“Marie?”



She looked away from the window, the one in her room, that she had been staring out aimlessly when he first entered without her even realizing he was there, which was more than enough to tell him something was off.





“Logan. Hey.” The smile she offered him seemed forced, not her normal, natural, radiant, smile, and he didn’t like it.





“Hey. You okay, kid? Most everyone else is back in classes and your held up in here.”





She lifted one shoulder. “I’m not in the mood for it, Logan.”





He leaned against the door he had locked behind himself. “The mood for what?”





“I’m not in the mood to pretend everything is fine and dandy in the world, when we all know it isn’t.” Some anger seemed to bleed into her. “I mean, people attacked us, right here, in our own home, John ran off with Magneto, and Jean…”

She winced and looked away.





“I know. And I get it. But Chuck, he wants everyone to feel safe again and he thinks he is doing that by trying to get things back to normal.”





“There’s a fucking joke for you. What the hell is normal around here?”





He had to laugh at that. “Good point.”





“I just feel like I…I don’t know, I’m stuck back there, reliving it again and again, seeing it all play out and as bad as it is for me, I know it has to be ten times worse for Scott and for you as well.”





“Scott is a mess.” Logan could admit that. “He’s trying to hold it together, to appear as if he’s got it all under control inside, but I can see he’s close to a breaking point.”





“And you?” She looked right at him, her eyes questioning.





“Me?”


“Well, I know you aren’t likely to fall apart, but I…I know you loved her.”



“I didn’t love her, Marie.”





“Really?”





He shook his head. “I admired Jean and yeah, she was one hell of a beauty, but I knew, from the get go, that she belonged to Scott.”





“Oh.”





“And I knew I belonged to someone else.”





She lifted her eyes back to his. “You do?”





“Yeah. Took me a while to admit it.”





“Why?” He could hear her heart racing.





“Wasn’t sure I should feel what I do or want what I want with this person, cause she’s the best damn thing I’ve ever laid my eyes on and personally, I think she deserves a hell of a lot better than me.”





“Maybe she thinks you’re the best there is.”





“Is there a chance that she thinks that?”





“More than a chance, I believe.”





“Really?”





“Yeah. And I am willing to bet she knows she belongs to you too.”





“You think she knows we both need just a little time?”





“I think she understands that. I think she realizes time needs to pass for things to settle, a bit and I think she understand the wait won’t be long, it’s just gonna feel that way.”





“For both of us.”





“But when everything is right, she’s gonna be ready.”





“So am I.”





He could see tears as well as understanding in her eyes. “Until then, she’d would likely want you to know she loves you.”





“Well, until then, I would want her to know I love her right back.”





“She knows.”





“Good. She’d better never forget it.”





“She doesn’t want you to forget it, either.”





“Never, darlin. I’ll never forget.”





The End