Chapter 5: The Finale

It was just coming upon lunchtime and the ‘While You Were Out’ team was putting the finishing touches on each of the rooms when the crackling of a walkie-talkie filled the small cabin in the woods.

“He’ll be there in five minutes people. Get moving. Get moving!”

Marie felt her hands begin to shake and her heart begin to pound as Kitty and Jubilee squealed with excitement beside her.

Looking around her one last time, Marie hoped she hadn’t made a mistake. Maybe there’d been a reason why Logan had never showed any interest in renovating their home. Maybe he liked their home, their life…just as it was. Maybe—

Shaking her head to dispel her anxious thoughts, Marie gasped as Richard and Grace Ann each grabbed one of her hands and led her towards the door.

“Into position, people!”

The sound of the key in the door signaled Logan’s arrival and Marie was pushed to the forefront as the door swung open to reveal a very large, and slightly hairy, though undoubtedly handsome man.

“Hey baby…” Logan murmured, briefly returning his girlfriend’s kiss and hug, before darting a questioningly cautious glance over her shoulder at the camera crew standing behind her. “What’s goin’ on, darlin’?”

“Come in, sugah, come in!” Marie urged, ushering him inside and slamming the door shut behind them.

“Hello, Logan. I’m—”

“Holy shit! What the fuck happened here? Where's our couch?" Logan let his eyes roam over the room...green walls...shit-coloured furniture...that couch did look kinda comfortable, though...hmm. Wait a second--what the hell was that on the table? Potpourri? Geezus Christ….

Warm breath fanned his neck. “Wait ‘til you see what we did in the bedroom, sugah…” Marie purred in his ear. Logan merely raised an eyebrow at her, a small smirk curling the corners of his mouth. Then again, maybe it wasn’t all bad...

"Mister Logan!” Someone shouted suddenly. “Hello there! We're from TLC’s 'While You Were Out'—an interior decorating television show, where we re-decorate a room in someone’s house as a surprise for a lucky winner. Well, were you surprised?" Richard smiled warmly, coming to stand beside Logan and placing a hand on his shoulder.

Logan snarled and shrugged the man's hand off of his shoulder, "Who the fuck’re you?"

"I'm Richard Thompson. And this is the crew--Samantha Smith, Elwin Arthurs, and the brilliant designer, Grace-Ann Reddingfield," Richard smiled, pointing to each person, in turn. "And the whole thing, of course, was orchestrated by your lovely girlfriend, Rogue."

“Ohhh,” Logan groaned suddenly, realization dawning. “So the Molson trip thing was really—? Ohhh. Alright, so.…”

Marie smelled slightly nervous, which instantly put Logan on edge.

Gently wrapping an arm around her waist to pull her close, he lovingly stroked her side to soothe her. “Wow, sure had me fooled. Thanks, baby. I—uh…I guess it was time for—” Logan’s speech paused as his eyes halted in their perusal of the room. "Wait just a fuckin’ minute! There's no TV! Where the fuck's our TV?"

Turning on the crew, Logan's eyes narrowed to angry slits and he growled threateningly, "Alright, which one of you fuckers took it?!"

"Mister Logan!" Richard yelped, motioning frantically at the camera man to cut the volume on the mic. “The way the show works is to reward you for—”

"Yeah, ok. And did I ask how the show works, dicknose? No. I asked where the fuck my TV was..." he glared menacingly at Richard, Grace-Ann, and the camera man in turn, a low growl reverberating in his chest.

He heard Marie purr softly beside him and smirked inwardly. Still got it.

"Don't you worry your handsome self, Mister Logan. You still have your TV, but if you can guess why Rogue wanted to do this for you, then you can win a brand new, flat-screen plasma TV for your fabulous, new living room! Now, did she do it because—"

"Everybody get the fuck outta my house! No—not you, baby. You two can stay for now, but the resta ya—get out!” Logan snarled, almost yanking the front door off its hinges in his haste to be rid of all the cameras and bright lights. “You there—leave the TV!"

The excitement in the room went into overdrive as much of the crew rushed headlong for the door, leaving only the host and the camera man behind.

Richard hurriedly moved into position beside Marie, placing a casual arm about her shoulders as he began his usual spiel: “For ‘While You Were Out’, this is—”

"Get your beepin' hands off my girl, you beepin' beep before I take 'em off at the wrists!"

"Uh...for 'While You Were Out', this is Richard Thompson. Until next time..."

-x-

Marie turned the TV off and settled back into their brand new, deep chocolate-coloured suede couch with a sigh.

Logan's arm instantly wrapped around her shoulders and she couldn't help but laugh. "Ah can't believe you said that, Logan. The poor man looked like he was about to shit his pants."

Logan smirked mischievously, "Had to teach him a lesson, darlin'. You know how I get." Marie giggled in response to his macho bravado.

"Ah do. My favourite part, though, was when Rich asked you why you thought Ah'd done it and you growled sooo loudly at him that he nearly pissed himself. And then they just gave us the big screen, without you even answerin’ the question! Amazin’."

Logan smirked, breathing lightly on his nails before mock-buffing them against his shirt. "Well, ya know me, darlin'—always out to please... And anyways, I had every reason to be pissed with 'em. They sent friggin' Scooter with me! Though that's probably more your fault than theirs, eh?" he asked, raising a dangerously sexy eyebrow in Marie’s direction.

"Sorry 'bout that, sug, but Ah needed Kitty-Kat this weekend to help out and Scott watches the show all the time and knew we'd need an insahde guy... But asahde from that! Do you at least lahk how it turned out?" Marie asked exasperatedly, though a hint of humour tinged her tone.

Logan glanced around their cabin, "Sure, what's not to like? Well...except for that gay purple thing by the fireplace."

"We can get ridda that."

"Good. And…the waterbed's pretty fun. Just gotta remember not to pop my claws when I come anymore, though..." Logan murmured thoughtfully and Marie just giggled, snuggling into his side and laying her head down on his shoulder as she looked up into his face.

"...And it doesn't hurt that I didn't have to open my wallet, either," Logan continued with a cheeky grin, making Marie laugh out loud.

"Oh and Marie?"

"Yeah, sugah?"

"I forgot just one other thing..." Logan murmured, sweeping a stray lock of hair out of her eyes and laying a tender kiss upon her forehead.

"What's that?" she whispered softly, taking Logan's free hand and lacing their fingers together. A pretty pink blush stained her cheeks as she smiled softly down at him in question.

Logan smiled and gently placed their intertwined hands atop Marie’s belly before looking up into her dark eyes. "I love you."

thEnd