Author's Chapter Notes:
The truth about Hank's involvement comes clear and we find out that not everyone has Lupa's best interests ay heart.
Xavier lifted his hand from Lupa’s head and touched his own face as the tears ran down. Logan had seen everything; he’d broadcast it to him as he found it, no filter no softening of the memories just the truth. They were in Lupa’s room at the cabin, the boy being withdrawn and almost catatonic when Logan had carried him inside. Marie had called for Xavier immediately and he’d come at once, now she waited downstairs with Amber preparing dinner. Xavier’s grey eyes met Logan’s own and they left the sleeping boy wrapped up in his own bed, Logan’s old blanket wrapped around him for comfort. Making their way down the broad stairs they met the gaze of Marie who was sat with Amber playing with her toys in front of the fire. Moving with restraint, she’d often seen before Logan put Xavier back into his chair and moved him over to Marie. If the combined looks were anything to go by it was bad news. Xavier started first, his grey eyes finding hers and the depth of sorrow she found in them was almost too much for her to look at directly. “It’s as we thought, he was taken to a medical centre of some kind and ‘explored’.”

Marie knew the terminology that the school had for the horrors that the rest of the world meted out for mutants who were ‘interesting’ to the medical community and she felt her stomach turn as she looked at Amber. Knowing that it could have been her own child. Turning back, she reached out to Logan and he grabbed her hand quickly, his grim expression never changing. “By the looks of things his parents were travellers, what I could glean from his memories he was only three when he was taken from them. Kept somewhere for around four years and then given over to the state system at the end of it.” Marie could feel Logan’s grip tightening on hers and his body language had stepped up a gear his eyes riveted on Amber. Xavier caught his build up and reached a hand out to him, saying nothing Logan just looked at him and left the room. Slamming the back door as he left, Amber snapped her head up and looked at her mother. Smiling back to her as she continued to play with the wooden blocks and animals her father had made her.

The summer evening had nothing but calm to show him, inside he was seething the animal baying for blood. To lose himself in its purity of will, to rend the life out of something at the end of his hands, to quell this anger that was building with each thing he learned about Lupa. Seeing the memory in his mind of the fire and the boots, the lab where they held him it became too close to his own pain. Over the last few years he’d managed to get the dreams to stop, not to react the same way as he’d done for years. Now the scabs were being torn off and the wounds were fresh again, but this time they were done to a child.
His claws fired and Logan just ran into the forest, letting the anger and pain take him away from the house, away from the ones he loved in case he couldn’t control the anger anymore. As he ran, the animal settled in his eyes, it’s intent clear to the residents of the forest who began to scatter out of his way. His scent deepening as he ran, freeing himself of his shirt he let the warm air run across his body. His scent carrying further, allowing the animals to scent him and run for cover. Anything that crossed his path had a chance to get away if it scented him coming. Inside he hoped something wouldn’t.

Xavier watched him leave and heard the footsteps running away from the cabin. Turning his attention back to Marie he just smiled, “ It looks like we’ll be having deer again at the school.” The comment reminding Marie about her promise to Jean she quickly telephone the school and made arrangements for someone to come and pick up the joint she’d promised them. Sitting down again after the call she found Amber sitting in Xavier’s lap holding out a little carved wolf figurine, “That’s Lupa.”
“Yes Amber it is,” his eyes searching her face for any sign of fear or upset and finding nothing as he quickly scanned her mind except her curiosity at the new shape Lupa could do. Marie plucked her out of his lap and put her back down on the floor and she went back to playing with her animals.
“Lupa has a lot of problems doesn’t he?” Marie was concerned at the turn of events, at whether Amber would be safe with him after this. Xavier caught her concern and reached over to her hand.
“She’s safe with him Marie, he’d never let anything hurt her. Inside he’s been battered and abused but he’s strong and has made it this far. He is a Logan after all,” the small smirk playing on his lips meant to lighten the mood which it did. “Let him come to the house tomorrow and we’ll start some basic counselling with him. He’s had a lot to take in today. Let him rest and he’ll be down for food later I’m sure.” Looking at the small mantle clock it read 6.30pm. “I should be getting back, there’s still calls I have to return.” Marie found the clock and her face almost paled with shock. “Don’t worry about the course, I’m sure we can re-arrange things. You’re needed here at the moment and I’m sure Amber won’t mind the extra attention.” At the mention of her name she looked up and smiled her voice clear when she squeaked out, “Kurt!”
There was a soft thump behind them and Kurt walked over to them smiling, his hands already open to Amber who was pushing off the floor to meet him. Laughing she threw herself into his arms and lost herself in the patterns that covered his face. Smiling past her hands he nodded to Marie and caught Xavier’s attention.
“There’s a man in your office who needs to speak with you Professor, Jean sent me to collect you and tonight’s dinner.” His bright eyes catching Xavier’s and the meaning of the expectant man wasn’t lost on Marie. Walking over to Amber she plucked her off Kurt and sent her back to her toys asking her to put them away in their box. She did so obediently and quietly as they talked.

