Horse was straining and panting under her. She wasn’t used to this kind of speed, but Scott tried to make it easier for her, telling her how to sit and where to hold on. Trees practically flew past her, and she had to close her eyes. She tried not to imagine what would happen if they hit a low branch at this speed. Yet she could see it clearly. Horse whinnying, Scott falling backwards, his skull split open… She clutched his waist harder and buried her face against his back. Scott wouldn’t let that happen. He was an arrogant bastard, but this wasn’t anything new for him. He knew what he was doing.

“We’re getting closer,” she heard Scott shouting over the wind. She could feel the horse slowing down.
“Closer to what?” She asked.
“Few farmers stayed loyal to the throne. They’re hiding in those caves with what’s left of father’s troops. We’ll start from there,” Scott explained and the horse stopped. She raised her gaze. Right in front of her opened a dark mouth of a cave. It looked somehow familiar. She could smell sulphur. Ashes. And it clicked.
“They’re in there?” She asked. Scott nodded and stepped down from the saddle.
“It’s the last place Drake’s will look for them,” he said, offering his hand to support her when she half fell, half slid down from the saddle.
“Drake’s are not stupid. Is… How… It’s not safe to go in there.”
“It’s safer than fell in to the hands of Drakes and Dark Phoenix. Cerberus… It has been quiet for years. And father believes it was buried behind a rockslide few years back. We should get in before anybody sees us.”

Cerberus. Nobody knew what twisted force had created it. Humungous beast with three heads, able to withstand the heat that lava flowing deep inside of the earth created. And immensely possessive of its territory.

“Come on. It’s warm in there.”
“Father always told us to stay clear from this place. I used to have nightmares of it…” She couldn’t stop the trembling that started when Scott urged her to follow him.
“I’ll look after you. I won’t let that ugly beast get his paws on you,” Scott murmured, grabbing her wrist.
“You promise?” She asked. Scott nodded. In the past her brother had been an annoyance. Once she had even plotted his assassination. Only formed a plan, fully intending to make it happen when it all got too much and she couldn’t bear to see his obnoxious grin or hear his snide remarks anymore. But now there was no arrogance on his face or in his voice. Scott was being completely serious and honest.

She fixed her gaze to the mouth of inferno and raised her head. Followed Scott in to the darkness.