{Present Time}

She knew she heard something.

Almost indistinguishable from the normal sounds of the night, and if Marie hadn't been only half-asleep, she never would have stirred at the slight noises. The soft sound of metal sliding through skin--booted feet walking so lightly on loose tile--God, he had amazing balance, she'd seen the slope of that roof.

{Logan.}

He was early.

Marie came fully awake, every sense on alert, feeling the smile turning up her mouth. Slowly, knowing he was listening for her, she slipped her feet to the floor on the soft rug. Got up, grabbing her gloves to pull them back on, knowing somewhere downstairs, security was probably going haywire and not much caring. Quickly, she made it to the window, pushing it open, looking outside with a giggle she couldn't quite suppress.

"Took you long enough."

He looked at her like she was crazy and she couldn't help the laugh that bubbled out of her then, even as he stepped inside, engulfing her in a hug that took her breath and lifted her off her feet, the arm around her waist tight, fingers sliding through her hair, pressing her close. She buried her head against his shoulder, taking in a long breath, closing her eyes, flooded with utter relief that she'd never, ever let Logan even guess. She could just imagine his reaction to the idea she'd been worried.

"Planes aren't easy to follow, kid." He pulled back, letting her on her feet, staring at her face, gloved thumbs tracing her cheekbones. "You all right?"

"Fine." Anticipated his next question. "They're okay--though I'm guessing we only have a few minutes before they figure out where the security risk went." She shook her head. "What, couldn't use the front door?"

A lopsided grin, before his hands slid back down to her waist, across her back--as much to check her for injury as to simply touch her.

"More fun this way--thought I'd surprise you." She shook her head, leaning into him, then she was suddenly off her feet and felt him deposit her on the bed while he looked down at her. Instantly, the grin disappeared when she winced and she felt him sit down, running a hand down her side, then across her stomach. Every muscle in his body tensed under her fingers against his back "Shit. Fucking--who the hell--"

"They didn't." She covered his hand, trying to sit up, but a strategically placed hand met her forehead and neatly pushed her back while he lifted her t-shirt, checking the damage himself, tracing the line of the bandage. A soft hiss, and Marie covered his hand with her fingers. "Creed." The hazel eyes met hers. "Logan, don't. Just cool down. Anyway, they picked me up--God knows how they found me or why the hell they were even there--but they brought me back here." Reaching up, she traced his face with one hand. "Damn good doctor, I think--I checked in the mirror. I don't think there'll be any scars. You even try to touch me to speed this along, I'll knock you out, got it? I'll be fine. It's almost healed."

His weight shifted and she turned her head so she could look at him--even in the dim light, it was comforting to see him there, the thoughtful frown, and he lowered himself down on one elbow to look at her, the hand on her stomach absently drawing soft circles. She studied him--he looked exhausted, which probably meant he hadn't slept in a couple of days. Damn. Gently, she traced the lines of his face, running her fingers across his jaw and smiled when he bit her lightly.

"You scared me, baby." A breath against her skin and she smiled at that. "Why the fuck were you in Laughlin? When I got back--"

"Just information," she answered vaguely, knowing he'd get the whole story out of her eventually, but not really wanting that now. "Not a big deal anyway. How'd you find me?"

"Easy." A slightly amused breath. "You had quite a crowd there to watch the show--and they sure as hell were willing to talk with the right persuasion."

"You threatened them." Marie stared at the ceiling. "This is what happens when I go on vacation."

"Your own fault."

"Fuck you."

"You like it when I do that."

She felt herself flush and dropped her eyes.

"Do you ever think of anything else?"

Another grin, and she shook her head, felt the strong fingers curl in her hair, pulling her closer.

"I don't have any control right now. Don't tempt me." A brush of lips against her hair, then his arm went around her waist, pulling her against him and she grinned a little, burying her head against his arm. "Logan--"

"You wanna go now?" Obviously, he did, and it showed.

