Rogue paced between the window and the desk in the small office of the old building she’d been put in charge of. The word that had come to her about Angel wasn’t good, and the fact that Logan spent a good part of his time with Piotr at Xavier’s unsettled her even more.

She didn’t trust Jean any further than she could throw her, too much history; too many times the other woman had let her down for her to have any faith in her. If there had ever been any kindness within Jean Grey it had long since died out, or perhaps she’d never had any. Rogue didn’t know, nor did she care.

“Miss Rogue?” Soft, hesitant the voice drew her attention to the newest rescuee.

“Hello.”

“There’s a big man here to see you. Says his name’s Bulldog.”

Rogue nodded, “I’ll come and see him.” Rogue followed the young woman easily. The girl was fifteen, with long red hair, wide, big green eyes, and what was commonly referred to as a ‘fuck-me’ mouth. Rogue had met her at the park a week before looking like she wanted to be anywhere but where she was. She’d run from a broken home, hoping to find her real dad only to find herself struggling just to survive the streets.

“Rogue!” Bulldog’s booming voice drew a smile as she hurried toward the young man. Despite his formidable size and his skills, he rarely allowed himself to be provoked into violence. His heart was big and he hated the thought of hurting anyone or anything that didn’t deserve it. One of the reasons, Rogue thought, that he was so very good at being an Enforcer.

“How’s it going?”

“Good. I hear Angel’s doing okay.”

“Yeah I talked to Logan this morning before he headed to check on Piotr. She’s stable but still hasn’t regained consciousness. How about you guys? Piotr said to drop you some cash…”

Bulldog raised a hand and smiled, “Ain’t no need for that. Most of us haven’t spent all our pay anyway. We like to invest it.”

Rogue frowned at him. “What’s that mean?”

“If you check the books you’ll see there’s a monthly contribution from a conglomerate in Canada. One of the Caretakers up there started it.” He explained as they walked through the hallway. “She’s paying us to work for her, to hurt those that take advantage of kids. It was never asked for. We all put ten percent of each check into the account and monthly a deposit of twenty percent of the total account is deposited.”

“Uh twenty percent? Why that much? Why not all of it?”

“Angel has a bad habit of searching paper trails. If we made a full deposit she’d figure out the details and we’d all get the lecture about money and responsibility and how she owes us that money.” Bulldog admitted. “We use the other money for bills, for things that would be beneficial that she doesn’t know about.”

“Bulldog you realize that if she thinks you’re doing something that goes against the code…”

“We’re providing shelters for battered women and kids. Offering a safe haven for rape victims. Angel doesn’t know it but because of what she’s done for us we owe her. This way we can pass along the kindness and generosity that she’s revealed to us. Don’t tell her, Rogue. Don’t tell her about our plans. IF she thinks she’s failing us in some way…”

“I know. Right now though we have more pressing matters to deal with. I heard a rumor that the entire east coast Enforcer ranks have mobilized. That you’ve called them here. Why?”

“Because, it’s time to stop them before they do any more harm. Angel risked her life to save those three kids, risked her future with Piotr for them. She stood in the way of a man who lies and steals like it’s nothing. I may not be a college graduate with a fancy degree but I sure as hell ain’t about to let anyone or anything hurt her. The Enforcers that are coming here, that will be here within the next day or so are specialists. They can do what none other can.” Bulldog patted her on the shoulder. “We’re going to help ourselves in a way that some one else couldn’t, wouldn’t. It’s best if you don’t know the details.”

“You are not going to go against Xavier are you?”

“No. If they don’t want to release our people back to our care when the time comes, we’ll go get ‘em but for right now, we have more pressing issues. I merely want you to be aware that there are going to be unfamiliar faces within these walls soon, faces of men and women who have no mercy within them for those who steal from their victims.”

Rogue stared at the man before her. It didn’t surprise her that Angel’s prized warriors would think that way; it did however shock her that they would be so willing to kill for a woman who for all intents and purposes would survive. Though when she thought about it she realized it shouldn’t; Angel had always been willing to risk life and limb for these people, had never allowed their history, their faults, their sins to affect her perception of them.

A sudden chill crept over her and she shivered as Bulldog smiled at her and hurried off. Somewhere out there a monster sat, unaware of his penance coming, unaware of the cost of his sins. Soon, soon he’d be aware, soon he’d know and when that happened, Rogue hoped that she was kept out of the picture. She didn’t want to know what Angel’s Enforcers were going to do – not this time anyway.



Bulldog parked the van in the shadows of the airport terminal and waited. The northern Enforcers had opted to take the LFAA’s private jet and he would wait for the. A slow smile crossed his face as he thought of the money they’d saved, the money they’d raised to purchase the jet. He snickered, purchase hell. They’d all but stole it under the guise of a failure on the part of the airplane manufacturer.

He straightened as he caught sight of the tall, thin man who strode through the shadows fearlessly. If Tinker had made it then the others were close by. He didn’t move as the side door was pulled open and several bodies piled in from the shadows.

“Tinker’ll be here in a second. Wanted to talk to the pilot.”

“You mean they wanted to make out.”

“Least ways he’s got a woman.”

“Enough.” Bulldog ground out. “We ain’t gathering for no picnic.”

“How is she?”

Bulldog glanced in the mirror at the blue eyes of Ghost and shrugged, “Stable but unconscious.”

“We going to get her?”

“Going after a monster. She’s with Piotr.”

“Who?” Ghost frowned quickly. The name was completely unfamiliar.

Bulldog smiled as the passenger door opened and Tinker folded himself into the seat. “Piotr Rasputin, otherwise known as Tin-man. He’s head of security and Angel’s…”

“You mean she went and got a man to advise her?” Ghost snorted in derision.

“No, she went and got a man to love her.” Bulldog pulled out smoothly, flowing easily into the traffic. “He’s her fiancé and her wing man. Anything you need, you ask him. No exceptions.”

The six men and two women who’d gotten into the van exchanged glances. “Where does that leave us?”

Bulldog sighed and glanced at the mirror again. “You are her Specialists. Neither Angel nor Piotr are aware of this little gathering. The only one who is aware is Rogue…”

“The Rogue? The woman in that picture on the wall in Selkirk?” Ghost leaned forward. “That Rogue?”

“Yes.”

Exchanging another glance the group turned to Ghost who shifted uncomfortably. “Does she know what we do?”

“Not in detail.” Bulldog replied. “But she knows enough.”

“Is she like us?”

“She’s Logan’s woman,” Bulldog snapped. “What more do you want from her?”

“We don’t want to be judged…”

“Rogue is the last person who would judge you. She’s spent months on the streets alone, before Logan came along. Trust her, trust him, it’s time to up the anti and I ain’t about to let that monster get another drop of blood from us or another soul. Angel deserves that much.”

Ghost nodded and relaxed in her seat. There would be time to focus, time to plan their attack. For now, she would rest, she would gather information and she would do it with the same dignity she’d been given.