As she crept silently through the dark forest, her eyes cast to the ground to avoid stepping on to the berries she was gathering she couldn’t help thinking how nice it would be to have some company. Even a droid would do. Week after week in solitude, fearing for her life and making plan after another how to survive through yet another week made her jittery and jumpy. Every shadow, every snap and crackle made her flinch and seek cover. She hated feeling this weak and small. She hated being cold and dirty. She hated the fact that she couldn’t eat enough to satisfy her hunger because most of the food she managed to found she had to preserve for the future. For the future she wasn’t all so sure that she would even see.

She had stumbled upon a virtual goldmine. A small kitchen garden. Carrots and potatoes were just waiting for to be picked up. She was covered in dirt and huffing and puffing from the exertion, dragging a basket filled with her loot towards the hidden entrance of her sanctuary when it happened. A horse whinnied somewhere close by. Her footing slipped and she fell on her hands and knees, basket spilling over and all the potatoes and carrots went flying to every possible direction.

Her first reaction was to scramble after the vegetables before reason made her scurry fast to safety, hiding behind a pile of rubble.

The horse was getting closer. She tried to squeeze herself as small and unnoticeable as possible, her face practically buried to the dirt beneath her. As soon as she felt first little pebbles raining over her she knew it had been futile.

She raised her gaze from the ground slowly. Huge hooves, lightly covered with long, white hair. Strong legs, equally white. Wide chest and strong neck. Huge face with equally huge, brown and curious eyes that were slightly obscured with white mane. Horse huffed and shook it’s head, nostrils flaring. Her eyes traveled even higher and finally she was able to see the rider. He looked as perplexed as she felt. For a long moment they just stared at each other.

“Rogue?”
“Scott?”