Author's Chapter Notes:
This little story was part of a bigger story arc that I'l be hopefully putting out there in a different archive (seeing as it strays quite a bit from Marie and Logan) but I've included the family piece here so you can have a read of it. Hope you like the vision I have for them, family is about caring for those you live with and Logan gets more than he bargained for.
No one noticed the small kid sat in the garden, just watching, waiting for someone to pay attention. Someone to notice the dark rings under the brilliant blue eyes that looked like sea ice but there were so many others just as needy, just as alone here in the orphanage. His name was his own, Lupa. He couldn’t remember his real one the one he’d heard only a few times before the world had come crashing down on him.

Now he spent his time watching the other kids, just watching as they played, ran around, jumped and had fun. He couldn’t let himself do that, bad things had happened when he did before so they didn’t play with him anymore. Lupa always played alone, always sat alone, always ate alone, and even slept alone in a dorm all to himself with only the spiders to keep him company. The teachers were nice to him, he was treated well but when the people came to look at children, he was pushed outside into the garden as he was now.

His eyes caught the two figures walking toward him but he didn’t pay any attention to them, they weren’t here for him they’d come for someone else.
“Here he is, Lupa, Lupa lift your head up there’s someone here to see you.” Lifting his eyes from the ants he’d been studying his eyes met a face that made him wonder if he was still alive. Her hair was deep chestnut and had a white streak straight through, her eyes were bright green and looked right through him. When she spoke her voice was soft, smooth like honey.
“Lupa? Your name is Lupa, do you have another name, a last name?” Lupa just shook his small head as he took in everything about her, her hair, her clothes, and the smile that warmed her eyes. “Well Lupa, we’ve come to give you a home with us. That is if you want to.” Her hand was held out to him, he could see the whorls and patterns on her skin as if he was burning every single image to his mind, hoping that it wasn't a dream. Slowly he raised his hand to hers and felt her skin tingle against his as she gripped his hand tightly. Turning to the woman who held his hand tightly he watched her speak to the headmaster.

“How old is Lupa?” Watching as she listened and carefully weighed up everything he told her.
“As far as we know he’s just around twelve now, the family were killed in a fire and as far as we know he has no other relatives. He’s been with us for around six years now.” He felt her stiffen as the amount of time sank in and he almost let go of the hand in his when she gripped him even tighter.
“Six years. Any reason why he’s been here this long?” He could see the headmaster struggling with the hope of getting him a home and telling the truth about him.
“Lupa has some special problems, we can talk about them inside if you’d like to,” he looked at Lupa in the eye and he saw the shame burn in them. He hung his head down as they walked over to the orphanage; he pulled his hand out of hers and just stood outside the front doors. She turned and looked at him for a moment, her face unreadable from where he stood. Filled with grief he just stood and cried silently making his way back to his seat in the garden.

Marie watched Lupa walk away, the tears already flowing down his thin face; the brilliant blue clouded by their tracks. Turning to the headmaster in front of her, she followed him to his small office.
Looking around the small crowded space, her eyes met several pictures of children with new families but none held Lupa’s face smiling back out of the frame.
“Lupa has a condition that makes it difficult for him to live with other people, we have had to give him a dorm to himself. He gets rather agitated you see and he can have temper tantrums that are quite destructive.” Marie calmly listened to the headmaster thoroughly expecting her to give up on Lupa, he explained that once the adoption papers had been processed that she would be his guardian and as such, she had the responsibility for him. Calmly she levelled her gaze at him and saw his nerves twitch.

“Mr. Greenock, I understand fully what your saying but there’s nothing to stop Lupa from coming to live with me.” Playing with her wedding ring watching as it caught the light, sparkling in the drab room, a point of light in darkness. “I have my papers all ready for you to sign, everything is in order, all you need to do Mr Greenock is to allow me to take him with me.” She held his gaze and smiled inwardly as he dropped his eyes first, looking at the papers on his desk. Picking up his pen he quickly signed them, checking everything over he stood up and held out his hand to her. “I hope you’ll be happy with Lupa, your husband is he around? Wouldn’t he like to meet Lupa?” Smiling Marie answered.
“He’s meeting him right now Mr. Greenock. Now lets go get him packed yes?” Smiling and reassuring him that he was actually leaving with them, that Lupa was leaving his care at last. As they passed the front door, she caught the sight of Logan’s bike parked next to her car; she could still smell the heat from it from here. Smiling she allowed herself to be led up to the attic where Lupa’s possessions were. Wishing she could be outside to witness their first meeting, wondering which one would freak first. Smiling inside she hoped it would be Logan.

He’d rounded the corner, head down not looking where he was going and ran right into someone. Someone solid and he landed on his backside, tears making his eyes blurry he saw the bulk of someone standing over him, tall and threatening. Instinctually he cowered a little to the ground, hiding his eyes as he mumbled his apology. Shuffling backward he tried to move out of reach but didn’t make it, strong hands picked him up and moved him round into the light. Lifting his head upto the light and scrutinising him, his own eyes catching a leather jacket and a red plaid shirt but his nose catching a scent that pulled deep down into his depths. Snapping his eyes upward he met the mans gaze, his own ice blue meeting the warm hazel looking back at him, searching and understanding everything in one glance. Lupa felt his muscles relax as he stood there locked into the gaze that was weighing him up, evaluating him. The large hand brushed him down and moved over his head, cradling it feeling the weight of it through the skin.

