“I’m still not entirely certain that we belong here.” Jean shifted in the back of the limo and glanced between Scott and the Professor. When Scott had come in one morning and flat out told her they were going to some dinner for a shelter downtown she’d been too shocked to protest. Since then, however, she’d had plenty of time to think about it.

The shelter Scott had mentioned wasn’t mutant related, wasn’t even fit for a decent person. In fact from what she’d managed to gleen from the papers, from the official records it housed whores and drug addicts. What on earth they were here for, she didn’t understand.

“Shut up Jean.” Scott grumbled his expression stoney as their ride pulled to a stop at the appropriate address.

Stepping out into the warm night he stared at the large, well maintained building and shivered. Beyond those doors was a world he still didn’t understand, a world that he tried to forget but couldn’t. Glancing around he stiffened as he recognized Logan’s truck parked a few feet up the paved drive, next to what appeared to be Piotr’s vehicle.

“I must agree with Jean, Scott. What exactly are we doing here?” Charles asked as he settled into his wheelchair, his face a careful mask as he glanced around.

“Call it a learning experience.” Scott replied as the doors opened to reveal two tuxedoed young men. Both were well built, both clean cut, and professional looking. It was only the flare of a gun on one hip that told Scott they could be trouble. “Come on.”

“Evening sir, ma’am.” One of the pair greeted them. “Your name?”

“Summers, and Xavier.” Scott said, the rustle of silk and sequins behind telling him that Storm had joined them.

“How many in your party Mr. Summers?”

“I’m not certain. I RSVPed for twelve, there are some who are running late.”

“I see you here.” The man smiled politely before turning to someone just inside the door. “BETHANY, you’ve got guests.”

A moment later dressed in a simple sheath gown, her hair pulled back from her face, Bethany stepped into the doorway and smiled at the growing group. Her eyes paused for a moment on the man standing with shades on his face before she nodded, “This way. Your table is near the front, as per your request, Mr. Summers.”

“Thank you.” Scott said ushering a still protesting Jean inside and after the young woman. He glanced sideways at his fiancé and wondered if she’d picked up on it yet. If she’d realized that this girl was the one he’d betrayed her with. He wasn’t foolish enough to think she hadn’t figured out he was screwing around, no, he knew she knew and yet he couldn’t feel an ounce of remorse or guilt.

“Thank you.” Jean smiled at the young woman who nodded a warm smile upon her face before she drifted away into the growing crowd. Reaching for her glass she scanned the room, hoping to catch a server.

“Evening ma’am, would you like some champagne?” Soft, lilting the voice drew her attention to a boy standing next to her right elbow.

“Thank you.”

The boy poured carefully, before offering the bubbly to the others at the table. With each glass filled he slipped away into the crowd, even as Jubilee and her date finally joined them.

“Wow. Talk about a fancy do.” Jubilee whistled softly as she glanced around. “Most of these people have been to our place.”

“Indeed,” Charles glanced around. “But I still don’t understand what we’re doing here.”

“Learning.” Scott muttered crossly as he drained his glass and caught the eye of one of Logan’s youngest ‘waifs’. The girl scurried through the crowd to him and paused. “Scotch on the rocks.”

“Anything for anyone else,” the girl asked glancing around, ignoring the shocked looks upon their faces. When she didn’t get a response she merely nodded and darted off into the crowd, returning a few moments later with a tall, carved glass full of ice and a pale amber liquid. “Here you are sir.”

“Thank you. Do you know what the agenda is for tonight?”

“Oh, um, Miss Angel said she’d let everyone know at eight. It’s ten to now so if you’d like to get comfortable,” the girl said. “she’ll letcha know.”

“Letcha know?” Jean leaned closer to Scott as the girl vanished. “Where’d this Angel person get her serving staff? A classroom?”

“No.” The distinct Russian accent had everyone turning to stare at the tall, tuxedo clad figure standing eying them. “At least not a classroom you’d ever be in.”

“Piotr.” Storm gasped rising slightly. “I didn’t know you were coming.”

“I live here.” Piotr replied and glanced upwards. “In the flat upstairs. I do hope you’ve got all your drinks. It won’t be long before we’re underway. My fiancé will begin within a few minutes.”

“What is the purpose of this event?” Charles asked quietly, ignoring the seeming random hustle of the rest of the room. “It is hardly…”

“Education, Professor. Education and possibly preventative awareness.” Piotr replied and smiled warmly at a figure moving toward him in the crowd. “See some of us got tired of picking up the pieces, of doing things that no one in their right mind would willingly choose to do.”

“Who said we were in our right mind?” Angel asked wrapping and arm through Piotr’s. “Good evening, Professor Xavier, Miss Monroe, Dr. Grey. I do hope you’re all comfortable. Have you been served drinks yet?”

“Indeed.” Jean smiled tightly. “We were just discussing the reason for this little soirée.”

Angel smiled warmly. “All shall be revealed. I do beg your indulgence; I really must get this show on the road.”