"Not yet." She felt him stiffen, looking down at her for a moment. Eyes narrowed with thought, with that edge of distrust--not of her, but of any circumstance that he felt was threatening. Marie was used to that--had many kinds of gratitude that his instincts were so good. Just wished right at this moment, they'd shut down, because Logan working off instinct was pretty damned stubborn.

"You like them."

"They're--they're good people." Marie focused her gaze on the wall behind him, knowing his reaction.

"This I know." A moment of silence, and he levered himself up, glancing around the room briefly. "And fucking idiots. You know the rep as well as I do--I don't want you mixed up in their crap."

"I'm already mixed up in their crap, sugar. Eric directed it--he gave the order."

Silence, and then Logan turned away, staring at the far wall. His hands clenched and Marie simply waited, knowing his temper had to run itself out.

"How much've you told them?" Quiet.

"Not much--but there are two telepaths in this house, and both of them are suspicious. We can't keep it hidden forever--and it's gonna come out, Logan. If Xavier hasn't heard rumor--" she stopped, looking at him for a moment. "You didn't have a choice, sugar. I know that. But we gotta come clean eventually--or when they figure it out, it'll be that much harder to explain. Xavier has contacts all over--if he gets interested enough, he can find out most of it, and probably not the best version of it either."

Almost absently, he rubbed the bridge of his nose, then looked at her. He was thinking it over, and half the battle was already won. Marie relaxed, reaching out to cover his hands with hers, fingering the knuckles softly until the tension decreased and he turned his hand over, lacing his fingers through hers.

"You're worth it. If this place is our best bet, I'll take your word for it--though their security ain't that great." And a soft sigh, that meant at very least he was filing her information away for future reference. "Give me the short version of your little--fuck, I think the welcome wagon just arrived."

Before he even finished the words, Logan was on his feet and the door opened, spilling light and about six rather disheveled people into her room, still in their pajamas, looking a cross between sleepy and alarmed.

When she saw Scott in front, however, she paused, wishing she'd remembered this all important bit of information--and hoped to God that Logan was so taken with having Several Possible Hostiles in the room that he wouldn't focus too much on a single one. Because that was something Marie just didn't feel like she could deal with right now.

"Rogue?" It was Jean, coming to the forefront, forehead creased with obvious effort, and Marie guessed she was keeping rapport with Scott, to keep him from overreacting or doing something that they would all quickly and thoroughly regret.

Then she grinned, couldn't help it, seeing the looks of utter shock on the faces of the X-Men as they took in the scene. Their security actually was pretty damned good, truth be told, and she knew that Scott would be obsessing about this for several weeks to come. Before anyone got any odd ideas, Marie got to her feet, meeting Jean's startled eyes and putting herself physically between Logan and the X-Men milling in bewilderment at her door.

"Hey." A quick look around the room, reaching out a gloved hand and catching Logan's fingers in hers, palm covering his knuckles--just in case. Then looked straight at Jean, willing her to do something--anything. "This is Logan. Logan--" and her smile widened as she took in the faces, "meet the X-Men."



If anything could make the X-Men nervous, it was the man standing in between them and Rogue. Jean, after several moments of thought, decided it was his distrust that was putting them all on edge--she got the distinct impression the only thing that was stopping him from picking up Rogue bodily and walking out was the fact that it was obvious she was no where near ready to be moved. That didn't mean he had to like the restriction, though, and he made that plain, with every look, every growl, and every movement of his body.

Jean took a moment to take in the posture as he leaned against the footboard, his gaze never leaving any of them, though not settling on any one of them either. She felt the measuring glance run over her and fought to stay still under it--this was a suspicious man.

"She's okay?" The question was grudging at best, spoken low, and Jean saw he was rubbing one knuckle distractedly. A quick glance back at Rogue, then his gaze circled the room again.

"She'll be fine in about a week. It was a clean wound," Jean answered quickly, keeping her voice calmly professional, knowing somewhere in the back of her mind that she'd be having headaches for the next week from the feeling she was getting off of Scott. Or Scott would be spending his nights in Xavier's shielded rooms; either one worked. She wasn't going to be picky.