Breaking the gaze Lupa felt drawn to the hand, the fingers or rather the knuckles and just stared at the skin in between. There was something he knew, he understood something but it was just out of reach. His own skin itching, prickling, the knawing pain beginning to burn through his body. Lupa’s eyes shot wide as he realised what was happening, pushing away from the comforting hand he ran. Ran into the gardens and away from the man who smelled like him, away from the home he’d known for most of his life. Feeling the tears fall from his eyes as the pain became too much for him to keep silent anymore, just running. Away from the others, from the eyes of the headmaster who hated him for being different, from everyone but what hurt the most was that the lady with the green eyes wouldn’t want him, not now. Not like this.

He’d been late, Marie would have some words to say to him later but he’d been going over some stuff with Bobby about the kid. He’d found him after a few months of research, a relative, distant but a relative. Pulling the bike over next to Marie’s car, he saw the looks of disapproval as he climbed off the bike and stretched himself. The clean-cut personalities were showing downright hostility to him and his world; little did they know that his world was what kept them safe at night. Not seeing Marie he went for a walk round the grounds, she’d find him eventually and they’d all go home together.
He’d just been about to try and find her when he’d been walked into, the kid fell awkwardly, his attention having been on his feet and not where he’d been going. Reaching out to the kid, he caught a glimpse of him. The shock of seeing ice blue eyes and dark hair ripping through him. The kid backed away from him, the scent of fear blooming, making the air rank. Grabbing hold of the kid before he could shuffle away he helped him up, thin scrawny almost not much more than 4ft in height the kid just stood there. Eyes downcast, tear tracks visible across his face, without even having to ask he knew this was Lupa.

Lupa.

When he’d heard the name of the kid had something had rung inside, a piece of understanding that he didn’t know he’d learned, something deep inside himself, something he knew with his blood. And here he was stood in front of him, slight, small but muscular, dark hair cut short but thick across his head. Lifting his face upto the sunlight his eyes caught Lupa’s and held them. Bright blues, like icebergs in the arctic and just as deep. Breathing in the boys scent he found an undertone, something else, something hidden. Finding his eyes telling him all he needed to know, what he was, who he was, and knowing who he was too.
The boys eyes left his and focussed on the hand he’d put on him, that had brushed him down and lifted his head up. Watching as his eyes had settled on his knuckles and knowing that he knew what was under there, could feel the metal waiting just under the skin.
Lupa’s scent spiked and he could feel the pain coursing through him, and then he was away running as fast as his legs could carry him. Out into the gardens and beyond, away from him, away from the only person who could help him understand what he was. Snarling at the thought of the kid being here for so long, so unwanted, so hurt, he took off after him, not understanding what he was doing but knowing he couldn’t leave him to face life alone, not anymore.

Feeling a little breathless after the long climb up to Lupa’s room the headmaster just unlocked the door and swung it open. The room was destroyed, the bed was shredded, the solid wooden frame broken into splinters, the walls scored with claw marks. Marie felt the breath halt in her throat as she took in the damage, walking into the room she could feel the rage in the air, the suffering the pain. Turning to the headmaster, who was just stood there looking at the walls his fingers touching the deep grooves in the plaster. “Was it like this last time you were up here?” Her voice had a cold edge to it, which he didn’t notice.
“The bed had been replaced last month, we really don’t have the budget to replace it again.” Looking around the room, she could see the damage everywhere everything destroyed, everything but a small area of space. Walking over she bent down and sifted through the curled mass of blankets, looking at the small bed he’d made for himself. A few pieces of food, a book with pictures of animals in, open at a picture of pack of wolves hunting across snow.

Snapping the book shut Marie stood up and tried to keep her composure, tried to push the feelings down that were bubbling to the surface. That they’d locked him in up here, away from everyone else because he was a mutant, because he couldn’t control his powers yet. Well he was coming with them, somewhere safe, somewhere where they wouldn’t mind what he did, wouldn’t care if he smashed up a few things. Picking out his clothes from a pile of ripped cloth she stuffed them into a blanket and handed them to the headmaster. His face almost white as they left the room, mentally replacing the word with ‘cell’ as she went down stairs and watched the other prospective families looking over the assorted children. Picking out their new addition to the family, something that would compliment their lifestyle, just like a new car. Trying to keep the bitterness out of her tone she spoke, “Could we have his medical records please? We’ll need them for our doctor, I was told you keep them here?”

He couldn’t get away fast enough, leaving her with the small bundle in her hands, her fingers already going through the thin blanket. Keeping her breathing steady as he returned with the files, smiling as she took them and walked out of the front door. Feeling clean only when she was out of the shadow of the place, opening the car and putting the blanket inside she looked around for them both. Not seeing them she reached out with her mind for Logan, using the link she had with him, the shared piece of self they both carried within themselves. What she saw made her pale and grabbing the blanket again quickly ran toward the back of the gardens.

The pain was too much to bear, everything was hurting, his nerves were on fire, skin stretched and tore, bones moved and reformed. Hair grew and prickled his skin, making it ripple as the fibres grew quickly. Snarling in the clear air hearing the movements of someone the thinking part of his mind gone, he lunged out at the sound. Feeling the solid thump of a body falling with him, his hands raking the body he held under him, feeling the flesh tear open and blood filling the air around him. Frustrated and confused he just screamed out into the body under him and fell into a world of pain.

