He snuck out of his room at five minutes to six that morning, right after his roommate left, fully dressed. He had heard the entire conversation the night before and decided to follow the other boy. He had a feeling that his roommate wasn’t exactly who he said he was, and that someone was in grave danger.

“Hey Oscar, since when do you get up before nine?” Cloud was walking up the stairs just as he was going down. “What’s up?”

The smile on her face from seeing her best friend quickly evaporated when she saw the determination and fear written all over his face. “What’s the matter? Did something happen?”

“Not yet. I need your help, but there is no time to waist,” he replied as he grabbed her arm and dragged her toward the door. “I overheard Armand talking to someone at about two this morning. He’s up to something, and I don’t think that it’s going to be good. He’s meeting someone just off the grounds right now, and I think it’s someone who shouldn’t be here. I think someone’s going to get hurt.”

He didn’t have to say any more. They had ran the entire way, Cloud following his scent as they ran through the back yards and into the woods just off the grounds. It wasn’t long before they found Armand speaking with someone hidden behind a few trees.

Cloud crouched down, pulling Oscar with her. He didn’t understand why they didn’t get any closer to see who it was Armand was speaking with.

“He’ll smell us if we get any closer,” Cloud explained with a hushed whisper. He almost didn’t hear her. “We’re down wind right now, but that could change at any moment.”

“What’s the matter? You know who it is?” Oscar asked slowly. He knew that she had heightened senses, but he hadn’t realized how powerful until just now.

“Sabertooth,” she growled. “Go back to the mansion and tell Logan that we’ve got our snake.”

Oscar wasn’t sure what she was talking about, but he ran with the message any way. He was a little worried about leaving Cloud alone so close to Sabertooth, but knew that it had to be done. She would be able to stay away from the monster, even if she had to fly, and, besides, if anyone could hide from him, it would be Cloud.

She watched him leave, as she listened to the others talking. She could hear them arguing about what Armand was supposed to do.

“Now remember, you got to slip it to her and get rid of the vial before the runt gets anywhere near you.” Sabertooth sounded agitated, almost put out by having to play delivery boy. It really wasn’t his usual motif, in the first place. “If he smells it, he will know exactly what it is.”

“And what about Cloud?” Armand asked quickly, trying to cover all the loose ends.

“She’s never smelt anything like this before. She wont know what it is until it’s too late.” Sabertooth quickly turned and left, disappearing into the trees. It was strange. She had screwed up badly by not covering her scent when the winds had changed, but he acted like he didn’t even notice. She had practically felt his body tense the moment it happened so she knew he had picked up her scent, but he hadn’t given her away. There was more to this then anyone realized.

She watched as Armand waited a few moments before turning to head back to the mansion. As soon as he was within arms length, she stretched out her leg. As soon as she felt him fall against it, she was on her feet. Unfortunately, he was a lot faster than he had lead. He was gaining his ground as she took her stance, preparing to fight.

“Where the fuck did you come from?” He was more startled than upset. He smiled then, and she could see the sickness in his eyes. “You want to play with the big boys, little girl?”

She could feel the revulsion stir in her stomach as his eyes traveled up and down her body. He had hit on her since he had arrived, but she had always ignored him. Although she hadn’t thought that he was a creep, and his rich brown hair and blue eyes on his tall frame was enough to stir the hormones of many girls at the school, there had always been something about him that had turned her off. Even though there weren’t too many boys banging on her door, she wouldn’t lower her standards and date him. At this moment, she was very happy she hadn’t.

“Let’s go, big boy,” she replied flirtatiously, quirking an eyebrow and blowing him a kiss. She knew that he had to be very careful. They had sparred many times and he knew exactly what she was capable of. She had a feeling that he had held back a lot during those sessions, though. If she could just keep him on his toes long enough to give Logan and the others some time to actually get there, she knew she would be fine.

He charged her then, something she had never expected. Usually he hung back, and allowed the other person to make the first move. She ducked out of the way, and danced around him, keeping her wings close as she did so as to not allow him anything to grab on to. She swung out, hitting him in the side on his face as she did so.

She could hear the sound of running as they danced around each other, and knew that she just needed a little more time before the others arrived.

He reached out, grabbing her by the wrist and twisting her arm around her back, pinning her wings down. He twisted a little harder, forcing pain to shoot up through her forearm. Just a little more and he would have broken her arm, but she was able to force her way out of by twisting her body around, towards his thumb. She pushed away from him just as his fist connected with her jaw.

She felt something break just before her mouth filled with blood. She spit it out as the warm liquid filled her mouth. She threw out another punch as he rushed her, hitting him in the eye. She could feel the warmth of his blood on her fist as she backed away from him. It was plainly obvious that the worst thing she could do now was to allow him to get close. She had to keep him at a distance.

He stood strait and jumped for her. She ducked quickly as he flew towards her. Just as she rolled out of his way, she saw Logan and the others running toward them. His claws were already extended and he was wearing nothing but a pair of boxers.

Armand must have heard them, also. He made a dive for something lying in the grass and she realized that he must have tossed the vial when she tripped him. She lunged for his legs, cutting him just a few milliliters short of his destination. As he struggled to grasp the vial, Logan walked over, claws fully extended, and crushed it beneath his bare feet.

“You’ve got some explaining to do, Bub.”