Logan nodded, glancing back, and Jean watched Rogue's slow smile--and one gloved hand reached out, covering his on the bed, a quick, almost invisible shake of her head. Interesting.

"Maybe we can do the introductions tomorrow," Jean said finally, giving her husband a long glance before reaching for his arm. "Rogue needs her rest."

Scott looked like he wanted to say something, but Ororo, being quick on the uptake, came to Jean's aid.

"That's a good idea."

:::Jean, I would suggest you have a long discussion with Scott before he meets with Logan tomorrow.:::

Jean jerked a little at the sound of the Professor's mental voice--then nodded. Should have guessed he wouldn't miss this.

:::I'm not sure that will be enough.::: A glance between the two men--if Scott froze any more, she'd have to get John to defrost him. :::I'll try. Something else is going on here, at least with Logan, though damn if I can figure out what.:::

:::Until I know why Magneto wants them, they need to be here. I suggest a talk with Rogue as well--I am receiving the impression that the antipathy is mutual.:::

Both interesting and true, and Jean wanted to explore that--Rogue had had a similar initial reaction to Scott, though far more muted.

:::You'd be correct.::: Jean sighed softly and looked at her husband. "Let's go, Scott."

A long glance that didn't take any psychic ability at all to interpret.

"We'll get you a room," Scott said slowly, and Logan stiffened. Before Jean could interfere--and what the hell was up with him tonight anyway?--Rogue lifted herself easily to her knees, one hand lightly resting on Logan's shoulder. Jean was sure she was the only one close enough to see the girl's knuckles go white, fingers pressing down with a lot more strength that she would have suspected existed in her body.

"He'll stay here." Matter-of-fact, neither apologizing nor defensive. "Thanks, Scott, Jean, Ororo," her smile took in the rest of them and a quick, almost dismissive nod, but Jean didn't miss the desperate look Rogue threw her way. "I'll see you in the morning." Without hesitation, Jean gave Scott's arm a jerk.

"Good night, then." And all but dragged her fuming husband out the door. The others came out behind them, still a little bewildered, and Jean closed the door quickly, hearing the sounds of something breaking--something wooden, perhaps, from the splintering sound.

"Who the fuck does he think he is?"

Logan meant them to hear that. She turned, setting the example, and led Scott to their room.



"Logan, if you don't cool down, you can damn well sleep on the roof."

"The idea is damn tempting." He was talking between his teeth, glances going periodically at the door, and Marie sighed, removing her gloves and extending one hand mutely.

"Logan, please--at least try to think. We've got more to worry about than you playing the part of a animal whose territory has been invaded. Cool down."

A spin and he dropped on the bed, giving her a long, level look.

"Fuck off, baby. I'm not in the mood."

Marie sighed as he took her hand.

"Get over it. They have a very nice little place you'll love--call it the Danger Room or something. You'll never wanna leave. Animatronics. Better than any simulator I've ever seen." She watched him take a breath, cooling down as quickly as he'd heated up, something she'd learned to expect. Logan did not do his best normal thinking in a temper. "Tell me what you found out in Vancouver."

"Depends on how well you can explain fucking around Laughlin." Fingers covered hers briefly before removing one glove, running an absent finger across her face when she nodded that she was concentrating. Then a curve down to her chin, sliding into her hair--and he leaned forward, covering her mouth with his, and Marie stopped thinking, stopped breathing, just took in everything--God she'd missed him. The brush of his tongue across her mouth, sliding over her lip, and she let him press her backwards, winding her arms around his neck. Without thinking, she locked a leg around his thigh, arching her back up against him, moaning softly when he let his full weight on her, deepening the kiss. Then a nip to her lower lip and he lifted his head, bracing himself on his elbows over her.

"Shouldn't have done that, baby." And she watched him take a deep breath, then another, then try to lever himself up. Instantly, she locked her other leg around his waist and grinned at his expression before he sat up, dragging her up with him. "Don't even think it. You're not well. Tell me what you were doing in Laughlin. Now." Fingers tangled in her hair, drawing her head up so she had to meet his eyes.