He’d followed him as good as he could, the kid knew the territory and he didn’t but his scent lit the path like a beacon. It changed as it moved across the ground, from a child’s to a deeper note, musky, animal, not that different from his own. Letting his own animal free he followed the sounds of the boy to a small copse, searching the undergrowth for him Lupa found him first. A blur of black and pink flew out of the brush and slammed into him, the weight of it knocking some of the air out of him. Feeling the tear of claws across his stomach and the sight of Lupa’s face half formed into something else. Knowing instinctually just to hold onto him as he tried to rake him again, pulling the boy closer into him as he screamed out in pain and was still. The body losing all fight, the muscle sliding back to normal as he watched the bones reknit into their original shapes, seeing the small form twitch and be pulled around by the struggle going on under his skin. Wiping the blood away from his own midriff as the wounds healed up, the ragged edges reminding him of the wounds he’d received fighting Sabretooth. Feeling Marie coming, he pulled the boy upright, the weight easily carried. Meeting her eyes as they met and wrapped the blanket around Lupa, she looked at the blood on his shirt and he just shook his head. Smiling a tight smile, her fingers touched his face as he carried him back to the car.

As they reached the car, a small group stood near the front doors, prospective parents and young children all quietly watching the strange group in front of them. The headmaster half hidden behind others he spoke his voice echoing out over the stillness of the afternoon. “He’s your responsibility now. You’ve signed the papers and he’s yours legally, there’s no longer a place for him here.” Marie saw Logan’s stance freeze and the air around him grew dark with unresolved violence. He wanted to hurt them, wanted to show them the depth of his contempt for them and their perfect little world where children were perfect little angels. Where they didn’t have problems, didn’t have gifts that made them different, didn’t have eyes that could read your heart with a glance and make you understand why you weren’t worth the effort. Marie touched his shoulder and his head snapped round, eyes burning with anger. She just shook her head and opened the car door for him. Putting Lupa in the back of the car and making him comfortable she left Logan and walked upto the headmaster.

Calmly and coolly the crowd dispersing naturally as she approached him, her eyes piercing him through as he became open to her. “You’d better hope that I never tell my husband where you had him locked up for most of the day Mr Greenock. You really wouldn’t like to see my husband, alone.” She let the information slide into the man in front of her and looked back at Logan knowing that he could hear every word she was saying. “Believe me Mr Greenock we know what we’re doing and what we’re getting into with Lupa. Where he’s going he’ll be able to be himself without the fear you’ve bred and beaten into him.” She noticed the guilt as it ran across his face, how had she known? The smile she showed him never reached her eyes but the threat implied in her words was clear.

“If I ever hear of it again Mr Greenock and believe me I will if it happens I’ll just tell my husband to come visit. Catch up with you and give you an update on how Lupa is doing.” She moved out of the way so he could see Logan stood against his bike, eyes watching every move he made, knowing that he could cover the distance between them in a heartbeat. Moving in a little closer, she decided to leave him something to make him sweat at night. “You know when you said Lupa didn’t have any relatives? You were wrong.” She moved out of his sight line and Logan was about five feet away, all barely restrained violence and threat. His eyes burning holes in the man’s soul, imprinting him as prey into his mind. “Sleep well Mr Greenock. I know Lupa will.” Logan took her hand as they walked away to their vehicles, squeezing her hand tightly he just growled. “I know honey I know, but we have to get him home and settled in. Besides, it’s not as if we don’t already have someone waiting back at home to be fed. I’m sure Ro’ must be bored of babysitting duty by now.”

Looking at Marie he pulled her close and hugged her tightly, she hadn’t complained when he’d found out about Lupa. That he’d wanted to bring him to the cabin their home, live with their child, be part of their family. She knew how much it meant to him, to have this link, to the family he knew he had to have somewhere. Wiping away a little tear from his eye, she hugged him and climbed into the car, turning the engine over into life she pulled away. Leaving him with the bike and the headmaster trying to avoid his gaze trying to regain his composure but he knew he’d be back. Not this year, maybe not next but he’d be back with Lupa when he was ready. Starting the engine and feeling the vibration soothe his nerves; he sped away from the orphanage, leaving the taste of death behind him.

The journey toward home was quiet, Lupa woke after a couple of hours, his skin sheened in sweat and a dazed look in his eyes. Taking a quick look in her mirror, she saw Logan following not far behind, sending a thought of food out to him she saw his hand raise in acknowledgement. They’d stop at the next restaurant they could. Ten minutes later they were pulling into an old roadside diner, its paint scuffed and weathered, the trucks in the car park mixed with family cars. As she got out of the car, a sign almost made her get back into the car and find somewhere else. ‘NO MUTANTS WELCOME’ shone out from a white and blue placard. They’d been cropping up increasingly but they needed to eat and she wouldn’t be put off by someone’s view. Lupa just looked out of the window of the car and didn’t move, he made no effort to look at the building, his eyes were drawn to the fields either side of it. Hunched and small he’d managed to dress himself in a hooded sweatshirt with a faded band logo on it. Opening the door for him, Marie just stood to one side waiting for him to notice her.

Hearing Logan’s bike pull up she turned to see him switch off the engine and stretch his back. Leaving the door open she went over and gave him a hug, still feeling the rage burning through him she decided to warn him first. “The F.O.H have been here hon, one of their signs is next to the front door. Just thought I’d warn ya.” She kissed him quickly and turned back to the car door. Lupa was still sat in there, curled up in a ball, knees tucked under his chin. Reaching inside she touched his shoulder. His eyes met hers, the fear evident in them, he was alone, away from where he was used to and now they were going inside somewhere where he wasn’t welcome. “Lupa, come on honey we have to get something to eat or we’re not going to make it home.” His eyes swung to the sign and back to her own, she turned and looked at the placard. “Ignore it Lupa, it’s for stupid people who don’t understand that everyone is a mutant, we’re all different and that makes us a mutant from the next person. Besides we have Logan.”