The X-men watched as the pretty blonde headed for the small stage, her steps confident, perfect as she moved through the crowd. She paused to speak to a server here or there, a smile pasted on her face as she made her way to the podium.

“You said you live here, does that mean you also work here?” Bobby asked scanning the room.

“Here and three other properties. I’m head of security.”

“Bossman?”

Piotr turned to Deke who ambled up. “What’s up?”

“Some guy at the door says he’s here to see his daughter. What do you want I should do?”

“Who’s his daughter?”

Deke’s face hardened for a moment before he smoothed his features into a carefully schooled expression, “Sally.”

Piotr frowned and glanced toward the podium where Angel stood talking to a boy they’d brought in a week before hand. “Where is Sally?”

“Hiding. Said she didn’t want to be on show.” Deke replied seriously.

“I’ll handle it.” Piotr glanced at his watch and sighed, “Tell the boss and see if she wants to meet me at the doors.”

“Uh is she wearing her charms?” Deke asked.

“No. Not tonight.”

Deke visibly flinched and shifted uncomfortably. “Couldn’t you tell her? I mean the last time…”

“Deke, we don’t have time for this. Either you go tell her or send someone else. I’m going to see this ‘man’.” Piotr snapped and stalked away.

“Oh fuck.” Deke shook his head and waved at a slim, scar faced boy. “Jonas, my boy how would you like to do me a favor.”

“What is it?” the boy asked uncertainly.

“Go tell Miss Angel that she’s needed at the door.” Deke smiled as the boy darted off to pass along the message before he turned back to his post.

“Problems?” Charles asked trying to scan the young man’s mind only to be overwhelmed by repulsion and rage.

“Nothing you need to concern yourselves with.” Deke said and hurried away.

With a smile pasted on her face, Angel moved through the crowd passing Xavier’s table quickly and heading for the doorway. Every instinct within her telling her to inflict pain, to inflict misery and degradation upon the fool who’d come to call.

“What the hell is going on?” Jean glared at Scott as the lights dimmed and the noise level dropped to a low hum.

“I told you already.” Scott started only to stop at the clearing of a throat.

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.”

Everyone at the table turned to stare at the woman standing at the podium. Dressed in a beautiful dark green gown the hugged every curve, Rogue smiled at the crowd as pictures of youngsters lined the walls. “I hope everyone has a drink in hand, our hostess has been called away for a small emergency so y’all forgive me for giving her speech.”

Amid the laughter of the room, Jean and Charles glanced at each other as they caught sight of Logan standing to the right of Rogue, his body cast in shadows, the familiar tense, ready to spring stance telling them he wasn’t there for pleasure.

“As a public, non-for-profit organization you may not be aware of us, but you should be. Everyone should be aware of exactly what the LFAA does. Some years ago, a man reached out of the shadows of life and offered a helping hand to a stranger. He didn’t have to, as a matter of fact it went against his very nature but he offered a promise. That promise was kept in so many ways, and it changed things. He became aware that there was kindness, there was acceptance to those who thought themselves beyond redemption and he carried that knowledge with him wherever he went.” Rogue paused and smiled slightly as she glanced behind her. “One night he came across a young woman, desperate, cold, hungry, and at the end of her emotional rope. What she offered him however wasn’t what she wanted, and the lessons learned from before gave him a chance to be more. Instead of dragging her further into the gutters, into the filth of human existence, he offered her a chance.”

Scott shifted slightly, amid the silence of the room. He didn’t know what the meaning of this speech was but he had a feeling he wasn’t going to like the outcome.

“A chance that she took, one that she’s passed on. Ladies and gentlemen, this place, this shelter is not the first, nor will it be the last. It is however, going to be here a long time. The LFAA offers a safe haven to those who’ve been exploited, been abused. I know what you’re thinking. We’re wasting our time here, there isn’t anything we haven’t heard before…but there is.” Rogue paused to collect herself, the need to cry raking her throat. “I’m not going to stand up here and bore you with tales of grandeur, or whatever you think is going to happen. I’m going to tell you the truth. Everything you see here, every glass, every linen, everything is here for one reason and one reason only. The reason is on the walls, is serving you a drink, offering a shy smile. Ad astra per aspera - To the stars through difficulty is a place of healing. So without further ado, I shall pass the microphone over to one of our many guest speakers tonight and as only that you keep and open mind, and an open heart.” Rogue smiled and stepped back as Bethany took the stage.

Bethany glanced around the room and shifted uncomfortably. Taking a deep fortifying breath she exhaled and raised her chin. “Hello, my name is Bethany. I’m nineteen years old, and I’m a survivor.” She paused her hand tightening on the podium. “I’m here to tell you a story, a story of a little girl who was forced into a life of pain and degradation at a very young age. A story that is horrific, terrifying, and completely true. One that you’ll hear again and again tonight. I ask nothing of you, I want nothing from you, and I’m doing this not for myself, but for a woman who risks so much on a daily basis, who has given so much to all of us within her care.”