"Information."

"You take orders very badly."

"Look who I learned from." She snorted at his expression and lowered her head. "Look, I'm sorry--"

"We'll discuss it later--in detail. Tell me what happened since you got here." All business, and this was the part of him that no one ever saw except her, when he seemed to snap into another personality entirely, evaluating every word and measuring it against some inner standard. It never ceased to surprise her, the different facets of his personality.

Marie gave him the short version, watching his expression, before he untangled her hands--a hint of a smile at her protest, and laid her back down, giving a quick glance to her abdomen. But he was thinking, she could see that, and couldn't quite suppress her relief.

"You don't look as twitchy as I thought you'd be about this place, considering how you've reacted every time I bring it up."

She didn't ask about Scott either--it didn't look like Logan recognized him, though that circumstance was at best fleeting.

A sigh and she felt him twist a strand of her hair through his fingers--she remembered the first time he'd done that, absently, watching a movie in an Anchorage motel, and she'd held to her pretense of being asleep for all that she was worth, hoping he wouldn't notice.

"I talked to a few--graduates." A grunt that could have meant anything. "They told me that if I wanted to know about the Brotherhood, I should come here. When I went to pick you up--well, baby, next time you leave a note, be damned sure I don't have to rip apart the place to find it."

Marie turned her head away and instantly, he bent down, looking into her eyes.

"Don't do it again. Ever."

"You don't own me." She tried to put some kind of heat in her voice but failed. God, she must have scared him.

"Depends on what you call owning. Your stuck with me--the least you could do is spend some time taping a piece of paper somewhere visible. Leaving it lying on the desk--uh-huh, no." A growl. "You know how much I had to shell out to pay for the damage to the motel?"

"You need to practice keeping your temper."

A soft growl, and Logan shook his head shortly, dismissing an argument that they had pretty regularly anyway.

"How much do they know?"

"I didn't tell them much. I didn't know how much would be safe or if I'd be staying." A grimace. "Of course, I didn't know my stomach would be so fucking screwed up. Creed's hide is gonna make me a fine pair of gloves, sugar, that I'll guarantee you."

"If I leave that much of him."

That made her grin and she closed her eyes, finally feeling every muscle in her body begin to relax when leather-covered fingers slid down to the back of her neck, rubbing softly.

"You need sleep." A light touch against her face. She breathed out softly.

"I was sleeping until some idiot broke in my window." But she didn't protest when she was lifted up and the blankets turned back, then crawled across to the pillows, collapsing with a sigh. "Come on, lay down. If it'll make you feel better, mark your territory, break a few more things and howl or whatever it is you do when you gotta show off your manliness."

"You're pushing it, you know that?"

"I think it's cute. Really."

Another growl and she grinned into the cotton pillowcase while listening to him go around the room in usual Logan-type reconnaissance--habit was hard to break, she guessed, as she pulled up the sheet and heard him drop his jacket on the chair. "There are some clothes that'll fit you in the closet."

"You're taking a lot for granted." But she heard the grin he was dead refusing to let her see.

"The roof is cold and so am I--get your ass in bed. Please."

A grunt and she heard him open the closet door, rummaging through. "Shit, Marie, what'd you do, go shopping?"

Rolling on her back, she crossed her arms behind her head and looked up at the ceiling.

"It's a school--they have lots of clothes. Jean and I raided the supply closet. You're an easy size."

"Jean. Hmm. The doctor?" A muffled sound from inside--she'd guessed he found something he liked.

"You have a weird thing for redheads, you know that? It'd be enough to give me a complex." She watched him come out, sorting through the drawers quickly, finding the shirts she'd put in there that day. Smiled while she watched him strip, piling his clothes neatly in the chair from habit.

"What is she?"

"Mutant?" she answered, a little caught by the flex of muscles in his back. He turned half around and Marie drew in a long breath, letting it out slowly. She wasn't well. She was not well enough to do anything. At all.

