Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: **indicated dreams** {indicated telepathy}

Chapter One


**The furious snarl and panic filled screams echoed along the stone and steel corridor filling the small, dark, dank little room where four young children huddled in terror. Like most nights the sounds of the snarl and screams reverberated through those encased within the man-made prisons, tonight however the screams weren’t of the Father, instead they belonged to those in the white coats and the green uniforms.

Hazel eyes streaked with sky blue, and blood red flashed into the darkness even as the small body shuddered at the sounds of bones breaking and metal grating over calcium. With the sounds came terror and natural bone claws, small, lethal, slid out of their sheaths to scrape along the cement floor.

The answering growl from within the tiny body was filled with banked rage, terror, hatred, and an unnamed emotion that given time would develop into something much more dangerous that mindless rage. It would give her an edge; it would rid her of fear. The sudden absence of sound from up the corridor had the four kids moving back into the darkness to huddle closer together even as the stench of blood, feces, urine, and the acrid smell of liquid adamantium filled the air.

The steady dripping of water onto concrete was the only break to the monotony of the silence. The only indication of life beyond the pounding of four small hearts in the darkness..**



Jerking upwards she swallowed at the urge to throw up and growled. How like the night to bring the horrors of her world crashing down around her again, she thought before rising to her feet and leaving the relative safety of her lair.

Lifting her head to the wind she inhaled the rich smell of pine, fur, and free flowing water. Smiling slightly she shifted and cracked her neck even as the faint smell of smoke reached her senses.

Moving through the darkness she paused at the edge of the forest to watch the unfolding scene before her. A large, dark jet sat parked not far from where she stood and in the distance she could clearly see the pale hair of a woman who was bringing the heavens down on a military base.



The thick choking smoke from the burning structure crept through the facility even as Rogue moved toward a locked door. She could clearly hear the sounds of life from behind it and she was anxious to find any mutant alive. Pulling the door off the rusted and broken hinges she glanced inside only to freeze and curse under breath as she realized just what was staring back at her.

The upturned faces of several small children bore the marks of abuse, cuts, bruises, gaunt expressions filled with fear. Some of the children had scales, others had fur, and all bore brands marking them for life as mutants, as lab projects.

“We don’t have a whole lot more time,” Logan ground out coming up behind Rogue only to swear as he realized what he was seeing. “Holy shit, they’re babies.”

“Yeah,” Rogue snarled angrily, “Six kids and not one a day over four would be my guess.”

“And educated one at that,” Logan replied even as he wrinkled his nose at the rapidly approaching wave of smoke. “Come on we’ve got to get them out of here. The smoke’s gonna be on us momentarily. Grab a couple of ‘em and lets make tracks.”

With a quick movement of her arm, Rogue picked up two of the smallest children and handed them to Logan before grabbing a small girl who looked like she was unable to walk. A few seconds later; the other three children were moving along between them, she followed Logan out into the night and relative safety.

With the kids hunkered together between them, Logan and Rogue made it to the safety of the Blackbird seconds before the lab exploded into a fireball. Intent on getting the children to safety neither saw the cloaked figure that stood in the shadows, watching, waiting until long after the jet had disappeared into the night.


Staring into the flames of her small campfire the figure listened to the wind even as she stared into the past, her past; her eyes filling with a curious sort of bloodlust at the remembered horrors that had been such a large part of her life.

Cruel laughter, bone searing pain, and blood curdling screams filled her memory, images of children brutalized, buried alive, of girls her own age, her cage mates being brutally raped by gangs of guards, drew upon her hatred until her body began to shake.

The Father had escaped killing many of them. She did not hold it against him, he had been a prisoner same as she, as they. She did not believe he was even aware of them, for she had only seen him twice herself. It was his escape that had ultimately ensured their own. Oh no, it was the monster’s fault, they brought the pain, the blood, the misery, the monsters in the white coats were the ones who’d filled her young body with the metal she now carried, the metal she’d given life to. It was the monsters in the green that had beaten her again and again, leaving scars on her mind and soul, and hatred in her body.

She wished briefly to have them before her so she could feast upon them but quickly pushed that thought away. The Father had wielded out the justice they deserved, her mission now was clear. She must protect the chosen mate of the Father, even if it meant her own death. With a quick, decisive nod and a low purr of contentment she smiled slightly into the darkness. Yes, yes that is what she would do. She would find them and protect them as soon as it was light out. For now though she would hunt, she would feed, and she would enjoy the scent, the taste of blood, the thrill of the chase.



Chapter Two


“Thankfully we were able to erase most of their bad memories,” Charles sighed a sadness clinging to him, “What sort of monster would do such things to children?”

“Kind that wears a uniform,” Logan replied from where he leaned against the wall nonchalantly, his right hand resting on Rogue’s shoulder unconsciously. “Most of ‘em are probably the result of sexual abuse, kept only because of their potential for exploitation.”

“How cruel,” Storm moaned softly, her eyes swimming with tears. “They’re all so young, so innocent.”

“Far from innocent ‘Ro,” Logan replied seriously, “Innocence doesn’t last more than a night or two in those places. Your body ain’t your own, regardless of age or gender.”

“For anyone?” Scott paled at the thought as his gaze met Logan’s through the haze of red he saw every time he opened his eyes.

“Anyone,” Logan shrugged coldly, “That’s the reality of a lab Scooter. There you are nothing more than a project, what happens to you is irrelevant as long as you’re alive enough for the doctors to get their results.”

“We have to stop them,” Scott turned to Charles, “We can’t let this continue..”

“We shall do all we can,” Charles promised knowing that everyone felt the same way. It was hard to remain impassive in the face of knowing that the military used children to experiment upon. “We’ll stop them, children are meant to be treasured not tortured.”

Glancing at Rogue out of the corner of his eye Logan noted the look on her face, noted the silent tears she refused to shed and knew what she understood what he hadn’t said. He hoped she knew she could turn to him if she needed to, he wouldn’t judge her, wouldn’t push her aside even knowing that she had knowledge of those places the same as he did.
That it was his memories was irrelevant, instead it melded them together in ways normal couples didn’t have.

“So what’s the plan? Are we turning these kids over to the authorities?” Rogue asked softly, her voice filled with sadness and empathy.

“I’ve made arrangements for an old friend of mine to take them. She’ll care for them until a more permanent arrangement can be made. Logan, you and Storm will transport the children to Seattle Washington, where you’ll meet Claire who will take over the care of the children.”

“Professor, I think I should go as well. They’re more familiar with me than with ‘Ro,” Rogue stated calmly, “its best not to stir them up too much I would think.”

“Indeed you are correct. All three of you will leave tomorrow morning. I expect it will take no more than four days to get there, perhaps a day or so to get them settled and then four days return drive.”

“Be ready to leave at five,” Logan stated squeezing Rogue’s shoulder before slipping soundlessly from the room, a tension to his rather impressive frame that didn’t bode well.

Following him with her gaze Rogue knew the Danger Room would be occupied for several hours at the least and felt her heart break a little more for the man she loved. It seemed everything was another blow to his carefully crafted world.

With quick, efficient movements the team filed out of Charles’s office leaving him alone to stare out the window. Each mission where young children were involved always struck him a little harsher, a little deeper than he let on. It had been years since he’d witnessed such brutality, such lack of regard for life and it hurt on a deep level that it appeared that mankind had not learned from its own history.

Feeling sickened and angered he swore under his breath, he would do whatever he had to to keep the children within these walls safe – even if it meant shedding blood. He knew his team was good, but many did not have the bloodlust that Logan and Rogue alone demonstrated. Determination hardened within him as he swore he would do whatever it took to stop these atrocities against their kind by a few.


Hunkered down on the stone wall hazel, blue and red eyes watched the dark van loaded with children roll out of the garage bay and pause. Astute eyes noted the Father drove, his chosen one next to him, and the subservient female sat in back with the children.

A low purr drifted away on the breeze, even as the crouched figure rose to her full height, a pair of silvery, shimmering wings spread to their fullest extent from under the threadbare cloak. A moment later she was soaring along the dark ribbon of the highway, the van a small speck beneath her.

Resting only when the van stopped she kept pace with it even as they rolled into the yard of an elegant house not far from the soft waves of the ocean. Perching atop a huge tree she settled against the trunk to watch over the house until those who were hers to watch over came out.


“Charles called ahead and explained that he would be sending six children this time,” the tall, stately woman with dark red hair pulled away from her face smiled at the trio in her study. “He explained that these children have had a difficult time.”

“Uh yeah,” Logan shrugged an uneasy feeling sticking to his mind and his skin, one that had started back in New York. “Damn labs are getting ‘em younger every time.”

“Why don’t we all sit down,” Claire invited sinking into a high backed chair. “It would certainly appear to be the case. This is the fourth group of children that Charles has sent my way. My network allows me to get them to a much more permanent facility with the utmost circumspection. This group will remain here until they are older.”

