Author's Chapter Notes:
Birthin' time. :)
“I wish I knew what was going on.” Jean was pacing Professor Xavier’s office, chewing on the nail of her thumb.

Scott rolled his eyes behind his ruby-quartz glasses. “If you don’t, maybe that’s because they don’t want you to.”

She glared at him, then turned to the Professor. “It’s like she has erected some mental shield around herself. I can’t read her at all.”

Charles smiled serenely, pressing the tips of his fingers together. “Neither can I. All I can see is that everything seems to be going fine. But as Scott said, they don’t want us there, so it is none of our business, and prying would mean to betray their trust in us.”

Jean scoffed. “I don’t see how she trusts me when she keeps me out like this.”

Scott couldn’t bite back his smirk. “Weren’t you the one who went all ‘Oh my God you’re gonna DIE’ on her when she came up with this?,” he asked dryly.

“Shut up, Scott,” she snapped, blushing furiously – something that clashed horribly with her fiery hair. “I’m a doctor. It’s what I do. I informed her of the risks.”

“I didn’t see you informing her of the risks of a caesarean.” Jean went awfully quiet, and Scott knew he’d crossed a line. “I’m sorry, Jean. It’s just... She’s not a child anymore. She makes her own decisions, and what’s more, Logan is there to make them with her.” I can’t believe I just said that.

“I know, Scott. But I’d just feel better if I could at least check on her once in a while.”

“Jean, I assure you, if anything were wrong, Logan would make sure she got all the help she needed.” Charles smiled again, patting Jean’s arm. “But right now, everything is going just as it is intended.”

_____________________________________________________________


Marie sat on the floor, between Logan’s legs, her hands resting on his knees. She was sweaty and exhausted and it fucking hurt, but she had a feeling it wouldn’t last much longer. Her eyes were closed, her head resting on Logan’s shoulder, and once again she wondered how someone whose bones were encased in indestructible metal could feel this soft.

Another contraction hit her, running through her back like fire, and she panted harshly. She felt the urge to push, but she suppressed it. It hurt like hell but she knew – she just knew – that it wasn’t time yet.

“Up,” she panted. “I need... Up...”

Logan crawled out from behind her and helped her to her knees first where she rocked back and forth for a while but then her hand came up and he carefully pulled her to her feet. Her pain was overpowering, but at the same time he had never seen her look this serene, this controlled.

Taking long, deep breaths, she entwined her hand behind his head, letting his body hold her upright as she rocked on her toes. She could feel it. The baby was sliding down, ready to be born. Sighing deeply, she reached between her legs. “It’s time.”

The Wolverine in him had known before she said the words, and he calmly slid to his knees in front of her, offering her his shoulders to steady herself. “You can do it.”

She grinned. “I am doing it.” Leaning on him, she spread her legs a little wider just as she felt what she had so many women read describe as the ‘ring of fire’ as the baby’s head passed her cervix. “God...” She whimpered, forcing herself not to grit her teeth and instead take deep, steadying breaths.

“I see the hair, darlin’.” Logan couldn’t stop the grin, and sudden nervousness overwhelmed him. It was as though he only now realised that this was really going to happen – he would be a father. The head appeared, full of dark hair.

Marie panted, burying her nails in Logan’s shoulders. But then she halted. Her eyes met his, and she breathed deeply, perfectly calm.

And with one gentle, final push, their baby slid out into Logan’s hands.

End of Chapter 10