Carol flew for hours, until she was completely exhausted. She'd cried most of the way, letting the winds dry her cheeks. She hated Rogue. She hated Logan. She had lost her body and her health to Rogue years earlier. Now, thanks to both of them, she had lost her home and her future. They weren't going to stop there, though. She could hear them inside her mind, and now they wanted her life.

Well, she wasn't just going to lay down and die. She'd figure out something. She'd find a way to go back to college. She'd change her name, change her appearance, and live a new life. But how do you hide from a telepath? She was sure that by now, they were tracking her, and despite the mental shielding she had learned at the school, she wasn't strong enough to hide from the professor.

She landed on the outskirts of a small midwestern town. She didn't know the name of the town, or even what state she was in, but she needed to rest.

Walking into Mary's Diner, she plopped down in a booth as worn out as she was. It was pitch black outside, probably 1 or 2 in the morning, and she felt lucky that the place was still open. As it was, there was only one other customer, an older man sitting at the counter.

"What can I get for ya, hon?" the kind, middle-aged waitress asked, shuffling over to the booth. Taking in Carol's rumpled clothes and red, puffy eyes, she asked, "Are you ok, honey?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Carol answered, although she felt far from fine. She ordered an early breakfast, and closed her eyes, trying to push down the voices that were screaming in her head to go back.

She sat there for an hour, her meal long gone, just resting and trying to work out where she would go from there, when she heard the bell on the restaurant's door jingling. She turned and saw a familiar, old face.

'How did he find me?' she wondered, her thoughts racing. She'd thought she would be safe here for a couple more hours, and of all the people she'd expected to see, he was the last on her list.

"Hello, my dear," the refined voice said. "May I join you?"

Carol nodded dumbfounded, and watched Magneto sit across from her in the booth.

"What are you doing here? How did you know where..."

"My dear," Magneto said with a light chuckle. "You don't think I let Charles' school go unmonitored. I knew the instant you left, and I know why you left... I have a proposition for you."