“I see Rogue but not Logan,” Piotr muttered, his eyes darting around the room as they settled into chairs.

“Do you think Rogue would recognize me in this get-up?” Angel whispered softly.

“I’m not sure. I don’t know what she’ll even say. I mean she knows I’ve been working with you and the LFAA but…” Piotr reached over to take her hands and squeeze them. He kissed her knuckles softly, a warm, soft smile crossing his face as he saw the usual blood red on her hands had been replaced with a soft pink, with small stones in. “The girls must have wanted to help.” He licked along the edge of one nail and watched her eyes darken.

“Angel!” Rogue’s cheery face appeared before them with a disgruntled Logan in tow. “Wow! I haven’t seen you in ages. How are you?”

“Fine.” Angel shifted uneasily, her gaze darting to Logan’s face. She winced at the dark look in his eyes and moved closer to Piotr.

“Piotr, glad you could make it.” Logan ground out. “And your friend.”

“Thanks. So uh, who all is here?”

“Everyone with a bank balance over a quarter million dollars.” Logan snarled his dark look sweeping around to encompass the entire room.

“It seems to be an excellent turnout.” Angel commented. “Pity they don’t realize just what their money could do.”

“Oh, you mean buy kids.” Logan hissed, catching the brief flash of rage within the blonde’s face, a vaguely familiar face and he wondered about it.

“Logan!” Rogue elbowed him hard in the ribs. “Shut it.”

“Perhaps we should find somewhere else to discuss this.” Piotr suggested glancing around uneasily. “I’d hate to ruin the Professor’s hard work…”

“Good idea. Outside.”

With a smile pasted on her face, Angel followed Piotr as they made for the beautifully crafted French doors. She paused fractionally as her eyes searched for familiar faces, a warm hand on her lower back propelled her forward and she slipped out the door into the warm night air.

A soft expression erased the fake smile as she wallowed in the sweet smell of roses. The back of the shelter had a huge yard; perhaps she should plant a flower garden. It would certainly help with her kids, it was supposed to be relaxing and therapeutic, something they all needed from time to time.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” Rogue asked as she stared out over the massive amount of rose bushes that made up Storm’s prized garden.

“Indeed. I think it would a good idea to have it at the shelter,” Angel said quickly. “The kids could certainly use something that’s constructive to help them deal with the strain and tension that always arises after a group session.”

“How many do you have now?” Rogue grabbed Logan’s arm and dragged him toward the patio furniture.

“I don’t know.” Angel frowned as she tried to think of the number. “Piotr do you remember what the last count was?”

“Well over fifteen hundred.” He replied settling against the stone railing, his arms crossed over his chest. “And unfortunately we keep growing.”

“I’m sure you…” Logan started only to tense at a sudden sound of an annoying beep. “What the fuck is that?”

“My cell.” Angel replied pulling it out of her small purse, a dart of fear racing through her eyes. “Hello.”

“Um Angel?”

“Yes Sally, what is it?” Angel tensed at the young girl’s voice.

“I was wondering if you would mind if I stay in with Lori and Shawna.”

“Honey, you don’t have to ask that. If your friends don’t mind…” Angel shifted. “Sally, what’s wrong? If it’s the nightmares…”

“No.” Weak, tearful, the little girl’s voice held fear and uncertainty. “Liam came in with another girl tonight. She’s got a scar like mine.”

Turning from Logan and Rogue, Angel rose and walked to stand next to Piotr. “Sally, listen to me. I know you think he’s gonna come back and hurt you but I promise you this. If he did I’d hurt him. You and I both know that I don’t let anyone hurt my friends, my family. I know you were with him a long time, and I know you’re still scared, but believe me. You have more friends who would fight for you than you think.”

“So I can sleep with…”

Angel chuckled kindly, “Sally why don’t you check with the other girls? Ask them who wants to have a sleep-over and you can all bunk down on the floor mats in the exercise room.”

“Cool! I’ll ask.”

“Thank you. Now if Liam or one of the boys is there, can I talk to ‘em?”

“Just a second.” Sally said.

Angel winced at the loud shout that echoed over the phone a moment before a deep, baritone voice drifted over it. “Hello, boss.”

“The girls are gonna have a sleep-over in the gym. Put extra guards on duty, I don’t care how many you have to bring in. Call up the secondary team if you want, call in anyone who’s got a pulse. I want my kids to be safe, so you lock that house down tighter than a nun’s cunt. You got me?”

“Gotcha, boss. You coming back tonight?”

Angel glanced at Piotr who leaned toward her, trying to hear what was being said without interrupting. “Probably not. If I do, I’ll call. Anyone comes too close; you do what you have to.”

“Boss, you know I will. Anyone or anything wants these kids; they’ll have to go through us first.” Liam drawled coldly. “And I can guarantee they won’t win.”

“See that they don’t.” Piotr rumbled quietly a moment before Angel disconnected the call. “Sally still worrying?”

“She’s gonna worry till she’s old and grey.”

“She’s one of the oldest thirteen year-olds I’ve ever met.” Piotr replied. “I’ll have to talk to the security store. Maybe they’ve got something better…” Piotr snapped his mouth shut as the doors opened and Jean stepped out along with Kitty and Ororo.

“Here you are.” Jean smiled warmly. “We were wondering where you’d disappeared to.

Sharing a relieved glance Angel and Piotr turned to the tall red-head walking toward them. There was a polish, a refinement in every move she made that came with being sheltered, being loved. It was glaringly obvious that none of the trio had ever walked in the shadows.

“It’s such a beautiful night we thought we’d come get some air. And you know Logan, he can’t stand these functions.” Rogue said.

“Indeed.” Jean glanced at Logan and noted the dark scowl. “I don’t know why you come; you just sit and sulk the entire time.”

“Because I’m head of security for this circus.” Logan grunted, staring at Piotr who didn’t look the slightest bit guilty.

Jean rolled her eyes at his statement and turned back to the young woman standing with Piotr. “I’m Jean Greye, this is Kitty Pryde, and Ororo Monroe.”

“Anne Selkirk.” Angel briefly shook hands with the women. “Do you work here at the school?”

“Yep,” Kitty grinned. “What about you? What do you do?”

“I run a network of non-profit organizations.” Angel replied swiftly, the semi-lie rolling off her tongue easily. “I’m actually in the area on business.”

“Do tell. What sort of organization do you work with?”

“Children.” Piotr replied meeting Logan’s eyes. “We deal with underprivileged kids, runaways, that sorta thing.”

“Fascinating. Would you be willing to do a tour?” Ororo asked. “There are so many kids out there in need of help with the basics, and I would be delighted to see what sort of work you’re doing.”

Angel wondered if her face reflected her disgust, even as her smile broadened. “I’ll have to check with the board, see what can be arranged.”

“I realize this may be a bit rude, but where did you get your gown?” Kitty demanded quickly, sensing the woman’s irritation.

As though programmed everyone glanced down at the gown, eying it quickly.

“Actually, it’s a one of a kind. Designed for me.”

“Would you be willing to share your designer for a few days?” Jean asked. “I would love to have some help designing my wedding gown and…”

Rising Logan shook his head; obviously he wouldn’t be getting a word in edgewise. With a glance at the woman standing with Piotr he frowned, she smelt familiar, she looked vaguely familiar but he didn’t remember seeing anyone with the tattoos this woman had.

Feeling Rogue’s warm breath on his neck he glanced at her. “What?”

“Nothing. I’ll tell you all about her later. Come on, let’s mingle. If we don’t, Chuck’s gonna be disappointed.”

“Ya know what I say to that.”