“That’s agreeable,” Storm stated quietly glancing at Logan and Rogue. “I am certain that the children will be happy here.”

“Their safety is important to,” Rogue stated calmly, “They need a place to recoup, to grow into healthy people.”

“They will be well protected. Charles need not worry. I will do my best to care for them, and I have allies that are powerful. Too powerful for even those who would capture and sell mutants to bother.”

“Then we have an understanding,” Logan grunted before rising to his feet, “C’mon, we have a long way to go.”

“Before you head back to New York, might I ask a favor,” Claire rose smoothly and met his gaze. “My people would be too obvious and I have received some rather disturbing news. In the Warehouse District it’s been alleged that there is a group there that’s been organizing a rather large auction. Would you be willing to check it out?”

“Auction?” Storm asked softly a frown on her face even as she glanced at Logan and Rogue who seemed to know more than she did.

“Mutant auction,” Rogue explained softly, “Groups of humans capture mutants and sell them into slavery. They prefer young, healthy kids over older, more experienced mutants because they’re easier to control. It’s as illegal as hell but nobody says a word about it.”

“Because they’re mutants for sale,” ‘Ro gaped at the young woman.

“Yes.”

“What happens to those who get sold?” Rogue asked glancing at Logan quickly before away. She needed to know, needed to reinforce her own good luck with what she saw in the world. She needed him to understand just what he’d saved her from as well because she saw a hero not a villain.

“Death if he or she’s lucky,” Logan ground out reaching for a cigar, “A lab, a bar, a filthy little room in some run down shit-hole where anyone with ten dollars can take ‘em for a spin,” Logan glanced at the three women, “They become disposable.”

With a shudder Rogue moved closer to Logan, “That’s what could’ve happened to me isn’t it?”

“If I hadn’t stopped,” Logan shrugged and looked down at her, “Now, there ain’t nothing on earth that’s gonna put you there. I wouldn’t let that happen.”

“You seem well acquainted with how things work,” Claire commented quickly.

“Spent a stint in a lab. You learn pretty quickly there that your life is no longer your own. I’ll check it out,” Logan growled as he grabbed his lighter and lit the cigar.

“I’m coming with you,” Rogue stated calmly looking him in the eye. “I can help.”

“You ain’t bait kid,” Logan snarled angrily.

“No I’m not. But I remember what those kids looked like,” Rogue sighed and glanced away before looking back at him. “I need to do this.”

“Stay close to me and be prepared for anything. Don’t talk, don’t look, for all intents and purposes you’re blind and mute. Show no reaction no matter what you hear, you understand me?”

“Yes Logan.”

“What should I do?” Storm interjected.

“Let Chuck know what’s happening. We may need backup before the nights over,” Logan replied as he stalked out the door, Rogue on his heels.

Watching the pair leave Storm shivered at the barely controlled rage that raced over their spirits, licking at their control like a living, breathing dragon.


Perking up when the Father and his Chosen One exited she watched them as they got into a run down jeep and headed out onto the main street. Taking to the air she followed them silently, being careful to stay out of sight on the darkened streets.

When they stopped at a warehouse she dropped to the ground and followed them inside, her steps silent, deadly – a predator on the trail of its prey. Eyes hardened by life scanned the room, assessing the threat even as they kept the pair in sight. Finding a dark corner she moved into it and waited, watched the pair she was following.

The narrow entrance of the place gave way to the open expanse of the warehouse. Dirty windows lined the top of the building, and armed guards moved along steel walkways, their gazes scanning the floor, the bodies in the cages that lined the walls.

Thick piles of sawdust covered the bottoms of the cages, and water containers sat in the corners of each holding pen. Each pen itself held five or more mutants, some with obvious mutations, and others that it would never have been known. Each one was young, there wasn’t a mutant over thirty within the thousand or so bodies, and there were several small babies, probably no more than a year old as well.

Young girls with breasts painted and tags about their necks were being led from cages to the center of the room where a thin, greasy looking little man stood eying each one.

Shuddering at the way he touched the girls, at the way he laughed when they protested however feebly Rogue moved closer to Logan and swallowed against the rising disgust.

“This place is repulsive,” Rogue whispered so softly that no one would have heard her.

“Yep,” Logan’s gaze scanned the room, counting guards, checking weapons, picking up on those who were military, his mind and body not liking what he was seeing. There were too many for them to take, they would need help.

“Checkin’ out the merchandise huh?” the low humor filled chuckle drew their attention to a robust little man with long, greasy hair, his grin revealed rotten, tobacco stained teeth and gums. “She’s young huh, real young. ‘Bout five is as close as we can figure but that don’t matter none. Put one of these here collars on her and you can do pretty much anything you want to her,” the man held up a small, leather collar reminiscent of a dog’s collar.

“What’s her mutation?” Logan ground out.

“Don’t know yet,” the man spat a mouthful of tobacco juice on the child who flinched but didn’t move or cry out, “Her dam’s a mind bender. Came outta Oshawa Center about four months ago. She’s healthy, and still a virgin, when she gets a little older she’ll be a good distraction for the rest of the lab rats,” the man chuckled and winked at Logan like he was sharing a secret, “From what I understand her dam was.”

Rogue swallowed harshly against the nausea even as her gaze scanned the room. Catching a pair of hazel and red flecked eyes she felt a chill race over her before a steadying calm. Lowering her gaze she moved slightly closer to Logan and became what he’d told her, invisible.



Chapter Three

Settling the jet down Scott glanced at Jean, Gambit, Hank, and Colossus as they hurried off the jet. The place they were headed was a few miles to the east and they knew they had to get there and fast. Logan would no doubt be enraged by the suffering of children and that was what Storm and Claire were certain were held there.

“Wonder how Logan and Rogue are doing,” Jean muttered softly as she glanced at Scott as he secured the plane. The distinct sounds of explosions tearing through the darkness and alerting them that their arrival was a bit behind the start of something.

“Probably in the middle of a fight by now,” Scott declared as he smiled tightly at her for a moment before leading the way through the darkness to the warehouse.



The sound of shouting and the furious pinging of bullets flying only angered Wolverine as he pushed Rogue to the ground and snarled at a man who was firing upon them.

“Stay down,” he ordered only to glare at her when she opened her mouth to disagree, “For the love of God woman, just stay put!”

“Fine,” Rogue grumbled as she slid out of sight. She would keep out of sight until the rest of the team showed up then all bets were off.


Snarling at the painful stinging of the bullets that tore into his chest, Wolverine grabbed the man with the semi-automatic gun and threw him at two others heading their way. He smirked in satisfaction at the pain that came off the man as his claws raked over the exposed flesh.

“One down, hundred to go,” Wolverine snarled as he turned his attention toward two men attempting to get the bomb ready to blow the warehouse. Damn idiots didn’t have a clue, but he didn’t care – the ring master’s voice still rang in his ears and he could see the terrified gaze of the young girl that had all but been raped on the ‘block’ by the man who’d bought her.

The smell of her fear, and the distinct sound of a belt being undone had suddenly stopped as the man gasped for a second before collapsing into a twitching heap on the ground, his skin pealing off him like an orange rind.

The sight of it had driven the guards into high alert and everyone had scattered, fearing that it was an attack. The girl had lay sobbing in a little ball until an older girl from the same cage and hurried toward her and drug her back inside before locking the bars in place. Obviously the older one wasn’t as stupid as the humans wanted ‘em to be.




With an angry snarl she hunched down as she watched the two men with rifles approach where the Father had stashed Chosen One. Unfurling her claws she leapt toward them as one drug the young woman out by her hair, his laughter at her struggles bringing the rage out.

With a quick upward stroke, she watched the first man drop to the ground, his body sliced into several pieces. Turning her attention to the other one who still held Chosen One she sneered at him as she advanced, uncaring of the blood that covered her hand, or the sounds of battle around them.

“Play?” she muttered with a twist of her lips. Any other time the look might have been called sexy, at the moment though it showed her lack of complete sympathy for the man holding Chosen One. She would kill him, slowly, painfully and she would lap at his blood as he lay dying. Oh yes, she would welcome the destruction of this monster.

Rogue stared at the cloaked figure that moved slowly, steadily toward her and the man holding her. Something told her not to scream, not to struggle too much, the little voice that sounded very much like Logan in her head told her that the figure would bring a very pain filled death to anyone who got in the way.

Rogue never knew what it was that moved the cloak, whether it was the wind that Storm stirred up or the explosion but she knew she would remember the look of familiar hazel eyes darkened with blue and red streaks as they stared mercilessly at the man holding her.

Struggling slightly, trying to find a weakness she winced at the sharp pain that tore through her as his blade sank into her body. She could feel the cold steel as it buried itself deeper into the soft flesh between her ribs and gasped at the agony.

