle the ample breast as he bucked into her hand, scenting his peak coming fast and hard. Katherine moaning and writhing under him as he dropped to her other breast, words that made no sense to either of them running over their bodies. Feeling something build around them as they fought to finish, Wolverine dropping into the background as Logan pulled his mind forward balancing himself. Fucking her in earnest now as their passions built, feeling Lupa’s large hand grip onto his shoulder as he came in Katherine’s hand, the scent of his release triggering his own deep inside Katherine.

The tight flesh of her body spasming around him as she peaked, a wave of pure silence rippling out from them as she cried out into the forest. Lupa dropping his ears to protect them as she did so, Logan pushing himself deep into her body as she spasmed around him. His teeth finding her throat and biting her, marking her on her left, seeing Lupa copying him his hand between their bodies rubbing her clit in circles as she flowed along. Looking at Lupa’s eyes as he lifted his head from her neck, sliding out of her, giving her over to Lupa, watching him take her weight easily. Her hand still gripping him, rubbing him along her open labia making him rumble as she released him, feeling him slip inside her, her thick legs gripping him tightly. Her body still going through the waves of pleasure that were flowing inside her as Lupa began to move smoothly inside her. His movements a direct copy of Logan’s own until Katherine gripped his back with her nails, seeing his skin ripple as he shifted again. A deep rumble coming from inside him as he bucked harder, the thrusts making the tree shift as he growled, his teeth elongating as he climbed to peak again.

Logan watched as Lupa’s body shifted again to his largest form, his hands huge as he gripped the bark with his claws. Katherine hanging onto him by his fur alone now her own wildness coming through as she bit his fur, her body writhing hard against Lupa’s own. Logan watching as they matched each other in speed and viciousness, sensing this was how it was for Lupa’s kind. They battled as they fucked, they gained rank and position this way like wolves did, Katherine was Lupa’s now, and he had no claim on her anymore. Backing away, he heard the pleased chuff come from his muzzle as he went to get his clothes. He’d talk to him on the way home, tell him about Katherine, who she is, what she is and how she died. He just hoped he’d understand it all, that the woman he was fucking wasn’t really here, she was there but she was made from the forest all around him. He knew he had a little explaining of his own to do to Marie but she’d understand if he asked Katherine to show her as well as him. He’d get the cold shoulder for a while but it’d been worth it.

Seeing them both still as the air filled with the scent of sex and satisfaction, Lupa letting Katherine’s feet touch the ground as he licked her shoulder and neck. Knowing he loved her, she’d caught him like she did every man she’d ever touched, smiling to himself as Katherine kissed Lupa and pulled away melting back into the forest. Leaving nothing of herself but laughter on the night air, walking back to Lupa who’d returned to his normal form seeing the tired look and almost shell-shocked expression on his face. Logan realised this had been his first, he’d never known anything or done anything until now, pride swelled in his breast as he helped him back up. Both of them naked as the day they were born, Lupa’s face beginning to colour as he realised exactly what he’d done, “Come on we’ll talk on the way home.” Lupa followed him as he picked up his clothes and boots, relishing the cool breeze on his skin, seeing Lupa catch the scent of Katherine on the breeze his eyes closing as his body reacted to it. Laughing he slapped him on the shoulder, “Come on stud, she’ll kill you if you try it again. Your young but your stamina’s for shit. That comes with practice believe me.” Lupa’s grin broke out across his face and the tension dropped from him as they walked toward home.

Lupa’s mind was whirling; he’d followed a scent and had been given the best present a young man could have, an experienced lover. Looking at Logan Lupa stopped on the path, his fur shining in the moonlight and his features making him look like a myth walked out of a storybook. Logan turned as he noticed he’d stopped walking, the look on the young mans face was indescribable, he looked as if the world had just been cracked open for him and he’d been told he could eat everything. Logan waited for Lupa to ask, it didn’t take long. “Who is she? I haven’t seen her at the school or on the grounds I’d have remembered her.”

