Author's Chapter Notes:
After five years, Rogue comes face to face with the woman who forced her out.
The ride home was the longest ride of both their lives. They both knew what she was returning to, and he couldn't help but wonder if maybe she would be better off on her own. He knew better than that, of course. She was a bomb, waiting to erupt. She needed those who knew her best around her right now, those who had experienced this before. She needed those who could help her control this new personality before she took over completely.

He had met Carol Danvers on the way home. She had made quite a few appearances, leading him to believe that maybe Rogue wasn't in charge this time. Rogue was right about one thing; Carol was pissed. She made it perfectly clear that she wanted her life back, and that if it meant destroying Rogue in the process, she would be glad to do it. She understood that she wasn't going to return to her old body, and she was more than willing to take over Rogue's.

He tried not to talk to Carol anymore. He didn't know what she had been like in life, but this version wasn't someone that he wanted anything to do with. She was mean and ruthless. She spilled Rogue's life out before him. Things she had never told him. Things he knew she didn't want him to know. Now he knew what Rogue loved about him so much, and why she needed to touch so badly. She had been tormented as a child. Physically abused by her father, or else just ignored. She craved the feeling of someone holding her lovingly. Someone touching her out of something besides hate. Carol was a bitch for telling him all of these things. He could only hope that Hank would be able to help her.

They arrived at the mansion early in the afternoon. Fortunately, Rogue was in full control this time. Logan was prepared to keep everyone away from her, but he knew she needed to get through this as soon as possible. Besides, if it was too much, he would take her away from here. Put her up in an apartment somewhere in the city where he or Hank could help her as much as possible. There were really only a few people in the mansion who claimed to understand and sympathize why she would take the cure. He only hoped that they would all come forward now. Rogue was going to need all the help she could get.

"Where to first?" She asked him as they walked into the kitchen from the garage together. "You think I should talk to Storm now?" There was no fear in her voice. It was a simple question, as plain as asking what's for dinner.

"Yeah. She should be in the professor's old office." He didn't ask if she wanted him to go with her. He knew she would say no, but he also knew that she would never admit to needing him there. They made their way through the halls, avoiding anyone who might cross their paths. Fortunately, it was a Wednesday, and most of the residence was in class or out.

He knocked casually on Storm's door, and waited. She should be in there now, working on the paper work for students who came in off the street. It didn't take long for them to get a welcoming answer. Logan stepped in first, and saw her eyes light up at seeing him. He hadn't said anything when he left. Just grabbed some things and ran out the door. She had known he would be coming back, she just hadn't expected him this soon.

Before he left, he was starting to think that she might be developing stronger feelings for him. He hadn't thought about it the entire time he was gone, but the light in her eyes reminded him that he would have to end it soon.

He walked completely into the room and watched the happiness fade from her eyes as soon as she saw who was behind them. She had never gotten over the feeling of betrayal where Rogue was concerned, and now Logan was able to recognize the bitterness that seemed to seep into her face, making her appear years older. Logan would have thought that, of all people, Storm would at least understand Rogue's need to put herself first for once.

"What the hell are you doing back here?" Storm asked quickly, unable to hide the hatred in her voice. "I thought you didn't need us anymore."

"My powers have returned, Storm. I think I've killed someone. I need help getting her personality under control." As Rogue recounted the story to Storm, Logan allowed his thoughts to wander. He found himself admiring the girl before him, noticing that she had changed a great deal since he had seen her last. There was a confidence about her now that he doubted any of the personalities in her head had anything to do with, including his own. Her whole manner had changed, starting with her walk. She used to walk hunched over, almost cowering, shying away from everyone she came into contact with. The girl he had known walked as if she had been beaten, this woman seemed to strut with confidence and grace. That's when it hit him. She was no longer a child, threatened and afraid. She didn't need him to take care of her anymore. Hadn't needed him since that fateful day when she finally had enough. There was something else to this girl now. Something he intended to figure out for himself. "I need a place to stay where I can be around others who have experience with helping me. I know that there aren't any telepaths strong enough here now, but maybe Hank can help. If you won't give me the help I need, then I will go to someone else."


Logan looked at Storm, and knew exactly what was going through her head. She was weighing the pros and cons of allowing Rogue to rejoin them. She still felt that the younger woman had betrayed them by taking the cure in the first place. There were so many reasons why Rogue would have been more helpful had she been there with them when the Phoenix unleashed her abilities. But there was also the fact that now Rogue possessed a super strength and invulnerability that was unmatched. Plus, there was the fact that she could now fly. She would be an even better asset now than she had before.

"You can stay, but on a probation period only." Storm sat in her chair, and motioned for Rogue and Logan to do the same. Once all were comfortable, she continued. "I am not sure where you can be the most helpful within the school, but I will let you know with in a week. For now, I want you to pair up with Logan and help with our defense courses. You are not allowed in the Danger Room at all until I have given the go ahead. I advise you to make your way to the cafeteria for lunch. The majority of the faculty will be there, and so will the students who were here when you made your decision. You might want to get that over as soon as possible. If anything happens, Logan will be with you.

"And, Logan, I want a full report of her activities and progress at the end of each day."

"Yes, Ma'am."