Chapter 4: Interlude

“Hey, hey, hey! Rise and shiiine; it’s morning tiiime!”

“Uuugh, nooo…. Go awaaay,” Kitty groaned, moving sluggishly onto her side and covering her head with her pillow.

“Sorry! No can-do, ladies.”

Wondering at the feeling of warm breath currently fanning her neck, Marie shifted her position and burrowed deeper into her blankets, opting to ignore the intruders for the moment.

“Wooow. Y’all did an absolutely amazing job last night. I can’t wait to see the rest of the house. But first—I brought coffee and muffins.”

“Coffee?!” Jubilee shouted excitedly, instantly bouncing up from a deep slumber to graciously accept a cup of coffee and a cranberry muffin.

Marie grunted and cracked one eye open to glare at the owners of the annoyingly-chipper voices.

Fingers of early morning sunlight seeped in through the closed drapery, bathing the small room in warmly glowing orangey-yellow tones.

Wow, they really had done an awesome job…

Sitting up to take one of the proffered cups of coffee, Marie took a sip before stretching her sore muscles and glancing around at her home with fresh eyes.

The kitchen had been painted a soft, golden yellow to bring out the warm undertones in the oak cabinetry and matching table and chairs that Logan had hand-crafted himself.

The plain white, linoleum floor had been replaced with a mixture of rich, earthy brown and tan-coloured, porcelain tiles, tying all of the different textures and hues of the room in together to create a cozy and inviting kitchen space.

The cool sage green walls of the living room provided a welcome contrast to the warmth of the kitchen area.

All of the room’s furnishings, including shelving units and the entertainment centre, had been either stained or painted a deep brown to match the large, dark chocolate-coloured, suede sofa seated atop a lush, forest green rug.

Varying fabrics of soft creams and whites decorated all elements of the living space, completing the natural, earthy feel of the room.

Logan was going to love this.