“Logan,” she whimpered softly even as the figure moved suddenly, jerking her away from her capture and setting her aside. As she slowly slid to the ground Rogue stared in shocked horror as a set of three claws appeared and tore the man’s throat out before the figure bowed over it. The sound of bones breaking filled Rogue’s head even as she saw the figure drop the dead man and lick at her lips.

“Logan, help me please,” she whimpered as her world went black and she sank to the ground, the pain fading into nothingness.


Kneeling next to Chosen One, she reached out and brushed a pale strand of hair from her face even as she assessed the wound with her senses. Jerking her glove off she sighed, it would make her worthless in the eyes of the monsters but it would save her from a fate worse than death. She watched as the flesh on her fingers began to crawl, to shift until the living metal within her was on the outside, feeling the familiar warmth of it she leaned forward slightly and touched the pale face she stared at.

The feeling of her life flowing out of her was painful, a screaming, burning agony that stole away her breath yet she refused to move, refused to let go. Chosen One needed a chance to have life, and she had so much to spare.

The minute Chosen One’s breathe evened out from the raspy, broken gasping of death, she let go and stumbled to her feet. Taking several deep breath’s she closed her eyes for a second as she let her body adjust to the drain.

The searing agony of a bullet tearing through her right wing drew a snarl and she whirled to face the threat. Narrowing her eyes she stared into the shocked gaze of the young man holding a rifle.

“You should’ve killed her, not saved her,” the man spat out, “Filthy mutants.”

“Monster,” the low growl drew fear from the man like blood from a wound and she moved slowly toward him, stalking him, anticipating the kill. With each step he took backwards she took one forward until she was within arm’s reach of him. Grabbing his throat she pulled him closer to her, her eyes flashing.

“Monster,” the guttural growl was filled with banked rage and hatred even as she shoved him against the wall and reached into her waistband. A moment later he was screaming in agony as she sunk a second blade through his body, pinning him against the wall.

His grey eyes stared in horror at the appearance of a claw, “You’re one of ‘em to. Too many of you if you ask me,” he ground out through the pain.

The cold, emotionless smile on the face of the mutant before him had his fear jacking up even as he felt the cold tip of metal against the flesh of his face. Screaming as the tip moved he swam within the pain until darkness claimed him.

“Weak,” she muttered and glanced behind her at the woman lying so still on the ground. A moment later she tensed and glanced the other way before leaping onto the top of a stack of crates and waiting, hunched down her gaze steady.


Logan raced around the edge of the building his gaze searching, his nose seeking out the familiar scent that he longed for. He hadn’t heard her scream, hadn’t heard any indication that she’d been found and yet some part of him knew that she’d been located.

His senses told him that the others had arrived and he left the rest of the battle up to them as he went searching. Spotting Rogue on the ground he raced toward her, “No, God no,” he muttered under his breath. “Rogue, darlin’, you okay?” he asked tapping the side of her face gently.

Not getting a response he frowned as his sense of smell told him she’d been touched by at least two men and one woman. With a low, furious snarl his eyes scanned the area, the flames lighting it with a sickly orange glow.

Spotting a body nearby he squinted slightly in shock even as he realized that the body was cut into several pieces, held together only by the flesh still on the bones. The scent of blood was close and he glanced around only to freeze at the image before him.

Dangling a good two feet off the ground a younger man, complete with full regalia of those they were fighting hung off the wall. Two long daggers were drove through him low, where it would inflict pain but not kill, and his face was carved up.

“Dear God what happened to him?” Jean whispered, “Logan what..”

“It wasn’t me,” Wolverine snarled his gaze scanning the area for the person responsible. “We have to get Rogue out of here.”

“Storm’s bringing in the jet. What are we going to do with all these mutants? There are at least a thousand of them,” Scott stated looking around at the huddled masses.

“Most of them have been on the circuit long enough to know nothing but this life. Those that are really young need a safe place to be,” Logan rose with Rogue in his arms, she felt slightly heavier but he put it off to his imagination. “Call Claire, she’ll know what to do with them.”

“I’m already here,” the soft voice had them glancing at the red-haired woman. “My people will handle the mop up, thank you.”

“No problem,” Logan drawled and shifted Rogue closer to his chest before turning to walk away.

“He’s not much on pleasantries is he?” Claire asked with a soft smile.

“No ma’am,” Scott shrugged, “He isn’t.”

“Go on, get out of here,” Claire said watching Logan disappear into the darkness with his burden. “We can take it from here.”


Taking to the air, she soared above those who were rapidly approaching the black figure of the jet. Landing where she could clearly see them, she waited. Her gaze steady, her nerves settling as Father and Chosen One disappeared into the belly of the jet before it took off.

With a faint, almost human smile she rolled her shoulders. She knew where they were going and she could take her time getting there. Glancing at the now healed spot on her wing she growled, those people deserved to die.. The thought trailed off and she shrugged no point in worrying about it. Her watch was over here.


Chapter Four:

“Her vitals are all normal,” Jean sighed as she watched Logan pacing the confines of the conference room, “I don’t understand why she’s not waking up.”

“Maybe they hit her with some sort of drug,” Logan ground out his mind on Rogue and not really on what Jean’s concerns were.

“I’d have picked it up in the blood work. No whatever’s happening within her body is something I’ve never seen before.”

“There’s a lot you ain’t seen,” Logan snarled angrily.

“Yes there is Logan, but this is something that none of us have dealt with before.”

“Just like a doctor, don’t know jack shit.”

“Did you touch her again?” Scott demanded.

“No I did not!” Logan snarled at him, “And even if I had it wouldn’t be any of your damn business..”

“Then we have to figure this out. Could just be her body is going through a new phase. We have no idea what her mutation will do,” Jean stated ignoring Logan’s fury as best she could as she met Charles’ gaze.

“Fuckin’ quack,” Logan muttered and stomped out of the room. He would go sit with her, watch over her until she awoke, it was that or gut Jean and he didn’t think that would get him any brownie points.


Blinking Rogue stared at the ceiling above her and frowned. The lights hurt her eyes, and the steady hum of something right next to her ear was annoying. Taking a deep breath her frown deepened as she realized she was somewhere medical, the smell of antiseptic and latex was overpowering.

Fighting the fear she tensed at the sound of an approaching heartbeat even as her mind raced, easing her fear as she recognized the sound, recognized the distinct pattern and a smile graced her face.

Turning her head she watched the doors open and Logan step inside, a dark, furious set to his features as he glanced behind him. The look softened, smoothed out as soon as he turned toward her.

“Hey, you’re awake.”

“Just,” Rogue whispered softly as the sound of his voice reverberated through her. “What happened?”

“Don’t know exactly,” Logan frowned as he noted the way she was flinching at the sound of his voice and lowered it dramatically. “You remember anything.”

“A hooded figure, she cut him up,” Rogue frowned, her whisper achingly soft. “He stabbed me Logan,” her gaze shot to his and she reached for her side where she’d been stabbed. There was no mark, no indication of a wound and she sat up slowly, relying on Logan who was immediately next to her helping her.

“You’re all healed,” Logan smiled softly, “Must be why you didn’t wake up. Your body was working overtime to heal the wound.”

“I thought I was dead,” she whispered staring at him. “I couldn’t even fight them; it was like I was watching her.”

“Her? Who?”

“I don’t know,” Rogue stared at him, “Her eyes though I remember them.”

“What did they look like?”

“Like yours only with blue and red mixed in; they were so hard, so cold, and filled with this hatred that ran so deep it was almost like I could’ve touched it,” Rogue whispered staring at Logan. “Maybe I just imagined the whole thing.”

“Shh, don’t doubt yourself,” Logan whispered leaning against her temple where her hair protected them, “Come on, lets get out of here and you can get some rest.”

“I’ve been sleeping,” Rogue protested as Logan swept her into his arms.

“This ain’t a place for rest, it’s for healin’. You’re healed now; you just need some sleep and something to eat. Once you’re tucked in I’ll bring you something to eat.”

Rogue nodded, something told her not to argue with Logan, he was determined and whatever had happened had obviously thrown him for a loop. She hid her shock as best she could when he deposited her in his room, tucking her into his bed before departing to get her something to eat.

Sitting there she plucked at the comforter, the soft whisper in the back of her head growing steadily louder. Rubbing at her temple, Rogue frowned as she realized her bare fingers weren’t rubbing flesh, they were rubbing something smooth, hard, and definitely metallic.

Opening her eyes she stared at her fingers as the silvery metal seemed to slip back through the pours. Swallowing harshly she tossed the covers back and raced into the bathroom to stare into the mirror.

Hazel flecked eyes stared back at her along with the thin line of silver that trailed from her temple around her right eye and down to her jaw. Reaching up to touch it she licked her suddenly dry lips as she realized that the metal retreated under her skin.

“Nooo,” she whimpered softly as she scratched at it, her nails tearing flesh that repaired itself immediately. She’d obviously taken so much of Logan that she’d stolen his very skeleton. Swallowing against the rising nausea Rogue gripped the edge of the sink and gasped for breath.