“How do you get her to do that?” Kurt asked, the look of almost disbelief as Amber worked quietly at stacking the animals up. Marie smiled as she answered.
“Logan made the animals so they’d fit in the box only one way, so she had to learn how to put them all back in the right order. He wouldn’t let her play with them until she could put the lid on properly and lock it.” Smiling proudly to herself as she remembered the day, she’d worked it out.
“But how did she learn if she wasn’t allowed to play with them?” Xavier smiled as he knew the answer and spoke first.
“Logan played with them,” the conspiratory smile meeting the one in his eyes. “But I’m sure he’ll deny everything if you ask him Kurt and it may be bad for your health if you do.”
“Understood but the image is one I will keep for a long time, even if it’s only to myself.” Smiling Marie went to the large larder and pulled out the joint she had promised, her mind replaying the days Logan had spent showing Amber the carved wooden toys and putting each one back in the box in turn. Letting her touch them, see them but not play with them until she could recite each ones name and know their shapes with her eyes closed. Bringing back the meat, she handed it to Kurt still in its waxed paper wrapping. Seeing Amber had finished her packing she watched her as she sat in front of the fire and just watched the flames. Xavier broke the silence.
“We’d better get going Marie, don’t worry about Lupa. He’s stronger than you think; all he needs is time and a little bit of love. You have plenty of both I know, all of you.” She knew he was talking about Logan but he wouldn’t mention it in front of Kurt. He knew more than most what lay underneath his gruff exterior and snappy remarks and he wasn’t going to spoil the image that had kept them safe for the last few months now. “Kurt if you don’t mind?”
“Of course Professor.” Handing Xavier the joint he gripped the chair and they both bamfed away leaving a slight tang of sulphur in the air. The inrush of air making Amber turn round seeing them gone she walked over to her mother and yawned.
“You tired honey?”
“Yeah but I’m hungry first.” Laughing at her words that echoed her fathers own she went to the kitchen and sat her at the table. Her own eyes drifting to the woods and wondering how he was doing.

The forest was still as he was, settled in a bole he watched the boar below him, its bristling hide sleek in the evening light. Two long tusks jutted out of the sides of its mouth as it swung its head from side to side searching the undergrowth for food. Letting the blades slip free from his hands slowly, the flash of pain sharpening his instincts momentarily, catching the scent of another predator on the breeze. The boar stiffened as it too caught the scent, turning toward it; it lowered its vast head and waited. A sleek golden shape emerged from the undergrowth; muscles twitching as it sized up the boar in front of it. A low growl emerged from the cougars throat, so far it hadn’t sensed him at all so concentrated it was on stalking the boar. The boar lowered its head and charged straight on, catching the cougar under the belly with a tusk, it ripped savagely upwards. The scent of blood filled the small area, gritting his teeth he watched as the cougar flew upwards with the force of the throw.

Suppressing his own growl Logan moved into a better position, pulling his legs up under him, tensing the muscle, getting ready to leap down into the fray. The cougar injured now was panting slightly as it leapt onto the boar’s wide back, swinging round the boar caught the elderly cougars wounded side and bit down hard. The scream that echoed through the forest sent birds scattering into the sky and Logan leapt down from his hiding place. One set of blades slicing through the skull of the boar, killing him instantly, his jaws set firm in the cougars side. The other set buried in the cougars chest, he could feel the blades slice the heart in two felt the muscle try to beat once again then just stop. His own cry had been smothered by the need for silence but now he could free it, all the anger, pain, hurt and hatred flowed out of him into the carcasses at his hands.

