Rogue put the finishing touches on her makeup and turned to glance at Logan who was snarling and growling at the tie around his neck. Hiding a smile she walked toward him, taking the thin piece of silk from his fingers and knotting it easily.

“How the hell do ya do that so easily?” Logan groused.

“Practices.” Rogue replied before cracking a grin. “And I’ve got a man who wears ties all the time in my head. So you ready?”

“As I’m ever gonna be. Hope that stupid tin-plated punk is here tonight.”

Rolling her eyes, Rogue grabbed her scarf and wrapped it around her neck as she was ushered out the door. “Logan, you promised.”

“I promised not to kick is ass the other day, nothing was said ‘bout tonight.” Logan snapped back. “If he’s involved in that disgusting…I can’t even think of a word bad enough, I’m gonna rip him a new one.”

“We’ll talk to him tonight. Get an explanation. You are not going to get blood on this suit!” Rogue glared at him. “Not going to do it.”

“Fine.” Logan grumbled as he was led to the fancy party he hated attending. He could kick ass without drawing blood, of course if he did happen to nick the bastard who cared as long as Rogue didn’t see the blood.

Stepping in the room his gaze swept the crowd, not spotting the man he was searching for he growled low in his throat. A glance from his wife and he pasted a smile on his face that looked more like a grimace.




“Thanks Jack.” Piotr smiled at the man holding the door as he slid out. Turning he offered his hand to the woman he’d brought to this party. “I’ll give you a call if we need a ride home.”

Jack nodded and smiled at Angel. “My cell’s on.”

Angel smiled back and glanced at Piotr before stepping away from the men to stare at the mansion before her.

“Take care of her.” Jack whispered. “The boys’ll be here within minutes if you need ‘em.”

“She’s my girl. I’ll do what I have to.”

Jack nodded and headed for the drivers seat. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“You ready for this?” Piotr asked taking her hand and placing it in the curve of his elbow.

The warm, comfortable silence stretched out for a moment before she turned to him. “Do you think they’ll create a problem?”

“I think Logan’s gonna wanna explanation but I don’t think he’d create a scene to do it. Believe me, I’ll do whatever I have to keep him quiet without giving too much away.”

“I should have stayed in contact. It’s been two years since I’ve talked to him. Maybe if he knew…”

“Angel, he might not know you. Besides, what we do isn’t about being a mutant or not. Xavier rescues mutant kids, takes ‘em in, but what they do has nothing to do with us. Now, I have my big flashlight with me so if it gets dark I can light the way. You ready for this?”

Angel shrugged, “Let’s play.”

Leading her up the steps he slipped in the front door of the mansion, giving a quick nod to a member of the security team before starting for the massive dining room that had been set up for the evening.

“You look ravishing tonight.” Piotr whispered softly in her ear as the faint but distinct sounds of a string band filled the air.

“You just wanna get lucky later.”

“Sure, but you still look good. And you’re gonna turn a lot of heads.”

“We’ll see.” Angel said as they slipped into the room. Low lights competed with the flickering of candles that were scattered through the room, and on every table. The number of people was impressive, tuxedos and expensive gowns seemed to fill the room. There was more money in jewels and fancy clothes than Angel had ever seen and she glanced at the simple gown that one of the girls had designed and made for her.

“I feel a tad underdressed.”

“You aren’t underdressed,” Piotr whispered softly, his lips so close to her ear she shivered at the tickling sensation. “You’re the best lookin’ woman here, and that gown only shows off more of you. Makes me want to drag you outta here and into the nearest coat closet.”

Angel giggled softly. “What did I tell you about teasin’ me?”

“Not to do it, because it was mean.” Piotr replied pulling her flush against him. “But you gotta admit, it gets the blood flowing.”

Angel flushed slightly and glanced at him. “You uh seem to developed a bit of a problem.”

“Shut-up.” Piotr growled softly. “Come on, let’s find a table so I can sit down. This could get embrassing.”

“Ooh, poor man. I’ll take care of you later. Promise.”

Pressing a hot kiss to the nape of her neck, Piotr pushed her toward a nearby table. Thankful that there were no formal seating arrangements he reached for a chair.



Jean glanced at the door at a gentle nudge from Kitty and froze. “Do you know who that is?” She whispered as Rogue joined them.

“Who?”

“Look.” Jean nodded at the doorway and Rogue turned.

Standing next to Piotr was a beautiful woman with long, curly blonde hair. Most of it had been piled upon her head, a few loose tendrils hung down past her shoulders. Shoulders that were bare save for dark, scrolling lines. The flickering light caught the jewels around her neck and dangling from her ears. A dark gold gown hugged her curves, flowing down over her hips to pool along the floor. With each step the gown shimmered, flickering in a multitude of colors as the sequins caught the light.

“Who dressed her?” Kitty whispered.

“Kitty!”

“Look at her! That gown is beautiful.” Kitty hissed. “Man what I wouldn’t give to find out who designed it.”

Rogue frowned as a memory tickled at her, there was something familiar about this woman, and something she should know. Suddenly it clicked into place as she caught the calligraphy on the woman’s shoulder. “LFAA, oh shit!” Ignoring Jean and Kitty’s shocked looks she darted away, intent on finding Logan before he made a scene.