Logan and Jubilee rode all night. It was hard to track someone by smell when they were flying, but Logan was lucky. The wind had been blowing all night steadily from the Southwest, which seemed to be the direction Carol was going. Logan lost her scent in the early morning hours. The wind hadn't shifted, so he figured she must've stopped to rest.

It took them a while, stopping at all the small towns they came across in the direction Carol had gone, but by early afternoon, Logan had found her scent. They were in Clarkston, Illinois, in front on Mary's Diner. There was another familiar scent here, but it had faded, and Logan couldn't place it.

They went in and ate lunch, asking the waitresses and cashier about Marie.

"Yep, I remember her, poor gal. I was working LeAnn's shift and she came in at about 2 in the morning. Something had her awful upset." The waitress's face turned suspicious. "Why're you lookin' for her anyway?"

"She ran away from school," Jubilee piped in.

"You two don't look like any school officials to me."

"Look, did you see where she went or not?" Logan asked.

The waitress paused, and then shrugged like she figured it wouldn't do any harm to tell them. "She left, 'bout an hour after she came in, with an older man. Could've been her grandfather, I don't know. He had one of those ritzy accents, definitely upper class. Good tipper, too."

The description clicked with the scent Logan had picked up outside. Carol had left with Magneto.



The Professor met with Scott, Jean, and Ororo over breakfast, telling them what he had discovered.

"How did Magneto find her so quickly?" Jean asked. "He's not psychic. How could he possibly know that she left?"

"He has to be watching the school," Scott pointed out, his logistical mind analyzing all angles of the situation.

"I agree. But we have more than one security problem," the professor added. "What do we do about Carol? Cerebro lost her as soon as she entered Magneto's car. She was an X-Man. She has all of our passwords, all of our top secret information."

"Carol would never..." Ororo started, but she was interrupted by Jean.

"Why not? She thinks we all want to kill her and bring Rogue back. Why should she have any loyalty to us after that?"



It had taken two weeks. Two weeks of searching, following bad leads and old trails, before they'd finally found the right lead. They finally found Magneto's new lair, deep in the Rocky Mountains and far away from prying eyes.

Logan was following Carol's scent, picking locks with his claws as necessary. Jubilee followed, alert, hands up and at the ready to attack. Neither of them was ready for the sight of Carol as they turned out of one corridor and into another.

"Logan, Jubilee, ya found me." Her voice was soft, lilting with a southern accent that was all Marie.

She was back. Marie was back in control. Logan was so overcome with joy, he didn't realize his mistake until it was too late. A solid object pounded into the back of his head, knocking him to the ground. As his vision grayed and he lost consciousness, he heard Sabretooth's growl and a familiar laugh.

Marie's smell, that's what had been wrong. It wasn't Marie, or even Carol. It was Mystique, and she was laughing.



"Get yer hands off me, ya overgrown rug!" Jubilee's cries echoed off the metal halls and into Carol's room.

'Jubilee? She came to find me? Huh, never figured her for a close friend, but still if she came for me...' Carol's thoughts were interrupted by Jubilee's cries.

"Logan, wake up. Help me here."

'Logan. Jubes hadn't come to save her. She'd come to help Logan kill her and take Marie back.' She felt anger creep into her soul, anger mixed with worry. She wasn't sure which of the personalities in her head were had those feelings, maybe all of them.

All this time, she had resisted Eric's attempts to get her to reveal the X-Men's secrets. Even though they had betrayed her, she still couldn't turn on her friends. So far, Eric hadn't pressured her. Now, Logan and Jubilee were here, and she found her loyalties pushed to the edge. She was either an X-Man or a member of the Brotherhood. There was no middle ground anymore.