But God, did he look good.

"You're funny, Marie. Really."

"Telekinetic. A little telepathy--not like the Professor." Marie rolled onto her side, enjoying the show when Logan pulled on the white t-shirt--she could do that. Watch. "You'll like him."

"My batting average for liking these people is one, and that's only because she got you sewn back into one piece." His voice was muffled and she watched as he ducked into another drawer.

"I figured you'd like her."

A pause.

"I don't need someone wandering around in my head. I got you pulling out things at random, thank you." He pulled on the sweatpants and Marie felt a familiar warmth in her stomach, the smile on her face begin to change. When he turned around, he took one look at her and shook his head. "No fucking way, baby. Told you already."

Marie lifted herself on an elbow, twisting a piece of her hair across her face. Another slow shake of his head, and he crossed the room, killing the lights.

"I'm fine."

"Move over and no, you are not." Pouting, she slid over and watched him sit down.

"Logan--"

"Don't start. Go to sleep."

With a sigh, she rolled onto her side, feeling his body slide up behind her, and took a long, deep breath, all the tension draining out of her. God, she hadn't realized how worried she'd been. An arm slid around her waist and she groped for her gloves, pulling them on blindly, covering his fingers with hers, laced against her shirt-covered stomach.

Then a long pause.

"I missed you."

She laughed softly.

"I can't believe you're admitting it."

A growl, then she felt him smile into her hair, pulling some away from her shoulder and biting her lightly through the cloth. "I've gotten to like not sleeping alone. Bad habit."

"I'm glad you're here," she breathed against the pillow as he settled behind her, feeling his leg pressed against hers, the arm beneath her head curving over her shoulder.

"Always, baby."

A pause, and Marie stared at the far wall briefly.

"Logan, you didn't say anything--"

"I recognized him."

Marie didn't say anything else about it, shutting her eyes.



Jean smiled as they came in the Professor's office. Rogue was not exactly a morning person, Jean noted, as the girl rubbed her eyes sleepily, but Logan looked much as he had the night before, if better rested.

And equally tense.

"How do you feel?" she asked, taking a step toward them and noting Logan's eyes on her--not so much suspicious as wary, an instant evaluation of her potential threat and dismissing it all in one look.

"If I say fine, can I get out of being checked out again?" Rogue asked. Logan, just behind her, growled something and she threw a disbelieving glance back at him. "You don't have a vote."

"Since when?" Jean watched him study the room briefly, and finally, it clicked, and she knew who that other personality in Rogue was. Made sense. Rogue, with a smile and a brush of fingers across Logan's arm, went to the coffee at the far side of the desk, and Jean tilted her head as he looked at her.

"Dr. Jean Summers," she said, extending a hand. A hesitation, then he took it, shaking it briefly before glancing at Rogue. "Do you need anything?"

"Out of here." He crossed his arms across his chest--classic 'I do not want to talk', and so unsurprising that Jean almost sighed herself.

"Be nice, Logan. Talk to the nice doctor, maybe you can share healing jokes." Jean turned to see Rogue's wicked smile, and Jean heard Logan sigh softly. "He's perfect regenerative--if I have to be in that damned lab, Logan, you do too. It's fun. She has drugs and big metal equipment that makes lots of noise."

"Not now," Logan shot, but Jean could see he was fighting a smile. "Drink your coffee."

Rogue leaned against the wall by the small table, cupping her mug in both gloved hands. Giving him another smile before she took a sip. Then she slowly straightened, strolling across the room, eyes going to the door as it cracked open and Scott and Ororo walked in.

That's when the tension took over and Jean saw Rogue's eyes narrow before she placed the cup on the edge of the desk, and the girl moved--perfectly casual, almost as if it was an accident--between Logan and Scott.

"Logan--this is Scott Summers and Ororo Munroe," Rogue told him, and damned if she didn't sound just as casual as she looked. "Cyclops and Storm, as I understand it."

Logan nodded at Ororo, but Jean didn't miss the look between Scott and Logan--and damn if she could figure out what it was either.