Screaming loud he shook them away from each other, the boar landing a few feet away, the cougar going further and hitting a tree with an audible crack as it’s spine snapped against it. Feeling the hatred flow away from him, dripping out of him into the earth, the blood covering his hands becoming sticky as he pulled the blades back into himself. Reaching down to the boar hands feeling the great muscle underneath the shoulders and head, he hefted the carcass onto his shoulder, the bristles tickling his skin. Looking over at the cougar smashed and broken against the tree he hoped the wolves would come and finish what he’d started. Looking at the broken body, he could only wish it had been Sabretooth lying there waiting for the wolves to come and eat what remained. Remembering the day that had been sorted out once and for all, the pain of remembering the loss that had come with the death of one of his oldest enemies.

Shrugging off the animal inside he put his head toward home, back to the child who’d caused this anger to rise inside of him. He’d known him all of two days but he was his family, or what was left of his family and he’d do everything he could to help him. A fierce protective streak had been fired in him the day he’d seen the place he’d been in, the orphanage. With it’s sense of propriety, the human want to shut anything away that was different, the abuse at the hands of his carers. He quickly shoved the thoughts away, they wouldn’t help calm him and he didn’t want to come home in worse mood than he’d left. Shifting the weight a little he carried on home, knowing that tonight he’d be asking Hank a few questions he really didn’t want the answers to. But if he was going to have any kind of relationship with him he needed to know the truth.

As he climbed the last ridge he could see into the small kitchen and Amber was sat at the table, her fingers picking at the food in front of her. He just stood and watched her, wondering how long it would take her to realise. It didn’t take long, she smiled and pointed out at him, Marie turned her head and waved. Seeing her father coming home, Amber ate with gusto, shovelling it away as fast as possible. Marie was trying to slow her down but not succeeding very well at all. Tying the carcass to the skinning poles he pulled out the old tarpaulin and popped a claw, the kitchen door opening as he’d just started to slice the belly open. Amber was at his legs before he could even finish the first cut. Her smiling face looking tired and sleepy, reflecting the last light of the day. Marie came over and picked her up so she could watch as he gutted and skinned the boar. The innards were the first to come out and be put on the tarp; Marie spoke up as he was handling the liver. “Hang on I’ll get a bowl, we can have that for dinner,” her voice carrying as she went into the kitchen with Amber. “Keep the kidneys too and the heart.” His eyebrow raised at her as she came back out with a bowl, she was telling him things he already knew. She caught his look and just smiled at him, they stayed together as he finished skinning the carcass and jointing it. The head he left in the undergrowth, looking at the two sharp tusks he pulled the sharp teeth out of the skull and took them indoors with rest of the joints. He’d do something with them, something special. His fingers found the one that had injured the cougar, the blood still in the groove of the tusk, that one was Lupa’s. Why he couldn’t say but it was his.

Seeing Marie put the bowl of offal down in the sink she turned to Amber kissing the top of her head and brought her over to him. “Come on dad, time to put our little angel to bed. She’s already past her bedtime.” Plucking Amber off the floor hands still a little sticky and messy her face wrinkled as she caught the scent of the blood.
“Phew daddy, it smells like kitty.” Her comment almost floored him; she’d smelled the difference between the two animals and the different blood on his hands. Smiling through his shock, he just snuggled her closer to him.
“Yes honey, the boar got bitten by an old cougar.” At the mention of the animal, Marie turned to them both, her eyes full of concern. “But he died in the forest, the boar killed him and I killed the boar for us.” She could see the truth he was hiding from Amber and he’d tell her later. Amber just rested her small head against her father’s chest and sighed, snuggling against him as she gave up her fight to stay awake.

Carrying her to her room, heart overflowing with pride that he had such a child as this, smart, confident, mouthy and too intelligent sometimes for her own good. Opening her door with his spare hand he put her straight into bed, her clothes a little dirty from his hands but it didn’t matter. Wrapping her up in her sheets, he took one last look before he closed the door, his thoughts going out to the other child across from her room. Looking at the door he decided to check on him before going downstairs, opening the door quietly he could see Lupa’s form under the blanket. His breathing slow and steady, he was still asleep and he didn’t have the heart to disturb him yet. “Sleep well kid.”

