Author's Chapter Notes:
Week 24.
One evening, when Rogue was at 24 weeks gestation, Jean decided to drop the bomb.

She was alone with Rogue, Logan and the Professor, and had spent most of dinner toying with her mashed potatoes, trying to think of a way to make her point without either Logan or Rogue – or very likely both – blowing up at her but she was pretty sure there was no way around it.

So, just when Rogue started delving into her second helping of ice cream, Jean said, “Rogue, I think we should go for a planned c-section.”

The couple simultaneously dropped their silverware, Rogue staring at Jean wide-eyed and Logan’s lip curling unpleasantly.

“What?,” he ground out after about 15 seconds of horrible, heavy silence, and Jean shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She was pretty certain she could hear Charles think something that sounded suspiciously like ‘Uh-oh’.

Drawing a deep breath, she said, “I’m only concerned for Rogue’s health here, Logan.”

“Well, you can take your concern and shove it up your...”

“Logan.” Marie was still staring at Jean. “Why?”

Jean folded her hands in front of her. “Well, given the nature of your mutation, it might be the wisest thing to do.”

“But you said the baby’s okay.”

“It is. For now.” Jean went into full-on doctor mode. “But there is always the risk of fetal distress during a vaginal birth, and I have a feeling that in your case it might be even more likely. Not to mention that it’s very probable that you’ll lose control over your power.”

“And how likely is it that nothin’s gonna happen with a c-sec?” Logan was flexing his fingers, and aggression was coming off of him in such strong waves that it made Jean dizzy.

“I can’t give you definite numbers, but...”

“I’m not gonna do it.”

Jean and Logan turned to Rogue. The Professor continued eating in perfect calm, assessing the situation.

“But Rogue, you and the baby could be seriously hurt.”

“That’s life, isn’t it?” Rogue smirked a little, as Logan squeezed her thigh under the table.

Jean was completely floored. “But... you can’t... I...” Then she did what she always did when things didn’t go as planned. “Professor, say something, please. I’m right, or not?”

Charles put down his fork and folded his hands above his plate. “You are right. Rogue and her child could be hurt.” Jean started smiling triumphantly. But he cut her off. “But it is not your place nor is it mine to tell Rogue what to do. Birth is a very private thing, and I can completely understand Rogue’s wish for natural birth.” His eyes darkened. “So many things are deemed ‘unnatural’ for us already. This one thing should be normal for all of us, don’t you agree?”

Jean stared at him for a second, then threw down her napkin. “Fine. I see I’m outnumbered.” Without another glance at either of them, she left, leaving the room in a moment’s uncomfortable silence.

Then Rogue pushed back her chair, went over to Charles, and hugged him as though her life depended on it. “Thanks,” she whispered.

_____________________________________________________________


Later that evening, Logan was watching a hockey game while Marie surfed the net, chewing on a pencil. Her brow was furrowed in concentration as she read.

“What’ya lookin’ at?”

Tapping the pencil against the screen once, she turned to him. “I got it.”

End of Chapter 6