“We found him when we were exploring the caves. Lost three men before we managed to bring him down. If that wall hadn’t collapsed straight upon him, I’m sure we wouldn’t be talking right now…”

She shut off the voices of the men that were sitting around the campfire in the large cave. She couldn’t bear to listen to the gruesome details of how they captured Logan. Logan. What on earth had happened to him?

She crept closer to where he laid on a pile of tattered blankets. He appeared to be sleeping, though his head had bent to odd angle because of the thick iron collar around his neck.
“Rogue? Be careful. He’s… He’s not the man you knew before,” Scott whispered. Without her noticing he had crept closer as well and placed his arm protectively over her hunched shoulders.
“What happened to him?”
“Nobody knows. He just appeared one day and started attacking these men. They had to restrain him. They… They tried killing him first, but since he wouldn’t die they thought they could use him as a guard.”
“Oh, my Goddess…” Her gasp made Logan open his eyes. He laid there unmoving, those hazel orbs taking in her appearance. Focusing on to Scott’s hand on her shoulder. And suddenly his lips curled to a grimace, low murmur rising from deep within his chest as he launched towards them.

This time he kept his claws in check, but his fist connected hard to Scott’s jaw, throwing him backwards and leaving Marie alone, giving Logan an opportunity to grab her wrist and pull her further in to the corner he regarded his territory.

Men all around the cave erupted in to action, baring weapons and rushing to her aid. In the commotion she managed to scramble away from Logan who was guarding his backside jealously, as if she were still there. When he finally realized that she had escaped he retreated back in to the shadows, away from men and their prods.

“I told you to be careful!” Scott shouted, standing up and grabbing her wrist none too gently, evoking surprised squeal from her which in turn made Logan trash against the chain that held him once again, this time claws bared.
“Let go!” Scott dropped her hand, and immediately Logan stopped growling. He held his gaze still on Scott, but started sniffling the air, curious look spreading on his face.

She swallowed and crept slowly closer. She could hear Scott cursing behind her, but to her relief her brother didn’t try to approach her.
“Logan?” She whispered, reaching out her hand. The man chained to the rock wall stretched his neck as if he was trying to get a better whiff from her scent.
“Logan? It’s me… It’s Marie…” She still crept closer. Suddenly Logan started to growl. Low, warning rumble, echoing from his chest. She just barely made it back to safety when he charged forward, his hands grasping the thin air as he tried to reach her.
“You better leave him alone. Let things cool down. We’ll be staying here for few days. You have time…” Scott spoke softly as she returned to the campfire.
“Time for what?”
“Time to see if he really still remembers you. He’s scared right now. But it looks like he knows you. At least on some level.”
“Is that why he tried to claw me?” She asked. Scott snorted.
“He tried to claw me. You… You were on his way. Don’t forget, he pushed you behind him when our men attacked.”

Rest of the night she kept thinking about Scott’s words and watching at Logan, who in turn kept an eye on her, his lips curling to bare his teeth every time somebody passed her too closely.