She moved a little so he could see him behind her, watching him as his eyes were scanning the car park looking for threats weighing up the possibilities. Gaining confidence he shuffled out of the seat and held out his hand to her to hold. Smiling Marie gripped it and shut the car door, central locking the whole thing with a beep. Slapping Logan on the rear as she passed him, “Come on lets get you guys some food before you start hunting for your own. I wonder if they have pie?” Hearing a slight chuff from Logan she just laughed and looked down at Lupa, a nervous smile was etched on his lips as they entered the diner.

Half an hour later there were plates stacked on their small table. Lupa managing to eat everything that was put in front of him even managing to swipe a piece of food from Logan’s own plate. Marie having to hold in her giggles as Logan noticed and watched as Lupa stuffed the food in quickly, in an attempt to hide the crime. Growling softly, he guarded the rest of his dinner, Lupa copying him. Darkness was softening the sky and Lupa seemed to relax a little, dropping his shoulders, opening up a little more he met their gazes with his own. Marie broke the silence first. “Well we should get home around 10 if we just drive, if we have to stop it’ll be about 12 before we get in. So I think we’d better just fuel up, get rested and go. I’ve got to get that training program started tomorrow Logan and Amber needs that new playpen building, the last one wasn’t strong enough, she kicked her way out of it.” Logan smiled at the image of his baby daughter kicking her way out of her playpen, the one he’d built from solid lumber. He met Marie’s gaze and smiled. “I’ll make something more substantial this time, something she can’t destroy so easily.”
“You said that about the cradle and look what she ended up sleeping in.” They both remembered the sight of their daughter sleeping in an old metal munitions box, her feet would dent the end but at least she couldn’t destroy it. Her powers tended to be erratic, one moment she seemed a very normal toddler, the next she was crushing something in her hands. It had made life very interesting for them.

Lupa put down his fork and just sat there, his eyes downcast, it took a second for him to realise that they had a child already. So why did they want him? Why was he going with them? If they already had a family why was he around? Tears began to flow from his eyes and landed on the now empty plate in front of him, his stomach churning the food in there. Keeping his head lowered as they moved and paid for the food, he wasn’t going to make it any worse. He was just going to sit in the car and see what happened. Logan looked at him and his gaze went right through him, Lupa knew he could tell what he was thinking, what he was feeling and he saw his face tighten as they walked out of the diner. He felt Logan’s hand on his shoulder hold him still as they left. Turning to him in the light from the diner Logan could see the whole of Lupa there in his eyes.
“You’re MY family too Lupa. It took us a while to find you but you’re part of it and we’re not going to leave you behind. Amber is our daughter and we love her dearly but you are part of that family now. No-one is above anyone else Lupa, remember that.” Feeling the food in his stomach settle again he turned to see the lady stood there with her arms open just waiting for him. Looking once at Logan, he ran over and was held for the first time in years. Tears running freely from him, washing the pain from his insides. Listening to her voice as she soothed him and spoke to him.

“Oh Lupa honey, you’re part of our family now. Yes we have Amber but you’re just as important to us. I’m just sorry it took us so long to find you, life wasn’t so good there was it?” He looked up into her open eyes and the tears that glittered in the corners of them. He just shook his head and buried his face in her side, feeling the warmth coming from her just relaxing into it. Scenting Logan as he wrapped himself around them both, his solidity making them both feel safe. Standing under the darkening sky, watching as the stars came out, all of them silently giving thanks that they were together.


It was 11.30pm by the time they got home, the lights were on in the kitchen and they walked up the path toward it. Lupa being held close to Marie’s side as they walked, Logan bringing up the rear carrying the few possessions that Lupa had. Looking through them, he found a small photograph of Lupa as a baby being held by his parents. Studying the picture, he couldn’t find any clues from it, but maybe Lupa could tell him something about them. Looking at the pair of them in front of him he felt his heart pull, his past and future together wrapped up neatly in a little family. Hoping that they all could cope with what he’d seen back at the orphanage.

A piercing shriek met their ears as they entered the kitchen and a very stressed out Ororo met them with a very active and wriggling Amber. Almost flinging herself out of her arms and into Marie’s, the young toddler grabbing Marie’s hair and playfully pulling. “Hey Amber, yes I know honey we’re home. Look here’s your brother Lupa, you remember Lupa? When we talked about a new brother?” The little girls eyes focussed on the boy who was holding onto her mother, a huge grin erupted from her face and she flung herself into him. Her arms and legs wrapping round the small boy, “LUPA!” her voice almost shrill as she clung to the small frame. Her hands exploring his hair, her eyes met his and she stopped.

Calming down completely and just looking at him, looking through and into him her little face smiling as she processed the information about him she was picking up from her senses. About to form the words she wanted to say when they were forgotten as Logan walked in through the door. Struggling to be free, she was lowered to the floor and toddled over as fast as she could to him. “Daddy!” putting the meagre possessions down on the kitchen surface he turned to Amber, looking at her dark hair and eyes. A blend of her parents, her mothers eyes and mouth, his stocky frame and dark hair. Watching as her fingers dug into his trousers begging to be picked up, bending down to her level he just growled at her. Making the rumble go through her small frame, listening to the laugh it always elicited from her. Holding his arms out to her, she buried herself in their comfort, snuggling down into his shirt and smelling blood. Her head snapped up to meet his face, “Daddy have a boo-boo?” Smiling at her concern he picked her up and held her close to him as he answered. “No Amber, Daddy’s fine.” Looking across the room to Lupa, he noticed the young boy hung his head down at the mention of the incident. Looking over to Marie, he caught her talking to Ororo about the sleeping arrangements for the night. They were planning to leave Lupa in the school tonight. Not a good idea in his book, he knew what Lupa would think and decided to put his opinion forward.