Slowly shutting the door, he wondered what he’d done to deserve all this, a home, a family that loved him, and friends that cared about him and his family. He’d do everything he could to help Lupa, to help him be the person he was supposed to be not what they’d made him. Marie had managed to do it with him if she could do it alone, then as a family they’d do even better. Looking at his hand as it closed the door quietly, he decided he’d better wash up before dinner, especially as they were having a guest. One who he’d be asking a few questions of afterward and he hoped that it wouldn’t change anything between them but the truth often did. Sighing he went into their bedroom and started the shower in their room, finally letting the day’s events flow away with the water that cleaned him.



Broken Promises

Lupa was in his own room when he woke up. The light was almost gone and the day was nearing its end. The clock read 7.50 and he heard footsteps stop outside his door, “Lupa, you awake?” Logan’s voice came through the door.
“Yes Logan.” He pushed up off the bed and took a look at his hands, they’d changed again, and he was halfway between his old shape and the one he’d come home from the school in. His muzzle was smaller making it easier to talk and his body was more compact, his hands were still clawed but not as large. Even his legs seemed to have found a compromise, not fully human but not fully animal. Still furred though and he felt the kinks in it as he moved.

Logan looked at Lupa as he came in and noticed the changes immediately, although Lupa looked much more settled, his eyes calmer. Finding the boys gaze hitting his he came in and sat next to him on his bed. Knowing he found him comforting to be near to. “Hank’s here Lupa.” Lupa looked straight through him and he saw the apprehension go through him and watched as his hackles rose at the back of his neck. “I know how you feel about him Lupa but we need to find out why you reacted to him so badly. There are things we need to know and you have to be there, this is your home Lupa and if it gets too much for you to deal with just come up here. This is your space Lupa, somewhere we have to ask to come into.” The words being spoken reaching deep inside him and he understood the implications. “How long were you at the orphanage?” The question floored him a little and he looked at him strangely, cocking his head to one side.
“I’m not sure, things tended to blur together.”
“Try to remember Lupa, it’s important.” He could see him try to remember things but the dates seemed to run out of his grip. “Okay how about events? Who was the President when you first went there? Or who came into office when you were there?”
“Clinton, he came into office when I’d been there for a few months. The staff were saying maybe they’d get more in their pay packets this time round.” Logan nodded to himself and Lupa caught his eye. “Why?” Logan could see how much it meant to him to know and he struggled with the thought of telling him that he’d been there for nearly 14 years.
“Lupa, you know you’ve been there for a long time don’t you?” Wrapping his arm around the boy and holding him tight to his body. Feeling him lean into his grip and his warmth, scenting his relief at being held. “Well we’ve found out a few things today and I wanted to tell you before we went downstairs.” Lupa found his eyes and saw the trepidation in them shining out to him.
“Go on,” curiosity taking over. Taking a breath Logan began.
“Well we are related, your parents are likely to be grandchildren of mine or from a sibling.” Lupa just took it in. “Also your older than you seem. You age like me, very slowly.” Lupa looked away and he could feel him tense up.
“How old?”
“What Jean could work out you're around twenty, your mutation keeps you from ageing the same as everyone else. Same as me.” He lifted Lupa’s head and saw the pain in there; “It’s okay Lupa I’ve been told you’ll be making up for it soon. Your mutation kind of breaks down your body to remake itself each time you change. Therefore, you need lots of food to do it. That’s why you’ve been the same size for so long, your body didn’t have the strength to grow and change.” Lupa was just sat next to him, his breath a little hitched and his scent a bit confused. “You’re home now Lupa, you can eat when you’re hungry, drink when you’re thirsty without asking permission. Just don’t touch Marie’s chocolate or my beer and we’ll be fine.” The last bit catching his attention and bringing his head up to see the smile covering his face. Logan was all smiles and humour and Lupa was amazed at the difference in him.

He knew without being told that he’d look after him no matter what happened and he trusted him implicitly. Something inside told him that Logan would never hurt him, never ask him to do anything that would cause him harm. They were bonded by something under the skin, in the blood of them both. Lupa’s stomach growled loudly and he held it as Logan laughed. Standing up he patted his shoulder. “Come on lets get some dinner, hope you like liver.” Lupa followed him out of the room, closing his door behind him.
“Never had it.” Logan just looked at him as if he’d just told him the sky was bright yellow.
“Well you’re in for a treat then, no-one cooks liver like Marie. Must be her southern upbringing that makes her so good at making nothing into something a king would kill for.” With that, they both went down the back stairs to the kitchen.