{You didn’t take anything from the Father. He is well, so are you Chosen One.} The whisper drifted through her mind and she glanced up expecting to see someone behind her.

{Who are you? What do you want?} Rogue cried out in her mind, {Go away!}

{I cannot do that. I must protect you. The Father has chosen you.}

{Father?} Rogue bit her tongue to stop the hysterical giggle from escaping, {Oh God I’m going insane}

{No, Chosen One. The Father worships you, therefore you must be saved. The metal has blended with you; no one can hurt you now.}

“Metal,” Rogue whipped around to stare into the mirror and noted her green eyes were back, with one exception. The right iris was more grey than green, and there appeared to be a small, tear shaped drop of metal at the corner of her eye.

Reaching up she clawed at it, tearing the flesh to get at the metal and tear it out. Gasping she looked around for something to help her with the removal and spotted the straight razor that Logan used.

“What the fuck are you doing?” Logan’s low growl echoed a second after his hand had grabbed her wrist as it drew a second line down her face.

“It’s in me!” Rogue panted, “I took too much! I stole your skeleton.”

“What are you talkin’ about?” Logan pulled her against his chest, “Relax Marie. I’ve got you. You must have been dreaming.”

“I’m not,” Rogue sobbed suddenly and met his gaze in the mirror. “Touch my face.”

With a slight frown, Logan did as she asked and watched the flesh begin to crawl, and thick, grey ooze appeared forming a solid metallic mask along the right side of her face where he’d touched her with the leather of his gloves.

“Holy shit,” Logan gaped, tracing over the mask. “I’ll get Jeannie.”

“NO! No more monsters!” Rogue screamed at him, pushing him back against the door. Staring at him she blinked and stepped back her hands covering her mouth in shocked horror, “It was her Logan. It was her!”

“Her who?” Logan pulled her tighter against his chest as she sobbed.

“The voice in my head. She said I was chosen of the Father. I don’t want anyone’s ‘Father’ choosing me Logan. I just want to have what I’ve got.”

“Shh,” with a soft sound Logan rocked her steadily, the sounds of her sobs loud in the small room. “Nobody’s Father is gonna do a damn thing to you. I won’t let that happen,” he promised quickly, firmly.

Rogue nodded and clung to him, her sobs tearing at her throat as she stood in his embrace.

{You have chosen the Father as well,} the soft whisper echoed in her mind. {They could not make him into a monster. You chose well.} Like smoke through a keyhole the whisper filled Rogue’s head and she burrowed deeper into Logan’s chest. She wouldn’t let anyone, or anything take over her mind and force his presence out. Not after she’d fought with the other voices in there to keep him.

“Shh,” Logan tightened his grip, “I’ve got you darlin’, and I ain’t about to let go anytime soon.”

Rogue nodded slowly as Logan moved them back into the bedroom. She clung to his hand as he tucked her back into bed and curled up next to her. Closing her eyes she slid into an uneasy sleep, fearing the voice would return, fearing that some nameless stranger would come and snatch her from the man she loved.


Chapter Five

The chill of a rainy day did little to disturb her as she sat unnoticed in the branches of the large tree that over looked the mansion. The night before had been profitable, she’d fed well and now she would wait and watch.

Lifting her head she sniffed and growled at the familiar stench of military as it approached. Turning she glared at the jeep that rolled to a stop in front of the gates. When the gates opened slowly and the jeep rolled through she narrowed her eyes and stretched out her wings.

Monsters would hurt Chosen One and Father and she needed to be close to protect them. Gathering herself she waited, watched as the vehicle stopped and two men and a woman got out.

Narrowing her eyes she watched them approach the door and push the button by the door. The faint sound of the doorbell echoed on the breeze and she waited. She would know if there was a problem, know before anyone else and she would react.


Glancing at Rogue Logan eyed the trio that sat in Charles office, they reeked of military, and more importantly at least one of them worked in a lab if the scents coming off her were any indication.

“Colonel you can understand my hesitation,” Charles stated calmly, “I have seen no such mutant around these parts.”

“Professor Xavier, you must understand she would not be easily spotted. She was trained to be invisible in the middle of a crowded room,” the woman stated calmly. “However she is extremely dangerous, and since she is no longer under any form of control we must alert all the residents to her presence.”

“Does she have a name?” Logan asked smoothly, his voice hard, cold.

“No,” the woman shook her head, “She does not. Only a number,” with a shrug the woman met his gaze before turning back to the man behind the desk, “You must understand she is not a living breathing entity, she’s a weapon.”

Rogue grabbed Logan’s hand to stop his advancement on the trio and squeezed, she knew that the woman’s words had been cold, impersonal, and filled with disgust – she just had no desire to start a war in the Professor’s office.

“Later,” she whispered so softly no one but Logan caught it. A brief nod and the flicker of his eyes was her only indication of agreement or disagreement and she let go of his hand.

“What is this ‘weapon’ doing loose then?” Charles inquired without glancing at Logan; he could feel the man’s rage boiling, feel Rogue’s disgust and dismay but refused to allow them to act upon their emotions just yet.

“She escaped,” the woman stated. “She was not released. Some stupid young private allowed her to escape and now we must recapture her. If she is not caught you will see a sudden increase in the death rate around here.”

“So she’s a killer than?”

“Aren’t they all?” the woman smiled at the young girl. “There isn’t a mutant out there that isn’t a killer. They want nothing more than to wipe humans out completely. We must protect innocent lives, and that means recapturing this, this weapon.”

“I see,” Rogue nodded and rose to move to stare out the window, “So what are her weaknesses? What could be used to get her to lower her guard?”

“She was not made to have weaknesses,” the older, well dressed, well decorated man in a green dress suit stated. “She was created to kill the enemy.”

“She must have something that makes her weak?”

“No,” the woman shook her head, “Her body absorbed the adamantium we attempted to graft to her skeleton, thus altering her physically. She has no weaknesses, physically. Mentally she’s programmed to kill and that’s it. Anything else and she’s not able to deal with it.”

“Then that would be a weakness,” Rogue stated and glanced at Charles.

~They will kill anyone who gets in the way,~ Rogue sent a mental message to Charles. ~They want to kill all mutants.~

~I know.~ Charles sighed and looked at the grainy picture on his desk, “Could I keep this? I will give you a call as soon as I see her?”

“Thank you Professor,” the trio rose smoothly to their feet. “We do appreciate you taking the time to talk to us. With so many youngsters in your care, it would make sense that you would welcome the chance to keep a dangerous mutant away from them.”

With a smile Charles nodded and watched as the trio left his office. The minute the door closed and he felt they were far enough away he sent out a mental message to the rest of the team to come to his office.


“What do you think?” the low, gravelly voice drawled as the trio approached the jeep.

“I think there’s at least one mutant hiding here,” the woman replied turning to face the two men. “I’m not entirely sure he knows it though. My recommendation is for you to put this place on our regular surveillance.”

“I’ll do that as soon as we get back to base,” the colonel drawled and slid into the jeep his gaze cold on the mansion. He would not let them win this war, not for anything.



Chapter Six

Glancing at a sleeping Logan, Rogue sighed and donned her sandals before slipping out of their bedroom. Ever since their return from Seattle, she’d taken to sleeping with him, an unreasonable fear that he’d vanish haunting her.

Slipping out into the night air she inhaled deeply and stared up at the dark sky and the winking stars. The new voice in her head hadn’t made another appearance and she had put it down to nerves and fear.

Shifting she wrapped her arms around herself and glanced across the grass of the lawn. Frowning as she realized she’d caught the tail end of movement she glanced once behind her before hurrying off the balcony via the fire-escape and onto the ground.

Moving stealthily through the darkness she stopped near the trees and glanced around, every instinct within her telling her that there was someone there. That she wasn’t alone, yet she felt no fear, only a calm sense of recognition.

“Whose there?” she called softly, only to hear the wind in the trees as her only answer. “Look I’m not going to hurt you. You’re safe here,” she stated calmly, “Come on out. Nobody’s gonna hurt you.”

The soft rustle of leaves had her glancing up into the pair of multi-colored eyes that stared at her from a branch above her head. Gasping as recognition set in Rogue stepped back and eyed the shadow, “You gonna come down from there so we can talk?” she asked and the figured growled low, softly.

“I can’t talk to you up there,” Rogue said softly glancing once behind her at the mansion. “And there isn’t anyone else up at this time of night so you’re safe.”

“Monsters,” the single word sent a chill through Rogue as she nodded and shrugged.

“There are monsters yes, but there are some really great people here to. We’ll just avoid the monster for now.”

The soft thud of a heavy weight did little to disturb the night’s silence, the night’s peace. The figure that stood before Rogue and stared at her, her head tilted ever so much was slim, young, and appeared innocent yet Rogue knew beyond a doubt that the woman was death on two legs.

