Cavern was narrow at first, but started to widen and branching to different sections. Some of them had been blocked by rockslides for long ago; she could even distinguish skilled masonry in front of few of them, solid proof that the threat of the Cerberus had been taken seriously even though the beast in question remained hidden. The air was practically glowing. Greenish light came from the walls where some sort of fungus resided. It was dry and warm, much different than she would have expected.

“I have been in here only once before, but don’t worry. I remember the right route,” Scott said.
“You brought them here.”
“I brought what was left of my troops after the battle. When we came, farmers were already moving in, barricading extra corridors and entrances and gathering supplies.”
“Why? Why here?” She asked.
“I… I’m not going to lie to you, Rogue. I came here to get help.”
“But how did you knew about the farmers?”
“I didn’t. I came to look for the Cerberus.”
“Cerberus? What’s wrong with you, Scott? That thing is a monster!”
“Calm down. I was going to find it, then see if I could tame it. If it were even as half as fierce as the legends tell, it would be a mighty ally. But farmers confirmed what father already suspected. It’s disappeared. Probably gone for good.”
“That’s good. I know you Scott. You’re not stupid. But you’re stubborn. You would have wasted your life if you thought that there was even a slightest chance of taming the Cerberus.”

Scott huffed and stopped, turning to look at her.
“We’re in a situation where we need any help we can get. We can’t afford to shy away from possible resources just because obtaining them might be dangerous. And more powerful allies we find, the better army we can construct and the better chances we have to throw Drakes and Dark Phoenix out.”
“I understand it. But what’s the price you’re willing to pay for that army? And won’t we need all the loyal men we can find to fight drake’s army? We hardly can afford to feed them to some mystical creature…”
“I already said that I wasn’t going to keep chasing Cerberus!”
“Only because it’s gone.”
“And does it really matter why I quit hunting it?”
“Probably not.”
“Good. Come on. I’m sure people already heard our little scuffle. There should be a welcoming party waiting for us behind the next corner. Don’t scream.”

She couldn’t have screamed even if she wanted. There was a group of men waiting, armed with long metal prods. Something was writhing on the floor, bound by heavy chain, snarling and growling, straining against the chain, trying to break loose.
“Scott! Like our new watch-dog?” One of the men asked, yanking the chain and sending the beast tumbling on its back. Green light revealed very human features, distorted from rage.
“Logan…” She whispered, stepping forward. The man she had once known as her protector scooted on his hands and knees and leaped towards her, claws oozing from his clenched fists, aimed at her. At the last possible moment he came to the end of the chain and fell on to the floor again, his claws striking sparks from the stone, metal gleaming wetly in the sickly green light.