Logan looked around and sat on a log half hidden by moss and ferns, motioning to Lupa to sit. Seeing him just crouch in front of him instead his face needing to see the expressions that covered his face as he answered him.
“Katherine is real, lets just get that over and done with first. She came here a few years ago as a refugee; she had a gift that allowed her to become part of everything else around her. Basically she melded into the forest, her spirit did anyway, she made a choice about her future here and she put others above herself. Sabretooth came to the school, a mutant who’d been experimented on by the government, some of the people here he wanted to hurt. He blamed them for him being experimented on, so he came back and Katherine killed him, thing was Sabretooth killed her first.” The whole thing sounded crazy to him at first, yet as he remembered the feel of her body under his fingers she’d felt soft like moss. Her eyes were bright green like the wing cases of beetles, but she’d been warm, felt utterly real, so she must be alive mustn’t she?
“But if she died how could she…?” Lupa left the question wide open as he blushed crimson, the thought of exactly what he’d been having sex with suddenly exploding in his mind. Logan reached out and touched his shoulders, his eyes locking onto Lupa’s own.

“I don’t know. All I do know is that she’s here for you, now she’s still alive Lupa, Hank and Xavier know how to explain it in terms you can understand. Me I just accept what I can see and smell, she’s real, feels real, smells real,” his face took on a leer as he added, “Tasted real too.” The mutual smile on Lupa’s face was enough to convince him that Lupa had enjoyed the experience. “Katherine loved us, she looked after Amber as if she was her own child.” At the mention of Amber Lupa’s gaze grew serious, “She cared about everyone Lupa and she’s here for you. I know growing up isn’t easy and being what we are doesn’t make it any easier either. Just know that when things get a bit much for you she’ll be here for you, that’s something rare Lupa. I miss her everyday. Seeing Amber’s curiosity and remembering how she’d always answer her questions even when she couldn’t speak yet. So just accept it as she gives it, when she calls you go. I understand and I’ll talk to Marie if you want me to.” Lupa read the scent and the words that had come from him and he knew he was telling him the truth, that Katherine was real, she was here and she wanted to be with him. The thought of her body resting against his made him shudder, the frisson carrying through him and passing into his gaze, seeing Logan notice it and smile. “Yeah she’s something isn’t she? No one could ever reach me as fast as she could, can.” Lupa remembered the name she’d called him when he’d first come toward them, seeing Logan lost in his own remembrance of her he asked his question.

“Why did she call you Wolverine?” Logan looked at the young man crouched in front of him, the need to know shining out of him.
“Wolverine is the other half of me Lupa, my wild side, the one who wants to let go, the animal inside me, the one you sensed the first day I met you.” Lupa remembered the first scent he’d had of Logan, it had been rich and full, and it had a musky undercurrent that was always there though. Some days it was stronger than others were but it was always there and Lupa understood now, it was his wolf, his rage, and his power inside himself. Thing was Amber had the same smell as he did, just lighter, he decided not to say this though as Logan was scenting a little sad.
“Did I upset you?” Logan met his gaze and he could see the smile returning to Logan’s eyes.
“No, just that I forget about him sometimes. That side of me is handy but he ain’t a great person to be around ya know?” Lupa nodded as he stood up looking at his own body, seeing his fur sticky in several places and the scent of Katherine covering him.
“I’ve a feeling I’m not exactly safe to be around either. Especially when I lose control of myself.” Logan stood up picking up his clothes and boots wrapping his arm over the large shoulders of Lupa.
“That’s okay because you’ve got me and Marie to help you, as well as Hank and Katherine when you need her.”
He saw Lupa blush as he walked with him, “Think I’ll be spending a lot of time outside then.”
“Don’t worry about it, your just catching up a few years that’s all and you’ll get control over it believe me. When I was travelling around, I’d go through women like nothing on earth, until I learned that if I waited it was better. You can’t hurt Katherine Lupa, she’s stronger than you think and she won’t get pregnant either. So just enjoy what she can teach you, you want to ask me or Marie something you just ask us okay.” Lupa nodded as they neared home, the early light making the white steps glow.
“Will you tell Marie about what you did with Katherine?” Logan sighed and looked at the cabin, he couldn’t not tell her but he knew she’d be pissed when he did tell her.
“Yes I’ll tell her, she deserves to know and you’d better be prepared for the cold shoulder treatment. I’ll get the brunt of it but you might too, just a warning kid, she kind of sees me as her property alone you know.” Lupa nodded, as he thought this through.

