Once in possession of his room again he opened his presents carefully, appreciating each and every one of them silently. Good Cuban cigars from the professor. Bottle of whiskey from Scott and Jean. Small sculpture presenting a wolverine made out of ironwood from Ororo.

What he found from the last package he opened made him stop. For a long moment he just sat there on his bed, his fingers buried in to the wool, one hand clutching the thermos.

Jean’s words from earlier when he woke up in the med lab came back haunting him. He could hear them echoing eerily around him. He could hear his rather callous rebuke as well.

Of all of them around him the one who was ready, if not willing to let him go was Rogue. The same girl, who practically threw her heart at him every time their paths crossed in the hallways understood and was ready to let him go, was offering him his freedom.

He packed his knapsack. Wrapped the bottle of whiskey to a towel to cushion it. Pocketed the small wolverine. Stripped and put on the warm, woolen underwear. Put on his jeans and shirts. Checked the room for one last time and put on his jacket.

At her door he hesitated. She was asleep. He really shouldn’t disturb her at this time of night. He really shouldn’t. But he couldn’t very well just leave without saying goodbye first, now could he.

Hinges creaked softly when he pushed the door open and walked in. She was in deep sleep, curled on her side. He could still smell the faint scent of her release in the air. It made him wish that this were a completely another night, the night he was hoping would come in the future.

He shook his head for his own foolishness. Spotted a small scrap of paper and a pen on a table under the window.

----------------------------------------------------------

When she woke up at the next morning she found a note from the table. Small piece of pink paper, her pink pen decorated with glitter lying next to it, Logan’s dog tag gleaming faintly on the early morning light on top of the note.

I’ll be back for these