Author's Chapter Notes:
Next pic: http://roudevil.deviantart.com/art/Canon-75902698
When only few miles separated them from Xavier’s grounds Logan gestured Rogue to pull over to the side of the road. He needed to talk to her. Or at least that’s what he kept telling to himself, all the while trying to find something to say, his eyes trailing over the girl behind the steering wheel to a completely another girl gurgling at the back seat. “Uh… I was thinking… It’s cold out here. There’s a small diner not too far from the mansion, just couple of miles down the road. Maybe you should take the brat and wait me there?” He asked. Rogue shrugged. “Fine. Might get something to eat as well,” she said rubbing her stomach. They had fed the baby, but Logan had been too anxious to eat, wanting to get on to the road as soon as possible so she hadn’t eaten a thing since the supper last night.

Logan nodded, feeling a twinge of guilt. It wouldn’t have made any difference even if they had stopped to eat sooner. They were not on the run, there was nobody chasing them. “My wallet’s in the breast pocket of that jacket. Breakfast…” He scanned their surroundings and coughed. “… Dinner is on me. That okay?” He asked. Rogue nodded, grin spreading from ear to ear. Then it faded somewhat. “What about you? Aren’t you hungry?” She asked. Logan shook his head. Not a complete lie. He was hungry as hell, but too jittery to eat. He’d talk to Xavier first, find out what to do with the baby first. Then he could eat.

He drove through the gates and along the driveway, straight in to the garage, scaring Scott and his mechanics class in the process. He waited until Scott excused the students and they were alone in the garage before stepping down from the motorcycle.

“Logan,” Scott greeted him politely. He nodded his own greeting. “I came to see Xavier. Is he back already?” He asked. Scott shook his head. “They’re in Milan. But they should be back next week.” “Next week? How long can a one lousy conference… Shit!” He kicked a collection of neatly organized wrenches on the floor, sending them scattered all over the place. “I take it that this is about the baby?” Scott asked instead of scolding him from making a mess. “How the hell do you know about it?” He asked flabbergasted. “You really think I would have let Rogue in to the night with Xavier’s best car if she hadn’t given me a good reason to do so? Speaking of which, where the hell are they? Rogue and the baby?” Scott asked. “I thought it would be better if they waited outside. The baby is a mutant. With active mutation.”

Scott stared him in silence for a long while. “This is a school for mutants, Logan,” he finally blurted. “I’m not stupid, flyboy. But that little critter has an interesting mutation. She cancels out everybody else’s powers. Seeing as few kids around here would get in to serious trouble if their mutation was suddenly turned off I thought it would be better to come in alone at first,” Logan spat. Again a brief silence. Then Scott made his decision. “Take me to them.”

Scott was driving. There was no way he was going to trust Logan behind the wheel of his favorite car. After a little persuasion and lots of cajoling Logan had given up and flopped down on the passenger’s side. There was no way he would be able to trust Scott behind any kind of steering wheel, but if he wanted to see the baby and Rogue today he had no choice in the matter.

“Are you sure about this? The baby having an active mutation? Most of us manifest during periods of heightened stress, no sooner before we reach our teens. And I know great deal of mutants who have never manifested,” Scott asked. “Believe me, the brat is the real deal…” “How do you know?” Scott asked. “Well… For starters, I wasn’t having these before I found it…” Logan grunted, plucking something from his temple. Few silvery strands of grey hair, small enough amount to disappear amidst black ones, but easy to detect with his sharp eyes. Scott let out a low whistle. “And Rogue touched me. Nothing happened,” he added quickly, hoping that third degree interrogation wouldn’t follow. For his relief Scott was still so wrapped up to the idea of the youngest mutant he had ever met that what Logan said sailed straight past his ears. “This isn’t good. Not good at all, Logan...” Scott muttered. “Tell me about it. Well, it’s good for Rogue. Who knows, maybe for you as well. You could finally trash those visors of yours. But… Shit.” Scott turned to look at him. “We have to hide the baby somehow. Xavier… He’d most likely welcome it with open arms and try to find a way to minimize the effects of its mutation until it was old enough to control it by itself. Good idea, but I highly doubt that it would work. And I can’t even begin to imagine what would happen if humans found out about the baby,” he spoke with a low, quiet voice. “Lucky you. My imagination has been running rampant ever since we found out what the brat can do, and let me tell you, things that keep popping in to my mind aren’t nice,” Logan grunted.

“We’re here,” Scott said, turning to the parking lot of the diner. “What the fuck is going on in here?” Logan asked, tearing out from the car before Scott had it properly parked.

The place was an utter chaos. Large front windows of the diner were broken, tables and chairs thrown through them. Inside it looked like a world war three had erupted. People and mutants of all kinds were battling each other, shouting, screaming, kicking, scratching and using everything and anything at hand as improvised weapons. “Logan, you moron… You send her to the only diner around that caters for mutants as well?” Scott scolded him.

He hurried inside, Scott close at his heels and spotted Rogue and the baby at the far corner of the diner, hiding behind an overturned table. He fought his way through the bickering and bantering crowd to them and slipped over their improvised barrier. “How’s it going, kid?” He asked. Rogue had a bloodied lip and her left shoulder hung in an odd angle, probably dislocated. She was just barely conscious, and from the sight of him she let go of the baby. “Take care of her…” She whispered.

He scooped both girls at his arms, intending just to walk out like he had just walked in. Scott was doing his best to distract the crowd, but as soon as Logan stood up all eyes turned to him, and the baby cooing at his arms. The whole diner fell eerily silent. “Don’t let me interrupt you, I’m just grabbing these two and we’ll be out of your hair in no time…” He grunted, stepping over the table and the debris littering the floor, jostling Rogue and the baby so that he could hold them with one hand only, leaving the other free. “Kill the baby!” A woman with green hair and a tail, an obvious mutant, suddenly screeched, raising a chorus of acceptances from the crowd. Logan shook his head. “I don’t know what the fuck is your problem, but anybody who wants a piece of these two will have to get through me first,” he growled, raising his free hand and releasing his claws.