Author's Chapter Notes:
Bit shorter than others, some hostility and swearing involved.
Sitting with Marie on her bed hours later after a recap of the little information he had found, Logan noticed Scott’s goggles sitting on the bedside table. Taking a moment to sniff the air and finding only the faintest scent of Scott in the room, Logan turned his attention back to Rouge and demanded an answer. ‘What is Scooter’s shit doin in your room?’

Waiting for an answer Logan didn’t need his heightened senses know that Marie’s scent flooded with anxiety again and raised an eyebrow encouraging an answer. He watched Marie shift uncomfortably and noted the tired look in her eyes. ‘Cant it wait until tomorrow? A’m exhausted.’ Hearing the pleading in her voice Logan decided that he needed sleep too and nodded. Standing and surveying the room and making sure that there were no other signs of Scooter hanging around Logan scooped up his backpack and headed for the door. Turning at a small sound from behind him, Logan looked at his Marie sitting in the middle of the big bed alone and waited. Seeing that she wasn’t going to elaborate he turned to the door again. Before Logan could take another step to the door she spoke up. ‘Stay.’ Turning to look at Marie again Logan smiled and shrugged. ‘I’m not going anywhere in a hurry kid.’ Then he was out the door and headed to his usual room.

Pushing the door open and entering Logan balked at the stale air that greeted him and moved quickly to open the window after discarding his bag on the bed. Turning back to survey the room, Logan nodded in satisfaction as he found everything as he left it. Kicking off his boots and pulling his shirt over his head Logan headed for the shower to wash away the dirt and sweat of travel. Stepping under the boiling spray Logan quickly washed and stood beneath the water as it soothed tired muscles and washed away the memory of the roads he had travelled. Stepping out of the shower that had lost its heat Logan dried quickly and fell into his bed letting sleep take him before the sun rose to disturb his rest.

Waking late and dragging himself out of bed in time for lunch Logan headed for the cafeteria. Greeted by the X-men with a round of pleasantries Logan quickly devoured his meal and headed for Xavier’s office. Entering without knocking Logan was greeted by the Professor without surprise. ‘I trust that you slept well Logan. Welcome back.’ Nodding in answer Logan settled into the seat opposite the desk. ‘Dead end again Chuck. I’ve had enough games. No more shitty leads that go nowhere, no more obsessing over false information. I’m not leaving again unless it’s sure thing.’

After leaving Xavier’s office Logan was tired of recounting useless information. Remembering the information that he was lacking he headed for Marie’s room in search of answers.

‘It’s ok. It happened and there must be a reason so I think we should try again.’ Scott sat on the end of Rogue’s bed waiting for her to consider his words. ‘But you almost died!’ Rogue sat beside him on the bed watching as he tried to reason with her to try touching him again. ‘It wasn’t that bad. There must be a reason for why it worked and then didn’t, but isn’t it worth trying?’ Rogue admitted to herself that she was very tempted by his offer and had been thinking along the same lines since he had woken up. But she decided that the risk was too much and so was debating the pro’s and con’s with Scott.

Deciding that it was now or never Scott reached over and grabbed his goggles that Rouge still had. Placing them over Rogue’s eyes before she could argue he was fixing the strap so that it wasn’t tangled in Rouges hair when the door flew open with a bang. Rogue jumped and grabbed hold of Scott in panic before looking at the door. Seeing an angry Logan stalking into the room both Rogue and Scott stood abruptly wondering what was wrong.

Logan stalked up to Scott. ‘What the hell do you think your doing Scooter!?’ Bristling at the other mans aggression and his invasion of his personal space Scott responded in like. ‘None of your business Wolverine. It’s between Rogue and I if you don’t mind.’ Both men stood their ground and Rogue was forced to step up to stop the confrontation coming to blows. ‘Logan, what are you doing? Scott wasn’t doing anything wrong.’ Seeing the potential for a fight Rogue pulled Scott away from Logan and waited for him to look at her. Scott acknowledged the silent plea in Rogue’s eyes and turned to leave. ‘Later Rogue.’

After Scott had left Logan turned his attention to Rogue and growled as he approached her. Reaching up he pulled harshly at the goggles that Rouge was wearing and threw them to the ground. Stepping closer to Rouge, Logan snarled and pointed accusingly at the goggles behind him. ‘What the hell were you doing with him. Putting that rubbish on your face… Huh? That stupid shit.’ Rogue stared at Logan and took a step back. Deciding that she wasn’t ready to tell Logan about what had happened Rogue quickly made and excuse while choosing her words carefully. ‘We were just talkin Logan. Ah was just curious about the goggles is all. There wasn’t no reason to get mad.’

With Logan glaring at her suspiciously Rouge was uneasy. She didn’t normally keep things from Logan but she wasn’t ready to share this yet. Rouge quickly found a reason for Logan to leave and therefore stop glaring at her. ‘If you’ll excuse me Logan I’ve things to do.’ Logan left the room slowly after scanning the room for signs of Scott and growling again when his gaze settled on the goggles on the floor. Closing the door behind him Rogue wondered at the hostility between the two men and how it seemed to be worse than before.