Knew I could find her. Her scent…I can’t explain it, except to say her scent is real special and different. It’s sweet and innocent and alluring…one of a kind, I think. Know it’s really the best smell I’ve ever encountered, so I could track it through a crowd filled with over ten thousand or more, so finding her in the woods about half a mile from the busted jet proved an easy task.





Could have, should have, gutted the Ice Cube when he said she had wondered off on her own. Little dumb ass knows I Magnet Head is around, and he let Marie just walk into the woods with no one to watch out for her. Old fucker nearly killed her once, so I know, just by looking at her, she ain’t thrilled to be around him and I don’t care what the old bastard says about working together, cause I can smell on him that he’s got his own agenda and if I find out or even suspect his plans include Marie, I’m gonna fucking kill him. And the Blue Bitch and anyone else that gets in the way of me protecting my girl, their gonna get a gut full of claws and I ain’t even gonna blink, cause no one is ever gonna hurt Marie again.





No one. Not Mags. Not the Ice Kid. No one. She is mine. Plain and simple. Realized after Mystique’s little stunt last night that I had to give up on denying what I feel for my Marie, cause that girl…that girl in the one I want and love and while Jean might be hot as hell, she ain’t Marie.





Marie, she is one of a kind. She is the best. She is perfection.





She is mine.





That’s the main thought in my head when I find her sitting in a clearing, staring up at the sly, looking beautiful with her hair pulled back from her face.





Christ, I could spend a lifetime just looking at that girl.





But she looks over at me to let me know she’s knows I’m there.





“You shouldn’t be alone out here, kid.” I paused a few feet from her.





“I’m not alone. You’re here. I know you’d find me.”





“Damn right. You don’t need to be alone. Not with Magneto around.”





She lifted her shoulders. “You want to hear something strange?”





Moving to sit beside her on the damn ground, I nod and she sighs and gets a pensive look on her face.





“It’s funny, but he doesn’t scare me so much anymore.”



That’s good. I don’t won’t her to be scared. Ever. Of anything, but I’m curious and I’m thinking she can see it cause she shrugs again.





“He seems kind of frail, you know? Old. Weak maybe. A little desperate.”





“He’s still dangerous.”





“Maybe. But seeing him, he’s a lot less scary than he is in my nightmares.”





“I guess that’s good then.”





She smiled, that easy smile that just seems as bright as sunshine and almost as pure.





“How about you?” Her eyes found mine as she asked. “You okay?”





“Always, kid.”





“Logan…”





“Don’t worry about me.”





“Of course I worry about you. You’re Logan.”





“And that means…”





“I worry, cause you mean a lot to me. And I know this is hard on you. I pulled you away, at the mansion…”





She looked away and I reached for her gloved hand.





“You didn’t do nothing wrong, Marie.”





At that, she turned to me again and tears were in her eyes. “It’s been a while since I’ve been called Marie.”





“To me, you’ll always be Marie.” My Marie. Mine.





“I just want you to know how sorry I am this is happening.”





“None of this shit is your fault, kid. None of it.”





“I know you want to find your past and this Stryker is a key to that.”





“Maybe he is. Maybe he ain’t. I don’t know yet.”





“Will you tell me, Logan? Whatever you find, will you tell me?”





“I don’t know, Marie. Some of it might be bad.”





“I don’t care. I mean it, Logan. I want to know.”





“It could make you see me different.”





That was my biggest fear, that what I might find could be so bad, so ugly, she would start to look at me the way everyone else already did…she could look at me like I was a freak or something and if that happened, I knew it would kill me.





“Nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever change the way I see you, because you are so kind and good and decent and as far as I am concerned, you are perfect.”





“Hardly, kid.”





“To me, you are perfect, so promise me, Logan. Promise you will tell me.”





“Marie…”





“Promise.”





“Okay. Okay, kid. I promise. I’ll tell you.”





She grinned at that and I sighed, unable to believe that this girl could get promises out of me when know one else could in the fifteen years I could recall.





“Good. Thanks, Logan.”





Unable to resist, I slipped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her too me, just as I had when we had been sitting on the train.





Drinking in a breath, I savored her scent.





“About the Ice Kid, Marie…”





“He and I are over. No officially, but we are.”





“Really? What made you decided that?” Not that it mattered, as long as he was gonna be hitting the road and hitting hard.





Hell, maybe a Mac Truck would come along and flatten him.





A guy can hold out hope, right?





“I just realized I was fooling myself, cause I don’t love Bobby.”





“You don’t?”





“No. My heart belongs to someone else.”





She said the words softly, but I heard them and I knew what they meant, what she was saying without saying it.





“How about you and Jean? You making any progress?”





There was no scorn in her voice, she was just curious.





But she had no reason to be.





“No. I’ve given up on that.”





“Why?”


“She’s Scooter’s girl through and through.”





“Oh.”





“Besides, I realized something.”





She lifted her head then and looked at me. “What did you realize?”





“My heart belongs to someone else.”





My eyes held hers as I said it and she smiled, telling me she knew and she understood it, she knew what I meant, but she knew as well as I did that the time for a real long talk about it wasn’t right.





We had a world to save.





The fate of mutant and mankind was in our hands.





But once the job was done and the dust settled, me and Marie, we both knew we had a long talk waiting on us and even better, we had a long future.





Together.





As one.





Forever.





THE END