Hank had been sitting watching the fire for nearly an hour when he heard the ceiling creak above him. They were coming down and he could feel the tension rise inside the cabin, it was something he’d always been able to do, read a room or a house just by standing in it for a few seconds. It had saved lives more than once and now he hoped it would save his if Lupa’s reaction were less than positive to him. Keeping his eyes locked on the fire in front of him listening to the whispers of encouragement from Rogue and he could almost feel the eyes of Logan on him.

Smiling to himself as he’d learned how to recognise the weight of his gazes, some happy, some not so and others so full of want he’d never refused them. However, that was a different time and this wasn’t the place to go over the memories either. Lifting his gaze from the fire as he saw Logan come into the room followed by Lupa, the boys face showing his fear of the man waiting for him. Hank was seated in the old sofa, feet propped up in front of the fire, Logan put Lupa in his own chair and sat next to Hank. Making sure he was between them both, just in case. Hank decided to start, “It’s nice to meet your acquaintance at last Lupa,” he didn’t offer a hand he just smiled warmly. The boy looked at Logan and noticed Logan dip his head almost invisibly.
“I know you.” The words were bitten out and his voice was strained, the emotion showing through in his hands movements.
“How do you know me?” Hank kept his tone even and calm, watching as Rogue moved over from the doorway and put her hand on Lupa’s shoulder from behind. Jumping a little he settled again when he recognised who it was.
“Your scent I remember it from the hospital. Where they kept me, where they…” He didn’t finish but he saw his hand find Rogue’s and squeeze it tightly, it was painful for him to remember.
“Do you remember what hospital?” Lupa just shook his head, tears forming in his eyes. He felt Logan’s growl rather than hearing it it was so low. “Do you remember what year?” Lupa just shook his head but Logan answered for him.

“1990-92, around then we think.” His eyes never left Lupa but he knew the information was directed at him. Hank went through his memory, there was only one place he’d been at between those dates, a psychiatric hospital in the Mid West. He’d been finishing his doctorate on mutant psychology; the hospital had been one of the better institutions for the understanding of mutant abilities. They’d even had a few breakthroughs credited to them, one of them being the X-gene itself. The thing that had begun his own research into the mutant problem and his eventual experiment on himself. Clearing his throat, he began.
“I was in the Cedar Rapids Hospital in those years, a small community by any standards but a very advanced psychiatric facility. I was finishing my doctorate on Mutant Psychology there as they had the best information and research in the country at the time.” He could feel Logan gearing up and he caught his scent as it deepened, risking a look at him, Hank saw his eyes were locked onto Rogue’s. Her own face worried and trying to give some support to Lupa, who’d gone quiet.

“What did you do there?” The words were calm but Hank caught the unasked question and the implied threat held within them.
“I just did porting to start with, just taking patients from one room to another, after a couple of months I was given light duties in the wards and allowed to sit in on therapy sessions. My thesis was on the subconscious and it’s effect on the X-gene or mutant abilities. The time I spent there was most useful in helping me to understand the mechanics of the psychological triggers of abilities and how they present themselves.” Logan got up and put himself in front of the fire, turning his back to Hank, face hidden in the mantle.
“So you never saw Lupa?” Hank looked over at the boy in front of him and searched his memory.
“No Logan I didn’t but then I haven’t seen him in his original shape yet.”
“Wait a moment Hank.” He watched Rogue squeeze Lupa’s hand and then go to the dresser near the kitchen door. She came back with a plain manila file and handed it to him.
“Thank you Rogue.” Taking the file, he opened it and felt his breath catch in his throat as he looked at the face staring back at him. She didn’t notice and Lupa was still reaching out for her when Logan turned round and caught the look passing over Hank’s face.
“What?” Hank closed the file and put it down by the side of him, his eyes finding Lupa’s and feeling the tears spill over his face as he remembered who he was, what he was and what he’d promised himself. “Hank what is it?!” Logan was barely holding onto his temper as he realised Hank knew something, he’d done something to Lupa and he wanted to know now. “HANK!” The shout snapped him out of the memory replaying in his head; he’d have to tell them. No matter what they thought of him afterward, Lupa deserved to know the truth.

