She shoved the basket with potatoes and carrots to a chamber where they would stay nice a cool, bitter rage churning inside of her. She knew that Scott was right. As much as she wanted to storm to the castle and free her father, free this land, it was impossible. If this dark Phoenix was as powerful as Scott claimed, able to wipe down a whole army with one blow… What on earth could a simple girl do?

“Rogue?”
“Yes?”
“Are you… Are you absolutely sure that you don’t know where Wolverine is?”

She whirled around on her heels, urge to slap Scott rising.

“Do you think I would be here, barely making by if I knew where he was?” She hissed. Scott glanced towards the ground and swallowed.
“Probably not. I just thought… Since you’re so close with him and…”
“Close? I thought I was. But staying here has certainly cured me from that delusion. If he cared about me at all, he wouldn’t have left me here alone. He would have come to get me. He would have made sure that I was somewhere safe, not freezing my ass off and scraping bits and pieces just to stay alive for yet another day!”
“Yes. Yes, I’m sure you’re right… But I need to find him. I could really use his skills and…”
“So now he’s good enough for you? You hypocrite sonofabitch!” Her hand rose, but before her palm connected with Scott’s cheek Scott grabbed her wrist and gave her a sharp tug, sending her on her hands and knees to the ground.
“I never said that he wasn’t good! I just didn’t think that your relationship with him was appropriate seeing that you were about to be united with Robert! And for what it’s worth now, it wouldn’t have mattered to me even if you had your ceremony with Wolverine instead of Robert. I never liked Drakes.”

With that said Scott marched out. She stayed on the floor of the cavern, trying to comprehend what her brother had just confessed. And how carelessly he had acted, grabbing her like there was no danger at all. If her wrist hadn’t been covered with the sleeve of her tattered tunic… She shivered. Then pushed away the growing terror and uneasiness. Now wasn’t the time to act like a spoiled brat. If she fell apart now, nobody would pick up the pieces. Nobody but herself.

She shook her head and stood up, straightened her stance and marched after Scott. In the end they both had the same goal. To survive. Scott was holding the reigns of the horse, one hand braced over the saddle.
“Wait.” Upon hearing her voice he turned to face her.
“I’m… I’m sorry about my outburst,” she stuttered. Scott nodded and looked at her expectantly.
“I think you’re right. We should do what father asked you to do. We should start seeking allies.” That came out more firmly, and she raised her chin a bit higher.
“And we should try and see if we can find Wolverine. We might need his help if we wish to get rid of the Dark Phoenix.”
“Grab what you need. But pack lightly. We need to travel fast,” Scott said.