“I saw you in Seattle,” Rogue stated calmly, “You touched me.”

The silent shrug was her only response, “Why? What made you touch me?”

“No Monsters,” the slow, steady words eased out along the night’s winds.

Rogue frowned, for some reason she got the impression that the girl saw most people as a monster. “What are monsters?” she asked softly, easing a little further away from the shadowy figure.

“They hurt,” she replied.

“Who are you?” Rogue asked softly only to get a noncommittal grunt that was only too familiar. “What are you?”

“Weapon,” the soft reply held no rancor, it was merely the statement of a fact. The sudden tensing of muscles and the woman stepped back into the shadows, disappearing as easily as a puff of smoke.

Turning around sharply Rogue glared at the approaching woman, the moon catching the lights of the mansion. Swearing softly under her breath, Rogue opened her senses letting everything wash over her even as she realized that Jean was pissed.

“Somethin’ you wanted Jean?” Rogue asked tiredly.

“What on earth are you doing out here at this hour?” Jean demanded of the young woman.

“Talkin’ to a friend of mine,” Rogue replied waspishly. “Why you want to hold my hand?”

“It’s two in the morning Rogue; you should be in your bed sleeping.”

“I was sleeping then I woke up,” Rogue replied and glanced around in the darkness, something telling her that the woman who’d come out of the trees watched them closely, and watched Jean especially. Wondering if she should let the red-head get her booty kicked Rogue sighed before glaring at Jean for a moment then stalking back across the grass, “You sure you don’t want to come tuck me in?” she snapped as she hurried back toward the mansion.

“Don’t be ridiculous Rogue, it’s late, and it’s dangerous to be out alone when you don’t have to be.”

Shaking her head Rogue slipped silently back into the mansion and glared at the resident doctor. With a sickeningly sweet smile Rogue turned and headed for the dorm with Jean hot on her heels.

Opening Logan’s bedroom door Rogue glanced at Jean and noted the woman’s jaws clench even tighter before she smiled and slipped inside, leaving her nemesis fuming in the hallway.

“Where you been?” Logan’s half asleep grunt had her grinning.

“Just talkin’ to a friend,” Rogue whispered crawling back into bed next to him. “The girl that those lab runners were after.”

“She’s here?” Logan tensed as he opened his eyes and stared at her.

“Probably right outside the window,” Rogue replied seriously. “She’s not exactly easy to spot. Whatever they did, whatever they tried to make her into she’s not exactly a dangerous monster.”

“What did she say?”

“Something about monsters,” Rogue replied snuggling into him, “And she doesn’t like Dr. Grey.”

“Mmph, you think she’ll behave herself?”

Rogue sighed softly and glanced at the window, “I think she’s about as dangerous as they said Logan, but she’s after monsters not mutants.”

“Monsters?” Logan sat up and stared down at her shock in his expression.

“Yeah, that’s what she said. She calls everyone Monsters.”

“What do Monsters do Rogue?” Logan shifted, tossing the covers off the bed and pacing back and forth a memory tickling at the back of his mind.

“They bring pain,” she replied softly. “Why?”

“Doctors, she’s talking about the Military doctors,” Logan hissed. “She remembers the lab.”

“Oh my God!” Rogue gaped at him. “How do you know?”

“I remember someone saying something about the white clad monsters,” Logan admitted as Rogue stood in front of him staring at him, “A real big guy, dark hair, I remember his voice but that’s about it.”

Rogue shivered, “Maybe she’ll come in, and maybe you can talk to her.”

“No.” Logan shook his head and stared at her. “She’s got to deal with her own demons Rogue, talking to me isn’t going to answer any questions either of us have.”

“What does that mean? Does it mean you’re leaving in the morning?”

“I don’t know,” Logan replied softly. “I really don’t know. I think we need to find out as much about this Weapon as we can.”

“Weapon? That’s what she calls herself, what she says is her name.”

Logan sighed and shook his head, things were getting complicated and he wondered just how much longer it would be before the new ‘weapon’ would snap. He wouldn’t allow his Rogue to get hurt no matter what, even if it meant facing a nearly indestructible mutant.

“Come back to bed Logan,” Rogue smothered a slight yawn, “We’ll figure this out in the morning.”



From where she perched on the ledge outside she tensed at the mention of the other mutant. If it was who she thought it was, perhaps her closest litter-mate was still alive and functioning. Where would he possibly be? What would be his turf?

“North,” she muttered under her breath and spread her wings. With the quick, agility of a born athlete she took to the night sky in search of a mysterious shadow from the past. She would find him and she would bring him here to help in protecting the Chosen of the Father.


Chapter Seven


The soft crunch of frozen leaves filled the air as she walked through the semi-darkness. Her gaze scanned the area; her ears were pricked for maximum detection as she moved through the trees. Somehow she knew she must start looking for her litter-mate here in the place they separated, the place she took to the skies.

Walking through the trees as the light began to grow until the soft sunlight filtered through the branches to mottle the forest floor with its pale color, she surveyed the area. It was obvious the male had not been here recently but there was the possibility of a clue to where he was and she would find it.

The low angry hiss of a masculine growl had her tensing a moment before she hit the ground face first, a heavy, immovable weight crushing down upon her. With an angry snarl she twisted under her attacker and got one hand free before slashing at him clumsily.

Rolling, twisting she jumped to her feet as he moved back and dropped into a fighting stance, her teeth bared in a blatant challenge. Staring into the hazel eyes of the figure before her she growled low in her chest and flexed her claws.

“Play?” she muttered softly, angrily.

The single word obviously had an affect on the male before her as he rose to his feet and stared down at her coldly. With a low growl he turned only to be jerked back off his balance and stare into her eyes.

“Fight?”

The sudden shake of his head and she released him and backed away. A low grunt and a quick sudden sniff and he relaxed visibly. “You go far. Why come back?”

“Found Father,” she replied seriously her gaze steady, her posture relaxing slowly.

“He like us?”

She shook her head and smiled, “Found mate. Found Chosen One.”

The startled look on the male’s face drew a grin even as she moved toward him, “Monsters have come. We must protect.”

With a low angry snarl the male nodded, “Kill monsters.”

“We kill them all.”

“How we get there?”

“Run,” she replied seriously and pointed south. “This way.”

Nodding the male fell into step with her, they had a long journey to make and a job to do. The familiar tickling of their ‘programming’ echoed with their minds. The army had made them to kill and they would do that – even if it wasn’t who the army had in mind.




“I can’t believe that she’s been here and you just let her leave,” Jean gaped at Rogue as they sat in the office of the professor. “There are two hundred students here and you’re letting a psychotic monster walk around.”

“She isn’t a monster,” Rogue snapped glaring at the doctor. “She’s just a scared kid.”

“Scared kid my ass,” Jean snapped pacing the room. “You heard what they said when they were here. You heard just how dangerous she is. Why would you..?”

“She’s here because she found something,” Logan snarled stepping in front of Jean’s path, “And she’s a mutant to you know. Or have you forgotten that?”

“She’s a by product of a lab,” Jean snapped back poking him in the chest. “You can’t tell me that she’s not going to snap..”

“You have no idea what she’s even after,” Rogue snarled at Jean ignoring the silent members of the team that filled the room. “She’s here because she wants to protect not harm.”

“She’s too dangerous. She can’t be here, not with this many students.”

“How long has it been since you’ve seen her?” Professor Xavier asked quietly.

“A few days, she doesn’t appear on command you know. She watches a lot.”

“Do you think you could ask her to come inside and talk to us?” Charles asked.

Rogue shrugged and looked at Logan before turning back to him, “No. She says there are too many monsters inside and she doesn’t want to have to deal with them.”

“You see what I mean?”

“Considering she thinks you’re a monster I’d say she’s actually pretty close to being right on the money,” Rogue snapped tensing as Jean made a lunge for her. “Bring it on, bitch.”

“Enough,” Charles glared at Jean for a moment, “Rogue could you find out what she wants? Find out what it is that she’s waiting for?”

“She’s watching the Chosen of the Father,” Rogue replied seriously, “She’s taken it upon herself to protect me. I do not know who the father is, and while it creeps me out a little I’m not about to tell the woman she can’t do it. I’ve seen what she’s capable of doing and it isn’t pretty.”

“What is she capable of doing?” Scott asked.

Glancing at Logan Rogue shrugged, “She’s the one who killed those men in Seattle. All of them.”

Paling at the calmly delivered words everyone stared at Rogue but Logan who rubbed her back gently, “She will kill whomever she feels is a threat, or a monster. I don’t think we have any right to pressure her into doing something she won’t feel comfortable doing.”

“But why did she pick you? We need to know who the father figure she’s talkin’ about is. Once we have that information we may have a lot more answers than we’ve got right now.”

Rubbing her face where it itched Rogue frowned even as Logan grabbed her wrist, “What?”