“It was the early 90’s and the existence of mutants was still a novelty to the medical community. So some institutes were allowing families to bring in their children for testing. To gauge their abilities, their genetics. As you know not every place that did this research was forward thinking and that’s how I know Lupa. He was bought by the research facility at the hospital.” Looking at Logan’s back he could see the muscles tensing and relaxing in time to his breathing. “Not everyone knew about the ward but I was doing porting and I was asked to collect patients from all over the complex and I was asked to go and collect a test subject. I just picked him up and wheeled him away to the car that was waiting for him. I didn’t know who he was Logan I swear, it was something I did everyday but I did do something afterward.” Logan turned to look at him and he saw the hatred burning in his eyes, as bright as the fire in front of him. “When I moved him off the gurney I could see the marks on him, the scar tissue. I stole his wrist id. When he’d left, I looked into the records; no one stopped me or asked me what I was doing. I had computer privileges since I was doing my doctorate and I found his file.” His hand rested on the small manila file next to him. “There’s nothing I can add to the information you have here but it’s enough to say they weren’t interested in Lupa’s well being.” Lupa was crying openly now and Marie was wrapped around his frame, stroking his fur. “I brought it up to the board Logan, I did as much as I could at the time. They were going to throw me out on my ear if I made any more waves about the private research going on in the hospital.” Hank could feel the air change round him as he continued. “So I stopped and just kept my head down. I needed to finish my doctorate and get their reference for my research proposal I was working on. I never forgot him Logan, his face was always with me, whenever I found something I couldn’t handle his face would come back to me, just looking straight up off that gurney.” Hank’s voice had lowered and he felt the tension in the air. “I think I’d better go.” Pushing up off the sofa, he made his way to the door, his hand reaching out to the handle when Lupa’s voice stopped him.

“You helped me didn’t you?” Turning to face them all he shook his head slowly.
“No Lupa, I could have done more and I should have. I was too concerned with my own needs to see anyone else’s.” Pulling the door open he made to go through it when Logan spoke.
“Hank.”
“What Logan?” He felt tired and worn, his own past coming back to haunt him now, reminding him of a time when he’d been more on the side of the mutant haters than one of the carers.
“Dinners getting cold.” He listened to his footsteps as he went into the kitchen, hearing Lupa get up and follow him on soft feet. Rogue walked toward him putting a hand on his fur.
“Hank,” he turned allowing her to see the tears and pain in his eyes. “All that matters is that he’s here now with us and you did try something. We’ve all changed over the years, don’t forget that.” She grabbed his hand and shut the door on the night outside. “Come on, I want to taste that cheesecake you brought.” Smiling he allowed her to take him to the kitchen.
“It’s a Mocha-Chocolate. Double whipped.” Rogue just smiled as the thought of the dessert to come entered her mind.
“Well if we don’t finish it tonight I’d better keep it out of Amber’s reach, you know her and coffee.” The memory of Amber on caffeine running through his mind, making him smile, she’d run them all ragged for three hours, destroying a swing set in the process.
Seeing the others already eating he allowed Rogue to seat him next to Logan and Lupa, putting herself across from Hank. Looking at the two already eating she sniffed, “Well there’s no manners in this house.” Lupa grunted mouth full of liver and vegetables. Logan answered.
“If I want leftovers I’ll get it out of the fridge, meat should be warm when you eat it.” Looking up he found Lupa’s gaze and he winked at him, making him snort as he ate. His gaze moving to Hank and piercing him through with it’s intensity. The conversation wasn’t finished but it was enough for now, Lupa was safe and he wasn’t afraid of him anymore. That’s all that mattered right now.

Dinner was quickly over and Lupa had gone to bed before the strike of ten, his body tired and worn from all the things that had happened to him in the day. Marie had gone upstairs with him, settling him down and returning after she knew he was asleep.
Leaving Hank and Logan sharing a drink at the kitchen table, the dishes still sitting in the sink. The silence had been building since Marie had gone to help Lupa and now it had reached the level of communication. Where words were no longer needed, only body language and scent mattered.
Hank knew Logan was seething underneath, his tense jaw spoke volumes and the deep musky scent he was picking up was rich with threat. Yet over the last three years Logan had seen him bend over backward to help Xavier reach into the world of medical experimentation. To stop the suffering caused by facilities who either knew little or cared little about the mutants in their care. It was hard for him to rationalise Hanks involvement in Lupa’s life, that he’d known and yet had done nothing to save him.