“Yeah, Katherine’s mine.” The statement came out solid, forceful and meant from the heart, Logan saw the glow of possession in his gaze and he smiled at it. Moving them both toward the cabin, he answered him.
“You’ll get no arguments from me on that count, just hope I get to sleep in my own bed sometime this month.” With that Logan took Lupa back inside, knowing tomorrow was going to be a bit difficult but he had to be honest with Marie about everything, he’d hidden things before and he knew how much he’d fucked up that time. Listening to Lupa’s stomach growl as they went in it looked like the fridge was going to be raided again, he just hoped they’d bought enough to feed them both. His mind going back to the look in Katherine’s eyes as he’d seen her being taken by Lupa, seeing her under him then in his arms as he’d gotten rough with her. Katherine fitted him and if Katherine fitted him then it stood to reason Anne would, after all she was the carrier of the gifts she’d had, why else would she have told him she was coming home?

Seeing Lupa stood naked in the kitchen a spoon in hand, as he demolished a carton of ice cream his tongue chasing the remains in the cardboard container. Smiling to himself Logan just popped a beer and watched as Lupa ate, whatever would come would come. He’d survived up to now, if the likes of Stryker couldn’t kill him what could Marie do to him? A chill went through him as he suddenly realised just how much she could do to him, making him drain his beer quickly and send Lupa to get washed first before he ate anything else. Reluctantly Lupa padded upstairs leaving Logan to tidy the kitchen and get out plates, better do some damage control while he could. Settling back he waited for Marie to come home with Amber, sat naked in his own kitchen knowing the sight would give him the advantage in the coming conversation. All he could do was wait and hope Marie was feeling a little ‘hungry’ herself, smiling he crossed his arms and waited.

CAMP OUT

It was 8.30 when Marie walked in through the back door; he’d just finished washing the dishes they’d used for breakfast. Lupa was napping on the old sofa after the major meal he’d put away; he’d powered through at least two pounds of bacon, sixteen eggs, two loaves of toast and two jugs of juice. Logan had just picked at the food he’d snagged letting Lupa clean up what he’d left behind, he knew why his appetite was off, Marie. He needed to tell her about what had happened with Katherine, it hurt not to, so when she walked in and wrapped her arms around him her nose picked up the scent of the forest all over him. Breathing into his back he could almost see her face working it out, searching her mind with his own, he saw her putting the clues together as she drew away. Turning to see her eyes cold and a little harsh he spoke, “I didn’t have much choice about it Marie.”

Showing her everything, the rising of Wolverine as he chased after Lupa, knowing he was heading for the pond, the pond where she died. Sharing everything, the fear of losing him to the water, losing another he loved by not being careful. Showing her the sight of Lupa fucking Katherine, his ‘true’ shape eventually, her words asking him to show him how without killing someone. Seeing the rage and desire that had burned through Lupa, the danger he’d been in just by being there and watching Katherine take it on and match it. The rage in them both as they rutted, nothing remotely human about it, everything to do with need and power. Marie wrapped her arms around his waist, as she looked into his eyes her own green sparking as she felt him shift into her hips. “No one said it’d be easy bringing up a teenager Logan, especially one as ‘gifted’ as Lupa.” Logan could feel her softening to his side of things she could feel the guilt all over him, he hadn’t wanted to do what he’d done but he’d had no choice. Wolverine sometimes took control and Logan had to deal with the consequences, like this. “Where is he?”
“Asleep on the sofa, he demolished the bacon.” Marie nodded into his chest, her smile running over his skin as she kissed the skin next to her mouth. Logan could feel her stirrings inside her mind, the sight of him making love to Katherine reminding her of her own needs. Showing him a picture of her in Katherine’s place as she slid her hands up his back, feeling him respond to it, listening to his purr deepen into a growl as his erection stiffened against her.

