Story Notes:
Special thanks to: w/r.com, again, for putting up with me, and to Savage Garden for the song.
Marie tried to think up reasons to make her feel better about her situation. She wanted answers, some explanation. She wanted to point the blame at someone or something besides herself. She wanted a reason for why SHE was a mutant, why SHE had the power to kill anyone with a single brush of the arm, and why SHE had to find out the way SHE did and be kicked out of the house. And above all, she wanted to know why HE ran out on her.

She could see it in other people's eyes. They weren't stupid, they knew what she was. They knew that people don't wear layers of clothing for no particular reason, knew she was different. She was dangerous. When she fled to Canada, for whatever reason she couldn't tell, they all had explanations.

Most figured it was her parents' reaction to the discovery of her mutation. Her dad stopped talking to her, didn't even act like she was his. He didn't want anything to do with her. But at least he acknowledged she existed. To her mother she disappeared, didn't even know she was there. She was dead to her and there was no use to mourn over her.

Her friends tried to talk to her, but most of them stayed away. They'd all heard about what happened and most of them wanted to just stick clear of her. But those who did came to her house and found her. They talked to her, asked it what it was like to be a mutant. When Marie didn't say anything they left, and Marie slowly died. Rogue was born.

Rogue fled to Canada, where most people wore layers of clothing daily. She left with a backpack, a few clothes and a few possessions and fled. She slowly made her way up there, hitching rides with whoever would give her one, and fighting to stay alive with little food and no money. She was always on guard. People weren't nice, she realized that when she discovered she was different. People weren't to be trusted.

And after meeting that cage fighter and finding a place in Winchester she felt she actually belonged, and finding a man that was more than a friend, one who would give his life for her. And he turned around and did the same thing she did. He fled.

He left to "go find his past," she didn't believe it for a minute. She loved him and he was afraid of her, that was the only logical reason she could think of. Maybe his feelings were the same, maybe not. She knew it was true. So now she sits around the school, layers of clothing covering her from head to foot, waiting at the entrance's steps, waiting for him to come back to her.

...SHE'S TAKING HER TIME MAKING UP THE REASONS TO JUSTIFY ALL THE HURT INSIDE GUESS SHE KNOWS FROM THE SMILE AND THE LOOK IN THEIR EYES EVERYONE'S GOT A THEORY 'BOUT THE BITTER ONE THEY'RE SAYING, 'MAMMA NEVER LOVED HER MUCH' AND, 'DADDY NEVER KEEPS IN TOUCH, THAT'S WHY SHE SHIES AWAY FROM HUMAN AFFECTION' BUT SOMEWHERE IN HER PRIVATE PLACE SHE PACKS HER BAGS FOR OUTER-SPACE AND NOW SHE'S WAITING FOR THE RIGHT KIND OF PILOT TO COME...


She wanted to leave, wanted to find him, go to the end of the earth for him. Rogue had been born when she lost her love from her parents, and then Rogue had half-way died when she met Logan. The love she felt for him had returned to her, but she still had to have a guard. Rogue was her protection, Marie was reborn, remembering love. Marie and Rogue loved Logan, both of them missed him. She just wanted him to come home, wanted him to want her.

...I WOULD FLY TO THE MOON AND BACK IF YOU'LL BE IF YOU'LL BE MY BABY GOT A TICKET FOR A WORLD WHERE WE BELONG SO WOULD YOU BE MY BABY?...

Logan didn't have a past. If he did he didn't know any part of it. From day one he was on the run. He didn't know from what, just knew that he was wet, cold, and in much pain. Agony. Agonizing pain that hit him deep down in his bones.

Logan couldn't remember anything or anyone he had ever found himself attached to. Sometimes he wondered if they encased his heart in metal too. He had attachment now. He found her in that bar, wondering what the hell she was thinking. She looked cold and scared. And hungry. Her eyes devoured him with their gaze. When she prove how courageous she really was, he couldn't leave her in the snow. She needed him, and in a way he needed her too.

Logan didn't know what love was. He knew what lust was, what he felt for Jean. That wasn't love. Love had a sneaky way of striking him when he least expected it. On the night he was in the mansion, having the nightmare, Marie tried to help him. Tried to wake him up, tried to stop his pain. And he stabbed her in the chest. When she fell he grabbed her, stood her upright, tried to fix her. She reached out and touched him.

He watched the three holes close over, watched his memories flood out to her, and hr memories and thoughts into him. When he awoke he tried to sort it out. At first all there was were shouts and cries of pain, then memories of friends, school, her parents, and herself.

She admired him, understood him. Felt connected with him somehow. She needed him, she admired him, and she loved him.

When Logan went to find her, to talk her about what happened he couldn't find her. She had fled again. She thought she was gonna get in trouble for hurting him. But he wasn't hurt. That was a bunch of bull.

So he followed her, found her at the train station. He entered the train and sat next to her. He wasn't exactly sure how to say anything to her. He didn't want to hurt her, didn't want her to hurt him. So he kept it light, watching how her eyes lit up, laughing, at his stupid puns. He put himself in an awkward position, asking her to trust him. He wanted her to stay.

When Rogue said she would go back with him, he was overjoyed, but then Magneto showed up. Logan wanted to stop him, wanted to protect Marie. But he couldn't. When he did rescue her, saved her life, he watched as memories and thoughts of love, love for Marie, flew out of his grasp and through his hand into her vacuum, into her head. She knew.

So as he fled again, he left a piece of himself, his dog tags. "I'll be back for these." Which meant: I'll be back for YOU. And he was gone. She awaited his return, so did he.

...he CAN'T REMEMBER A TIME WHEN he FELT NEEDED IF LOVE WAS RED THEN he WAS COLOR BLIND ALL his FRIENDS HAD BEEN TRIALED FOR TREASON IN CRIMES THAT WERE NEVER DEFINED he's SAYING 'LOVE IS LIKE A BARREN PLACE AND REACHING OUT FOR HUMAN FAITH, IT'S LIKE A JOURNEY I JUST DON'T HAVE A MAP FOR' SO BABY'S GONNA TAKE A DIVE AND PUSH THE SHIFT TO OVERDRIVE SEND A SIGNAL THAT he's HANGING ALL HIS HOPES ON THE STARS WHAT A PLESANT DREAM...

Logan wanted to go back to the school, wanted to sweep her off her feet and let her know how he felt about her, how much he missed her, how much he cared. But he hesitated.

His past was out there somewhere, and he was determined to find it. He'd be back. He'd take her somewhere. Anywhere she wanted to go. He just wanted them to be together.

....SO WOULD YOU BE MY BABY, YEAH?....