Yet the incident with Lupa had saved Hank, it had forced him to look at the price of research. When he’d developed the serum that had turned him into the blue furred man everyone accepted at Xavier’s he could have tested it on an unknown mutant. He hadn’t, he’d tested it on himself and had become the pariah of the medical world. Meeting Logan’s gaze Hank spoke in the quiet air. “He changed my life Logan, without him I wouldn’t be here or like this.” Hank watched as Logan worked it out in his head, he could sense his thoughts passing and the trail they led him down. They’d shared a sense of trust, which over the years had been strengthened by events but this had shaken Logan’s belief in him. If the truth meant he’d lose that trust then it was something Hank was willing to risk for Lupa’s sake.
Marie came down the stairs and sat in Logan’s lap his eyes never leaving Hanks as she settled herself on him. Her voice light as she addressed them both. “Well then is it a throw down fight or are you two going to talk about it?” Logan snapped his eyes to hers and she could see how much effort it was taking him to be silent. Her hand touched his face, watching as he relaxed into her warmth, arms wrapping around her waist and pulling her close to him. Hank almost cheered when he heard the deep sigh come from Logan, releasing some of his tension.

“What happened to the facility Hank? Is it still there?” His eyes on Marie as he spoke, knowing that if he told him it was he’d be going there at first light.
“As far as I’m aware yes it’s still there, but Logan the research department was closed a year after I left. All the evidence went with them, it was a private company after all.” The gaze Logan turned to him was full of ice and knives.
“So what’s the name?”
“Of the company?” He just nodded; Hank searched his memory until the image of the name swam into focus. “Gen-Techa.” Marie’s head almost spun as she heard the name her face becoming pale. Logan noticed and got her attention.
“What?” She didn’t answer him, only going over to the telephone, putting it down almost immediately. Watching her concentrate instead, when she’d finished she turned to the both of them. Her face pale as she went into her bag on the small table, pulling out a small shiny key ring. Holding it up to the light Hank could see the insignia from where he was, it was Gen-Techa.

“They’re the one’s who wanted the training course Logan. I was with them today.” She looked at the key ring and threw it into the fire as if it was a piece of dirt. “They approached the school about the problems teaching mutants with emotional triggers. The best ways of helping them and helping the teachers to control classroom situations when things get out of hand.” She turned to Hank, “You’re absolutely positive it was them? Could they have changed name or could someone have taken their name?”
“I’m not sure but I doubt it. The insignia is the same as the ones I saw in the hospital.” Logan was quiet all throughout the exchange, his mind working out what they could want and why.
“What did you teach today?” His voice even and level taking them both by surprise.
“I was just starting on relaxation techniques for the staff, you know centering the self before you start work.” Logan nodded.
“What type were they?”
“What the students?” Logan just looked at her; “Well they were your average class I suppose. A bit older than normal but if it’s a research agency then you get more older people.”
“Any mutants?”
“Yes a couple, both Empathic.” Hank looked at Logan and Logan returned the look with a scowl.
“Why send a couple of Empath’s to a class on mutant student control methods? I thought Empath’s could pick up trouble before it started, look at Claire we have here. She knows when the kids are about to go off on one and she deals with it before it happens.” She thought this through before answering.
“Not every empath is the same Logan, they have different skills and levels of control.” His eyes met hers and she finally understood what he was getting at, the knowledge that she had been set up chilled her to the bone. He watched as her gaze hardened, filling it with steel as she realised. “They set me up.”

