Author's Chapter Notes:
This takes place post X-2 possibly 2 or so years later. I know that I have some similar sad stories but the idea just popped into my head as soon as I heard this song. I couldn’t escape. Anyway, read on and I hope you like it. Warning: May cause minor anger (or major?) towards author (moi). Please don’t hurt me! Also, tissue may be required depending on your sensitivity to sad fics.
“I love you,” was all she said before looking back down into her cup of coffee. She shifted a little nervously in the booth she was sitting in at the doughnut shop. There was a long pause of uncomfortable silence before she looked up at the one man she had just confessed her feelings to. She was searching his eyes and waiting for some sort of response.

Anything but this was good. The silence just killed her.

Finally, “Marie…” he said soon sighing afterwards.

Oh no.

This was not going where she had planned.

“I can’t – I just can’t. I’m so sorry,” he said looking down at his beer.

It felt as if a heavy weight had just fallen onto her chest.

She couldn’t tell whether her heart was beating faster of slower.

She couldn’t breathe.

You told me you don't love me
Over a cup of coffee
And I just have to look away


Marie began to feel her eyes sting with tears but refused to look back up at him.

“It’s Jean right?” she managed to let out. Although, she tried not to, she could tell that Logan was realizing the amount of pain she was suffering.

“Marie…” Logan began.

“Let’s –let’s just go back home now. Take me home okay?” she said grabbing her leather jack and getting up.

Logan nodded and answered softly, “Yeah.”

A million miles between us
Planets crash into dust
I just let it fade away


He quickly got up and went to the counter and paid the check.

What had started out as a night on-the-town between two best friends, had become a horrible nightmare.

Marie just went outside and shrugged off the cold wind.

Logan had the keys so she would have to wait.

I'm walking empty streets
Hoping we might meet
I see your car parked on the road
The light on at your window
I know for sure that you're home
But I just have to pass on by


She took a breath and saw it come out in front of her like a mist. It was comforting despite she felt she was alone.

The door opened and a ring, indicating that someone was there, was heard.

Soon Logan came up from behind.

“Let’s go,” he said.

Then they walked over to his truck in silence.

The rest of the trip back to the Institute was basically just as quiet. Neither of them spoke. Marie just gazed out the window of the front passenger seat while Logan was at the wheel.

Every now and then he looked her way to make sure she was managing okay but he just couldn’t help feeling a little sorry.

Was I too hard on her?, he thought.

Soon after they got back, the Professor assigned Logan on an emergency mission. Without any hesitations, he had to leave instantly. This didn’t allow him to have the chance to say goodbye.

The goodbye was a ritual that had gone on throughout the recent years. Sort of like a promise.

Sadly it was one that ended up being broken.

Marie was in the kitchen pouring herself a cup of coffee when she heard the motorcycle start.

Curious, she raced to the window and saw Logan ride away.

He didn’t say goodbye to me? she asked herself. Oh I know. He doesn’t like me anymore. Just great Rogue. You scared the living daylights out of him and now your friendship shall be doomed forever.

Not able to control her feelings, she took the coffee, and dumped it into the sink. She then placed the glass with some of the things that would be washed later and headed for her room.

Upon slamming the door, it wasn’t long before the other residents at the Institute started making suspicions of what could have caused this.

Logan.

That was their answer.

Th only answer.

The obvious.

So no, of course we can't be friends
Not while I'm still this obsessed
I guess I always knew the score
This is how our story ends


She laid herself out on her bed and cried. She didn’t know how long she was there but it must’ve been hours since it was soon night when she looked out her window.

I smoke your brand of cigarettes
And pray that you might give me a call
I lie around on bed all day just staring at the walls
Hanging round the bars at night, wishing I had never been born
Give myself to anyone who wants to take me home


She had been thinking of Logan.

Remembering his facial features, his strong muscles, his hypnotizing eyes and glance, his smell of cigars and beer, the way he would listen to her and talk to her in ways that no one ever thought possible that a man such as him was capable of doing.

And what would he be doing now?

Was he at a bar?

Was he on the road?

Was he fighting?

Was he okay?

Was he with one of his numerous one-night stands?

Marie yawned. She was too tired. Not just tired but weak. Weak of the mind, body, and soul.

Her feelings for Logan were just too much for her to handle. She had thought that letting them out would solve the problem but it ended up just making matters worse.

She slipped under the covers and laid herself down. Her eyes burned of stinging pain. The only way to let go off the pain was too close her eyes and dream for a better day to come after.

So no, of course we can't be friends
Not while I still feel like this
I guess I always knew the score
This is where our story ends


She couldn’t help it.

The next day Marie had found herself snooping around Logan’s room just to feel some comfort.

It had been rumored that he was to be coming back that day but if it’s one thing she knew it was that always to expect the unexpected from Logan.

Knowing him, after what happened, she was beginning to think he probably would never come back at all. That was why she was so relieved when she saw that a lot of his belongings were still there.

You left behind some clothes
My belly summersaults
When I pick them off the floor
My friends all say they're worried
I'm looking far too skinny
I've stopped returning all their calls


At lunch, things weren’t any better. She hardly touched her food. Luckily, no one mentioned Logan but still she excused herself early.

She was about to head to her room when she decided to go back to Logan’s.

And no of course we can't be friends
Not while I'm still this obsessed
I want to ask where I went wrong
But don't say anything at all


She was looking out the window when in the corner of her she spotted something in the trash can near his desk. Beside an empty coffee styrofoam cup was a picture. She picked it up and when she saw what it was, tears came to her eyes.

It was a picture of her and Logan soon after the Liberty Island incident. As a reaction of pain she yelled and ripped it up. Once she threw it to the ground, in tears she quickly fled the room.

It took a cup of coffee
To prove that you don't love me


Little did she know that from the bathroom connected to the room, the man she loved was watching and feeling as much pain as her.



Cup of Coffee- Garbage

You told me you don't love me
Over a cup of coffee
And I just have to look away
A million miles between us
Planets crash into dust
I just let it fade away

I'm walking empty streets
Hoping we might meet
I see your car parked on the road
The light on at your window
I know for sure that you're home
But I just have to pass on by

So no, of course we can't be friends
Not while I'm still this obsessed
I guess I always knew the score
This is how our story ends

I smoke your brand of cigarettes
And pray that you might give me a call
I lie around on bed all day just staring at the walls
Hanging round the bars at night, wishing I had never been born
Give myself to anyone who wants to take me home

So no, of course we can't be friends
Not while I still feel like this
I guess I always knew the score
This is where our story ends

You left behind some clothes
My belly summersaults
When I pick them off the floor
My friends all say they're worried
I'm looking far too skinny
I've stopped returning all their calls

And no of course we can't be friends
Not while I'm still this obsessed
I want to ask where I went wrong
But don't say anything at all

It took a cup of coffee
To prove that you don't love me...