Author's Chapter Notes:
I've done this kind of thing once before, in another fandom, and decided to try with the X-verse, too. For some reason the thought of Logan arguing with his conscience seemed quite amusing...


*...* Logan's conscience speaking.

"..." Logan speaking.

I am the Wolverine. I am a growling badass who kicks people's asses for fun. I cage-fight for a living. I don't care about anyone but myself. I have one-night stands with random women in bars. I kill without any remorse whatsoever.

And I do fucking NOT have a conscience!

Let me repeat that:

I. Do. Not. Have. A. Conscience!!

*Yeah, right. Of course you don't, old boy,* a voice agreed with him.

"Shut up!"

*You're lying to yourself, you know that? Bad habit, old chap, I'm disappointed.*

For some odd reason the voice actually sounded amused.

"Didn't I tell you to shut the fuck up?"

*Really, if you didn't care about anyone else, why did you pick up Marie?*

"'Cause she would've frozen to death if I hadn't!"

*She could have hitched a hike with another driver.*

"Hey! She could've been hurt! Some of those guys are pretty bad."

*I thought you just said you didn't care about anyone else.*

"I don't! I was just helping her!"

*Riiiight. And almost getting yourself killed on the Statue of Liberty was also 'just helping her'?*

"She's a good kid, an' she's got her whole life ahead of her. She doesn't deserve to die because of that shit-head Magneto or whatever he calls himself. 'Sides, it was a great chance to get back at the junkyard cat for what he did to my camper...Hey, it was!"

*Of course.*

Logan was almost positive that the voice would have smirked, if it could.

"Glad we understand each other."

*Now, back to the subject. 'A good kid?' Logan, Logan, Logan. She's eighteen now. That's legal, you know.*

"She's legal? Hmmm...Ehh...I mean - she's still a kid compared to me!"

*Compared to you, everyone is a kid.*

"Gee, thanks."

*Anytime, old boy.*

"..."

*And besides, if you still think of her as a kid, how come you remember so much about her?*

"Because I spent so much time with her, dick-head. I remember a lot about Jeannie, too."

*You don't remember how Jeannie's ass looks. Or what she smelled like when you said you'd be leaving for a while. Or the look in her eyes when you gave her your dog-tags.*

"I didn't say goodbye to Jean an' Marie's the one wearing the tags."

*My point exactly.*

"You think I'm in love with a girl who's not only young enough to be my daughter - if not granddaughter - but also has lethal skin?? That's the craziest damn thing I've ever heard!"

*You said that. Not me.*

"The fuck I did!"

*Then why do you unconsciously seek out women with Southern accent and auburn hair - or those who wear gloves?*

"She's...I'm no good for her. She deserves someone her own age, someone that doesn't have metal claws and horrible nightmares."

*So you admit that you love her?*

"Fuck you! Okay, if that's what you wanna hear - yes, I love her damnit! She's beautiful, caring, smart - everything that I'm not. I love her more than anything, but it will - never - fucking - happen!"

*I see we're making progress here. Now, why won't it happen?*

"She's too young an' I'm too old. An' I hurt her - almost killed her once. If I stay around her, I'd only hurt her again. And I couldn't live with that. So it's better for the both of us if I just stay away and let her get on with her life."

*They must have implanted that metal into your skull, too. It's not natural to be so thick-headed.*

"Listen, bub, you have a death-wish or somethin'?"

*Logan, I'm your conscience. You can't kill me.*

"Wanna bet?"

*It's days like this where I just don't see what she loves so damn much about you.*

"Why, you little...hey! Who loves me so damn much?"

*If you stopped thinking with you ass, you might have noticed it a lot sooner.*

"Who the fuck are you talking about?!"

*You mean you didn't know? How could you have missed it?*

"I'll ask you one more time: Who. The. Fuck. Are. You. Talking. About??"

*Marie, of course. Who else?*

"Marie loves me?"

*Yes.*

"She really loves me?"

*Is there an echo in here or something?*

"You mean, like in Love? The big L?"

*What else?*

"I mean, I just...I didn't think that...I mean...she loves me?"

*You want me to spell it out for you?*

"..."

*Now, why don't you pull your head out of your ass, get on Scooter's bike and get back home before one of the little dick-heads in Xavier's school try to put the moves on her?*

"If they do, they'll loose a very important part of their anatomy. She's mine!"

*So glad we agree, old chap, so glad.*