“Take a look,” he muttered turning her head to stare at the mirror on the wall. A shiny layer of metal covered half of Rogue’s face, easing down her throat and over her shoulder.

“Oh my God! What happened to you Rogue? Where did that come from?” Storm gaped at the young woman before her.

“She touched me,” Rogue shrugged and looked at Logan. “She put it inside me.”

“Why?” Logan growled.

“To protect me,” Rogue gaped at him. “She told me she did it because of no monsters. For her the worst thing could be the monsters getting me, with the metal in me I’m no longer a target. In her mind I’ve lost that marketable quality the army was looking for.”

“So she is protecting you,” Logan frowned as he watched Rogue for a moment, “We need to find her. Can you set up a meeting? Would she talk to me do you think?”

“I’ll ask,” Rogue replied with a frown. “You’re not planning on hurting her are you? She didn’t..”

“No, no. I think we just found a way of dealing with the craziness that’s been going on.”

“I’ll see if she’s around tonight.”

With a quick nod Logan smiled softly at her.

“Excellent,” Charles sighed, “Once we have some more information we can make an informed decision.”

“I still say she’s too dangerous of an opponent to have to deal with. What if she doesn’t like the ideas we’ve got? Then we’re gonna have to fight her and there isn’t anyone who can do it.”

“Would you get your head outta your ass?” Logan snarled. “Let Rogue try, she’ll do it.”

With a roll of her eyes and a shrug Jean headed for the door, “Fine, but when she gets hurt don’t come cryin’ to me.”

“We won’t,” Logan replied smoothly. “Come on Rogue, games about to start.”


Chapter Eight

The soft glow of the full moon lit the way as Rogue walked across the yard toward the edge of the trees. Humming softly she wondered if the girl would be there or if she would have to wait for her to come to her.

An unfamiliar growl and the slight shake of the ground drew Rogue’s attention and she shivered in fear. She wondered if Sabertooth was out and about and hoped not, or hoped that even if he was her ‘friend’ would be there.

The hulking shadow that trailed across the moonlight grass slightly in front of her had Rogue shivering and taking her gloves off. She wanted to have some options even as she jumped when a figure appeared right in front of her.

Gasping in shock she smiled at the girl who eyed her with a familiar, assessing glance, “I was beginning to get scared there. Thought there was someone else out here.”

“Is.” The girl pointed behind Rogue and she turned to stare. Her gaze was at level with a man’s stomach, his bare, sculpted stomach.

Glancing upwards Rogue’s eyes widened as she realized that the man stood at least nine inches above Colossus’s head, and was a good deal wider. “Um..”

“Litter-mate..” she turned at the warm sound of acknowledgement. “Mine.”

“Your brother?” Rogue gaped at the tall man, “Wow. Uh are you sure you’re related. Your brother doesn’t say much.”

“Kill monsters. Father here,” the man grunted.

“Who?” Rogue gaped at him.

“We kill all monsters we find,” the girl smirked and held up two chains with dog tags on the end; both tags were covered in dried blood and looked more than a little worse for the wear. “Father here, he like us.”

“The Father will like you for killing those men?” Rogue asked softly taking the tags and staring at them.

With a quick nod the girl grinned, “Yep.”

With a quick grin Rogue looked at her, “Your speech is improving.”

“Talk not so hard,” the girl replied easily, “Talk to litter-mate.”

Rogue nodded and glanced behind her at the mansion, “Look Logan wants to talk. Could you come in and talk to him? He promises he won’t hurt you, he won’t let anyone else hurt you either.”

“No,” the man grunted, “No go in. No come out again.”

With a shrug and a low growl the girl frowned, “Monsters inside, monsters hurt.”

“What if he comes outside?”

“No,” the man shook his head firmly. “Nobody but the Father.”

“You guard,” the girl smacked her brother on the chest, “You watch no let hurt me.”

“You no come out.”

A smile that was more of a smirk and Rogue glanced at the man standing behind her, “Safe.”

With a low rumble of some unnamed emotion the man shrugged his shoulders and nodded before fading away into the darkness as the girl glanced at Rogue, “We go.”

Leading the way, Rogue wondered what would happen with Jean but pushed aside her fears. Jean would control herself during this meeting – even if it meant Rogue had to pound some sense into her.

Pausing at the patio doors Rogue glanced at Weapon and noticed the way her eyes scanned the area searching out any and all signs of entry and exit in a move that told of fear of being trapped.

Opening the door she slipped inside and left it open, a moment later and the soft click told her Weapon had closed the door, putting her trust within Rogue’s gloved hands. Walking across the den she opened the door and stuck her head out before stepping into the hallway and heading for the rec room.

“Logan’s this way. He’ll tell you whatever you want to know,” Rogue stated, sensing the girl following her even if she didn’t hear her.

“Father needs to know,” the girl whispered softly as she stared at the walls around her, eying the pictures, the vases with flowers, the trappings of wealth and social proprieties.

“We’ll tell him,” Rogue smiled softly as she neared the foot of the stairwell. Glancing up she spotted Colossus and wondered what would happen if the tall man saw her ‘friend’. As the tall Russian moved further into site she glanced behind her to see multi-shaded eyes following his movements with predatory thoroughness.

“That’s Colossus,” Rogue stated quietly, calmly, “He’s a friend.”

A quick nod, a quirk of an eyebrow and the girl shifted her stance from offensive to defensive, her guard up as she waited for the man to notice her.

Stepping off the last step he turned and smiled friendly, “Hey Rogue.”

“Peter,” Rogue replied and shifted, “Uh this is my friend Weapon.”

“Nice to meet you,” Colossus said holding his hand out to the young woman eying him with blatant skeptism.

“You’re supposed to shake it,” Rogue whispered softly.

Reaching out she took hold of the offered hand and shook it, jostling the body attached to it as well.

Pulling back slightly, Peter rubbed his shoulder and smiled slightly at the young woman who watched him passively. Something told him that there was more banked rage and violence within her than in Wolverine and Sabertooth put together, “You staying long Weapon?”

“No.”

“Well it was nice to meet you,” Peter declared uneasily, “I’m gonna meet up with Hank and Bobby we’re supposed to have a work out in the Danger Room.”

Rogue nodded, “Sure. Logan’ll probably be down after a while.”

“He’s slated for tonight so I imagine he will be, unless of course he finds something else to do,” Peter teased before slipping past the two women and heading for the elevator. A chill passed over him as he glanced behind him to see the stranger’s eyes on him, their gaze assessing and imposing. Whoever she was, she was a dangerous person.



Crossing the hallway Rogue glanced behind her to the young woman who followed so silently. She noted the way the girl’s gaze kept darting in the direction Peter had disappeared and wondered briefly what it was about the tall, muscular man that drew her attention.

Pausing outside the door she could clearly hear the laughter of her classmates, of her team mates and the sound of a hockey game on. Sucking in a calming breath she smiled at the silent predator behind her and started in the doors.

Pushing it open she stepped into the room, her gaze scanning it quickly even as she became aware of the growing silence. Spotting Logan she moved toward him, feeling a soft brushing against her back as she did so. Glancing over her shoulder she noticed Weapon was half a step behind her, her wings unfurled, her gaze darting around.

“Logan,” she paused next to his chair.

“Yeah Darlin’, fuck that was icing you prick!”

“Logan, can you spare a minute?”

“Sure,” Logan nodded and took another swallow of his beer, “Right after the game okay?”

“No, now,” Rogue reached over and took the remote from his hand to turn the television off. “We have company.”

Glancing up at the sudden realization that a new scent filled the room Logan jerked his head around to stare in shock at the tall, dark haired woman who was eying the rest of the kids in the room like a late night snack. Rising to his feet he frowned at Rogue, “Who is that?”

“My friend,” Rogue whispered back. “She’s got a friend outside waiting, watching.”

“What’s she want?”

“I asked her in to talk to you,” Rogue admitted, “She seemed a bit hesitant, thus she left her littermate outside to watch out for danger. She uh was a bit busy on the way here,” Rogue held up the two dog tags, “The guy she’s got outside is huge. He’d make two of Colossus.”

“Dangerous?”

Rogue smirked, “I’d have to say it’s comparable to you on PMS, having to deal with Scott, and Sabertooth whining about his claws.”

“Hi,” Logan held out his hand and barely contained the wince when the girl took it and shook it. Pulling his hand back he flexed the fingers as he stared at her.

A low, submissive growl was the only response followed by a quick flash of pure rage and the sudden extension of both wings, and a set of claws being extended. Glancing around at the sudden explosion of aggression Logan frowned, the only person to come into the room was Jean.

Rogue glanced at Jean and rolled her eyes, “Hey Jean, come to join the party?”

“Sensed pure fury coming from this direction,” Jean admitted eying the woman who stared at her with pure hostility in her gaze, “Thought maybe Wolverine had lost it.”

