Author's Chapter Notes:
Angel's Specialist take the first steps to destroy a monster.
Bulldog sat in the driver’s seat of the black sedan and stared across the street. The tall, modern building with its massive glass windows sat in an upscale business district. The sign out front revealed the nature of the business and he swore softly.

“What kind of monster are we dealing with?” Ghost asked softly as she closed the door, a cup of steaming coffee in one hand.

“The worst kind.” Bulldog ground out and reached for the key. “We need someone to go in, someone who can pass as a possible client.”

“I know someone.” Ghost smiled cruelly and shifted. “Come on, I’ll fill her in when we get back to the house.”

Driving steadily, silently, Bulldog pulled up in front of the apartment building that he used as a front. No one, not even Angel knew about the older kids, or the women he’d taken in and he wanted to keep it that way. He didn’t want anyone asking questions about those who were in his care to die. Not even Angel, who would take their deaths much more personally than anyone else.

Leading Ghost up the steps into his apartment he closed the door and tossed the keys aside as the other specialists turned from the television to stare at them.

“Well?”

“We’re going to have to go in to his work.” Ghost stated moving to the counter to pour another cup of coffee.

“Where does he work?”

Exchanging a glance, Bulldog shifted uncomfortably. “For one of the larger law firms in the city. I’ve heard of them and they handle a lot of family law, custody, abuse, divorce that sort of thing.”

“That sick bastard.”

“Yeah. So we need someone to go in posing as a client and get as much information as they can about him. It’ll have to be a woman, one who isn’t going to break and run…”

“I’ll do it.” Soft, almost tender, the words drew everyone’s attention to the normally silent woman who sat nursing a cup of tea.

“Emily it’s a hard task. You’ve…”

“I know the risks.” Emily rose and moved to stare out the window. She wasn’t looking at the shiny cars, or the clean streets. Instead she was remembering the horror of what Mentor had done to her, what she’d endured at his whims.

She could still remember the stench of the room she spent her time in, the room she was raped repeatedly in until Angel came along. Small, maybe ten feet square, with a bedpan in one corner, and a rickety bed in the other. The small table by the bed had held the tools of the trade, condoms, emergency contraceptives, and other sexual aides. Things she had no remorse of not seeing again.

The last time that door had opened, she’d been huddled on the bed, a puddle of fluid beneath her as the man who’d crawled off her after he’d come dressed. She’d thought it was her dad, thought he’d brought another customer but it hadn’t been.

The light had surrounded a tall, stately woman. Her curves framed by the bright white of the lit room behind her. Her face had been cast in shadows, but it hadn’t dawned on Emily to be anything but terrified. When she’d seen her, she’d automatically thought that Mentor had a new degradation in mind.

The remembered screams of the man echoed within her head, even now as she pictured what Angel had done. The man had begged for mercy, offered money, everything he could think of and Angel had slowly; painfully beat him until he was barely able to stay conscious. Wrapped in several blankets and handed to a tall, broad shouldered boy, Emily didn’t have the strength to fight him as he carried her out of that shack and into the cool night air.


“Emily?” Ghost moved closer to the other woman.

“I’ll go in.” Emily replied firmly. “I can get closer to him than you can. He’ll never know what I want until it’s too late.”

“I’ll go with you,” Tinker drawled rising to his feet. The most ‘normal’ in appearance, he kept his tattoos hidden, kept his secrets under layers of clothe and metal. He could easily pass for a husband to a stunning woman, where as the others were more likely to draw attention simply because they bore the evidence of their lives before Angel’s organization.

“I can do it by myself. He’s not my father…”

Tinker nodded quickly. “I realize that. I’m going to provide backup. You keep him talking; I’ll get whatever I can about him from their computer system.”

Emily smiled softly. “Let’s go then. Its lunchtime, if we get there shortly, his secretary might not be there and we can hopefully get a bit more information before anyone’s the wiser.”

“Be careful. Don’t let anyone know what you’re after. If you need help, just beep us and we’ll be there.” Bulldog ordered. “I’m gonna check on the bosses, and get things organized for Judgment.”

Emily and Tinker nodded and exited quickly. Their mission clear, their desire to kill stronger than their feelings of mercy.



“Well?” Emily turned to Tinker.

“I’m going for personal information. Wife, kids, that sort of thing, if you need anything in particular…”

Emily smiled, a twisted, harsh look on her beautiful face. “I’ll just reach into his head and twist his mind until he tells me what I want to know.”

Tinker chuckled, “Remind me never piss off a telepath.”

“Gotcha.”

With her hand in Tinker’s elbow she cross the parking lot and entered the building. A wave of cool, refreshing air hit them as the doors closed on the summer heat. Putting on the business personas they needed, they headed for the elevators. No point in wasting time when you knew where you were going.



Walter Jamison III glanced up at a soft knock upon his office door, a look of disgust and impatience upon his face. “I said I didn’t want to be disturbed Sally.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Emily cooed stepping into the room slowly. “I uh must have made a mistake. I had an appointment to speak to Mr. Lanvers about my custody…”

Walter rose smoothly, the blonde before him was one of Lanvers clients, but he felt no compunction about stealing her away. The commission he’d make would be more than adequate to replace his retrieval expert.

“Please, come in. How may I be of assistance?” He offered her a chair as a tall, sandy haired man stepped into the room.

“This is my husband Tomas,” Emily batted her lashes, and dabbed at her eyes as he sat down next to her. It wouldn’t take long to establish a link to the man’s computer, a simple movement that Tinker could do with his eyes closed. “We’ve only been married a short time and my ex-husband David, wants to sue me for…” she paused to sob dramatically. “Excuse me, to sue me for custody of my daughter. If I lost my child I’d be devastated.”

“Well, I’m sure we can think of something. Perhaps you could tell me what I need to know, and I can suggest a course of action.” Walter declared. “Being a family man myself, I am fully aware of how devoted parents can be.”

Emily glanced at Tinker out of the corner of her eye as he leaned forward, his hands between his legs as she shifted, uncrossing and recrossing her legs. She noted the monster eyed the move, even as she saw Tinker slide the small device into place on the back of the computer.


Thirty five minutes later Emily followed Tinker to the small grey car they were driving and slid into the passenger side. She took the small chip and slid it into the laptop she had under her seat. A few minutes later she was scrolling through his records, going for the details that would kill him.

“Got it.” Emily smirked at her cohort. “Lets get back to base, we’re going to play tonight.