Introduction and Explanation

1.) I did not decide to write a novel--I decided to expand on a strange little short story I wrote for Darkstar's MRA challenge back last year and ended up with this. I think that story is trapped in Part III somewhere. It's taken most of my attention since May and it has a soundtrack. Or two. Go figure.

2.) If you're a fan of the sci-fi/fantasy/horror genres, the trigger is going to be somewhat familiar to you, though I've done some heavy remodeling since what I read won't work with the storyline I have in mind. The writer was Jack Finney and the book was called "The Third Level". If you get a chance, read it. Spooky doesn't begin to describe. My first reference to it was while reading Stephen King's "Danse Macabre", which utterly intrigued me in how it's the simple things that really take your mind on a major trip. I just wish I could have thrown in some Lovecraftian geometry theory so triangles wouldn't equal 180 every time, but maybe another day.

3.) Research: If I cited everything, this would be longer than the story. Let's keep with the stuff I had on my desk while writing.

"Schindler's List" by Thomas Keneally; "The Prince" by Machiavelli; and "The Defeat of the Mind" by Alain Finkielkraut (VERY quotable book, btw). Specific quotes are cited in the text. More internet articles than I can remember, and all my notes from my WWII in Film and Lit. class. The parallels aren't perfect, but close enough for jazz. Information from Minisinoo, Fyrdrakken, Shana Nolan, Ann, and Beth, who also looked for pictures of barbed wire. I have those still.

4.) Movieverse: I only borrowed from comics what I needed and adapted it as I saw fit; Betsy, Remy, Carol Danvers, and Hank. The history of Carol Danvers and St. John I'm borrowing from the L & L series, but you don't need to have read it to know what's going on with them, just a point of interest for those who have read it. Though I admit, Carol's slightly more mellow here; I'm assuming being trapped in Rogue's head has had a salutory effect on her personality.

Dedication: Darkstar, for her post-MRA challenge that turned out to be this--I actually managed to do it! Minisinoo, Deejay, Shana, Andariel, and Ann, who do the betas, corrections, questions about ethics, and midnight emails that probably don't make much sense but they answer anyway. Min for the title as well as the beta, long email convos I used for reference on both theme and character, and excellent advice on worldbuilding--she's a goddess and should be treated as such. Fyrdrakken, for commentary and an unusual conversation on idealism, not to mention the advice she gave me to complete Part IV and get Part V whipped into shape. Beth, jengrrrl, and Misty, for being ultra-supportive and kind enough to not comment on the fact I was obsessing over really irrelevant details, not to mention the AIM panic attacks I indulged in on a weekly (daily?) basis. And Sare Liz, my friend and usual co-writer, who is semi-computerless and therefore, I am in withdrawal from fun Sare-specific Ian-ness, Edward-ness, and Logan-ness.