There were no words, he just opened the back door and led her outside quickly, her eyes were filled with hunger and she needed to eat. Pushing her against the cabin wall out of sight of everyone Logan just lifted her up into his arms, her skirt aside and her body already waiting for him. No underwear, she’d been coming to ambush him anyway, they hadn’t managed to be together for a couple of days and they’d both missed the contact. “Marie!” His voice was muffled by her hair as he slid inside her, feeling her strong legs wrap around his waist as he moved inside her, the early morning mists finally burning away as they made love. The sound of laughter ringing through the forest as both of them remade their bonds, knowing what he’d done wasn’t right but it had been forgiven. He hadn’t had a choice but it wasn’t going to happen again. Feeling the world come right Logan smiling at his luck, he had a family, a home and someone watching over them all, little did he know how easily things could change.

The kids had settled quickly after the first few arguments, Lupa was helping the kids load their sleeping bags in the large dorm on the top floor of the lodge, and he was calmer when he’d woken up after his sleep. There were changes in him that Logan could sense rather than see, Peiter was up there with him and he could hear the large mans laughter as he looked up at the mezzanine. “Hey if your done up there get down here, we need to get the kids organised into groups.” Lupa’s head appeared over the edge and nodded. “Sure Logan, be down in a sec.” He heard a half-murmured comment about being henpecked come from Peiter.
Looking at the rest of the kids milling around outside with Damask and Marie Logan felt the air changing, they were relaxing out here, feeling safe with him. The younger kids were playing with footballs and frisbees up here, the laughter in the air intoxicating; Jubilee was creched with the toddlers in the large penned play area. There were around thirty youngsters in all, ranging in ages from three to sixteen, hearing Lupa and Peiter come down he turned to speak to them both. “I want a perimeter set up Pete, take Lupa and show him how. I want this place secured before lunch.” Peiter nodded and slapped Lupa on the back, “Come on little wolf, I’ll show you how to make traps to give us warning if anything comes near.”

Watching as they melted into the forest he couldn’t help but feel something had changed last night, as if Lupa had broken through a barrier inside himself. That he was growing quickly and he’d passed a mile stone. Marie had joined Jubilee playing with the toddlers, Amber in the middle of the lot of them laughing and playing. Her playmates different colours and different skinned but it made no difference to her, she was loved and that was all that mattered. Hank was setting up the small medical room inside, the small allowances it had were enough for emergencies but he doubted they’d be needed while they were out here. Finally feeling his own nerves wind down as the sun warmed his skin, the forest was alive and Pieter was showing Lupa a few tricks he’d learned out in Siberia. Smiling he went over to the girls, no thoughts in his head but the joy he could see on their faces, it would be a pity that it wouldn’t last.


Anne was making her way slowly back, the things she’d seen were enough to make her smile but she was needed at home now, the strength of her powers was building and she’d heard the summons in Chicago. Katherine had called her home; she’d pointed the vardo homeward that day and got going. She’d been travelling around for six months, it wasn’t the usual education that she’d been promised at Xaviers but she’d kept up with her mail course, letting them know where she was going to be the next week. Picking up her mail from the post office was easy. She was on the way home and that was all that mattered to her, so it surprised her to be stopped just the other side of New York. There were several dark vans with mirrored sides and she heard the shutters of several cameras taking her picture as she passed. Her identity was checked, as were her papers of residency, the entire thing taking her over an hour to move on. Her vardo was searched and she asked the dark suited men what they were looking for, they turned her biology samples upside down, rooted through every single cupboard and nook. When they found nothing they simply left the mess behind and moved onto the next one, she watched as the men searched every large vehicle. Clucking her horse to walk on Anne left the roadblock behind, her nerves screaming out that something was wrong.