“It’s not a good idea Marie, Lupa’s going to be staying with us tonight.” Juggling Amber in one arm he looked at her sleepy face and turned back to them. “Amber can bed down here for the night, you know she gets cranky when we move her around too much. She’s been here for a night already and it won’t hurt her.” He could see the sense of his words sinking in and Marie nodded.
“Okay but your going to come and get her tomorrow. I can’t I’ve too much to do already.” Turning to Ororo Marie spoke, “Is that okay with you? Can she stay in the nursery again?” Ororo walked over to Amber, pulled the sleepy child from her father’s arms and heard the shirt tear. Amber was holding the button side of the shirt like a comforter, rubbing it against her face and falling asleep. Stifling a laugh, she just walked away with her out of the kitchen and up to bed. “See you in the morning Ro’.” Marie was openly laughing now as Logan tried to salvage something of the shirt; even Lupa found the sight amusing. His eyes met his and he spoke, “Yeah she can be a little hard on clothing, so if you want to keep it, keep her hands off it.” Sighing he just pulled his jacket closed and made for the door, “You coming?”
“Yeah Logan I’ll be along in bit I’ve just got to go talk to Xavier for a while. Something I want him to be aware of.” Her eyes swept over Lupa and back to his, he understood her meaning, walking over to Lupa putting his hands on his shoulders. “Come on Lupa, let’s go home.”

The cabin was set back in the trees, although it was hidden from the path the people in the cabin could see anyone on the path from any point. Climbing through the underbrush Logan took the short cut upto his front door, noting that Lupa was following his every footstep. He was moving easily through the terrain, breathing steadily, his scent calm and even. A breeze brought a familiar scent to his nose and he froze on the slope, his hand reaching out behind him and catching Lupa mid step. Lupa didn’t make a sound as they both stood still, senses open and scanning the underbrush. The summer foliage hiding lots of noises and forms from their gaze. Then it appeared in front of them, standing upwind of them, a deer. Looking so fragile on its small feet it crossed their path slowly and sure footed on the slope. Turning his head to look at Lupa he saw the boy follow every movement it made, nose held out scenting the air around it. He made no sound, his body relaxed and his eyes wide in the almost darkness. Knowing he could see the deer, smell it, sense it as completely as he could. Then it was gone, eaten up again by the darkness of the forest that surrounded them. Tapping Lupa lightly, they resumed their journey to the cabin.

Opening the door with a swipe card, he quickly punched the alarm code into the wall and the little red light next to the door stopped flashing. Flicking on the lights the room was revealed, comfortable old sofa’s sat across from each other a skin rug in between. The walls were decorated with simple art pieces, some native some foreign, the fireplace yawned emptily, a few photographs stood on top of the rugged mantle. Lupa stood just inside the door, holding his bundle close to his chest, his breath a little quick, eyes scanning everywhere, unsure what to do. Logan picked up his unease.
“Sit down Lupa, it’s okay I’m not going to bite you. This is your home now, relax a little.” He moved to the fireplace and began pulling out kindling and paper from the bin next to the fireplace. He could feel Lupa’s eyes watching his every movement. “Nights get cold up here even in summer. We always have a fire here, you're going to need to know how to do this so why don’t you come and help?”

The house was warm. It felt lived in, welcoming; their smells were everywhere. He could feel the air in the house moving through him, calming his nerves, soothing them. The beams above his head reminding him of his old home in the orphanage, but here they were painted golden with light, not dark and forbidding, not bars to hold him in. Making his way slowly to the sofa nearest the fireplace he watched as Logan tore paper, twisted it and piled it in the fireplace, building a small pyramid of kindling around it. Logan watched him as he built the fire; “This will be one of your jobs Lupa, to keep the fireplace going. It’s a responsible job, if there’s no fire there’s no hot water. No hot water means cold showers and that makes for a very cranky Marie. So it’s best to keep the fire banked up.” As the flames took, hold he put more kindling on the pile, making sure it got enough air. Only putting the larger pieces on when he was sure that the fire had taken. Brushing his hands clean he turned to Lupa, who was watching him and the smoke coming from the fire. “So how long were you there Lupa?” His tone soft and questioning. Licking his lips Lupa opened his mouth, willing the words to come out.

“Since I was small. I don’t know exactly from when.” His voice was small, quiet, almost a whisper; his eyes were locked on the smoke pouring out of the green wood. Logan didn’t reply he just sat there looking at him. The silence building until he felt it become unbearable. “I heard her say you’re my relative. Why didn’t you come before now?” The pain in the boys voice filled the air, cutting him to the bone, flaying the skin from him. Logan looked into the cool blue eyes that were filled with hurt.
“I didn’t know I was a relative until two weeks ago Lupa. I’ve been looking for family a long time and we found you.” Logan moved his gaze to the fire and his features darkened a little. “I’m just sorry I didn’t find you sooner.” Lupa could feel the guilt under his hatred for the place he’d come from, he understood the feelings that were pouring off this man who’d come to welcome him into his home, his life. A stranger related to him in some way but the same as he was inside. He still felt cautious, still a little afraid of the man in front of him but deep inside he knew he’d never hurt him intentionally. Turning his own gaze to the fire he just watched the flames lick and devour the wood, the hypnotic sound and smell lulling him to sleep. Filling his dreams full of autumn bonfires at the orphanage, the smell of the winter coming across the garden where he loved to play, only this time he wasn’t alone there he had family.

