He was running. Every nerve ending bristling, lungs nearly bursting. Heart working in overtime. Long legs carried his lightweight body fast along narrow path in the forest. There were obstacles on his way, but he leaped over them easily, not breaking his stride.

Full moon was following his journey from a clear sky. Forest around him was deathly silent. He could hear every footstep, his heart pounding, even blood coursing through his veins was singing to him. He was no longer running. He was leaping, spreading his hands like wings. Every leap was longer than his last one, until he actually felt like he was flying.

Cliff was approaching, fast. Exactly what he had been looking for. His legs carried him faster, faster. He was picking up his pace. There was almost nothing left of his body. His muscles had turned to pure energy. Clean, white bones were nearly translucent, hollow. One last leap and he went over.

Falling. Land was rapidly closing in. Instinctively he spread his hands. Let tension seep to muscles in his forearms. Familiar short burst of pain. This time claws didn’t erupt from his hands. One after an other strong white feathers burst through his skin.

He let his wings carry him. There was so little left of him to carry. Next to nothing. Small strand of energy, floating in the air. Warm breeze started to pick up and he was evaporating. Soon he was gone.

Suddenly he was coming back. Gaining more energy, wings dissolving, transforming to more familiar shape. He was gaining weight and losing altitude rapidly. He tried to fight it, but it was futile. Last feather melted, liquid metal flowing back inside of him, making his bones heavy, and he fell.

Sharp edges of rocks tore and cut him. Small branches pierced his flesh. He was screaming from disappointment. For a brief moment he had been truly free. Now he was back in this prison, trapped in his mutilated body. He could feel poison bonding to his bone, burrowing deep inside of him spreading coldness.

He was healing. It was a slow process. Getting adamantium first extracted, and then fused back in however did wonders to one’s mental capacities. It gave certain level of clarity, a totally new perspective. So, first time when he met her after being quarantined to med lab nearly a week, he didn’t welcome her in open arms. He was snarling and growling, baring his teeth. Claws oozed out from his hands. She didn’t even flinch, but looked at him straight to the eyes. And when she spoke, he cried.
“I’m not going to let you bail out from your promise.”

Planet Freedom. Access denied.