She found it when she was clearing up the mess a few miles down the road, a small transmitter with a battery. Taking it in hand, she went outside and concentrated hard, a few minutes later a crow landed on the roof of the vardo, she held out the small black transmitter in the palm of her hand. The crow dived down and plucked the thing from her palm, taking it away in the opposite direction back to the roadblock. Smiling to herself Anne carried on unknowing that she was still carried a passenger right into heart of her family, one that would change everything.

Logan was coming toward the gatehouse when he caught sight of the yellow vardo coming down the track, smiling he decided to meet Anne before she got to the gates. Vaulting the wall he landed softly in the leafmold, checking he hadn’t been spotted yet ran along the edge of the forest toward the vardo. When it came into view he couldn’t see Anne, the horse was moving slowly forward on its own, from his vantage point he couldn’t see into the vardo but her disappearance was enough to cause him concern. Dropping down out of the tree he was in, he startled the horse for a second before it calmed and let him take hold of it’s bridle, he’d just gotten hold of it when he felt a prick in his ribs. “Now you wouldn’t steal a woman’s only transport would you? I mean I thought someone like you would like something a little faster, a motorbike perhaps?” The smile in the words made him turn to see Anne holding a wicked looking knife to his ribs, right next to his kidneys, if she’d stabbed him he’d be dead in a few minutes if he’d been human. Grabbing the knife and twisting it out of her grip he leered at her as she spun away, her skirts rising and feeling the air cut around the edge of it. His eye catching the sparkle of metal as it flashed by, seeing his eyes following the edge she spoke to him, “Nice eh? Learned that one at a spring camp, doesn’t take much to sew them in and they’ve never been spotted by a metal detector yet.”

Logan threw the knife into the vardo and held out his arms to Anne, smiling she walked into the embrace, her skin browned and her gaze much older. “I didn’t get to Chicago but I did do some information work while I was out there. Something’s changed Logan, there’s an undercurrent happening, I was stopped just outside New York, the entire vardo was searched. Got rid of a bug too, the world isn’t as safe as we’d liked to think Logan, they’re watching any large vehicle or unusual movement.” He let her move out of his embrace and look at him, her eyes were different, older somehow, she smiled as she moved her long skirts touching the road. “What’s happening Logan? She called me back, you need me don’t you?” Logan sighed as he climbed up on the driving board, holding out his hand to her she took it and sat next to him. Clucking her teeth, the horse moved onward, the gates opening automatically to her and passing through their familiar ironwork. Her first breath filling her lungs as if it was her first ever breath of clean air, a smile lodged itself inside her as she moved deeper into her territory. Looking over at her passenger he just pointed over to the west ridge, he wanted her parked out there. The logging trail was wide enough for her to drive the vardo up it, and when they reached the end of it he jumped down and held out his hand to her. Seeing his thoughts written across his face Anne touched him softly, her smile reaching his heart and making him voice his thoughts. “Stay here, there’s something going on with outsiders, if they stopped you you could have more visitors than you know or found. I just want to be on the safe side.”
“I understand Logan I do, how’s Amber and Marie? They both okay?” He knew she was avoiding asking about Lupa, she’d known they were going to find him and bring him home, she knew he’d tell her when he felt like it.
“Yeah they’re fine, Lupa’s settled well. Thing is I need you to ask Katherine something about him, I know she’s brought you back for a reason I’m just wondering if it’s him.” Anne nodded; she could see the sense of his thoughts.
“Katherine is all around us at the moment, listening to our words now. I’ll get camp set up and I’ll expect you later, bring him with you, Lupa that is, she wants me to meet him.” Logan looked at her and the small little wild bee that was walking through her hair, reaching out to the little brown body she watched as it crossed over to his fingers before returning to her hair. “He asks about you you know, Wayland. Amber is his godchild and there are more things than I even thought possible Logan, I’ve seen some of them. But whatever I can help with I will, I’m home for the winter, there’s no point going out again only to be called home when I’m needed. I’ll see you later Logan I’ve got the horse to see to.” With that, she dismissed him as curtly as if he’d been her son, the change in her evident to him, her laughter and amusement was still there but she had a steel edge to her now as well. One he knew had been used in the last six months of her being away.