Logan watched Lupa fall asleep on the sofa, his small body unknotting and relaxing into the old beat up sofa. His hands still clutching his small bundle as if it was his anchor in this strange new world. He was still watching him sleep when Marie came in, looking tired and worn. He heard her punch in her code and lock the door tightly behind her, stifling a yawn she made her way over to the fire. Looking over the back of the sofa Lupa was curled up on she caught his attention and nodded to the kitchen. Watching her walk away through to the small kitchen he pushed off the floor and followed her.
Finding her in the fridge with her rear stuck out he smiled and slapped it, hard. Seeing her head shoot up and a frown covering her face he just laughed and said ‘Diner’.

Pulling out the plate she’d been searching for, she brought it over to the central table in the small kitchen. Sitting across from him, she spoke. “Well the thing is Xavier was waiting for us to arrive and he was already scanning us when were driving up here.” Logan grunted his disapproval as he helped himself to the plates contents. Maries eyes hit his and she continued. “Yes I know you don’t like it but it’s part of the security Logan, something you yourself advised if I’m not mistaken. Anyway there’s not much to tell really, what he could glean from Lupa was a miserable existence. Separated from the rest of the children, beaten, locked up most of the day, basically what we expected.” Marie paused and Logan picked up her scent of hesitation and looked straight through her.
“What?” Marie sighed and picked up a piece of salad from the plate. Chewing the piece thoughtfully, she answered.
“Xavier told me Lupa isn’t a mutant. Not in the conventional sense, he does have the mutant gene his records showed that. It’s how his mutation shows itself.” She took a breath and looked him in the eyes. “He’s a shapechanger.” Logan stopped chewing and swallowed the information along with his food. She could see him weighing the information up in his head.
“Like Mystique?”
“No. Not like Mystique, she had scales that change her outward appearance, but underneath she’s still there. Lupa changes completely, there’s a small file in his notes that Jean read to me, his changes were small at first. The first one occurred when he was eight.”

The day had been long and Marie looked totally worn and tired but she had to tell him what she’d found out. He needed to know this, especially after Lupa’s reaction to him earlier that day. “He slashed a boy across the chest. He was reacting to a taunt apparently, he just got angry lashed out and ran away. He never even saw the damage he did to the other boy. Luckily it was only grazing but the orphanage then decided to remove his contact from the other students. That’s when he got his own ‘dorm’.” She knew Logan was listening to every single word and she could see his mind going through the days he’d been left in that room away from everyone. Reaching out she touched his arm and saw the hatred burning in him, the desire to tear the people apart for doing harm to Lupa, to his family. Walking round the table Marie pulled his hands round her waist and lifted his head to meet her gaze.

“Hey, he’s safe here. He’s with us now, that’s all that matters right now.” She could see the sense of her words sinking into him but she could still feel the aggression just under the surface of his skin, primed and ready. “Fancy burning off a little energy?” Her smile caught his eye and he looked up into her tired face, knowing she wasn’t really upto it but she’d offered him the only comfort she could right at that moment.
Standing up, his arms still wrapped around her waist he kissed her long and hard, feeling her melt into him, forming herself around his body. Sending his senses reeling with her touch but knowing she was tired and it wouldn’t be fair on either of them. Breaking the kiss and releasing her a little from his grasp, he just smiled. “Maybe you ought to get to bed now. You’re up in about five hours. I’ll sleep down here tonight, I’ve a feeling Lupa might need to be calmed when he wakes up. Leave us asleep if you find us like that when you come down.” Kissing him quickly she unwrapped herself and made her way to the back stairs, “Okay as long as you remember to pick up Amber tomorrow morning as soon as your ready. You know how she gets when your not there first thing.”

Disappearing up the stairs to bed, he remembered the first day he hadn’t been there to greet Amber, she’d screamed the house down and it took Marie almost two hours to calm her down. Amber had been better about it recently but she still had days when she needed to see him as soon as she woke. He found it calming to know that she needed him, that Amber wanted him just as much as her mother did.
Switching off the kitchen light and sitting in the sofa across from Lupa’s sleeping form he wondered what his face would have been like if he’d changed completely. What would he have looked like? Would he have been human or something else, whatever he was he needed to go slowly, try to get him to talk about it. This was going to be difficult, even harder than trying to keep Amber penned in. Looking at the fire and adding another log to the embers, he prepared to wait the night out, listening to the sounds of the fire and the steady soft breathing of Lupa. Looking at the small boy’s form he went and brought out a blanket he used when he slept downstairs, it was a relic. The weave was worn and the design was Indian but it had a comforting presence for him maybe it would for Lupa too. Wrapping the blanket round Lupa his eyes were drawn to the small scars round the back of Lupa’s neck. Pushing his head forward a little his eyes saw a pattern he recognised, shifting Lupa’s head back onto the sofa he reconsidered visiting the orphanage sooner rather than later. Settling in his chair across from the boy, Logan scowled as he thought of the things the boy had been put through.

