~Epilogue~

It really was not permissible to let go like this and put all creatures for miles around through the unpleasantness of a thunderstorm, but it certainly had done a lot to make her feel much more composed. And it seemed as if at least one other person had benefited from the outburst, Storm thought as she hovered above the forest and noticed the drenched man that emerged from under the trees.
She regarded him with curiosity. So that was what his hair looked in its natural state? She had always though it odd of him to use gel; he didn’t seem the type to spend half an hour in front of a mirror to get his hair done up into those ridiculous peaks. It had never occurred to her he would need the gel to keep his hair DOWN.

And there was Rogue, coming out of the garden, head lifted into the fading rain and early sunlight with a smile. Out with the man, this early in the morning? Storm watched closely as he walked up, but it obviously wasn’t an appointed meeting. He just stood there, waiting for her to open her eyes. The girl started a little. Had she any reason to be afraid of him? Storm couldn’t see his face, tried to read the step he took closer, the hand he reached out. Was it meant comfortingly, or was he making her addicted to his touch? Perhaps; it was such a powerful thing with Rogue.

Storm watched her wrap herself into Logan’s strong, unhesitating hug and felt sudden pity at the sigh the girl heaved. She was starved of human touch, wasn’t she? Settling into the daily routine at the Mansion surely did not mean that toxic skin was less painful to the bearer.

Logan kept an arm round her shoulders in easy familiarity as the two went over to the door. Storm acknowledged defeat in her attempt to fathom this man. So savage at times, yet enough gruff courtesy to open the door for a girl and pick up her scarf.

Sure enough, he would notice the presence of a third person and turned his head. His glance was sharp, assessing, but he never broke contact with the girl.

“Go get yerself somethin’ hot, kiddo. Shower. Food.”

“But Ah still have to read the...”

“Uh-uh. Off yer go. I’ll check on you.”

He gently steered her into the vague direction of the kitchen, and she rolled her eyes. So much like any other teenager. Her smile and greeting confident, not holding back anything. No hint of awkwardness or guilt there, no intimacy beyond what propriety would dictate, and that finally convinced Storm more than anything else. Whatever bonded these two, he did not hold nor seek power over his young protégée. Judging by his slightly relaxed air, as far as one could tell with him, Rogue actually seemed to have some influence over the man, as well.

One of his brows shot up, gaze intent. "I like your concept of restraint."

For once, Ororo decided to ignore the mocking drawl. What had Kurt said the other day? "He is not always seeking a fight. He is just faster than many persons to see a challenge.” That was probably correct, but it seemed almost impossible to be unchallenging around Logan.

"One cannot have it all at all times, I should say."

That earned her half a grin. "So true."

And he walked away without any further indication that he had even noticed her presence. Had she really just thought about “courtesy” in connection with this man?