The world wasn’t a safe place for mutants or anyone who was different these days, the government had been quiet and that always made Logan nervous. It meant they were doing things behind the scenes, unnoticed, unobserved and quietly making as few ripples as possible and that meant whatever they were doing was something big and if found out could cause huge problems. Logan left Anne his thoughts mixed as he went to check on the house, going through the trails that led to the back of the school. His footsteps disturbing a fox that was hanging around the bins, the small creature taking something in it’s jaws and running back into the forest. Smiling as he watched the red tail disappear into the underbrush, it’s scent rich and heady to his nose, the smell of it almost covering something else, a sickly sweet smell one that didn’t belong here. Logan’s eyes narrowed slightly as he moved toward the kitchen door, the gravel path had been walked on recently by a heavy booted person, the shallow impressions were deeper near the door. Taking out his key Logan looked at the lock, new scratches glinted in the sunlight that had nothing to do with a key. Stopping his hand he made a forgetful gesture with his empty hand and walked back the way he’d come, grumbling to himself berating his stupidity until he knew he was no longer under the gaze of someone.

Taking a different route he got back to the cabin just as the sun was beginning to lower over the forest, the kids were happy and playing a game inside. Jubilee and Damask were getting food ready for the kids; Peiter and Lupa were being ridden and playing chase with the rest of the older children. Logan went straight for Marie who was holding Amber and reading with her, at the sight of Logan’s face she didn’t ask she just listened. “Get the kids downstairs, there’s someone in the mansion, do it quiet and quickly. Show em a movie or something but get them moving.” Logan went over to Pieter and pulled him out of a pile of kids who were trying to keep the big russian down. Marie’s voice rang out over the room as Pieter got up.
“Hey how about we have a picnic downstairs? Jubes, we got enough snacks made already?” Jubilee looked over to the serious look in her friends eye and saw the importance of her keeping this light and airy.
“Sure, we could do popcorn down there. We Movie watching too?”
“Of course! What do you guys want to see?” At the mention of movie’s several voices shouted out what they wanted to watch and several kids were already waiting at the top of the stairs to go down. Logan walked over to the stairs and opened the security lock, his finger waving just under the first kids nose. “Any mess when I see it tomorrow and you’ll be scrubbing the entire place with a toothbrush. Got me?” The kid nodded but smiled as Logan moved aside letting the group fly downstairs, the sounds of their play already filling the secure basement. The top room was soon empty, Logan looked at Pieter and Lupa, Lupa wanted to go with him but he knew it was too dangerous for him to come. “Lupa, I need you to look after Amber,” plucking her out of Marie’s arms handing her over to Lupa. Amber’s face looking directly at her fathers and seeing his serious expression, “Amber, you remember what I told you about doing what I tell you?” The little dark haired head nodded as she twined her fingers in Lupa’s fur, her gaze serious and attentive. “I want you to stay with Lupa downstairs, mummy will be with you as well but she might have to do other things okay, so I want you to stay with Lupa. It’s important Amber do you understand?” Amber nodded and Logan smiled at her bravery, taking her hand he kissed it and looked at Lupa. He understood the weight of the thing Logan had given him, something was wrong and he’d given the job of protecting Amber to him knowing he’d do anything for her. Lupa just chuffed and went down the stairs to join the rest of the already noisy kids. Marie rested her hand on her husbands shoulder, her kiss brief and her smile warm.
“Go, see what’s happening I’ll lock down after you’ve gone.” Logan nodded and took Pieter with him, just before they left he turned and added, “Anne’s back, I’ll bring her up later. If there is a later.” His pessimism wasn’t something she was used to hearing and it unnerved her a little. Watching the two men walk away down the slope toward whatever was down there, locking the cabin down making it the most secure place in the world. Say what you like about Scott but he knows his detail, it had taken both of them six months to agree on the plans but it was the best in the world. She just hoped he’d be there when she opened the doors again.