His eyes never left him through the long night, watching each twitch and dream, seeing the changes ripple through him as he dreamed. He watched as Lupa’s feet twisted into paws and back again, the long nails shredding the sofa cushions. Logan watched the process, absorbing it all in the half-light the fire gave to the room. Six am rolled around and he heard Marie getting herself ready for her day. He hadn’t slept but he didn’t feel any worse for wear, in fact, he felt more awake than ever. Sensing that Lupa was starting to wake up he closed his own eyes for a while, deciding to play possum. Eyes closed relying on his senses to tell him what was happening, he heard Marie’s footsteps as she came down stairs and walked over to him and Lupa. He could smell her warmth from here and he suppressed a growl in his throat, mornings had been their usual time to be together. Last nights late arrival had scuppered that plan, it was nice to know that Marie’s body still knew the score. He heard her fuss over Lupa, her hands brushing the old blanket knowing the half smile she would have on her face after she knew he’d rescued his old blanket from one of her cleaning raids.

Periodically Marie tried to throw it away but it would always end up back in the cupboard. Sighing he heard her turn and knew she was watching him, she bent closer to him and he heard her whisper. “I know your not asleep Logan, I know when you’re faking you old possum you.” Her hand pulled his whiskers playfully. “Don’t forget to pick up Amber and take Lupa for his medical. Jean’s expecting him around 9am.” Kissing the side of his face she just chuckled and made her way out of the cabin.

He waited until he heard her car pull away to open his eyes again, as he did his gaze met the blurry one of Lupa’s. Seeing the confusion settle and then melt away as he remembered where he was. His eyes wide as he looked at the room in the coming dawn light, burning it in to his memory. Moving his feet, he felt the tears and his eyes filled with fear, instantly finding Logan’s and waiting for his reaction. Pushing himself out of his chair, he cracked his back, neck and shoulders, seeing Lupa shrink into the sofa as his body moved. Comfortable again he stretched, yawned and looked at the frightened face of Lupa. He was expecting something, a punishment, a physical blow not an invite to breakfast. “You hungry? I’m starving, lets see if Marie left us anything.”

Lupa watched Logan walk to the kitchen, his toes feeling the rips he’d put in the fabric, the long deep tears in the foam. He couldn’t not know about them, the blanket had moved and he’d been able to see them. So why hadn’t he said something? His stomach growled and he felt the bone gnawing emptiness that always followed a night of changes. It was as if his whole system was starving, he’d always kept a few pieces of candy next to his bed, and it sometimes took a few bars to get him out of bed some days.

Unwrapping himself from the warm blanket he padded to the kitchen, his nose already telling him that bacon was cooking. As he entered the small compact kitchen, he saw the two plates already stacked with eggs and toast. Sensing his presence Logan spoke. “You planning on leaving us so soon?” Lupa looked confused as Logan turned round forking bacon onto the plates. His eyes drifted down to Lupa’s own hands, his blanket was still clutched in his hand. Almost apologetically, he looked for somewhere to put it down. Noticing his discomfort Logan just sat down at the table and started on his breakfast. Lupa placed his bundle on a spare chair and sat down in front of the plate, his eyes watching Logan’s every movement. Not touching the food in front of him although he knew he was starving.

Noticing that he wasn’t eating Logan swiped a piece of bacon back from his plate. “If you don’t want it just say so. I’m not a cereal type of guy I’m afraid.” Waving the piece of bacon in front of Lupa’s nose, “Besides I’m owed a piece from yesterday,” smiling as he spoke. Breaking through the quiet exterior into the smile, he’d seen yesterday covering Lupa’s face. Picking up his bacon Lupa stuffed in the still warm slices, drooling as the taste filled his mouth. Lupa powered through the breakfast, cleaning his plate completely licking off the bacon juices.

Smiling as he watched Logan hoped that Lupa did that later when Marie was around, he could just see her face trying not to laugh while trying to stop Amber from copying Lupa. Putting his plate down on the table, Lupa pushed away from the table and taking the now empty plate to the sink placing it in carefully. “Feeling better?” Lupa nodded and smiled. “Come on time to get you cleaned up and into some new clothes.” Lupa picked up his bundle and followed Logan up the back staircase. The stairs were small but light, picked out with small pieces of carved artwork in the panelling. A butterfly on the turn of the stairs, a moth on the return wall, an owl on the top of the stairs. Lupa’s eyes took it all in, drinking in the details of the cabin, even the feel of the boards under his feet.
Walking down the long top corridor they stopped outside a room, watching as Logan opened the door Lupa just stood there, unsure of what he’d find behind the door. Lifting his eyes from the floor and into the room, he saw a large solid bed, a wardrobe, a small desk and computer terminal, shelves with an assortment of books. A door was ajar and looked to be the bathroom, a private bathroom. Looking at Logan he just gulped and desperately wanted to know if it was real, that this was his. Putting his hand on his shoulder Logan’s eyes met his and he squeezed his shoulder, nodding ever so slightly as he did so.

Letting go of Lupa Logan watched the boy take in everything, the bed, the carpet, and the books. “We’ll be going to the big house soon Lupa, there’s people you need to meet and I’ve got to pick up Amber. So I’ll be back in half an hour, there’s clothes in the wardrobe for you and socks and stuff in the drawers.” With that, he left him in the room, gently closing the door on him, hoping he’d cope with it all. Coming from nothing to this, from a place where he was treated like an animal to where he was a member of a family and wanted. Diving into the bathroom for his shower, he hoped the fire had heated enough water for them both after Marie’s shower this morning.

