At some point during the night she had fallen asleep. She woke up when somebody grabbed her none too gently and she struck out blindly, kicking and scratching. Her assailant was however quite determined, and as soon as she realized exactly who it was she stopped struggling. Logan. Somehow he had gotten loose, and was dragging her out from the main cave. She knew she should have screamed. She should have woken up everybody and they would have forced Logan to let her go. But was it really what she wanted?

She relaxed. Logan swung her over his shoulders like a sack of potatoes and took off, turning to a corridor that seemed to lead deeper in to the darkness. He wasn’t running, but his stride was swift and efficient. She noticed that he avoided stepping on to soft sand and chose his footing so that he would leave as little traces as possible.

He didn’t smell of leather anymore, and the scent of metal she had learned to relate with him was somehow much sharper. She noticed that he had covered his bare torso with remnants of the blankets he had laid on earlier. And he seemed to avoid touching her bare skin with his bare hands. Was it really possible that he remembered her?

“Logan?” She whispered.
“Shut up.” Voice was low, words nearly unrecognizable, but he had spoken. She decided to do as he told her to do and kept her mouth shut even when her mind was a whirlwind of questions. He’d explain later, she was sure of it.

The corridor looked like it would expand endlessly. She had to keep swallowing to prevent her ears from clogging up, and few times Logan stumbled in the darkness, sliding downwards before he managed to find his footing again. Finally however they reached his destination.

It was a small cave. A chamber, in fact. Right in the middle of it was a rift that glowed red light. The whole place was hot as an oven. Logan lowered her carefully on to the ground, guiding her further from the rift and they sat leaning their backs against the wall.

“What is this place? Why did you brought me here?” She asked. Logan picked up a small pebble and threw it in to the rift. Swarm of sparks rose from the red glow.
“This is probably the only truly safe place for you right now. We are going to hide in here until Scott and his raiders are gone.”
“But they need our help!”
“Only one in need of help is the Kingdom.”
“But…”
“Scott and his men are under spell. Dark Phoenix is using them to capture the rest of the free men.”
“You’re wrong!”
“I’m right.”
“How would you even know anything? You disappeared long before the war, you weren’t there when they came for my father and…”
“I was there! I was there and there was nothing I could do to stop them! Your father sent me away when it came apparent that Dark Phoenix would get through his barricades! He sent me away and asked me to salvage what was left and run!”
“But Scott said…”
“Doesn’t matter what he said. He betrayed us. Betrayed you, your father and me.”
“No! That can’t be!”
“It got ugly. I was supposed to fight with Drake. Defend your honor. I… I went to see the blacksmith. He… He did these,” Logan said, releasing his claws once again. She reached with her hand, then at the last possible moment pulled back, unsure. Logan nodded.
“Just be careful. They’re sharp.” He held his hand steady and she let her fingers slide over the dull edge of the metal that now coated the claws.
“He did those. And coated rest of my bones as well. When I was… When I was better, I left. Went to the arena to answer Drake’s challenge. Only he wasn’t there anymore. Robert and his father had left already. Dark Phoenix and her troops were trying to break through your father’s army and fortifications. I guess she had sneaked over our border when your father’s attention was turned to the whole mess between Robert and… You.”
“Oh, my Goddess…”
“I did what I could. In the end when it became clear that there was nothing we could do, no way to stop the sorceress, your father told me to find you and keep you safe. Hide you from the Dark Phoenix, because he needed a strong general to command the resistance after the Phoenix got him and your brother.”

She sat stunned in silence for a while. It was hard to believe a word from what Logan had told her, but he really didn’t have any reason to lie. Or had he?

“How do I know that you told me the truth?” She asked, scooting further from him. Logan shook his head and let his gaze drop on to the ground beneath his bent knees.
“You don’t. But you once trusted me. Can you trust me now?” He asked.
“I don’t know. Can you give me a reason to trust you?” She asked. Logan raised his gaze, his eyes narrowed to tiny slits.
“And what the hell is that supposed to mean?” He asked.
“I waited you. Waited for you to come. Every single day I waited and decided to make by yet another day and night just because tomorrow you might come looking for me. It wasn’t you who came! Scott came and brought me here!” She hissed. Logan snorted, picked up a pebble and threw it to the rift, raising another swarm of sparks and almost translucent flames up in the air.
“Does it matter who brought you here?” He asked with strangely calm voice. Then turned to look at her. Defeat was written all over his demeanor.
“I… I failed your father. I failed Scott. I failed the whole kingdom. But I swore to your father that I wouldn’t fail you. I promised to keep you safe and help you with any way I can. My wow to your parents, your family and to you still stands. I will lay down my life for you rather than see you harmed in any way. But it’s your choice. Go with Scott if you think that I’m a liar.”

It was easy to fell to the old patterns of scavenging dingy caverns for food and water. And now she had companion to help out sniffing out maggots and snails, as well as rats.

Not once in her remembered life had Logan lied to her.