{He knows Scott.} Jean was sure of it, watching the flicker of the older man's eyes as they took his measure. {They've met before. Scott doesn't remember--but Logan does. Shit.} Looking at Rogue, seeing the tense look on the girls' face--remembering her early behavior to Scott as well and piecing it together--{I need to talk to Rogue, soon. Find out what happened. Because Scott doesn't know he knows them, and--and damn, damn, damn.}

"Good morning," and Jean almost collapsed in gratitude when Professor Xavier slowly wheeled in. The sharp brown eyes went up, fixing on Logan instantly, and Jean got the feeling the Professor knew too--had known, in fact, that Logan knew of them. The other man nodded briefly in response. "I'm Professor Xavier. Please, sit down." His glance went to Rogue, who had moved to stand by Logan, and Jean saw the girl's hand was lightly pressed against Logan's back. Then she moved by him, hooking a chair along the way, and finally, everyone was seated and damn, did it feel like a classroom.

Jean tried to remember the last time she'd felt this uncomfortable and honestly couldn't remember.

"Logan, I understand you are familiar with Eric Lensherr, from what Rogue has told me," Xavier said. Logan nodded, but Jean saw him give Rogue a quick glance, saw the girl's bare nod. "He has shown some interest in acquiring Rogue--though I'm not sure for what yet."

"He's been after her for awhile," Logan answered shortly. "You're not sayin' anything I don't already know. The question I gotta ask, is she safe here?"

An incline of the Professor's head, and Jean took a breath, letting it out slowly.

"Yes. The grounds of the school are protected from Eric or his associates. So you need not worry about her safety." A pause. "I would like to know, however, about your acquaintance with Eric."

For the first time, Jean sensed amusement from him, though Rogue was suddenly tense, eyes fixed on Logan, one hand covering his.

"Logan, sugar--"

"So you figured out that part?" Logan answered, then a small smile, one that made Jean shiver, an unconscious flexing of the hands. "That why you're holding Rogue here?"

Jean watched the Professor lean back, elbows braced on the desk, fingers lightly folded together. Something he hadn't told her, and that annoyed her somewhat, even if she didn't really have the right. She saw Scott's jerk, but a glance from the Professor froze him in place. Ororo, as always, was unreadable.

"I'm not Eric. I don't utilize blackmail, Logan. That's the first thing you need to understand. Nor would I hold Rogue here against her will--you are both free to leave now, if you wish. But I would assume that your deal with Eric is off, if he has sent Sabretooth after her." Then a pause. "What kind of deal was made?"

A deal. Jean stared at Rogue, watching the play of emotion on the young woman's face--anger, guilt, fear, and edges of frustration. She looked as if she wanted to say something, but her mouth shut tight suddenly and Jean saw that Logan's fingers had closed tightly over her wrist.

"Rogue's safety was guaranteed. I did a few things for him in exchange." Silence, and Jean saw the shock reflected on her husband's face. But Logan's eyes were fixed on the Professor, an intense gaze that made her want to intervene. She wasn't not what would happen if she even moved, if Logan was even aware there was anyone else in the room now. "Seems like he found out we were planning to break for it, though, if he felt comfortable sending Creed after us." Jean stole a glance at Rogue--the dark eyes were turned down and Jean saw a trace of tears before they were hastily wiped away.

"He didn't have a choice," Rogue said finally, softly, then turned her head, looking at Xavier. "Eric dictated the terms--we were--" she took a breath, letting it out in a slow laugh. "If I hadn't gone to Laughlin, we'd be gone by now, and even Eric wouldn't be able to find us."

"I suspected as much, Rogue." A slow, understanding nod, and damn, why hadn't any of them said anything about this to her? "I think Eric is also aware of Logan's ability to vanish when necessary," the Professor said gently, then turned back to Logan. "Do you know what he wants with Rogue?"

"No."

"Nor do I." A pause. "But I mean to find out. If possible. Until then--Logan, you have no reason to believe we have any intention of turning Rogue over to Eric. I would prefer you stayed, at least until she is well enough to move comfortably. And until I can find out what Eric wants with her."