After a tepid shower he knocked on the door of Lupa’s room, his hair stuck up in its usual unruly mess and a new shirt on that looked almost the same as the one he’d had to trash. “Lupa?” There wasn’t any answer from the room, the air had changed and he breathed in deeply. There was a heavy scent of fear in the air, trying to keep the concern out of his voice, he asked again. “Lupa you ready to go?” Trying the door the handle turned and he found Lupa sat on the bed quietly crying. His face red and the remains of a shirt in his hands, the long strips moving gently in the movement of his hands. The shape of his claws visible through the material, his hands splayed wide, fingers distended and covered in downy fur. Lupa didn’t raise his head as Logan walked in the room, he didn’t speak to him he just walked to the drawers, pulled out another shirt and handed it to him. After a few moments, Lupa took the shirt and he could see the full changes to his hands. The fingers were strong, thick, the nails hardened into claws slightly curving at the ends.

Logan watched as Lupa pulled on the shirt, noticing the scars that covered his skin and suppressing the rage, he felt underneath. He didn’t know how he’d gotten those and he’d wait until Jean had done her exam before he asked any questions. Looking at him sat in shame, the ruined shirt laid by his side. Lupa’s eyes found his “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to, it’s just that I was in a hurry and I….” He trailed off into silence, expecting a reprimand, something to happen that he didn’t deserve. Logan could see the fear in him, it filled the air and he sat next to Lupa the ruined shirt between them both.
“It’s okay, accidents happen. It’s expected. Just don’t rush next time, take as much time as you need.” He could feel his heartbeat slow as the time of punishment left and Lupa began to trust that he wasn’t going to be hurt. “Does this happen often? Your changes?” Lupa didn’t speak for a while, when he did it was quietly.
“Not as often as they are now. It was once or twice a month, now it’s nearly everyday.” Lupa’s eyes met his and the emotions poured out afterward. “You’re not going to take me back are you? I mean your not mad at me for the shirt and…” he paused unsure he should tell about the sofa. Logan filled the blanks for him.
“The sofa?” Lupa nodded and hung his head down pulling his eyes away from his. Sighing Logan put his hand on Lupa’s back and could feel the involuntary move away from his touch. “It’s alright. You should’ve seen the mess I’ve made of places.” The moment of uncertainty resolved for the present Logan got up and held out his hand for Lupa to follow him. Lupa got up his bare feet brushing against the carpet, shuffling forward Logan noticed that they were bare and slightly furred, the toes elongated and hooked over. The shredded pair of shoes tucked under the towel on his desk chair, raising his eyebrow at the sight Logan just sighed. “Looks like we’ll be borrowing some of Hanks old shoes for a while. That is until we can find you something that won’t hurt you everytime you change.” Lupa’s face was bright red. “Come on, we’ll take the soft route to the school.”

As they left the front door, making sure the locks were engaged he took another look at Lupa’s feet. They were broader, stronger and looked more than capable of walking or running down to the school. Looking at his own boots, the worn leather and the almost second skin feel they had to them. Lupa was looking out over the valley, taking in everything the night had hidden from him. The trees, the birds singing, the scent of the world around him, everything a huge garden for him to explore. Smiling he turned to see Logan with his boots hung round his neck, his own feet brown skinned and strong under him. “Ready?” Lupa smiled and set out down the hill, the feel of the dew-moistened grass under their feet making them both smile and slip.

The kitchen was in full swing when they got there, food was being taken out to the dining hall and Jubilee was doing her best to organise several younger pupils to eat their breakfasts without throwing it around the room. Amber was sat in a small chair at the table edge; her concentration fixed on a piece of toast. Kids and teachers were trying to get children organised and food eaten; ensuring a mess was being made everywhere there was space.
Both of them crept in and just watched the melee around them, it took Amber 30 seconds to recognise her fathers scent in the crowded room. “DADDY!” The ear-piercing cry rang out over the noise and the silence that followed it was filled by a very proud Logan making a fuss of his now wide-awake, squeaking daughter. Lupa hung back near to the door, his eyes not meeting anyone’s gaze. Plucking Amber from her seat Logan hefted her easily and scanned the room, Jubilee was still trying to fend off food from the other toddlers that were sat at the table.

Ororo was ferrying food backwards and forwards, Kurt’s tail could be seen lashing around as he was on breakfast duty and it annoyed him. Lupa just stood with his head lowered and tried to make himself part of the wall, turning to him with Amber in his arms Logan lifted his head. "You keep your head up here Lupa.” The words were spoken in a tone that reverberated through him, like a soft growl, all feeling and sensation. Amber giggled as she pulled on his whiskers, seeing her father wince with each tug until he growled into her stomach making her laugh. Happy with the attention she diverted her attention to his shirt buttons, playing with the round shapes and testing her strength on them. Luckily she was normal today and they stayed where they were meant to.

“Come on Lupa we’ve got to go see the doc.” Logan felt Lupa’s resistance “Believe me you’ll like her, besides Amber has to go for her tests too today. Maybe we’ll find out exactly why her powers keep coming and going.” As they passed Jubilee she held up a remote control for Logan to see and just smiled. Logan nodded and understood another piece of nursery equipment had bitten the dust, last time it had been the Tv. Amber wanted to change the channel and unfortunately pushed the whole control panel in. That wasn’t the problem, the channel had been stuck on Barney for the whole day driving Jubilee crazy. Although she’d had her revenge when she’d caught him humming a tune from the ‘Barney Goes Camping’ video. She whistled a bar from it as he left the room laughing as she heard the growl come from the corridor.