“Not hardly,” Logan growled.

“Well I see you got your friend in,” Jean stated, “Did you call the woman?”

“No,” Rogue snapped, “And I don’t have any intentions of doing so.”

“She’s a hazard to everyone here,” Jean replied.

“Monster,” the low, guttural word had everyone shifting as the stranger shifted, moved toward Jean.

“No!” Rogue stopped her with a hand on her arm, “There is no dog tag, no army..”

With a shake of her head the girl shrugged and walked right up to Jean and assessed her easily, familiarly. “I know you.”

“Great,” Jean snapped angrily, “You want to back up?”

“How do you know her?” Logan demanded moving to stand between them.

A twisted, bitter smile was the only response as she shrugged and folded her wings easily, “Monster.”

“You know what I’m gonna go to work. If you can manage not to kill everyone,” Jean snarled, “Let me know.”

Watching as she departed the girl snarled low in her throat.

“Where did you meet Jean?” Rogue asked softly.

“Monsters,” the soft reply held no animosity, no anger. “Like her.”

“The lab?” Rogue gaped at her. “You met her at the lab?”

With a shrug the girl turned back to Logan and eyed him, her posture changing quickly from assertive to submissive. Dropping her gaze she stared at his chest, her claws sliding back in without a sound.

“Why are you here?” Logan demanded eying the rapid change with more than a little curiosity.

“Protect her,” the simple answer drew a few giggles from the other kids.

“From what?”

The girl shrugged and glanced at Rogue who held up the dog tags, “I think I know,” Rogue stated. “They came here looking for her but they’re interested in others to. With this metal within me, I’ve lost my value to the army.”

“Your skin would still be an asset if they gotcha and I won’t let them…”

A low angry snarl and the girl whirled to dart back the way she came. Smashing through the door rather than open it she took to the skies her gaze darting around for the familiar warning howl.

Spotting her littermate eying a familiar shape she growled and dropped down to where he was hunkered. “How many?”

“They have a machine,” the low hiss drew her attention to the silent figure of a tank.

“Can you?’

“Yes. Take her, protect her.”

“Father has her,” came the calm reply. “We need to kill them.”

“We will,” the two words held a calm acceptance and a bitter, deeply ingrained note of rage and hatred that echoed on the darkness.



Chapter Nine


The annoying buzz of the alarm sounded seconds after the girl had disappeared in a flurry of wings, broken glass, and angry snarls. Not taking the time to suit up, Logan followed the girl only to see her take to the skies her accent quick, quiet, the mark of a true predator.

“What’s going on?” the shout came from the garage as Remy, Jubilee, and St. John appeared.

“We’ve got intruders,” Logan snarled as Scott joined them followed quickly by Rogue, Storm, and Jean.

{Military. They have at least one piece of heavy artillery. Western border near the tree line. Some are armed with a heavy sedative.} The warning came a moment after the large boom of something firing.

“Get down!” Logan shouted as he grabbed Rogue and threw her to the ground, pinning her with his weight as the shell hit and exploded feet away from them.

“Damn it, they followed her,” Jean shouted as she struggled to avoid getting hit. “She brought them back down on us.”

“She’s just a kid,” Rogue screamed back, “She doesn’t understand she’s wrong.”

“She’s a grown..” Jean’s tirade was cut short by the sudden and rather loud roar of fury a moment before two black clad military men came soaring through the air to land in a tangled heap near them. Their soft moans of agony were barely heard above the roar of a tank as it plowed through the greenery.

“We have to stop that thing,” Scott said firing at it and cursing the fact that it barely slowed the heavy piece of equipment down.

“Any ideas?” Logan snarled angrily his gaze darting to Rogue and then around them hoping for a sighting of the young woman from earlier.

“If we could plug the barrel..” Scott started.

”What are we gonna use to do that?” Logan demanded even as the tank came to a rumbling stop, his barrel pointed directly at the school.

“We need something metallic that won’t fall to pieces..” Scott paused as he eyed Logan for a moment.

”Get real,” Rogue hissed as she inched closer to Logan. The pain filled scream of a woman echoed through the chaos and everyone turned to see a soldier on the ground, dragging herself away from the battle.

She didn’t get far before the girl landed on her, claws extended. Wincing at the sudden viciousness of the attack, the watched in horror as the girl shredded the woman without a thought before taking to the skies once more.

Ducking at the next round from the tank, they watched as part of the mansion crumbled before a sickening crunch echoed and the tank seemed to shudder. Staring at the rather large boulder that was embedded in it, Logan grinned, “Nice shot Colossus.”

“Thanks, but it didn’t do a bit of good,” he grunted even as he turned to punch the soldier next to him, knocking him back a few feet. “How many of these guys are there?”

“Probably an entire squad,” Storm stated and glanced across the yard even as the skies darkened and the echoed of rolling thunder filled the battlefield.


“Save them,” Weapon ground out as she struggled with a soldier who was trying to choke her. “Stop that thing.”

With a furious growl her littermate glanced between the tank and his family, with a roar he grabbed the man and tossed him before he turned and began advancing on the tank. Paying no attention to those who were fighting in front of the building he tossed anyone who got in his way as he made for the front of the beast.

Stepping in front of the tank he eyed the metallic monster a second before grabbing a hold of it and planting his feet. He wouldn’t let them fall, his sister needed to have this battle, needed to be safe and he wanted revenge for the death of so many.

Feeling his feet sliding in the soft grass he tore into the tank, grabbing two handfuls and lifting. Getting it an inch off the ground he swore as the pressure and the weight held him in place. A moment later with the assistance of his sister the tank began to tip, the barrel shifting around hoping to obviously catch them and knock then loose.

Catching site of her friend and her littermate, Rogue gaped at the pair as they worked in unison, lifting the tank slowly, incredibly, “Logan, we have to help them.”

“Jesus Christ!” Logan stared along with the rest on the battlefield as the heavy machine was tilted upwards. Moving forward he slapped Colossus on the shoulder and they raced to assist, helping to turn the tank over.

Ignoring the crunch of bones under its heavy weight they flipped it onto its side. Stepping back Logan glanced around as the arm started to retreat; catching the huge guy’s movements he stared along with the rest of the X-men as the man twisted the barrel before pushing away from the heavy object.

“We won,” Jean gaped at the destruction, “But just barely.”

“There was no warning, no indication..” Scott started.

“There was, you just weren’t listening,” Logan growled as he turned to the pair who’d taken on the tank. Hunkered together they communicated in low pitched growls and whimpers even as the big man rubbed the girl’s shoulders.

“Safe?” the one word kept being repeated softly, as though they tasted it to see if it was the right one.

“For now,” he muttered as he moved toward them. “You two okay?”

Shaking her head Weapon glanced up at him, “No go back. No more hurts.”

“No more Monsters,” Logan finished the thought as he knelt next to them. “How’d you know?”

With a shrug the girl looked at the man next to her and burrowed deeper into his embrace.

“They were after her,” the man pointed at Rogue, “and you.”

“Why?” Iceman demanded.

“Weapon,” the man grunted as he shifted, gathering the girl to him easily, familiarly, “We go. We watch out here.”

Logan stood as well and stared at the man as he walked away, ushering Rogue’s guardian angel. They knew something, knew more than they were saying and he needed to know. With a glance at Rogue who nodded and smiled sadly Logan headed after the pair.


“What’s Logan doing?” Scott demanded angrily as he assessed the situation.

“Getting answers,” Rogue whispered softly, sadly. “Answers you can’t understand.”

With a glance at the others she turned and walked slowly back toward the mansion, Logan would come to her when he had what he needed and she would need to be prepared.


Chapter Ten

“You gonna tell me how you knew?” Logan asked leaning against the tree as the big man settled the girl under the lower branches of a spruce tree.

“They take what they want,” the man replied softly.

“You’re not as feral as she is. I can smell it on you, hear in your voice. She’s lived on instincts so long that she doesn’t know any other way. You on the other hand have spent time amongst us.”

“A few years,” the man replied turning to stare at the familiar shadow standing over them. “Back when I was younger, when I knew nothing but the pain and agony of experiments, of drugs and abuse.”

“What happened?”

“We were freed.”

“How?” Logan demanded moving closer to him, his claws slowly coming out to lock into full extensions.

“The Father made his escape, killing those who hurt us, who beat, and took us like we were cheap toys. Any of us could be chosen at random for a night of violence, of terror and often were. The Father we saw only a few times but we knew him, knew his screams, his rage.”

“How?”

Meeting the familiar rage in hazel eyes the big man shrugged, “We trained together. We listened to the monsters cutting into him. Some of us knew his scent, some knew his blood, some..some knew his body.”

“What does that mean?” Logan growled not entirely certain he wanted answers.

“They wanted the Father to hurt some of us and he refused so we had to watch them punish him again and again. Don’t ask me how,” he rumbled painfully. “I won’t tell, won’t reveal what they did to us.”

