From the front seat of the suburban, Logan watched Piotr and Angel slip into the shadows welcoming embrace. Gone were two separate entities, two individuals, he watched as one formidable weapon was unleashed upon the night and shifted. Something told him this was not going to go well, somehow he knew beyond a doubt that death would come tonight and he wondered who she would call upon.

“Relax, they’ll get it done. It’s what they do.” Deke took a long drag off his smoke and knocked the ashes off into the street.

“I’ll relax when I’m home.” Logan grunted and shifted again, every instinct within him telling him to get outta the car and go help out. It was only through sheer force of will that he managed to remain in the car, even as he saw a figure moving through the throngs of street people toward the exact alley Piotr and Angel had disappeared into.


Piotr leaned against the brick wall, his arms crossed over his chest as he watched Angel slip through the darkness to where the boy they’d come to see sat with two small children.

Dirty, tired, and by every appearance having missed more than their share of meals, the trio were crammed together in a large box. From where he stood he could see the boy’s eyes darting around, searching for any signs of trouble, his eyes glassy and desperate.

“Well?” Smooth, sexy, the voice belonged to a tall woman who stepped out of the darkness from the other side of a dumpster, her long hair done in an elegant bun, her face painted, her clothes well cared for…what there was of them. “Have you thought of what I’ve offered you?”

“They’re young, they need a chance.” The boy muttered shaking his head. “If I’m workin’ for ya then they’re unprotected and I can’t…”

“Oh, sweetie, don’t worry ‘bout ‘em. I’ll make sure they’re taken care of.” The woman’s sultry laughter grated over Piotr’s nerves as he stood straighter and watched a living shadow fall into place just behind the woman.

“How? By sellin’ ‘em to the first pervert ya come across?” Angel snarled into the darkenss. “By treatin’ ‘em like property when they ain’t anything of the sort.”

“Should have known you’d turn up, freak.”

“At least I can sleep at night, Elise. What ‘bout you?” Angel purred into the darkness.

“I sleep just fine. Why don’t you move along, let me conduct my business in private.”

“Why don’t you run along? You got enough souls you’ve destroyed.” Angel shot back as she moved closer to Elise. “You don’t want him, you want them.” She gestured at the two youngsters hiding in the box. “Bring ‘em up to the way that you think they should be. If they don’t work out who cares right? You’re on my turf, bitch, and I don’t appreciate it.”

“Kiss my ass.” Elise hissed a moment before she swung at the pretty blonde before her.

Moving forward quickly, Piotr grabbed the boy’s arm. “No. Don’t. Take your kids and go that way. There’ll be three men in a newer suburban; they’ll get you to a shelter, food, and a bed. Tomorrow you can get any answers you need. Not now.”

The boy darted a glance between the two women who stood toe to toe and the tall, muscular man before him before hustling the two kids out of the alley. He didn’t want anyone or anything to hurt his sister and brother.

Angel grunted in pain as she felt the blow to her ribs even as she used her knee and connected with Elise’s midsection. “I’m not one of your whores.” She ground out.

Angel barely saw it coming as Elise swung, connecting her fist with Angel’s jaw. Stumbling slightly she grabbed handful of fabric and shoved, forcing the other woman into the wall.

The breath was knocked from her as Elise bowled her over, sending both of them crashing into the dumpster. Rolling atop Elise, Angel grabbed a handful of hair and slammed the other woman’s head into the pavement. Clawing and spitting in rage, Angel refused to allow her enemy to beat her, refused to surrender.

Rolling and kicking, the two women seemed unconcerned with the amount of noise rising from the alley as Piotr stood there. He winced with each sound of a fist connecting with flesh, with each crunch of bone, and howl of pain. He could see the tangled locks of blonde and red hair as they fought, hear the pained hiss of breathe as someone bit hard.

Glancing behind him he saw Elise’s ‘boss’ appear for a moment, saw the fear and the uncertainty a moment before he darted off into the shadows, one less pimp to concern themselves with.

Darting after him, Piotr froze at the boom of a gun and turned around. Elise was slowly climbing to her feet, a look of pleasure and victory on her face. Her dark eyes slid through the gloom to catch his. In her hand was a smoking .45, the barrel pointed at the ground, at the woman twitching as blood flowed from a wound and onto the dirty, trash filled cement

With a low snarl of pure rage, Piotr closed the distance between them with only a few strides, the look of pain, of fear over taking the victory in her eyes a moment before he hit her.

Later, when he was asked, Piotr would refuse to acknowledge the facts. When the dust had settled and in the darkest part of night, then and only then would Piotr reveal the truth. The feel of bones smashing beneath his fists, the sensation of flesh yielding to the power of his blows, and the twisted satisfaction he had knowing that the woman who’d hurt his precious Angel, who’d sold the forgetting souls into hell, had died by his hand.

“Baby,” He whispered pushing her hair back, ignoring the bruises, the small cuts and searching for a pulse.

“Boss man, I thought I heard a gun…” Deke’s voice trailed off as he took in the scene.

Laying in a tangled heap against the wall, the monster they’d come to stop was obviously dead. Her neck was broken if the angle of her head was any indication. Turning his gaze back to Piotr who held Angel’s body against his own, Deke swallowed harshly as he sat the blood that flowed down pale flesh.

“We need to get her to a doctor.” Logan said without looking at the enemy. “Hospital…”

“Doc helps us. We don’t use hospitals.” Piotr whispered painfully.

“But he’s not here.”

“I’m not leaving her to bleed to death.” Piotr snarled rising to his feet, his fiancé in his arms. If he had to he’d carry her all the way to Detroit.

“Jean.” Logan caught Piotr’s arm. “They’ll be back at the mansion by now, Jean or Hank will help her.”

“I don’t want that bitch touching…”

“If we don’t do something, she’s gonna bleed to death.” Logan pointed out softly.

“I’ll get the car.” Deke turned and ran off leaving Logan with Piotr and Angel.

“I should have seen the gun. I should have known that Elise…”

“You are not to blame. Now, come on. Let’s get her some help.”

With a short, choppy nod Piotr followed Logan to where the suburban sat idling at the curb. No one made a move to stop them, no one asked a question, everyone knew the reason…sometimes a body had to bleed for their sins.