Author's Chapter Notes:
this is for plum_evil’s Quotable Media Challenge.
David tried not to think about the girl who put him in a coma for six weeks. It was too hard. They told him that after he went into shock that she had laughed. He didn’t seem to remember it like that but trusted other’s memories better than his own. His own memories were broken, scattered, untrustworthy.

Only a few of his memories he trusted. But they were broken and scattered. But he trusted them none the less. They felt right. So he trusted them. He remembered that Marie was a sweet girl. And she was talking about taking a trip to Alaska after high school. And that he had wanted to kiss her. It was nice, what he could remember, nothing like the stories they told him now.



Marie didn’t tell Logan this, but she thought about David a lot. It was weird, because she could feel him in her brain but couldn’t remember any of his specific memories or feelings like she could with Logan or Erik. Maybe it was because he was the first person she had imprinted. It really didn’t matter why, but for some reason she thought about him more than the other two. She’d even tried to call him once when she heard he was doing better.

But more than that, she wanted to see him. To see with her own eyes that he was ok.

She’d always been told to be careful for what you wish for.



“Are you sure you don’t want me to go with you, Marie?” Logan asked for the tenth time since she had learned that her grandmother had died.

“No. I’m not. But I feel like I need to do this myself.”

“Maybe I could go and just stay at a motel or something, just so you’d have someone nearby,” he suggested.

“Logan, I appreciate the offer, really. I do. But I just feel like it’s important for me to go by myself. Besides, how would I explain to my parents about not taking up their offer to stay with them so I could stay with you?” she smiled as she finished packing the bag in front of her. “I love you Logan, but my parents need me. Especially Momma. Don’t worry, I’ll be alright. Now are you taking me to the train station, or do I get Remy to?”

“Don’t even think about askin’ Gumbo.”



Meridian looked exactly the same as it did when she had left three years earlier. She hadn’t left because of her parents, like everyone seemed to think; she had left for them. She explained this to Logan once and afterwards he never questioned her about it again. The population of Meridian hadn’t looked too fondly on the girl, on the mutant that had put the star football player in a coma for six weeks.

And now she was home again. David was still in a coma when she left, and she wondered how everything had turned out with him a lot. He was one of the people that she planned on looking up while she was home.

But first things first. She paid the cab driver that dropped her off in front of her childhood home. She picked her luggage up off the ground and headed inside.



“Yes, Logan, I’m fine…un huh…Of course, they’re treating me right. They are my family…Yes I know you’re my family too. Listen Logan, I have to go suga. I love you.”

“Interesting phone conversation, baby.”

“He worries, it’s sweet. How are you doin’ Momma?”

“I’m ok. I’ve been worse. Like when my only daughter ran off and didn’t let me know where she was for eight months.”

“Yeah, but ever since then she’s called you at least once a month and written you every week.”

“Yes she has done that,” Marie’s mother moved towards her daughter and hugged her. “It’s good to have you home, even if it’s only for a week or so.” Teresa held her daughter at arm’s length. “So. Tell me about this Logan. Does he make you happy?”

“He’s wonderful Momma. And yes he makes me happy.”

“Good. Cause I wouldn’t want to have to get on a train and go all the way to New York to straighten him out.”



Marie looked at the grocery list one more time. She had everything on it but one thing. And she had no clue what on earth a rutabaga looked like. She walked up to the man who was adding more bananas to a pile. “Excuse me, I’m a little confused. I need to find a rutabaga and have no clue what ta look for. Can ya help me?” The young man stood up and turned around. “David?”

“Yeah, that’s my name.”

“Ya, ya don’t remember me do ya?”

“Can’t say I do miss.”

“I’m, I’m Rogue—I mean, Marie.”

David looked at the young woman standing in front of him. From what everyone had told him, he was almost expecting her to have two heads. But the girl standing here was normal. Was even pretty. And had two striking white bolts on either side of her face.

“Oh. Um, hi.” He turned to find the vegetable she wanted. “Here ya go.”

“Thanks. So, um, whatca been up to?”

“Working here, finished high school. I’m plannin’ on goin’ to the community college next year. How ‘bout you? I heard you ran away.”

“Yeah. Ended up in New York.”

“City?”

“No. Westchester. But the city’s close by. We go there a lot when we’re not havin’ classes or somethin’.”

“Who’s we?”

“My friends at the school. Logan.”

“He not count as a friend?”

“He’s kinda my boyfriend.”

“Oh.”

“So. Well, thanks. See ya I guess.” She turned to leave.

“Hey Marie.”

“Yeah?”

“Um, did you laugh when I was goin’ inta shock?”

“No, David. I didn’t. I was just as terrified as you were.” She smiled a sad smile with tears in her eyes, and turned the corner. She knew why the tears where there. Because David looked broken. Something in his eyes that should have been there just wasn’t anymore.



“Logan, suga, come get me. Please.”

“What is it darlin’?”

“I just, I can’t stay here. Logan, I, I, I saw David today. He asked me if I laughed when he was goin’ into shock. I need you Logan. Please. I feel like I’m broken, I need you to fix me.”

“It’s ok baby. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

“Thank ya Logan. I love ya.”

“Love ya too Marie. I’ll see ya soon.”



“Is this where Marie’s parent’s live?”

“Yes it is. Can I ask ya who ya are?”

“I’m Logan,” he replied gruffly to the woman standing between him and Marie.

“Oh! Marie told me about ya. Come on in,” Teresa said opening the screen door. “We’ll go get her.”



“Marie, honey, you’ll never guess who’s here,” Teresa said knocking on her daughter’s door.

“Unless it’s Logan I don’t wanna see anybody,” the voice on the other side said.

“Ok, so maybe ya will guess,” Teresa smiled opening the door.

“Hey kid.” Logan had never been hit by a freight train before, but he was pretty sure he knew what it felt like now. The girl sobbing in his arms almost resembled Marie. “It’s ok baby, it’s ok,” he whispered into her hair as gloved hands clutched on to his shoulders. Logan nodded at Marie’s mother as she walked out of the room and shut the door behind her. “It’s ok. I’m here, it’s ok, your gonna be fine.”

“Logan, it’s just all too much. Everything. My grandmother, and then the other afternoon with David. And just bein’ back here. Half the people I use to know won’t even look at me. I wanna go home Logan. I miss everybody.”

“Ok, baby. We’re gonna go back. When do ya wanna go?”

“As much as I love my parents, as soon as we can Logan. As soon as we can.”


Two weeks later.


“She understood right? About you needin’ to come back?” Logan asked as Marie hung up the phone.

“Yeah. She just wants me to be happy. She said I sound happy. I told her I am.”

“Well I sure hope so. Cause I’d hate to think I dragged ya away from her for no good reason.”

“You big idiot.” Marie settled back onto the bed and into his arms. “Do you know how much I love you?”

“Um, no. I think ya need ta show me.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah,” he said leaning over to kiss the girl in his arms.

End