Piotr jerked awake at the soft hiss of hydraulics and stared hard at Hank as he came lumbering gracefully into the room. Blinking to clear the sleep from his eyes, Piotr stretched and rose to his feet, he trusted Hank merely because Hank had yet to prove untrustworthy.

“How is she doing today?” He asked softly as Hank checked all the monitors and her vitals.

“Resting comfortably. She’s stable, but the bullet did a lot of damage and moving her didn’t help.”

“I had to.” Piotr snarled angrily, any mention of his lack of ‘due care’ with Angel was enough to send his emotions swinging wildly. “I wasn’t about to leave her in that alley to bleed to death.”

“I wasn’t accusing you.” Hank stated calmly. “I’m merely telling you that she needs to have a chance to heal. I fully expect her to make a full recovery.”

“And Dr. Grey?”

Hank tensed and looked at Piotr. The young man hadn’t left the medlab for over two weeks. He’d refused anything but the bare necessities, determined to stay and protect the young woman he’d brought to the mansion. That he cared for her was obvious, he spent hours following Logan’s advice and moving her arms and legs, working her muscles for her, caring for her in ways that no one would consider.

While he’d never say it out loud, the young woman was probably the cleanest person in the mansion. Piotr bathed her at least three times a day, more if Jean touched her. He’d watched from the shadows as Piotr spent hours brushing out the tarnished gold of the woman’s hair, his face a twisted mask of pain, longing, and affection.

Logan had offered little in way of information about the couple, only going to so far as to say that they were a unit. That Piotr would never willingly come back to the mansion, he’d found another cause that he felt was more important. The message was clear, and it saddened Hank immensely.

“I’m going to change her bag,” Hank said moving to get the appropriate bag for the IV. “I see no reason to include a sedative today; she’s stronger than she was when you brought her in.”

Piotr nodded and watched every movement in silence.

Hank noted the way Piotr’s large hand held the woman’s hand tightly, his stare distant, yet beneath the look was a lot of fear. The room was swamped with the stench, and Hank could hear it in the pounding of the younger man’s heart. Whoever his patient was, Piotr cared a great deal about her.

“How is our patient today?” Jean demanded approaching the two men. “Have you taken her off the sedatives yet?”

“Just today.”

Jean nodded and headed for her office, a look of disgust poorly hidden on her face. Hank noted Piotr paid her little attention, instead he focused on smoothing the sheet out over the girl.

With a shake of his head, Hank started for Jean’s office. “Have you a moment, Jean?”

“What is it now?” Jean hissed. “Poor little Piotr upset about me wanting to get that disease infestation out of here?”

“Jean!” Hank gasped. “I’ve checked her blood, and I’ve run every single test upon her that’s known. Whatever you think she has or does not have, she is healthy. She’s a survivor of the streets yes, but that is not up to us to judge. You have no right to make a snap judgment like that.”

“My concern…”

“I strongly doubt that.” Hank replied coldly. “What is your problem with her?”

“I am not going to sit here and have this discussion.” Jean snarled rising to her feet and glaring at him. “She’s just as filthy and disgusting as that little whore Scott’s fucking. She’s one of ‘em and as far as I’m concerned…”

“Scott’s infidelity is not the point here!” Hank glared at her. “That woman risked her life to save a child, to save a life. You’re so fixated on some slight that you’ve forgotten who and what we are!”

“I don’t care about her little cause.” Jean smiled sweetly. “I want her out of my medlab as soon as possible. I will not continue to waste resources on her treatment. Nor do I want anyone who’s touched her in here. Get her where you can move her and then get her out of here!”


Frowning Piotr stared at the wall as he listened to the argument steadily gathering volume. He knew Dr. Grey didn’t like treating Angel, didn’t like what she stood for but to be so callous, so unbelievably cruel? Angel had never done anything to her, never even tried anything when she could have so many times. Maybe the X-Men didn’t know or realize it but Angel controlled some of the best trained warriors in the world. Her Enforcers were skilled killers, men and women with nothing to lose and they could have done serious damage to anything that Xavier had ever wanted to do.

A steady hum from his hip drew his attention and he pulled the cell out of the clip. “Piotr here.”

“Hey boss, how’s she doing today?”

“Stable. I’m hoping that she can be moved back to the apartment soon.” Piotr glanced sharply at the wall behind which Jean and Hank were. “If not for my own peace of mind.”

“AND I SAID I DON’T WANT THAT WHORE HERE!” Jean’s furious scream made him shake his head, his eyes flying to Angel’s prone form.

“Who was that?” Deke’s voice held steel and something else, something that Piotr understood.

“A bitch.” Piotr replied. “Have you been able to get a hold of Doc yet?”

“Yes. He won’t be back for a day or so but he’s on his way. He was making his rounds of all the shelters. Said he’d leave this last one without completing his rounds and rush back. I said I’d double check with you. We both know Angel…”

“No, no that’s alright. Tell him to finish. I’ll be staying with Angel until she’s ready to be transported. Just get Rogue to take a look at the books if anyone needs a couple of bucks. She can make a deposit to everyone’s card and then Angel’ll give everyone their salary…”

“Hey, boss man we ain’t worried about a fuckin’ dollar, okay. Angel’s one of us. She ain’t some piece of trash to be left out…”

“I wasn’t saying that. I just know that you’ve all got bills, got lives outside of the organization. Look, I’m gonna call you later, okay. I don’t want anyone here getting the idea they can tap into our communication system.”

“I’m sorry, man. I shouldn’t have gotten so upset. I know you’re lookin’ out for us. Its just you seem to be worrying about everyone but you. If we don’t hear from you by tomorrow I’ll make contact again.”

“Agreed.” Piotr hung up the phone and lifted his head to stare coldly at Hank who looked embarrassed. “That was one of our specialists. We’ve got our own physician on alert, how long until she could be moved.”

“You can take her now, for all I care.” Jean snapped stalking toward the doors.

“She’s stable, Piotr, but she’s far from out of the woods. I would be remiss if I released her too soon.”

“When her personal doctor gets here, we’ll sign any waivers you have. I won’t allow us to contaminate your fucking school any longer than is necessary.” Piotr’s skin glistened as his mutation kicked in before he pushed it back. “As well, draw up a bill. I wouldn’t want you to have to pay for all of this out of your own pocket.”

“Piotr, please you must understand Jean is not in her right mind now. She’s concerned about the situation with Scott and everything going on. It’s created a lot of stress and…”

“I don’t care.” Piotr interrupted quickly. “My only care is lying in that bed. That’s all I care about, all I want.”

Hank nodded and slowly left the room. Something told him that Jean’s attitude was not going to bring good things. Somehow, a tiny knot was forming in his gut that told him there was trouble the likes of which they’d never experienced on the horizon and it frightened him.