"C'mon, Kit Kat." Jubilee said, pulling her friend away from Bobby with one hand and holding leftovers from dinner in the other.

"Where're we going?"

"Carol's been in her room all day. She's gotta at least be hungry."



"Carol, please open the door. We're your friends. We just want to know you're ok," Kitty pleaded through the door.

She turned to Jubes, with a look of resignation. Then, with a click, the door unlocked, but didn't open. Jubilee knocked tentatively as she turned the knob and opened the door.

"Carol?"

The blond girl was on the bed, clutching her legs tightly to her chest and rocking back and forth. Jubes could see the trails that tears had made down her face. She set down the plate of food and sat down next to Carol, reaching to put an arm around her, when the girl shrunk back in terror.

"Don't touch me."

Jubilee jumped off the bed, startled by the reaction and the fear she saw in Carol's eyes.

Carol went back to her rocking and then muttered, "Jean says Rogue's touching thing is coming back. It's blinking on and off, and I can't tell when it's safe."

Kitty whispered to herself, "If Rogue is dead, then why is her mutation coming back."

"What?!" Carol shrieked. "What did you say, Kitty? You think I've been lying all this time? That this is some kind of fun thing for me, that I wanted to end up in this body?"

Kitty was shocked into silence, she hadn't expected Carol to hear her. "How did you..."

"I absorbed Wolverine, remember? Good hearing kinda comes along with the asshole in my head. As if I didn't have enough to deal with before, now I've gotta listen to his voice, too."

"What?" Jubes asked in a quiet voice.

Carol, realizing what she'd said a second after she said it, and had to cover. "What?"

"What did you mean by that? Having to listen to his voice too?"

"Look, I'm tired. I don't know what I said. Just, can ya just leave me alone?"

"Yeah. We just brought you dinner, thought you might be hungry." Jubes said, heading for the door. "C'mon, Kits."

After they'd left the room, Jubes turned to her friend. "Did you hear what I heard?"



Carol was furious. She'd wanted to fly away, wanted to go to the roof to think, wanted to go to the gym and beat the stuffing out of her punching bag, but she knew as soon as he woke up, he would track her down.

She'd been in her room all day, trying to think a way out of this mess. Along with her more recent injuries, the scars, the limp, all the reminders of that terrible car accident, were gone. Jean'd even told her she was growing a new spleen. It was everything she'd wished for, and she hated it with every breath in her body, because now he was with her, in her head, and he was helping Marie. She'd push Rogue down, and Logan would fight her. She'd push Logan down and Rogue would get stronger.

After a day of fighting in her head, she'd been tired when Jubes and Kitty visited, and she'd let the secret slip. They knew that Marie was still alive.