“She said she knew Jean how?”

A quick shrug, an angry snarl and Logan felt a shaft of unease, “She saw her there. Saw a woman like her.”

“How?”

“They didn’t keep us caged all the time. I don’t know all the details, I just know what I saw, what I heard. They wanted her eggs or something..”

“Breeding program?” Logan gaped fury rising like a tidal wave within him as he thought of what other atrocities had been done to his mind and body.

“Selection.”

“You got a name?”

The big man shook his head, “We never got named. Names implied life, life meant we were human. We were never made to be human, merely extensions of the military’s weapons.”

“She hurt?”

“Exhausted. She hasn’t slept in days, and then fighting for her life, it just wore her out. Her healing factor will compensate for it but she sleeps so she can dream, remember all the things the monsters did to her.”

“You could bring her inside.”

“She’s not tame Father,” the big man shrugged, “Neither of us is. We’re freaks, genetic beings that are neither alive, nor dead. We stay here.”

With a nod Logan turned and started back to the mansion, “Why Rogue? Why pick her out to protect?”

A soft chuckle and Logan turned back, “Because she belongs to you. She’s chosen of the Father. She carries your scent, not to mention the fact that her essence spikes whenever she’s around you.”

“Noticed that did ya?” Logan rolled his shoulders, suddenly uneasy at the accepting way the man called him father, “So what now?”

“I don’t know. She’ll probably sleep for a few hours then we’ll move on.”

“I think you should stay. It would give her a chance to learn to be a woman, to be less..”

“Feral? She doesn’t understand the same things others do, neither do I. We see what we want we take it, we’re used to hunting for ourselves, used to living wild. A cage is still a cage no matter how pretty.”

“But this isn’t a cage,” Logan growled, “This is a chance for her to step out of the darkness; to take control back from the Monsters, from those who would hurt us.”

“She may be receptive, or not. I don’t know. I will talk to her when she awakens.”

“Let me know. Right now I’d better get back, there’s a lot of damage to clean up.”

“Father..” the soft grunt had Logan turning around slightly, “Watch the Monster. She will betray you all if given a chance.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“It’s what she was made for.”

Glancing away Logan shrugged and turned to walk away. The answers to his questions weren’t what he was expecting, what he wanted but they were more than he needed. Cursing the army he hurried back to the mansion, a deep almost painful need to see Rogue to reaffirm that she was safe pulling at him.


Chapter Eleven

Sitting hunched around the massive table in the Planning room the team glanced up as the door swished open and Logan walked in to glare at Jean for a moment before he settled next to Hank and Rogue.

“Well?” Scott asked softly as Charles stared at Logan.

“They’re staying for a while. I don’t think they should be out there Chuck, they may be feral but they don’t understand a lot of things.”

“They’re a risk to us all,” Jean stated calmly leaning back in her seat.

“Really? Seems to me that if they were such a risk they’d have let the army blast the house down around us,” Rogue snarled angrily.

“Rogue don’t,” Logan whispered nuzzling her ear as he pulled her closer to him. “Let it lay for now.”

“But..” Rogue turned to stare at Logan and saw the pain and the rage in his eyes as well as something else, something that scared her. “What did you find out?”

Logan shook his head, “Nothing good. Tell ya later.”

“If it concerns the team..” Charles started.

“It doesn’t, it concerns myself and Rogue and nobody else.”

Charles nodded sensing an undercurrent of rage within Logan that would be dangerous to those around him when provoked. “Any ideas on how we could prevent this sort of attack again?”

“Kill ‘em all,” Logan grunted angrily, “Let God sort ‘em out.”

“Logan that isn’t..” Storm started only to stop at the cold fury in his gaze.

“Lets think about this,” Logan snarled rising and beginning to pace, “They use little babies for experiments, selling toddlers and kids into slavery to be used and abused until they’re of no use anymore than killed. Not to mention the experiments and mutilation of adults and teenagers, or the sexual exploitation of young women for the amusement of the guards, doctors, and other male staff. And you think you can live with them? Think they’re all gonna wake up and say ‘Damn we’ve been too hard on the muties. We should cut ‘em some slack.’ Get real. It ain’t gonna happen.”

“Logan your anger is justified but it doesn’t mean that you can punish all for the actions of one.”

“No? Tell me Scooter if it was your girl they were cutting to little pieces would you be so generous?”

“They haven’t gotten Rogue,” Scott snapped rising to his feet.

“That ain’t the fuckin’ point! I know where she is. Rogue’s right here and this is where she’s staying. Answer the fuckin’ question.”

“He can’t,” the soft drawl drew everyone’s attention to Kitty shrugged sadly; “We don’t understand what happened Logan. Yes we’ve seen them attack us, seen the results of their abuse but we haven’t experienced it..”

“That makes you all pretty fuckin’ stupid if you ask me. You think they get their hands on one of these kids they’re gonna be nice to ‘em. Think again, they’ll be lucky if they get to the lab without being raped, without being tortured and beaten.”

“Sugar its okay,” Rogue rose to stop in front of him. “Come on, it ain’t like it’s gonna make a difference what you say. They will never understand..”

“They don’t see it..”

“I know. I do,” Rogue stared at him, “They were talking about you weren’t they?” she whispered so softly she knew only he and possibly Hank would catch it.

The briefest of nods told her what she wanted to know and she moved into his arms, “Hold onto me Logan, let’s get out of here and talk this out.”

With a furious growl Logan let her usher him out of the room and down the hall. Climbing onto the elevator he pulled Rogue against him and held her, desperate to feel her pulse, her warmth, her life flowing beneath his fingers.

“They’re mine,” he whispered into her ear, “Results of experiments. God Rogue it was bad enough thinking they’d just put the metal in me but to know..” he paused and swallowed, “To know they took that from me. He said that they made me hurt them, that they made me train with them.”

“It’s hard I know but you’re gonna make it Logan,” Rogue replied turning to face him. “Let me talk to them, let me try to convince them they’re safe here. You need them here, need to know that you’re in control of something.”

“I need you Marie,” Logan muttered gutturally, “I need to know you’re alive so badly. Need to keep you safe..they stole..”

“Shh,” Rogue soothed as the elevator stopped. Pulling him quickly to their room she closed and locked the door. “I know baby, I know what they took from you. But you know what you got it back. Granted they’re fully grown and deadly but you’ve gotten a family that’s yours.”

“I never knew.”

Rogue sighed softly, sadly as she undressed him before ushering him into bed, “You were never supposed to know. Now rest, tomorrow’s a new day and you’ll need your sleep.”

“I can’t sleep.”

“Then just rest, and hold me tight,” Rogue declared shedding her clothes and putting his t-shirt on, “Just listen to the pounding of my heart and let tonight fade away. We’ll deal with all this shit in the morning.”

“Morning sounds good, sounds really, really good,” Logan whispered holding her tightly, afraid she’d slip away, afraid that the demons that haunted him would get her, afraid that he would loose everything he’d managed to gather since he’d come back from the darkness if he didn’t.



Chapter Twelve

“They’re gone,” Charles eyed Logan over the top of his desk three days later, watching for any signs of emotion from the man.

“Yeah I figured that when Rogue said she hadn’t talked to Weapon in a day or so,” Logan ground out moving to stare out the window. The fact that they’d disappeared rather than enter into the seeming idyllic situation of the mansion was disappointing and yet he knew that in time when they felt comfortable they’d return.

The knowledge that the military had sunk even lower than he’d ever imagined they could only enflamed a ready temper. He knew that sooner or later he’d have to find the bastards that had done it and make them pay but Rogue was adamant about letting Weapon and her brother have vengeance. Thinking about Rogue he focused on the young woman sitting on the back steps staring out into the tree line, a lost, worried look on her face.

Turning his attention to the still healing wounds from the battle Logan shrugged, they should be here, should be within the safety of the group not out there in the world.

“You can’t control them Logan,” Charles said softly, “You aren’t responsible for them, for what happened years before.”

“You wouldn’t understand if I told you,” Logan ground out. “We’ve got to do something, they’re gonna keep coming for us until there aren’t any left. Sooner or later you’re gonna have to fight and it ain’t gonna be pretty.”

“I’d really rather not turn this into a blood bath Logan. There are far too many out there that are willing to do that.”

Turning Logan stared at him hard for a moment, “My past has come back to haunt us. A past that in part is willing to die to save one of our own and you think that this isn’t going to turn into a bloodbath? Get real Chuck, this was a blood bath the moment Stryker stepped through the doors and it’s only going to get worse.”

“How can you be so sure?” Charles asked softly, without rancor.

With a sad shrug of his shoulders Logan glanced at him before focusing on Rogue who was standing up staring at the treeline intently, “Because we’re in the middle of a war and nobody’s gonna get out alive.”

“After all that is the only guarantee that anyone; mutant or human has,” Logan ground out with chilling finality.