Story Notes:
This is my first fic, and I Know it is short, but if people want more, I would be more than happy to write a sequel, or a prequel, or both. Let me know! Also, the name of this comes from Enya's song 'One by one. I seriously recommend it. Also, keep your eyes open for Cameo St. John!
"Hey."

One word. That's it. She winces in return.

"Hey." Pleading. Asking. It wasn't supposed to happen like this. It wasn't supposed to end before it had a chance to begin.

She starts pulling cat hair off his shirt, anything to keep her hands and eyes busy. He reaches into the space between them, pulls her hands away.

"Look at me."

Warm leather under her chin, her eyes raising at the touch.

She winces again, this time at the haunted look in his eyes. More sadness than she would have expected. Less anger.

She takes the hand under her chin in her own, briefly rubbing the grooves of his knuckles, before placing his hand on his own chest, spreading her fingers over his.

She looks over his shoulder, down the dim hallway. A door opens and a boy, older than he looks, walks out. He looks at her, and heads the other direction.

She looks back into his eyes, and leans forward. He bends toward her, automatically. She takes his face in her silk hands, kisses his lips quickly.

Vision blurring, she releases him, and turns away.

"Keep in touch?" he asks hoarsely.

She nods quickly, harshly, and bites her lip, something she always does when she lies.

He closes his eyes, and gives her a gentle push towards her open door.

By the time he opens his eyes, her door is closed.