I wasn’t pleased, when Marie was dating the little ice brat, but I figured, as far as dumb little teenage boys go, he seemed kind of harmless. A little sissy like, in my eyes, not very likely to make any real move and if he did, I suspected Marie could easily beat the shit out of him on her own. Hell, he’d likely cry if she so much as snapped at him, which was, I knew, likely to eventually happen, cause Marie had that big dose of me in her head and I ventured a guess that the ‘inner me’ didn’t like Bobby anymore than then outer me did.





Anyway, as much as I hated it, as much as it made my blood boil like lava to see that little dickhead holding Marie’s hand and calling himself her boyfriend, I made peace with it, cause as much as I loved Marie, I knew it wasn’t the right time for me and her to hook up. She was still young, she needed time to grow and figure out what she wanted, from life and I intended to give her that time, cause I already had plans on how I could and would keep her with me forever. I had already talked to Hank about it and he was working on calculating just how long I would have to hold on to Marie to give her a real good dose of my powers for good and manage to come back from it.





Course, that was still a few years away, so I just stayed closed, watched Marie and six months after Alkali, when she *finally* dumped Bobby cause she figured out he had a thing for John.





Didn’t see that coming.





Well, I was delighted, cause Marie was at least ‘boyfriend free’ for a time and I liked it that way cause it meant she had even more time to spend with me.





Until it happened.





He came to the mansion.





Remy. Gambit. The Cajun.





Me, I kind of hated him on sight, cause he had that fucking accent that sounded like nails on a chalkboard and I hated him even more when I realized that out of all the girls in the mansion, he had set his sights on Marie.





And Marie, she seemed to like him back.





What the fuck?





See, I’m the only one Marie is suppose to smile at and laugh with and hang out with, but all the sudden, this Remy ass in sitting beside her on the sofa and he’s holding her hand and whispering sweet words in her ear.





I wanted to gut him. Plain and simple.





Scooter stopped me.





He told me that yeah, Remy was annoying, and yeah, he said with a meaningfully look, he knew what it was like to have some asshole flirting with your girl, but I just had to just suck it up and deal with it.





Like he had.





“Was it that bad?” I asked, suddenly feeling like shit.





“At first. Then I realized something. Two things, really.”





“What two things?”





“First of all, I realized Jean loved me.”





“She did. More than anything.”





That got a smile. “I know.”





“And the second thing?”





“You, Wolverine my man, have been in love with Rogue since the day you met her, but you’re just a little slow at putting two and two together.”





“Asshole.”





“Maybe. But I’m smarter than you.”





“Yeah, but I’m better looking.”





“Only if a woman likes snuggling up to a fury ball.”





“Listen here, One Eye….”





“You want to waste your time insulting me or do you want to get Remy away from your girl for good?”





“The second one.”





“Thoughts so. So I have some advise.”





“Does it involve shedding some of that bastard’s blood?”





He sighed. “No. And you know as well as I do that Rogue wouldn’t like that.”





I growled, but I knew he was right.





“So what’s the advice?”





“Tell her.” He said it with a shrug.





“Tell her what?”





“Jesus. Logan, tell her that you love her.”





“Just like that?”





“Logan, this isn’t brain surgery, which is a good thing, cause you need a brain of your own for that.”





“Scooter…”





“Yes, just like that. Just tell her.”





God, but he made it sound simple.





“You know, I know you once asked Jean if putting up with me was her gift, and to some extent, I think it was, but putting up with you is gonna be more than enough to someday get Rogue ordained a Saint.”





That was kind of funny, but I flicked him off anyway, as I left him, to think about what he had said, wondering if he was right. Could it be that easy? I knew Marie had once had a crush on me, but was she ready to love me, to be with me for good, cause one I made her mine there simply wouldn’t be no going back.





Still working it out in my mind, I headed to the kitchen, to get a beer, but voices coming from in there stopped me when I heard Bobby’s voice say Rogue’s name.





“Look, Remy, I know she is beautiful and sweet, and God knows, I know what it is like to take one look at her and fall hard, but I can tell you now, you are wasting your time when it comes to Rogue.”





“Why de Iceman say dat? Is it de skin? Cause Remy, he can deal with de skin.”





“It isn’t her skin. Hell, I could have found a way around the skin.”





I had to hold back a growl at that, cause them talking about Marie’s skin and how to find ways around it was pissing me off.





“What be de problem?”





“Something called Wolverine.”





“Wolverine?”





I could hear the confusion in Remy’s voice, but I smiled.





“You might know him better as Logan.”





“He be de big, hair man dat always growl when he see Remy with Rogue?”





“Yeah, that be him, and you be lucky he hasn’t clawed you by now.”





“Clawed?” Confusion replaced with fear. Good.





“Yeah, he has these metal claws in his arms, and he heals from anything and let me tell you I have seen him in action and he is…well, I don’t like to admit it, but he scares the shit out of me.”





“So de Wolverine, he be the reason…”





“No, Rogue broke up with me cause she figured out what I felt for John even before I did but even if I hadn’t been in love with John, nothing would have ever happened between me and her.”





“Cause de Wolverine would kill you?”





“Well, that and Rogue, she loves Logan as much as Logan loves her, and everyone in the mansion pretty much knows it’s only a matter of time before they finally get their acts together.”





“You be sure?”





“Next time you see the two of them together, you look at them and you will clearly

see that they are in love.”





I walked away, before I could hear what Remy said, cause whatever he said, it didn’t matter.





I knew all I needed to know.





It would be as easy as just saying the words.





I went to her, found her in her room, working on a painting, looking like an angel with paint speckled on her shorts and shirt.





“Logan.” She flashed a smile at me over her shoulder.





“Hey, darlin.”





“What are you up to?” She went back to her painting.





“Well, I just wanted to stop by and tell you that I love you.”





She went real still and that for a moment, before turning to look at me.





“What…”





“I love you.”





“Logan…” I could smell her tears and see them in her eyes.





“I wanted to tell you for a while, but I wasn’t sure how, till Scooter told me just to get off my ass and come right out and say it, so I figured I’d listen to him for once and just follow his advise.”





“Good. I mean, it’s time you realize Scott is really smart.”





“Maybe. But Scooter ain’t on my mind now.”





“What’s on your mind?”





“Whether or not you love me back?”





“You have to ask? Logan, I love you. I always have.”





“Just like that?”





She grinned and nodded. “Just like that.”





And just like that, she came to me, into my arms and I held her close, knowing I’d never let her go.





She was mine.





I was hers.





And just like that, we both knew it.





THE END