“Kid?”





She looked up from where she had set down by herself in a quite nook of the jet,

after her brief confrontation with Magneto.





“Hey, Logan.”





He set down beside her. “Look, I know working with this bastard ain’t easily. It’s taking a lot of will power for me not to gut him like a pig, but he ain’t gonna hurt you now or ever again.”





“I know. I really do. It’s just…”





“Just what?”





“I feel useless, Logan. Powerless. Like I did when he kidnapped me. I couldn’t do a single thing to help myself then and now, all mutant kind is at risk and I can’t do a damn thing to help. I’m gonna set on the plane with Bobby and John while once again, you run off, to do the hero thing.”





“Ah, kid, being a hero ain’t why I’m doing this.”





“Then why are you doing it?”





“Cause it has to be done. Someone has to stop Stryker.”





“I could help, Logan. If I go into the compound, I could touch someone, get information, something that could tell is where The Professor and Scott are at…”





“And end up with another voice in your head.”





“I could handle it. I could handle the risk.”





“Yeah, well, I can’t.”





She frowned. “But you do. You risked yourself for me. You’re doing it again.”





“I can handle risking myself, kid, it’s any risk to you that I can’t and won’t handle, so hell yeah, you are gonna sit on the plane with Bobby and Fire Fly and you are gonna stay out of danger.”





“Logan…”





“I mean it, Marie. I don’t care about fucking mutant kind or mankind. I don’t even give a fuck about Scooter or Chuck, I am doing this cause it has to be done to assure that you remain safe and sound.”





“Logan…”





“I ain’t a hero, Marie. I ain’t a good guy. I sure as hell don’t own a white hat much less wear one.” His eyes reached into hers. “All of this, everything that happened before, the stuff that went down with Magneto and now, with stopping Stryker, I did all of it and I am doing all of it for you, Marie. To keep you safe. To know that you will be alive at the end of the day. I need to know that. I need to know you are in this world, in my world, in my life, cause all the good I have is in you.”





The speech was one she had never thought he would make, she hadn’t thought he could openly express himself so well and it brought tears to her eyes.





“I feel the same about you, Logan. And you were wrong, when you said you weren’t a hero, cause you are a hero to me.”





“Marie…”





“You’re my hero, Logan”





“And?”





“And what?”





“What else am I to you, Marie?”





“Everything. You’re everything to me.”





“Some here, darlin’. You’re everything. Have been from the start and will be till the very end.”





“The end is still a long time away, isn’t it, Logan?”





“You had better believe it, darling. You an me, we are just at the beginning.”





She smiled and reached for his hand with her gloved one. “The best is yet to come.”





“The best is yet to come, Marie. I swear it. So you just sit tight and let me and the mighty X-Geeks handle this little mess and then me and you can start concentrating on those best things that are coming our way. Deal?”





“Deal.”





“Good.”





THE END