A pause, and Logan glanced at Rogue, who nodded slowly.

"All right. Until Rogue's ready." Then a cool look that took them all in. "Then we're both gone." Without ceremony, Logan switched his grip to her hand, pulling her to her feet. "She needs to rest." Jean saw Rogue throw her a quick glance and forced herself to nod in return, then the girl turned away, letting him lead her to the door.

It slammed shut with an edge none of them could ignore. Ororo let out a breath.

"That was interesting," she murmured, her eyes meeting Jean's, and there was almost amusement on her face. "I guess Rogue wasn't exaggerating on his temper."

"I don't believe this," Scott muttered, already on his feet. "Sir--"

"Scott, we can't afford dissension right now." Scott stiffened at the sharp tone. "Do not make this situation more difficult than it already is."

"He works for Magneto, sir," Scott shot, and the Professor's eyes narrowed.

"He works for himself--I am going to ask that you restrain yourself until we know more. Jean, how much did you pick up?"

A little surprised, Jean leaned back in her chair, frowning--she understood his question however. Of everyone there, she'd spent the most time with Rogue, forming the closest acquaintance.

"He's telling the truth," Jean offered, leaning back in her chair thoughtfully, refusing to meet Scott's betrayed gaze. "Rogue's afraid, but not for herself." Thinking, remembering Rogue's expression. "Professor--I don't think they're a danger to us."

That was pushing it, she knew, seeing Scott's narrowed eyes, the beginning of protest that died when the Professor spoke again.

"I have to agree. We have only a few days--I suspect the second Logan feels Rogue can travel, he'll leave. And I need to know what Eric wants with Rogue before this goes too far."

"He's been interested in her for at least five years," Jean offered, and Scott jerked. "I've talked to Rogue--she's allowed me to ask some questions." Silence, and Jean uncrossed her legs, taking a deep breath. "I'll talk to them both--and Scott," she stopped, frowning a little, then decided to try anyway--even knowing exactly what his reaction would be. "It'd be better if you--" and failed to figure out a way to frame her request. Scott, face dark, did it for her.

"Stay away from them?" he answered coolly. "Fine. As long as they're watched." He turned to the Professor. "Remy and Bobby, I'll give the order, sir."

A slow nod, and Scott walked out of the room, deliberately closing the door softly behind him. Jean sighed, rubbing her forehead.

"That didn't go well."

"No, it went as expected. Logan would have been more suspicious with a private meeting--and Scott needs to know." The Professor sighed. "He'll expect to be followed, and it should be interesting to see how he handles it. Jean--" he turned a quiet gaze on her. "Rogue trusts you. I suggest you spend time with her--try to keep the lines of communication open. When I know more, I'll tell you." It was a dismissal, and Jean and Ororo both rose. "Ororo--"

"Sir?"

"Do you have anything you wish to add?"

Ororo smiled a little.

"I think they'll tell you in their own time, sir." Jean, startled, saw the woman's lips twitch. "But nothing else." She glanced down at her arm. "I have a class starting in a few minutes--if you'll excuse me. Jean--"

"Yeah," Jean answered, frowning a little. "Can you get Bobby to take my class? I need to go do a few things." A glance at the Professor, who nodded shortly, then she followed Ororo out.



Marie sighed as she sat down on the bed, absently pulling off her gloves. She had a feeling that if Logan had anything to say about it, she was going to get way to familiar with these four walls, and that just depressed her.

"That went badly." Though God knew, it could have gone worse, though not by much. The fact that Logan had yet to tear into anything had to be some sort of good sign.

"What the hell did you expect?" asked Logan, leaning against the door, giving her a long look, and she could practically feel the impatience coming off of him. "Marie--"

"Don't." Rubbing her temples distractedly, she lay back on the bed. "And the whole Rogue needs to rest crap was just great. I'm not an invalid."