Hank watched as they both leapt to conclusions, it wasn’t written in stone that Gen-Techa was after anything but the training they’d asked and paid for.
“Wait a moment both of you, what if they don’t have an ulterior motive? What if they just wanted to have their staff trained to deal with mutant children who were finding their gifts difficult to control? As we know there are several institutes now like Xavier’s, perhaps they’re trying to set up one?” Logan caught his eye, voice low and quiet it’s depth not lost on Hank.
“Yeah well that may be the case Hank but I’m not going to risk Amber or Lupa on that chance. There’s been too many things happen to us over the years for me not to be suspicious. Look at what they did to your research Hank while you were doing it.” A pained look crossed his face as he realised that Logan was only trying to protect his family. “No not again, the kids here need protecting and that’s my job. I’m going to have a look at this place tonight. Whether Xavier believes it or not.” Pushing out of his chair, he crossed the kitchen quickly, grabbing Marie. “Stay here with the kids, I need you to lock the house down. Hank you coming?”

A smile flitted across Hanks face, one that never reached his eyes and sent a shiver through Marie.
“Wouldn’t miss it for the world, after all I’d love to see what their research came up with. Hopefully something I can use against them in court.” He managed to catch the comment from Logan as he passed them both.
“That’s if they make it out alive.” Realising how much was at stake for Logan here, if they’d managed to fool Xavier they might know more about the school and it’s residents then any of them realised. All the children were at risk, including Amber. God help the man who gets between Logan and his family, they’d need more than gods help to get away from him. Marie let Logan go.
“Go and see Xavier first, he’ll be waiting for you downstairs.” She followed them down to the front door. “Be careful Logan,” seeing the concern in her eyes and hearing her unspoken love for him in her movements.
“I will.” She knew he had to find out if they were at risk, his family came first and that included the children at Xavier’s. Kissing her lips quickly he left with Hank, watching the two of them disappear into the forest as she locked the door and set the security going. Nothing could approach now without being seen, heard and filmed.

Feeling a little more secure Marie finished tidying the kitchen, wishing that Logan would for once do the dishes when guests were there. He did them normally but flatly refused to when anyone else was there, as if seeing him with his hands in a sink would make him less manly in their eyes. Smiling at the memory of coming down one morning to find him stark naked in front of the sink doing the dishes. He’d wanted to use the sink he’d said and didn’t want to empty it just to pile it back up again. She’d seen through his lie and had just hugged him tightly as he’d finished up, what had come later had meant he’d had to re-enforce the sink on the wall but it had been worth the extra work. Marie found herself wondering how she could’ve been so stupid not to have seen what Logan had pointed out to her. But she’d been distracted by Lupa and the clearance by Xavier, if they’d managed to get to Xavier she doubted if they’d find anything that they could use in open court. Although not every piece of justice came through legal means, especially when her husband was around.

Gen-Techa

They reached the mansion in record time, Hank was running flat out and was managing to keep just ahead of Logan, a feat he was proud of. Usually it was the other way round, Hank having to bring up the rear but tonight it was as if he was trying to get to the truth first. To get the meat of it between his own teeth, to see exactly what they were doing and if they were doing anything illegal he’d find it easy to forget he was human.

Running straight inside the large foyer he saw Xavier stood with Scott, talking about the security of the school. They were discussing the children and if it were prudent to move the field trip forward so if Gen-Techa had anything planned, it would be a moot point seeing as most of the students would be away. Noticing the two of them Xavier just gave them a tight smile, his eyes speaking volumes as his gaze met theirs. “Ah there you are, if you’d be quick to suit up I’ll get working on the other things we might not know about.” Dismissed they both went down to the lower levels, each one wondering what they’d find down at Gen-Techa. Logan wondering if their files were as detailed as he hoped they would be and Hank hoping that he hadn’t made a mistake by keeping his mouth shut for so long about them.

If they had records, detailed records he might be able to find more family and in doing so find out more about himself. Where he came from, who he was, what he was, Lupa had given Logan some clues to his own family line but it was confusing to say the least. At least all he had to do was deal with the facts if he found them, Hank had to deal with the fact that he knew about these guys and couldn’t do anything about them until now. When something like this resurfaced there were usually two reasons, one they had enough private money behind them to go public again or two they were being bankrolled by government and they wanted more info on the growing mutant community. What better than a group trying to help youngsters? Empath’s who could bend their young minds to their way of thinking, to use your talents how they wanted you to. Images of his own past flooded into his mind and Logan felt his jaws snap together, making Hank shoot a look his way. Understanding the tensions without being told, he knew how much he had at stake here and how far he’d go to stop any threat from harming it. The blackbird was warmed up, ready for them both, Scott was piloting with Ororo, and they left the security of home for the uncertainty ahead.