Pieter headed off in the direction of the forest tunnel entrance, the one he’d used in the raid. He knew it would be the best place to gain entrance to the mansion undetected. Leading Logan to it, he kept calm and quiet, only changing into his battle form when they were inside the tunnel proper. Running down the long corridors it took them minutes to get under the mansion, climbing back up the escape routes, deciding on the upper level to enter they both released the false wall. Sliding back on oiled runners it shifted perfectly without a sound, both men crept out into the silent corridor, the dust gently falling in a shaft of sunlight. Taking off his boots Logan hung them round his neck, his feet finding the warm wood floor, padding off silently they went toward the office. If anyone were snooping that’d be the best place to start.

The sound of keys being hit reached his ears through the door, the hum of the computer fan confirmed his suspicions, the sound stopped as they both took hold of the door handles. Bursting through both of them saw a dark clad shape smash through the patio doors, running across the lawn hand raised to his mouth. The sound of rotor blades filling the air as a helicopter swooped down, a steel ladder hung beneath the skids. The dark clad figure twisted turned and jumped, the whole thing reminiscent of someone he’d met before, Toad. The figure met the steel ladder and the helicopter pulled away into the blue, it’s passenger swinging like a piņata beneath. Angry and frustrated at being denied his quarry Logan watched the plain black helicopter power away. Turning back he looked at Pieter who had an expression of uncompleted rage on his face, settling his own anger Logan patted the large Russian on the shoulder. “Come on lets see what our visitor was looking for,” leading him back inside the office.

The computer screen was filled with names, the names and addresses of mutant families, those who’d sent their children here to study, every families address had been copied. Picking up the phone Logan dialled the mobile number Xavier had given him, knowing if he rang it’d be an emergency. It looked like one to him, if someone was using Toad to do their dirty work then they had to be government. No-one had heard anything about Toad since Liberty Island, everyone had thought he’d died but the scent and style of escape were a copy of Toad. The phone rang twice before it was answered, Scott’s clipped voice was on the other end, “Yeah what can I do for you?” Logan could hear the laughter of kids and the splashing of water in the background. He hated having to break the bad news; “We’ve had a break in.” The tone on the other end of the line changed in a heartbeat, he knew Scott would still be smiling but he’d be strained trying to hide what was happening.
“Tell me about it.”
“I think it was Toad, he hacked into the school records, took the entire list of families as far as we know. Nothing else, no damage, nothing removed just the names and addresses of the families.” He could hear Jean asking what the problem was, knowing he’d be sharing the conversation with Charles and Jean at the same time.
“Okay, just make the area safe and leave it. We’ll do some recon down here we have Kitty she can access the mainframe remotely, see what Toad was upto. You sure it was him?”
“As sure as I know Red dyes her hair.” The grunt of laughter down the phone was met with a smile on his end from Pieter.
“I won’t tell her you know that, it’s more than your life’s worth. Make everything secure and keep yourselves safe; we’ll be back in about five days. We can get something organised then, hopefully we’ll know more if Kitty does her job well enough.” Logan looked at the smashed doors and the disturbed office; he wanted to know what was going on, was this Gen-Techa? If so why did they take the names of the kids, the names themselves were on the educational register the only thing different about their files was the small file about each child’s mutant ability. Was that what they were after? Scott hung up and Logan looked at the concerned face of Pieter, the big man was unsure what to do just as much as he was.
“Come on lets get this secure, then we can go back. When everyone comes home we’ll do something about this. Just unplug this hardrive, keep it separate just in case he left us any presents.” Pieter did as he was asked unplugging the entire thing and stacking it on the mahogany desk, his skin returned to normal he just looked at Logan his frustration evident.
“What did he want?” Logan looked at the big man, seeing the need for honesty he just told him what he thought.
“Names, descriptions of powers, lists. All of the information we have is valuable to someone Pieter, the right word to the right people and someone disappears. We’ve seen this before a few years ago just after I came home, when Hank joined us. We’d just better be ready because I’ve a feeling this time they’ll be coming through the back door.” Peiter nodded and looked at the damage to the patio doors, “I’ll go get some wood.” With that he left Logan alone in the smashed room, wondering exactly what was coming their way and what it would mean to his family.