"Look, I--." One step in, then his head snapped around. He looked around the room, eyes narrowing, taking a breath. "Someone's been in here."

Marie lifted her head, then sat up, blinking. Without thinking, she got to her feet, wishing rather paradoxically that she'd kept more of his abilities, because it was only the faintest linger in the room to her. "Who? Where'd they go?"

"Bed, back wall, desk--" Logan took a breath, eyes narrowing, and dropped into a crouch beside the chair, stripping his gloves and running his fingers under the seat, then beneath the desk. "Check the closet."

Unnerved, Marie ducked in, checking through the clothes, fingers running across the walls, closing her eyes to listen for the hum of bugs or video.

"They're pretty advanced," Marie said as she came out. "They could have something we haven't seen before. Find anything?"

Logan had dumped out three of the dresser drawers, going through them quickly and efficiently, before growling softly. "I don't recognize the scent--I will by the end of the day though." Marie didn't envy anyone who met up with him. "I don't like this." He sounded more thoughtful than angry, though, and that was odd enough to capture her attention completely.

"After what they found out, you think they should trust us?"

"Not that--" He stared at the door, then stood up. "Jean's coming."

"You know here scent that well already?" Marie shot, before she stared at the door and it reluctantly opened. Seeing Logan's gaze, she shrugged, tapping her head. "Jean."

The tall woman took one step in, then frowned a little, seeing the mess of clothes on the floor, the overturned chair. Logan leaned back against the desk, not moving, and Marie shot him a glance before finally taking a step toward her.

"Jean--"

"I think we need to talk." And Jean pushed the door shut behind her. If there was anything in her voice, it was anger, wonderfully controlled. "I don't expect you to understand us--but when were you going to tell us you worked with Eric Lensherr?"

Marie sighed.

"It's not that I don't trust you--"

"You don't." Cool, and it hurt Rogue, in a way she hadn't expected. "You know Scott and pretend you don't, you don't tell us about your deal with Eric--Rogue, what am I supposed to think?" And Jean spun around, looking straight at Marie. "Tell me how the hell I'm supposed to trust a single word you say."

A pause, then Marie glanced at Logan, who shrugged, keeping his gaze steadily divided between her and Jean.

"Jean--" she stopped, glancing at Logan again, and fuck him, he wasn't helping at all. If anything, he looked amused. Damn "It's not that easy, you've got to understand--"

"You know who and what we are," Jean answered, still in that cool, expressionless, and Marie shivered a little at the tone. "I've given you my trust--my memories--" Marie saw Logan's eyebrows jump at that, with a silent promise that they'd be discussing it once they were in private, "--and I expect at very least--"

"Jean." Marie half-rose, knowing that this was more or less up to her to fix. Shit. "I'm sorry. I just needed--some of this isn't mine to tell, you understand? And how the hell would you have reacted if I told you Logan worked with Eric, hmmm? I needed to know more--and I needed to wait, until I could be sure--." Marie sighed, shaking her head in frustration. "And apparently, either Logan's usefulness has run out or my value has gone up, because it's over anyway, and I knew that much when I saw Creed in the street." Marie paused, seeing the woman's eyes cool, and she looked like she would at least listen, which was something.

"I'll go find something to do," Logan announced suddenly, and Jean turned to look at him in surprise, but he was already going out the door.

"I'll find you later," Marie told him, and Logan nodded. The door closed with a click, and Marie led Jean to sit at the desk chair, pacing, trying to figure out a way to explain.

"It's a little odd, but I think--maybe this will make sense if I try to explain why we were put in this position. It was mostly my fault--Logan has certain principles that he wasn't entirely happy with breaking," she smiled at Jean's raised eyebrows. "Trust me, I know. I was only eighteen and things were--everything was very--different then. I didn't--" Marie shut her eyes, wishing she could still use that trace of telepathy that would help Jean understand. She dropped on the bed, staring down at her gloved hands, then at Jean. "I made a stupid mistake, Jean. The stupidest I've ever made. I was young, but that's no excuse. Just let me finish, and I think you may understand."